FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > Leigh Centurions Named As Superleagues Twelfth Side for 2021
132 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1242No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021May 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Rlfans - the most toxic rugby league forum in the world:

Quote: Ste100Centurions "The crowds in Toronto were artificially inflated, see fiction !
With the exception of the MPG there were always empty sections, lot's of 'milling about' which in the UK means wandering & even one of Toronto's own suits admitted to giving away many tickets.

Report's that gates were left open & passers by beckoned in are numerous, as are reports that many local businesses had many tickets thrown at them. British fans visiting saw this. The beer garden was always busy I'll give you that !

It is interesting that Derek Beaumont was able to furnish the RFL & SLE with confirmed ticket sales for all Leigh games home & away with hard evidence but Toronto & Livolsi could not ! D.B also furnished the RFL & SLE with full financial accounts for Leigh Centurions showing a very small operating profit & his own personal wealth accounts yet Livolsi refused !

Despite all of the above & the many sly underhand actions of TW under the watch of Toronto's/Australia's wealthiest racist, Toronto Wolfpack for me had value, that value was to at least attempt to knock down doors & attract fans & more amateur RL players in Canada & the USA.
I have said it before & will say it again, even if Toronto only averaged 6/7/8 thousand in actual verified body counts they still outperformed many U.K clubs in that regard, the problem arises when many are not paying, it is a flawed & unsustainable model, mass cheap ticket sales at Bradford Bulls & a big wage bill was also their undoing if you need an example of how broken that model is.

Yes, Toronto attracted many fans, yes there was an appetite for R.L & Toronto's fans all appear with the exception of the occasional extreme *as usual* to be a great bunch even if their singing/chanting is a bit feeble. Toronto fans didn't deserve what happened, fans almost never do.

Toronto *again* was a new frontier & Wolfpack was something that could have been very, very good but it was poorly planned & badly executed !

Maybe *hopefully* Toronto & therefore RL Canada can rise again & grow, maybe more organically, though the problem with this is if the time taken to do this is beyond the patience of Canadian RL fans.'"

Give over. There were more fans at Toronto that Leigh will ever get in SL

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3357
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
74208_1661111029.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_74208.jpg

Quote: Steph Curry "Give over. There were more fans at Toronto that Leigh will ever get in SL'"

Define the word "fan", Steph, pretty please. Is it:

a) a paying season ticket holder, replete with merchandise from the club

b) a person that gets to as many games as they can (work/personal circumstances permitting) and gets palpitations towards the end of tight matches as a win for their club means so much to them

c) an idle and only vaguely curious passer by who is press-ganged into the ground

d) an opportunistic social net-worker

e) a sot that doesn't even witness the drama unfold

f) a figure in creative accounting?

If your answer is A or B and you still maintain your stance, we can only assume that you heard this from your mate who is "never wrong" and told you that The Bulls would definitely get the 12th spot. Regarding said "singular" mate, as well as his all white rig-out, does he have a Canadian accent, smoke Marlboro and have the letter K tattooed on three knuckles of each hand?

Whatever your answer to the first question (sorry to bamboozle you with two) you should ask "Drop Dead Fred" to help you to change your signature - surely he won't get that wrong! icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain510No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20205 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Bent&Bongser "Define the word "fan", Steph, pretty please. Is it:

a) a paying season ticket holder, replete with merchandise from the club

b) a person that gets to as many games as they can (work/personal circumstances permitting) and gets palpitations towards the end of tight matches as a win for their club means so much to them

c) an idle and only vaguely curious passer by who is press-ganged into the ground

d) an opportunistic social net-worker

e) a sot that doesn't even witness the drama unfold

f) a figure in creative accounting?

If your answer is A or B and you still maintain your stance, we can only assume that you heard this from your mate who is "never wrong" and told you that The Bulls would definitely get the 12th spot. Regarding said "singular" mate, as well as his all white rig-out, does he have a Canadian accent, smoke Marlboro and have the letter K tattooed on three knuckles of each hand?

Whatever your answer to the first question (sorry to bamboozle you with two) you should ask "Drop Dead Fred" to help you to change your signature - surely he won't get that wrong! Defining fan is very ambiguous and your allusion that Toronto fans are lesser due to what you perceive and heard ''reports'' about is very unfair.

Need I remind you of the fairweather Leigh fans. Averaged 6k in super league, was half that in the Championship last year. Thats FACT not ''reports'' and someone saw this etc.

I hope Leigh do well and do stay up but it really is chalk and cheese in regards to what the potential of Toronto was compared to Leigh.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 20195 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2022Feb 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Bent&Bongser "

Define the word "fan", pretty please.

'"

Fan is short for fanatic. To be a fanatic you have to be prepared to pay money to watch games and you have to be interested in the games enough to pay.In TWP's case they had some fans, some people who were fans of Beer festivals, and some people who wandered in because it was largely free to get in.

The club failed to find a single NA player, nor a single cent for televising their matches which they promised and on which they were admitted to the game here, so they forgot all that and started boasting of big crowds.

Calling leigh fans "Fairweather" is nonsense as the 6000 Leigh fans actually all pay to get into the grounds and I say grounds plural as they take a good following to most leigh away games and create a great atmosphere.

Fairweather fans are the sort that turn up when their club is winning easily every week and who disappear when they start losing. Which is the position Toronto Wolfpack were heading for when they lost all their Superleague games. However before they were due to go back to Canada with a losing team their number one fan fled the club......

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 20195 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2022Feb 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Bent&Bongser "Define the word "fan",

Toulouse have fans and in the 2019 season in the play off's their big game against Featherstone Rovers drew 1,068 paying fans for the game of the season.....

I would guess they all paid and that there wasn't a beer festival on.

Remarkably in March 2019, 6,103 people came to see the visit of Toronto Wolfpack to Toulouse. Where the extra 5,000 French fans came from I don't know? Maybe it was the glamour of TWP themselves? Maybe Toulouse rented the Stade Ernest Wallon and put on a beer festival and passed thousands of free tickets around the city?

Maybe it was all Hocus pocus in a joint venture to try to promote the idea of a Transatlantic league??

All I know is leigh have a great core of 6,000 paying fans many who go pay at away games, and many who follow their club and the game and don't need leigh to be winning all the time to support their club. This is one big reason why they got the gig........

RankPostsTeam
Moderator99993No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Fish/PDT_Fish_35.gif
:Fish/PDT_Fish_35.gif

Quote: The Silent H "Defining fan is very ambiguous and your allusion that Toronto fans are lesser due to what you perceive and heard ''reports'' about is very unfair.

Need I remind you of the fairweather Leigh fans. Averaged 6k in super league, was half that in the Championship last year. Thats FACT not ''reports'' and someone saw this etc.'"

This is just a general comment (I haven't checked your quoted stats) but surely there would be a dip in average attendances as the majority of visiting Super League clubs would bring more away supporters than the majority of Championship clubs.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 20195 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2022Feb 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Wanderer "This is just a general comment (I haven't checked your quoted stats) but surely there would be a dip in average attendances as the majority of visiting Super League clubs would bring more away supporters than the majority of Championship clubs.'"

That's certainly the case.

Looking at the stats an all leigh fans crowd (e.g. the sort you would get against catalans) in Superleague was 5,600.

The following year Leigh.v.Batley was 3,200

Having said that whilst in the Championship Leigh fans away support has provided clubs with their best attendances at times doubling gates, so for me the criticism is one eyed,

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain566No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20178 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Nov 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Toronto let most people in for free that’s the reason the fans were inflated, and that’s possibly part reason they don’t play rugby now

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3357
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
74208_1661111029.jpg

Quote: The Silent H "Defining fan is very ambiguous and your allusion that Toronto fans are lesser due to what you perceive and heard ''reports'' about is very unfair.

Need I remind you of the fairweather Leigh fans. Averaged 6k in super league, was half that in the Championship last year. Thats FACT not ''reports'' and someone saw this etc.

I hope Leigh do well and do stay up but it really is chalk and cheese in regards to what the potential of Toronto was compared to Leigh.'"

Evening H, how are you? Well one would hope.

There was no inference that genuine TWP fans were in any way less than other fans, merely that they were FEWER than reported (as admitted by several senior staff at the club).

Wanderer (another bad result today, mate) made a genuine point about lower gates at LSV following relegation to which may be added a factor from my own experience. I was able to attend far more games when Leigh were in SL as I have work commitments on most Sundays.

Harking back to my earlier question regarding the definition of "fan", it was directed to Steph and was mainly rhetorical but everyone started shouting answers from the audience.

NO MORE HELPING THE CONTESTANT, PLEASE!

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain510No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20205 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Donnyman "That's certainly the case.

Looking at the stats an all leigh fans crowd (e.g. the sort you would get against catalans) in Superleague was 5,600.

The following year Leigh.v.Batley was 3,200

Having said that whilst in the Championship Leigh fans away support has provided clubs with their best attendances at times doubling gates, so for me the criticism is one eyed,'"

Are you saying that Catalan brought 2.4k to the attendance? I seriously doubt that.

If so, why the drop the following year if not fairweather fans?

RankPostsTeam
International Star2794
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
70807_1599340376.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_70807.jpg

Quote: The Silent H "Are you saying that Catalan brought 2.4k to the attendance? I seriously doubt that.

If so, why the drop the following year if not fairweather fans?'"

Catalans brought between 20 & 50 fans *was difficult to tell* & in that regard was similar to Toronto fans in Championship *about 20* & so your point is very valid.

There is always an 'uplift' in home & away support attendance from Championship to Super League as their is from Championship to Premier League in football. It appears that our average attendances almost doubled, Toronto's attendances also increased but less dramatically. Look at any before & after promotion average attendance stats & you will find uplift or good time Charlie's increasing the numbers !

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3357
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
74208_1661111029.jpg

Quote: The Silent H "Are you saying that Catalan brought 2.4k to the attendance? I seriously doubt that.

If so, why the drop the following year if not fairweather fans?'"

You may have an unwitting point about "fair-weather" fans, SH. The Batley match was played in early February 2018. Here is the first line from the match report from The Centurions website:

"Leigh Centurions opened their account for the season with a six-try victory at a wintry Leigh Sports Village."

Many other matches were called off completely

Leigh's 2017 home game against Cats was played in April, poisson! icon_biggrin.gif

The point is that, whilst every club experiences a downturn in turn-up (copyright Bongser) upon relegation there are so many possible variables that it is not right to pin the difference's colours to one mast only.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain510No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20205 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Bent&Bongser "You may have an unwitting point about "fair-weather" fans, SH. The Batley match was played in early February 2018. Here is the first line from the match report from The Centurions website:

"Leigh Centurions opened their account for the season with a six-try victory at a wintry Leigh Sports Village."

Many other matches were called off completely

Leigh's 2017 home game against Cats was played in April, poisson! I understand that but the post I responded to was highlighting Donny's contradicting stats.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator99993No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Fish/PDT_Fish_35.gif
:Fish/PDT_Fish_35.gif

Quote: Bent&Bongser "

Wanderer (another bad result today, mate) '"

Another very painful watch! Going to go down as the worst team in the Club's history at this rate. A small number of decent players but far too many not of the right standard.

Apologies for the thread drift but only courteous to respond ...

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain510No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20205 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Bent&Bongser "Evening H, how are you? Well one would hope.

There was no inference that genuine TWP fans were in any way less than other fans, merely that they were FEWER than reported (as admitted by several senior staff at the club).

Wanderer (another bad result today, mate) made a genuine point about lower gates at LSV following relegation to which may be added a factor from my own experience. I was able to attend far more games when Leigh were in SL as I have work commitments on most Sundays.

Harking back to my earlier question regarding the definition of "fan", it was directed to Steph and was mainly rhetorical but everyone started shouting answers from the audience.

NO MORE HELPING THE CONTESTANT, PLEASE!'"

I'm good thanks, hope you are too.

132 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
132 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.75830078125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Round 26 Wigan Away
Once were Lo
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC