FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > Opponents injuries now affect disciplinary outcomes
83 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner14306
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7063.jpg
‎"They supercede individuals, they supercede the team and they supercede the club. Our club is a traditional, working class club and the supporters are loyal and passionate and to see them go away happy really makes my day." Craig Sandercock.:7063.jpg

Looks like we'll have a few more 4 game bans handed out after this weeks matches. Tackle on Percival no different to Boudebza's and again not malicious. Consistancy has to be applied however.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Hmmm is this a new tackle technique though. I saw a few similar late last season and now a few in the first couple of games.
The one in the Salford v Saints game looked, admittedly on 1 viewing, like a deliberate technique of using the body on the back of the legs in order to bring him down. Now before people get worked up I'm not suggesting the technique is deliberately designed to injure. It's probably to try and pull the player back rather than the tackler sliding down his legs because that allows a quick play the ball.

Maybe I'm wrong but it's the technique looks similar to others I've seen recently.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner29212No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6310_1310045241.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6310.jpg

Quote: Him "Hmmm is this a new tackle technique though. I saw a few similar late last season and now a few in the first couple of games.
The one in the Salford v Saints game looked, admittedly on 1 viewing, like a deliberate technique of using the body on the back of the legs in order to bring him down. Now before people get worked up I'm not suggesting the technique is deliberately designed to injure. It's probably to try and pull the player back rather than the tackler sliding down his legs because that allows a quick play the ball.

Maybe I'm wrong but it's the technique looks similar to others I've seen recently.'"

The problem with all these injuries is how you define it as an offense in a clear enough way to make it functional and clear as a ruling.

My personal take on it is that it should be illegal to tackle the legs when a player's upper body is held. There is no safe tackle when the upper body is clamped and you remove the legs. The defenders holding you are naturally fighting to push you back, the tackler joining from the rear of the ball carrier usually forces the legs to collapse in the natural direction of the knee and it's then a lottery whether the holding players can deliver the player to the floor without trapping one of his legs. Incredibly easy to do maliciously and get away with it, also incredibly easy to do accidentally. Seriously knee and ankle injuries aren't rare these days and they need to look at it, not that I think any of the tackles seen recently were malicious in anyway.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman5480No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021Oct 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
187.jpg
[img:2penstlp]http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/5994/saints7sk.gif[/img:2penstlp] "...the biggest boor, the most opinionated pompous bigot that frequents these boards and he is NOT to be taken at all seriously. ":187.jpg

We need to get a grip fast. A meeting of coaches and RFL to ensure that this doesn't spiral out of control.

It's one thing to stop people from charging in at the side of a stationary man's knee, with the intention of breaking his leg. But you can't ban tackles around the legs, and you absolutely can't hold people responsible for how people fall in a tackle. In a tackle, you have two guys of 15 stone moving at speed into a collision. One is intending to avoid being brought to ground and the other is intending to bring him to ground. In that situation, neither has full control of what happens, which is why we have both completed tackles and tackle busts. Occasionally, tackles will result in awkward falls which put pressure on limbs and joints and bones which they can't sustain, and an injury occurs. That is as much a part of rugby league as the posts and the grass. We can't penalise tackles which happen to result in injury, because it would literally be the end of our game as we know it.

Tonight, Percival was trying to crab sideways away from one incoming tackler, in order to retain his feet. The tackler nevertheless managed to get hold of him just as a second tackler arrived. Unfortunately, Percival's slightly splayed legs folded underneath one of the tacklers, and it caused injury. That was absolutely not the tackler's "fault", but an unfortunate consequence of a perfectly legal tackle.

The decision on Boudebza has opened a huge can of worms, and the very few heads in the game which actually have brains inside them need to quickly move to stop this spiralling into something which will change our sport into something very different.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman5480No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021Oct 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
187.jpg
[img:2penstlp]http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/5994/saints7sk.gif[/img:2penstlp] "...the biggest boor, the most opinionated pompous bigot that frequents these boards and he is NOT to be taken at all seriously. ":187.jpg

Quote: Saddened! "My personal take on it is that it should be illegal to tackle the legs when a player's upper body is held. '"

It already is. Any tackler adding to the tackle after the referee has called held - whether high or low - is committing an offence. Percy tonight wasn't held, though. He was clearly trying to continue to make ground and evade the tackle. You can't have a rule which states that tacklers aren't allowed to try and tackle the legs of a man who is still moving. That would be an end to all cover tackles, all chase-down tackles, and all small players in RL. Rob Burrow, Luke Robinson et al have no place in a game in which tacklers are not allowed around the legs.

I'd also argue that it's no safer to have a position where, because leg tackles aren't allowed, you end up instead of having 1 up top and 1 down below, with having 3 tacklers up top, driving the carrier backwards to end up underneath.

We're being misled here by the tendency to talk about our game as if everything in it can be controlled like it's happening at half pace on a training field. I played for 15 years, and have coached on and off for 10. You can practice to do lovely textbook tackles on the training paddock, but when games happen at full speed, with aggressive competition and split-second decisions, the majority of tackles are a long way from being controlled. They're often simply self-sacrificing collisions, and none of the participants has any real control over how that's going to work out. That's the very essence of our game. There will be injuries in tackles. There always have been, and there always will be. You cannot remove those from the game without removing the collision itself. In which case we have tag rugby, which is not what I'd pay to watch, myself.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5035No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2021Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44747_1304271884.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44747.png

Quote: Him "Hmmm is this a new tackle technique though. I saw a few similar late last season and now a few in the first couple of games.

Maybe I'm wrong but it's the technique looks similar to others I've seen recently.'"

It looks similar to the old "ninja" tackle that Rob Parker used a lot, just they've moved the point of contact up a bit from the calf to the knee.

On its own in a one on one tackle it's probably fine 99% of the time but throw in the ball carrier being held up by defenders before the "low" contact and heavy pitches...that's when it becomes unsafe.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner17226No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Mar 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6731_1299024498.jpg
[quote="King Street Cat":1wa9s43t]Some might look at this as being harsh but I think it's fair. When are the Rugby League going to stop persisting with this fantasy expansion. If it hasn't worked by now, it never will! I'm all for reaching out to a wider audience with our game but not at the expense of historical clubs in the homelands.[/quote:1wa9s43t]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6731.jpg

4 match ban for Walne or Boudebza's ban is rescinded. If not, everyone in the game should be questioning the competence of the RFL's disciplinary committee.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

I understand entirely what Roy Haggerty means and agree with most of what he says, I'm just naturally suspicious of both players and coaches. We know that they spend huge amounts of time and effort on tackle technique that is designed to slow the play the ball. And we know that they've developed such techniques that are designed to slow the play the ball BY hurting the player. Whether it's chicken wings, cannonballs, as Gronk! says the old "ninja" tackle or I can remember a period not that long ago where the calves of players would be stood or knelt on and last season we had a few incidents of stamping/standing on players hands.
So whilst I'm always willing to accept that, as Roy says, it's a fast, chaotic game and things can happen. I also think we should be vigilant for such trained techniques and eliminate them whenever we see them.
Accidents I'll accept. Trained techniques I won't.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1440No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201411 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Easty "Looks like we'll have a few more 4 game bans handed out after this weeks matches. Tackle on Percival no different to Boudebza's and again not malicious. Consistancy has to be applied however.'"

I completely disagree. It will spiral out of control if that happens.

I think everyone needs to say that the Boudebza ban was wrong and we should move on and not ask for similar bans for similar tackles. The sport would become a joke if that happened.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1864No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp100.gif
:simpsons/simp100.gif

Quote: ThePrinter "Except that he missed the cup game the following week.'"

icon_biggrin.gif ok then, that fortnight icon_wink.gif was a bad one that, remember seeing it at the time and wincing.

RankPostsTeam
International Star11895No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
White Backgrounds/Statler.gif
:White Backgrounds/Statler.gif

First Utility Touch and Tag Rugby League... Doesn't have the same ring to it.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator12640
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33809_1522680904.png
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_33809.png

Quote: Gronk! "There's 2 cameras and the option to zoom either camera in with simple editing if they wanted to do that too. Just like the "super zoom" Sky use.

The stitch up stuff/they don't like our club! stuff is just the usual spouted by every teams fans when someone cops a ban, doesn't matter which team it is someone always cries foul...HKR are not being painted in a good light with the coordinated effort by Hudgell & Campese to demean the governing body and bring the game into disrepute. They should try being the bigger men and move on.

Also, technically they aren't saying he broke any rules he was just negligent and was the cause of the injury albeit unintentionally

That'd be demeaning the same governing body you expected to 'cop out'?

Hudgell has made specific claims about pretty serious breaches of process. If they're untrue then Hull KR will look bad. If they're true then the governing body is generating its own disrepute.

I doubt you'll build much consensus around that statement saying JB acted against the spirit of the game, unless new footage emerges.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50722_1319672516.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50722.jpg

Quote: Him "Accidents I'll accept. Trained techniques I won't.'"

Nail on the head; and I share your suspicion of coaches and players. There is a mountain of evidence that tackle techniques are constantly evolving to 'win' the ruck, and the latest incarnation is the first man in going high and holding the attacker up, so that others can join one by one and chop him to pieces, turning him over in the process so he ends up on his back, with his head towards his own sticks - they then peel off one by one, which takes the longest possible time. That's considered a defensive 'win' from a coaching perspective, but I'm sure it's not what the rules intended.

I'm not at all in favour of removing collision or risk from the game - but I am in favour of removing the ability of coaches to play fast and loose with the rules to the detriment of player welfare and the spectacle.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13190No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2020Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

'when my life is over, the thing which will have given me greatest pride is that I was first to plunge into the sea, swimming freely underwater without any connection to the terrestrial world' Yves Le Prieur, the real inventor of the aqualung:

Quote: Gronk! "There's 2 cameras and the option to zoom either camera in with simple editing if they wanted to do that too. Just like the "super zoom" Sky use.

The stitch up stuff/they don't like our club! stuff is just the usual spouted by every teams fans when someone cops a ban, doesn't matter which team it is someone always cries foul...HKR are not being painted in a good light with the coordinated effort by Hudgell & Campese to demean the governing body and bring the game into disrepute. They should try being the bigger men and move on.

Also, technically they aren't saying he broke any rules he was just negligent and was the cause of the injury albeit unintentionally

In that case we should have a dozen players up every week. What I think will happen is that the RFL will quietly move on without doing this again, leaving us without any no 9's for a month.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member570
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2024Nov 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3501.jpg
:3501.jpg

Quick question re 'leg whip'.
Does anyone else hear Family Guy's Stewie's voice when they read it?
Leg hwhip. It's a leg hwhip, Brian.

83 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
83 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.70849609375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Tonights match v HKR
Zig
4m
Film game
karetaker
6m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Neruda
11m
Decision on the field
--[ WW ]--
16m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
16m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
26m
TV Games - Not Hull
B0NES
31m
SL CHAT THREAD OTHER TEAMS GAMES
chapylad
44m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
chapylad
59m
Leigh it is
exiled Warri
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Rumours and signings v9
apollosghost
1m
TV Games - Not Hull
B0NES
1m
Proposed rule changes 2025
MjM
1m
Film game
karetaker
1m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
1m
Isa 1 year extension
Rogues Galle
2m
2025 membership/renewals
The Dentist
2m
SL CHAT THREAD OTHER TEAMS GAMES
chapylad
3m
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Play Off SF
FoxyRhino
3m
TV games not Wire
100% Wire
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Decision on the field
--[ WW ]--
TODAY
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
The Cooke Re
TODAY
Worst semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
2025 TRANSFER AND RETENTION RUMOURS
Listenup94
TODAY
Sam Burgess
Bobby Digita
TODAY
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fightback To Secure Grand Final Spot
RLFANS News
TODAY
Squad 2025
Nat (Rugby_A
TODAY
Tonights match v HKR
Zig
TODAY
Isa 1 year extension
Rogues Galle
TODAY
2024 IMG gradings
northernblok
TODAY
Championship Awards
Butcher
TODAY
Season tickets
Hudd-Shay
TODAY
Best Semi
sir adrian m
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Vancouver Le
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
AgbriggAmble
TODAY
Squad for HKR
MorePlaymake
TODAY
Proposed rule changes 2025
MjM
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
Bully_Boxer
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
BarnsleyGull
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Howfenwire
TODAY
Greatest game ever at HJ
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
World Club Challenge
Barstool Pre
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fig..
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.64M 3,416 ↑12380,13114,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
17:30
Wigan
v
Leigh
 TOMORROW
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
York
v
Widnes
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan-Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Fri 4th Oct
SL 29 Hull KR10-8Warrington
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Hull KR 28 729 335 394 44
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Warrington 29 769 351 418 42
Leigh 28 580 404 176 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 27 655 469 186 30
Widnes 26 551 475 76 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22