FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > A better way?
112 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14094
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Jul 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2595.jpg
I'm not Jesus Christ, I've come to accept that now. [quote][b]XBrettKennyX wrote:[/b] Once more the anti SC brigade, purposely or otherwise fail to see the point. Thick as pig swill.[/quote]:2595.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "
WTF, no you have clubs who have less money offering more money? when did Salford last out bid Leeds or Saints for a star player?'"

Who's talking about star players? What could be a star player for Salford, may well just be a squad man for Leeds. Therefore currently it is quite feasible that Salford may offer more money than Leeds to a player due to the total cap on both clubs spending. Under the points system they would both cost the same amount of points but Leeds could pay that player a damn sight more. How's that spreading the talent around the clubs?

Quote: SmokeyTA " only for a very limited amount of players, and in a way that would mean there would need to be some 'give' elsewhere in the squad'"

A player would cost the same points for either team in the example above, where would there need to be give for Leeds?

Quote: SmokeyTA "their points cost wouldnt decrease firstly.'"

If you understood how the cap in that article works you'd know that the points a player is worth decreases after a certain length of time at a club. So a squad player could sit there getting more money with the club losing points off his total after a length of time. Have you read the article?

Quote: SmokeyTA "Secondly why would a big club spend shed loads or money and 4 points on a player who couldnt get a game for them'"

Who's talking about not getting a game? Squad players get all sorts of game time but aren't classed as essential players?

Quote: SmokeyTA " when it would mean should a better experienced non-international become available they have taken themselves out of the running?'"

No different to a monetary cap then?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: Dico "Ah but Smokey, in your example you highlighted your point based on a 50% increase when I said 10. If Wire are paying King 150k he would become 165k on the cap, not that much of a biggie. Where the system would really reward clubs would be coupled with my homegrown ruling of a further ten percent discount totalling 20%.

Where this really works is that overseas players arent directly too expensive and young players arent forced to stay at one club due to being expensive on someone elses cap but when coupling the two together - Homegrown V Overseas, the club is encouraged to take the homegrown player.
That and we can increase payments to players without really increasing the true monetary cap.'"
i was directly addressing a 50% increase.

I would agree with taxing overseas players and exempting youngster, i would be very very much in favour of it

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: SBR "Your system values them as equals. Which is insane. Playing for any international team other than Australia, New Zealand or England would have serious repercussions for a player's chances of a SL contract.'"
that has already been addressed in that there would need to be a separate system for those outside the tier one nations.

Quote: SBR "What about the vast majority of Super League players who would be classed as 'experienced' but without representative honours? The players who make up the majority of SL teams. What's going to spread their talent around the league?'"
they would naturally need to move, having more youngsters and fewer experienced SL players would allow more 'star' players. It would be up to each club to find a balance they were comfortable with

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Billinge_Lump "Who's talking about star players? What could be a star player for Salford, may well just be a squad man for Leeds. Therefore currently it is quite feasible that Salford may offer more money than Leeds to a player due to the total cap on both clubs spending. Under the points system they would both cost the same amount of points but Leeds could pay that player a damn sight more. How's that spreading the talent around the clubs?'"
This would be exactly the same. Unless now you are saying that leeds are going to start spending huge amounts of money on players they would class as no better than a 'squad' man

Quote: Billinge_Lump "A player would cost the same points for either team in the example above, where would there need to be give for Leeds?'"
Because they can only fit a certain amount of players under the cap, when signing one it is likely they would need to release someone else unless they had spare capacity

Quote: Billinge_Lump "If you understood how the cap in that article works you'd know that the points a player is worth decreases after a certain length of time at a club. So a squad player could sit there getting more money with the club losing points off his total after a length of time. Have you read the article?'"
that would be for a maximum of two points for international players, after 5 years service. I highly doubt a team is going to pay over the market rate to keep a player for 5 years so that they can gain a maximum of two points after the fifth year

Quote: Billinge_Lump "Who's talking about not getting a game? Squad players get all sorts of game time but aren't classed as essential players?'"
ok, so why would the pay a shed load of money and 4 points on a player they didnt really want?

Quote: Billinge_Lump "No different to a monetary cap then?'"
except in the monetary system, according to you, Smaller clubs need to pay more to attract poorer quality players, entrenching the bigger clubs position and making it easier for them to attract more better players.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14094
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Jul 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2595.jpg
I'm not Jesus Christ, I've come to accept that now. [quote][b]XBrettKennyX wrote:[/b] Once more the anti SC brigade, purposely or otherwise fail to see the point. Thick as pig swill.[/quote]:2595.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "This would be exactly the same. Unless now you are saying that leeds are going to start spending huge amounts of money on players they would class as no better than a 'squad' man'"

As SBR has said, there will be players of different ability within the same points category, would Leeds pay more for these players if they wanted them, of course they would. But with your system, there would be no limit on what they could pay them.

Quote: SmokeyTA "Because they can only fit a certain amount of players under the cap, when signing one it is likely they would need to release someone else unless they had spare capacity'"

So no change to now then, apart from the fact that the teams that can pay the most can have the pick of the best players within each point range because they can pay them more.

Quote: SmokeyTA "that would be for a maximum of two points for international players, after 5 years service. I highly doubt a team is going to pay over the market rate to keep a player for 5 years so that they can gain a maximum of two points after the fifth year'"

*edit* scrap that comment, I've re read your post www.hullrockers.co.uk:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_25057.jpeg

Quote: wiganermike "Judging by some of his replies to a number of different posts it seems apparent that he (SmokeyTA) has not read the article. Which is worrying as he was the original poster and so started the thread and posted the link.

As I said in an earlier post I think that he is either too stubborn to admit he may be wrong in his insistence that a points system would be any better than the current monetary cap or he is simply unable to understand that there are various problems with the proposed system that he cannot see but that many others can.

He is the one that started the thread and posed the question "a better way?" yet he seems unable to accept that other people believe it may not be.'"

Perhaps the question should have been "A better way for Leeds?" To which the obvious answer is "Yes". Which I suspect is the reason Smokey is so vociferous in his defence of it, what with Leeds currently in the mix with the "smaller" clubs in the table. It must be quite painful falling from such a high horse.

Still, he is conststent if nothing else.

QUOTE | REPLY
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12958No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2011Jul 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

the idea of a points based salary cap has been discussed before this cronulla guy mentioned it

it doesnt stop clubs from overspending so its a dumb idea

the current nrl salary cap works well but perhaps some minor changes as are currently being discussed for cap allowances for juniors and long serving players

clubs are more important than players, as is an even playing field

just because rugby union or AFL want to pay millions for RL players because of a lack of their own talent doesnt mean we have to overpay as well.

they all come back to league anyway

QUOTE | REPLY
SBR
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member5064
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2017Feb 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Others/bones.jpg
(23:25:06) Thecko: who'd want to rent a book? (23:25:10) Thecko: oh, libraries :oops::Others/bones.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "that has already been addressed in that there would need to be a separate system for those outside the tier one nations.'"

Cool so they'll join the mass ranks of experienced SL players...

Quote: SmokeyTA "they would naturally need to move, having more youngsters and fewer experienced SL players would allow more 'star' players. It would be up to each club to find a balance they were comfortable with'"

That's not the point. The point is that the majority of all the squads in SL will be made up of these players. There's only so many young players and so many star players (particularly as your definition of a star player is someone who has recently played for Australia, New Zealand or England). Within this group of players there will be a massive range of quality and that quality will not be evenly distributed around the clubs, it will be distributed according to willingness to spend on salaries. As this group will make up the core of the squads it will have more of an impact than the handful of star players.

QUOTE | REPLY
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Billinge_Lump "As SBR has said, there will be players of different ability within the same points category, would Leeds pay more for these players if they wanted them, of course they would. But with your system, there would be no limit on what they could pay them.

So no change to now then, apart from the fact that the teams that can pay the most can have the pick of the best players within each point range because they can pay them more.'"

yes, they likely would. In fact i have no doubt they would. But it would mean they would have less of the higher points categories and more of the lower. They would be forced to.

This would mean the smaller clubs would find it easier to attract more the higher points categories and more of the lower

Quote: Billinge_Lump "Who said they'd try and sign someone they didn't want? Why wouldn't they want a squad man? It's less of an incentive for the player to want to move.'"
They wouldnt want to pay a shed load of money + 4 points for a squad man. So they simply wouldnt pay them a shed load of money
Quote: Billinge_Lump "
And in the points system a smaller club still needs to pay more money to attract players, but has less chance of doing so because the big clubs can now pay them more money. So the smaller clubs either settle for players within each points total that the big clubs don't want, or bankrupt themselves trying to compete with the increased wages. Therefore entrenching the bigger clubs position even more than now and making it easier for them to attract the better players within each points category.'"

they would likely have 2nd choice of players. There isnt a system possible where smaller clubs wouldnt likely have 2nd choice. But what it would mean is that smaller clubs would have the 2nd choice of the highest standard of players. Whereas now there are very few top quality players at the smaller clubs

QUOTE | REPLY
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Barnacle Bill "Perhaps the question should have been "A better way for Leeds?" To which the obvious answer is "Yes". Which I suspect is the reason Smokey is so vociferous in his defence of it, what with Leeds currently in the mix with the "smaller" clubs in the table. It must be quite painful falling from such a high horse.

Still, he is conststent if nothing else.'"

Ok, Ill admit it, its a system which would only benefit the big clubs, it would mean they could stretch the gap between them and the small clubs. I mean the guy who brought it up is in charge of a club that has loads of money and would be able to spend way more than the cap. They are a huge club and they would be the ones to benefit the most

Oh wait......www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... -smph.html icon_lol.gif
Quote: Barnacle Bill "Perhaps the question should have been "A better way for Leeds?" To which the obvious answer is "Yes". Which I suspect is the reason Smokey is so vociferous in his defence of it, what with Leeds currently in the mix with the "smaller" clubs in the table. It must be quite painful falling from such a high horse.

Still, he is conststent if nothing else.'"

Ok, Ill admit it, its a system which would only benefit the big clubs, it would mean they could stretch the gap between them and the small clubs. I mean the guy who brought it up is in charge of a club that has loads of money and would be able to spend way more than the cap. They are a huge club and they would be the ones to benefit the most

Oh wait......www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... -smph.html icon_lol.gif

QUOTE | REPLY
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: dally messenger "the idea of a points based salary cap has been discussed before this cronulla guy mentioned it

it doesnt stop clubs from overspending so its a dumb idea

the current nrl salary cap works well but perhaps some minor changes as are currently being discussed for cap allowances for juniors and long serving players

clubs are more important than players, as is an even playing field

just because rugby union or AFL want to pay millions for RL players because of a lack of their own talent doesnt mean we have to overpay as well.

they all come back to league anyway'"

92% of fans in Australia have seen through this form of cap and want it changing. CEO's of clubs, the players, Board members, people in charge of smaller clubs like cronulla and rich clubs like the roosters. All looking for change

QUOTE | REPLY
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: SBR "Cool so they'll join the mass ranks of experienced SL players...

That's not the point. The point is that the majority of all the squads in SL will be made up of these players. There's only so many young players and so many star players (particularly as your definition of a star player is someone who has recently played for Australia, New Zealand or England). Within this group of players there will be a massive range of quality and that quality will not be evenly distributed around the clubs, it will be distributed according to willingness to spend on salaries. As this group will make up the core of the squads it will have more of an impact than the handful of star players.'"

No the point is that each club will have a similar make up. 6-10 stars, 6-10 experienced players, about 10 developed players. If you invest in your youngsters and pick up your handful of stars, then the difference will come through the between 6-10 middle players, where there would be a smaller range of quality. Certainly smaller than there is now and for the foreseeable future

QUOTE | REPLY
SBR
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member5064
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2017Feb 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Others/bones.jpg
(23:25:06) Thecko: who'd want to rent a book? (23:25:10) Thecko: oh, libraries :oops::Others/bones.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "No the point is that each club will have a similar make up. 6-10 stars, 6-10 experienced players, about 10 developed players. If you invest in your youngsters and pick up your handful of stars, then the difference will come through the between 6-10 middle players, where there would be a smaller range of quality. Certainly smaller than there is now and for the foreseeable future'"

So that's between 84 and 140 'stars'. Players who have recently played for Australia, New Zealand or England. Something doesn't quite add up here.

QUOTE | REPLY
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12958No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2011Jul 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: SmokeyTA "92% of fans in Australia have seen through this form of cap and want it changing. CEO's of clubs, the players, Board members, people in charge of smaller clubs like cronulla and rich clubs like the roosters. All looking for change'"

all 16 clubs were in favour of penalizing the storm

all clubs favour the current cap but are looking at some minor changes

QUOTE | REPLY
112 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
112 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.4697265625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Questions for Ste Mills
Jacko1500mm
Recent
Tonights match v HKR
Or thane
Recent
Leigh it is
moto748
Recent
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Cokey
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
2025 TRANSFER AND RETENTION RUMOURS
Tony Fax
1m
Sam Burgess
morleys_deck
1m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Emagdnim13
1m
Leigh it is
moto748
2m
Tonights match v HKR
Or thane
2m
Cokey
2m
Betting 2024
karetaker
2m
TV Games - Not Hull
bishops fing
3m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
3m
Rumours thread
PopTart
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Grand final Tickets
NickyKiss
TODAY
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Grand Final Place
RLFANS News
TODAY
Refs referring it to video as a try or not
Barstool Pre
TODAY
Questions for Ste Mills
Jacko1500mm
TODAY
Decision on the field
MR FRISK
TODAY
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
morleys_deck
TODAY
Worst semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
2025 TRANSFER AND RETENTION RUMOURS
Tony Fax
TODAY
Sam Burgess
morleys_deck
TODAY
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fightback To Secure Grand Final Spot
RLFANS News
TODAY
Squad 2025
Nat (Rugby_A
TODAY
Tonights match v HKR
Or thane
TODAY
Isa 1 year extension
Trainman
TODAY
2024 IMG gradings
Victor
TODAY
Championship Awards
FIL
TODAY
Season tickets
Ilkley Fax
TODAY
Best Semi
sir adrian m
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Cokey
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
AgbriggAmble
TODAY
Squad for HKR
MorePlaymake
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Gran..
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fig..
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..

Visit the RLFANS.COM SHOP
for more merchandise!

POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.64M 3,027 80,13214,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sat 12th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R30
18:00
Hull KR
v
Wigan
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sat 12th Oct
SL
18:00
Hull KR-Wigan
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 5th Oct
CH 29 York27-10Widnes
SL 29 Wigan38-0Leigh
Fri 4th Oct
SL 29 Hull KR10-8Warrington
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 28 759 336 423 46
Hull KR 28 729 335 394 44
Warrington 29 769 351 418 42
Leigh 29 580 442 138 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 28 682 479 203 32
Widnes 27 561 502 59 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22