May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif
:fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif

What planet are you on if you think RL threequarters are smaller than Union or that its something to do with differences between the games? That may be the case in SL where we struggle to produce quality big athletes, but I suspect Greg Inglis (even prior his recent weight gain!) would have been bigger than most Union centres. Gasnier, Hodges, Tuqiri etc are all big men. Its one of the reasons we don't compete against Australia - their fast outside backs tend to be big. Ours tend to be small - and sadly often not fast either.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1103No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Jul 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

the original sandy, no aussie imitation!:

Quote: PHIPPS "I'm amazed no one has blamed Steve McNamara yet

seems to get blamed for everything else'"

spelling mistake corrected icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
Administrator25122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7.gif
:7.gif

There's nothing I've seen from the current England halves which suggest Eastmond can't make it to the very top in Union. The fact that Ashton - a lad with plenty of talent but questionable cojones - is tearing up trees in the English competitions ("My God! He runs ... LINES and BACKS UP!"icon_wink.gif hardly suggests that we're talking about a ferocious bear-pit of ultra-competition.

Sadly, Union's decision to re-target its scalphunting operation (after the farcical decision to pay Farrell the wealth of Croesus six months before his body gave out) almost certainly means we can forget about defeating Australia in a Test series within our lifetimes (not that it was ever likely).

It's now open season on any league half, three-quarter, wing or fullback with talent and given Union's resources we can expect to see more leaving in the future. As things stand we're struggling to compete with the NRL's best. Sans anywhere between 20%-40% of our brightest young stars we're out of the picture completely. Indeed, it might not be too long before NZ and perhaps even Papua consider us easy pickings.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1040No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Mugwump "There's nothing I've seen from the current England halves which suggest Eastmond can't make it to the very top in Union. The fact that Ashton - a lad with plenty of talent but questionable cojones - is tearing up trees in the English competitions ("My God! He runs ... LINES and BACKS UP!"icon_wink.gif hardly suggests that we're talking about a ferocious bear-pit of ultra-competition.

Sadly, Union's decision to re-target its scalphunting operation (after the farcical decision to pay Farrell the wealth of Croesus six months before his body gave out) almost certainly means we can forget about defeating Australia in a Test series within our lifetimes (not that it was ever likely).

It's now open season on any league half, three-quarter, wing or fullback with talent and given Union's resources we can expect to see more leaving in the future. As things stand we're struggling to compete with the NRL's best. Sans anywhere between 20%-40% of our brightest young stars we're out of the picture completely. Indeed, it might not be too long before NZ and perhaps even Papua consider us easy pickings.'"

Thats what I am worried about. Rugby Union now going after all of Super leagues best young talent as they see kyle leave at 21 years old.

I am hoping that these players in League want to stay and play League as they love the game! Is there any thought going around that players in Super League or in the youth acadamies are looking for moves to Union?

RankPostsTeam
Administrator25122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7.gif
:7.gif

Quote: kobashi "Thats what I am worried about. Rugby Union now going after all of Super leagues best young talent as they see kyle leave at 21 years old.

I am hoping that these players in League want to stay and play League as they love the game! Is there any thought going around that players in Super League or in the youth acadamies are looking for moves to Union?'"

Union will never be able to steal all of our best players. There are as many reasons to stay playing league as there are to switch codes. And money isn't everything. Some people aren't motivated by high wages - especially if they involve working in an environment which is culturally and/or socially alien to them.

Unfortunately - when it comes to the international game - we can't afford to lose ANY quality to a rival sport. Forget about Australia and NZ, as far as the backs are concerned we are still unable to compete with GB teams of 10-15 years ago (which were being similarly pulverised in internationals).

Back then I used to think that given a lucky break with a good crop of players we *might* just sneak a Test series. Now, with the money that's being thrown around in Union for talented League players I'm thinking I won't see such at any point in my lifetime.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7343
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10025.jpg
For contributions, remittances, payments, and all other matters of any responsibility, please refer to someone else. “The British people love a good hero and a good hate” Lord Northcliffe:10025.jpg

Quote: BrisbaneRhino "What planet are you on if you think RL threequarters are smaller than Union or that its something to do with differences between the games? That may be the case in SL where we struggle to produce quality big athletes, but I suspect Greg Inglis (even prior his recent weight gain!) would have been bigger than most Union centres. Gasnier, Hodges, Tuqiri etc are all big men. Its one of the reasons we don't compete against Australia - their fast outside backs tend to be big. Ours tend to be small - and sadly often not fast either.'"

Certain outliers like Inglis excepted there is no major difference in size between RU and RL backs, or even between SL and NRL backs. Some sides seem to prefer bigger backs, sometimes trading off against speed, lateral movement or even overall stamina, it just depends on the strategy. The England RU team does seem to go for bigger backs, but then they don't score long range tries, 30 metres out against a weak side like Italy is as good as it gets, and their opponents tend not to score those tries either.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2464No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2011Jul 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50156_1266757028.jpg
[b:6jl68bf5][quote="Damo-Leeds":6jl68bf5]Please tell me what a coach’s job is.[/quote:6jl68bf5] [/b:6jl68bf5] [quote="Matt89":6jl68bf5]phipps knows best (everything about rugby league) so don't disagree!!!![/quote:6jl68bf5] [quote="Huddersfield1895 AKA dally messenger":6jl68bf5] Having read the article several times I'm still confused[/quote:6jl68bf5] [quote="Damo-Leeds":6jl68bf5]I shall keep posting on this thread and derail it as much as I want to.[/quote:6jl68bf5] [b:6jl68bf5][quote="PHIPPS":6jl68bf5]Sadly for Wigan as soon as Maguire gets an offer from an NRL club he will be on the plane home before you can say 'meat and potato pie'[/quote:6jl68bf5] [/b:6jl68bf5] [quote="Conorgiantsfan":6jl68bf5]I like you Phipps. I like your style.[/quote:6jl68bf5] [quote="Chorlton RL":6jl68bf5]As far as gauging the potential in the South West, I'd have thought the rumoured Wembley international double-header at the end of the season would be good way to do this. [/quote:6jl68bf5] [quote="Conorgiantsfan":6jl68bf5]You really annoy me. Like genital warts, but worse.[/quote:6jl68bf5]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50156.jpg

Quote: Kelvin's Ferret "Certain outliers like Inglis excepted there is no major difference in size between RU and RL backs, or even between SL and NRL backs. Some sides seem to prefer bigger backs, sometimes trading off against speed, lateral movement or even overall stamina, it just depends on the strategy. The England RU team does seem to go for bigger backs, but then they don't score long range tries, 30 metres out against a weak side like Italy is as good as it gets, and their opponents tend not to score those tries either.'"

I better get down to Specsavers then.

I could have sworn I saw Chris Ashton score a 95m try against twice world champions Australia at Twickers in November last year.

icon_smile.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12958No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2011Jul 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: EX.SALF.UNI "Whereas St Helens...'"

i liked st helens

very friendly people

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7343
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10025.jpg
For contributions, remittances, payments, and all other matters of any responsibility, please refer to someone else. “The British people love a good hero and a good hate” Lord Northcliffe:10025.jpg

Quote: PHIPPS "I better get down to Specsavers then.

I could have sworn I saw Chris Ashton score a 95m try against twice world champions Australia at Twickers in November last year.

Would you say that is typical? Is one long-range try per 5 or 6 internationals a reasonable indicator of how often it happens?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2464No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2011Jul 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50156_1266757028.jpg
[b:6jl68bf5][quote="Damo-Leeds":6jl68bf5]Please tell me what a coach’s job is.[/quote:6jl68bf5] [/b:6jl68bf5] [quote="Matt89":6jl68bf5]phipps knows best (everything about rugby league) so don't disagree!!!![/quote:6jl68bf5] [quote="Huddersfield1895 AKA dally messenger":6jl68bf5] Having read the article several times I'm still confused[/quote:6jl68bf5] [quote="Damo-Leeds":6jl68bf5]I shall keep posting on this thread and derail it as much as I want to.[/quote:6jl68bf5] [b:6jl68bf5][quote="PHIPPS":6jl68bf5]Sadly for Wigan as soon as Maguire gets an offer from an NRL club he will be on the plane home before you can say 'meat and potato pie'[/quote:6jl68bf5] [/b:6jl68bf5] [quote="Conorgiantsfan":6jl68bf5]I like you Phipps. I like your style.[/quote:6jl68bf5] [quote="Chorlton RL":6jl68bf5]As far as gauging the potential in the South West, I'd have thought the rumoured Wembley international double-header at the end of the season would be good way to do this. [/quote:6jl68bf5] [quote="Conorgiantsfan":6jl68bf5]You really annoy me. Like genital warts, but worse.[/quote:6jl68bf5]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50156.jpg

Quote: Kelvin's Ferret "Would you say that is typical? Is one long-range try per 5 or 6 internationals a reasonable indicator of how often it happens?'"

I don't watch enough RU to comment on the statistics of how often long range tries occur.

You might want to ask one of the Union fans on here.

Or better still ask over on the 'Other Sports' forum.

I hear thats the place to discuss sports other than Rugby League.

icon_smile.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1632No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2012Mar 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
43009_1297175231.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_43009.jpg

Quote: PHIPPS "I better get down to Specsavers then.

One of them was regarded as the best try ever at Twickers. Reason being; it was length of the field, which doesn't happen very often if at all in the Onion code.

Length of the field tries aren't exactly unusual in League, but that try would be quite remarkable in League because, considering Ashton's speed and stature, it would be like Craig Huby going to the length.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2464No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2011Jul 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50156_1266757028.jpg

Quote: Chorlton RL "One of them was regarded as the best try ever at Twickers. Reason being; it was length of the field, which doesn't happen very often if at all in the Onion code.

Length of the field tries aren't exactly unusual in League, but that try would be quite remarkable in League because, considering Ashton's speed and stature, it would be like Craig Huby going to the length.'"

I suppose the fact there are 4 players less on the field at any given time in an RL match than there are in an RU match would lead to there being more 'length of the field' efforts in the 13 man code purely for the fact there is more space available on the pitch to run on.

Apart from Offiahs famous effort for GB against Australia at Wembley and Billy Slaters excellent one in Melbourne in 2008 against England I'm struggling to think of many others at international level though I'm sure there have been plenty....and that people will remind me of them

icon_neutral.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1632No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2012Mar 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
43009_1297175231.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_43009.jpg

Quote: PHIPPS "I suppose the fact there are 4 players less on the field at any given time in an RL match than there are in an RU match would lead to there being more 'length of the field' efforts in the 13 man code purely for the fact there is more space available on the pitch to run on.

Apart from Offiahs famous effort for GB against Australia at Wembley and Billy Slaters excellent one in Melbourne in 2008 against England I'm struggling to think of many others at international level though I'm sure there have been plenty....and that people will remind me of them

Hmmmmm... That's good one to mull over... eusa_think.gif

Mike Gregory scored a famous one
I seem to remember Gleeson scoring a long range effort

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2464No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2011Jul 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50156_1266757028.jpg

Quote: Chorlton RL "Hmmmmm... That's good one to mull over...
Tricky to think of many genuine 'length of the field' efforts in an International match isn't it

Yes I think I know the Mike Gregory one... but was that a length of the field one??

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1072
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022Jan 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: PHIPPS "I suppose the fact there are 4 players less on the field at any given time in an RL match than there are in an RU match would lead to there being more 'length of the field' efforts in the 13 man code purely for the fact there is more space available on the pitch to run on.'"

I think it has more to do with 1) RU having unlimited tackles so they could if they wanted get to the try line through a massive number of tackles and rucks gaining only minimal distance between each tackle (Such tactics (minus the rucks) I believe were the reason RL adopted a limited tackle rule in the first place). RL players have only a few chances each time they are in possession to get to the try line. RL players will run into a gap as they need to make ground. RU players will run into a man to draw opposition players into a ruck so that a teammate can either kick the ball upfield or run to make a few metres before instigating the next ruck.

2) The fact that many RU rucks and mauls can result in penalties and that in RU penalties and DGs are worth 3 points compared to 5 for a try. It takes a lot less effort to get to within 30 or 40 metres of the tryline and then get someone to pop over a DG or to take the points from one of the all too common penalties than to ruck and maul all the way to the line. Do that twice or three times and you have more points than a try would give you. The whole RU game is geared to that approach and their players don't want to run a long way for 5 points when the kick for 3 points approach works.

Only ex RL players will regularly look to run with the ball in hand as that is what they have been taught to do in RL. RU is all about kicks at goal, they will wait for a scrum 10 metres out to collapse so they can get a penalty (and will then kick at goal) rather than try to get the ball out and score a try.

94 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
94 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

6.04296875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Finn out Murrell in
MP
9m
Planning for next season
mwindass
10m