JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Mar 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

'There's only one code of rugby.':

Quote: Richard1 "Gleeson should have gone. McGuire and Eastmond are good SL halves but are not the fully rounded 7 that England needs at the moment to give us the organisation. Just because a player is good and flashy in SL does not mean that those skills cross over to the international game.'"

True, but i'd know who i'd rather have playing at 6/7. Even Deacon, as mentioned before would have been a good shout. I just don't understand why SM didn't pick more players on form. But then again, look at what he did for Bradford. The sooner they give Shaun Wane the job, the better...

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman31082No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Id say almost all the players picked, were picked on form and availablilty.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1452No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2014Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
46042.jpg
[quote="Bonzo":23qz4bj5]Corrected. Incidentally, an exclamation mark ends a sentence and does not require a full stop. The first letter of the next word begins a new sentence and should therefore be capitalised. [i:23qz4bj5]Who needs flankers[/i:23qz4bj5]' grammar was actually correct. HTH. :BEAT:[/quote:23qz4bj5]:46042.jpg

My God! worst decision ever. All lockers can do is tackle (and he does that by taking the oppositions head off), and back up. There is a tiny glint of hope when crabtree is on the pitch that he may get on the end of an offload but as far as creating something out of nothing goes, Jammer would be a better bet at stand off.

Please quit crapbanana, Terry Mattersons severed finger could do a better job than you. icon_frustrated.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach985No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Madderzahatter "True, but i'd know who i'd rather have playing at 6/7. Even Deacon, as mentioned before would have been a good shout. I just don't understand why SM didn't pick more players on form. But then again, look at what he did for Bradford. The sooner they give Shaun Wane the job, the better...'"

We have used Burrow, McGuire, Eastmond and Pryce in the past who are all running halves and it has not done much to improve us in the international arena. We do need to choose players on form but they also need to be able to do a job. Sam T will develop into a world class fullback, but because the England selectors did not choose an organising 7 he was forced into a role which does not suit him. Fien does a brilliant organising role for NZ that sorts out the frwards and gives Benji the room he needs. Hes not what i call flashy. Deacon and DB were in form and would have done that job for us. A major error in selection not to take Deacs or convince Broughy to go down under.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15511
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
43854_1545310668.jpg
HUDDERSFIELD - THE BIRTHPLACE OF RUGBY LEAGUE:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_43854.jpg

o'loughlin in that position icon_frustrated.gif would of been better sticking with brown there.

hope it works...

glad widdop dropped just didnt look upto standard for me.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1869No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2018Apr 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51864_1312823830.gif
Just Win, Baby [b:38co1fbc]GIANTS RAIDERS TOFFEES[/b:38co1fbc]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_51864.gif

Quote: Ewwenorfolk "If England get within 20 points of the Aussies i'll be shocked.'"

With lots of Bradford Players, we'd be unstopable. We already have one dingbat from Bradford there, let's take 17.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3614No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Nov 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: who needs flankers? "My God! worst decision ever. All lockers can do is tackle (and he does that by taking the oppositions head off), and back up. There is a tiny glint of hope when crabtree is on the pitch that he may get on the end of an offload but as far as creating something out of nothing goes, Jammer would be a better bet at stand off.

Please quit crapbanana, Terry Mattersons severed finger could do a better job than you.

www.superleague.co.uk/statistics ... eason=2010

Lockers can do a lot more than tackle. 16 try assists in 24 games from loose compared to 20 in 26 apps for Brown.
Quote: who needs flankers? "My God! worst decision ever. All lockers can do is tackle (and he does that by taking the oppositions head off), and back up. There is a tiny glint of hope when crabtree is on the pitch that he may get on the end of an offload but as far as creating something out of nothing goes, Jammer would be a better bet at stand off.

Please quit crapbanana, Terry Mattersons severed finger could do a better job than you.

Lockers can do a lot more than tackle. 16 try assists in 24 games from loose compared to 20 in 26 apps for Brown.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach750No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2014Jun 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: brearley84 "o'loughlin in that position

I know how bad are you when a 13 gets picked in front of you in your own position!

To be fair, there are lots of them not upto standard, he has dropped the ones who he can, hope they young lads go well, a lot of pressure for the debutants.

Like the looks of Lunt

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1452No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2014Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
46042.jpg
[quote="Bonzo":23qz4bj5]Corrected. Incidentally, an exclamation mark ends a sentence and does not require a full stop. The first letter of the next word begins a new sentence and should therefore be capitalised. [i:23qz4bj5]Who needs flankers[/i:23qz4bj5]' grammar was actually correct. HTH. :BEAT:[/quote:23qz4bj5]:46042.jpg

Quote: inside_man "www.superleague.co.uk/statistics_player.php?hs1

Stats are all well and good, but when you are playing in a team that scored 922 points last season, try assists are easy to come by.

The stats also say he made just 30 kicks in general play. If he hasn't had practice putting in kicks at SL level why the hell will we be relying on him to do it at international level. Robinson better have his kicking boots with him Slater must be laughing his ass off. Forget about the cheeky chips over the top and 40 20s we won't have a kicking game.

If I was feeling cynical, i'd have a bet with someone that Tomkins ends up doing most of the attacking kicking, and that he will put in a grubber to the corner which is collected by an aussie winger who goes on to go the full length of the field and score because we don't have a full back because he is doing the kicking because steve crapbanana picked lockers at stand off.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman11032No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
939.gif
[color=#800000:2lx59zd0]FARTOWN FOREVER[/color:2lx59zd0] [color=#800000:2lx59zd0]FARTOWN LEGENDS - Danny, Eorl, Reilly, Stan and Wally[/color:2lx59zd0]:939.gif

Quote: inside_man "www.superleague.co.uk/statistics_player.php?hs1
Basically those stats show Lockers is better defensively and Brown is better offensively.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach750No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2014Jun 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: who needs flankers? "Stats are all well and good, but when you are playing in a team that scored 922 points last season, try assists are easy to come by.

The stats also say he made just 30 kicks in general play. If he hasn't had practice putting in kicks at SL level why the hell will we be relying on him to do it at international level. Robinson better have his kicking boots with him Slater must be laughing his ass off. Forget about the cheeky chips over the top and 40 20s we won't have a kicking game.

If I was feeling cynical, i'd have a bet with someone that Tomkins ends up doing most of the attacking kicking, and that he will put in a grubber to the corner which is collected by an aussie winger who goes on to go the full length of the field and score because we don't have a full back because he is doing the kicking because steve crapbanana picked lockers at stand off.'"

Sams kicking isnt that great and neither is browns, between them did they turn the fullback around last week? Appart from when little kb shoved feastwood into the 37th row, I cant think of one, but I have been wrong before.

We have had a terrible kicking game at this level, for as long as I can remember.

Cant see lockers letting us down, but then again cant see him winning the game for us either, nice little excuse for Mcclueless!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3614No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Nov 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Matt01 "Basically those stats show Lockers is better defensively and Brown is better offensively.'"

But Brown isn't that much better offensively to account for him being a SO and lockers a loose.

Those stats weren't meant to say Lockers is a better stand off than Brown btw, just to counter the comment that all lockers can do is tackle. Should probably have compared him to a non-creative loose forward.

Lockers vs Ben Harrison.
Quote: Matt01 "Basically those stats show Lockers is better defensively and Brown is better offensively.'"

But Brown isn't that much better offensively to account for him being a SO and lockers a loose.

Those stats weren't meant to say Lockers is a better stand off than Brown btw, just to counter the comment that all lockers can do is tackle. Should probably have compared him to a non-creative loose forward.

Lockers vs Ben Harrison.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach36086
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10363_1334937642.jpg
SUPPORT SWAG...:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10363.jpg

Quote: Roy Haggerty "You have to have near-religious faith in Brown to be able to maintain this position after the last two matches, in which he's been frankly rubbish. Brown strikes me as indicative of the problem we have in the UK game. He had a couple of good games when he was much younger, and Eddie and Stevo started referring to him as "exciting young star" "potentially world class" etc. The result was lots of fans began to assume that must be true. Yet he never lived up to any early potential, and is essentially a standard plodder. Unfortunately, McNamara - who I believe to be possibly the worst coach in SL based on his years at Bradford - seems to have been taken in too.

It's not just Brown, by the way. Eddie and Stevo did the same to Ste Tyrer at St Helens, when anyone with eyes could see he was destined for Salford or the National Leagues. Others who've been bigged up into something far beyond their actual ability are Steven Tyrer and Scott Moore, off the top of my head. But there's plenty more.'"

Brilliant post. Our ability to create 3 game stars in this countryis incredible.

I have had a running battle with Cas fans for years regarding Westerman who is yet another creation of media/fan hype. It's not that he isn't a decent enough prospect it's just that for now a prospect is all he is and probably ever will be.

Yet despite that the idiot pairing from SKY were selecting him AFTER 3 SL GAMES!!! as a possible Tri Nations player at the end of that season. If that wasn't enough Eddie a man of incredible stupidity then suggested he may well be captain material.

To be fair you can't blame him, in his head he thinks he's made it, and why shouldn't he think that, that's what everyone tells him.

FFS how sad is that. Can you imagine an Aussie youngster receiving such hype with so little evidence - NO.

Until playing for England becomes something that is hard won rather than a whim then we will remain second rate. I accept some players are special and mature very quickly but they are rare.

For me you want a player at his peak. An average player at the peak of his game will give you more than any promising youngster or fading star. Sadly we don't seem to produce that many of these and those we do seem to get ignored.

RankPostsTeam
International Star420No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2013Jul 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Its not what id of gone for but not a bad team selection, 4 forwards on the bench and 1 in the backs. Mcnamaras clearly trying to out muscle them which is probably our best chance seen as we dont have the skills to match them.

Kicking could be a problem, Is Ryan Hall injured?

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner29212No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6310_1310045241.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6310.jpg

It all boils down to how small fry League is over here. All but a few irrelevant towns in the North of England, plus tiny pockets in London don't play the game. Even in the areas where league is established, it is firmly behind football.

I would love to see actual, genuine participation numbers. I bet England are sub 10,000 in terms of players genuinely playing the game on an ongoing basis. (Not including the 6 or 7 figure numbers the RFL would roll out based on them playing once in school).

The genuine sports stars in this country never even consider league. They would perhaps in Australia. Players like Greg Inglis and Billy Slater do exist in this country, they just try to play football until they are 18 and then turn to a non sporting life. I can see it happening at my son's school. There are two kids in his year who are utterly superb athletes. Monster kids that at 8 years of age are in size 6 adult shoes. They are all cleaning up at football at the moment, the star players on their weekend and school teams. They're not particularly talented, but being so big, strong and quick they dominate the dweeby kids they are with. They wouldn't even consider rugby league and are already being pushed towards trials with the big football teams.

Until we sort things like that out, we can never expect to fill SL academies with anything other than the sparrow legged runts we see now. I imagine the average intake for a SL academy being an Ian Hardman figure, painfully thin and very weak physically. Playing league either because of a direct family link or because they aren't good at football. Compare with the NRL where their reserve grade players are largely big strapping lads. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that when you whittle it down to the few that make it, we are going to fall short when the input into the system is so poor.

122 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
122 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

2.19384765625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
2m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
3m
Film game
Boss Hog
9m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Seth
17m
Best Semi
ratticusfinc
37m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
mwindass
38m
Call for funds
Brew
Recent
Squad for HKR
Lord Tony Sm
Recent
Proposed rule changes 2025
leeds owl
Recent
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Deeeekos
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
59s
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
1m
Rumours thread
Trojan Horse
1m
Call for funds
Brew
1m
Shopping list for 2025
UllFC
1m
Film game
Boss Hog
1m
Man of Steel
matt_wire
3m
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
moxi1
4m
2025 membership/renewals
Armavinit
5m
Planning for next season
Jack Gaskell
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Best Semi
ratticusfinc
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Deeeekos
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
Kick and cha
TODAY
Squad for HKR
Lord Tony Sm
TODAY
Proposed rule changes 2025
leeds owl
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
Wigan Bull
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
Khlav Kalash
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Kevin Turvey
TODAY
Greatest game ever at HJ
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
World Club Challenge
Barstool Pre
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Away Play Off Semi
Douglas Blac
TODAY
2025 Squad
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
2024 Season Review
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
McNamara interview
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
French Elite 1 season 2024/2025 Thread
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Butcher
TODAY
2025 membership/renewals
Armavinit
TODAY
Hull FC ladies
Hessle Roade
TODAY
Kai
Cokey
TODAY
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
moxi1
TODAY
Wakefield v Dons - Sunday 29 September 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
The play-offs
Ckt2487
TODAY
This years play off series
matt_wire
TODAY
Leigh it is
NickyKiss
TODAY
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Play Off SF
Cokey
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M 3,210 ↑32080,12914,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
20:00
Hull KR
v
Warrington
 TOMORROW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
17:30
Wigan
v
Leigh
 Sun 6th Oct
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
York
v
Widnes
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 4th Oct
SL
20:00
Hull KR-Warrington
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan-Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 4 150 48 102 8
St.Helens 4 100 32 68 6
Warrington 4 98 54 44 6
Leeds 4 74 64 10 6
Catalans 3 60 28 32 4
Hull KR 3 54 29 25 4

Huddersfield 4 82 74 8 4
Salford 3 59 54 5 4
Hull FC 4 50 108 -58 2
Leigh 3 18 56 -38 0
Castleford 4 42 138 -96 0
LondonB 4 50 162 -112 0
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 27 655 469 186 30
Widnes 26 551 475 76 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22