JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: shinymcshine "So VR Silverwood thought "Oh I can clearly see throughout the whole movement that it wasn't grounded, but I'd better not upset James as he thought it was..."

Are you Dr K and suggesting its an RFL conspiracy against Salford ?'"

No, Silverwood is just incompetent. Clearly.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member15309No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2020Apr 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2115.jpg
[img:1ucbtp34]http://i62.tinypic.com/2hs0qkg.jpg[/img:1ucbtp34] [color=#BF0000:1ucbtp34]the [size=100:1ucbtp34]C[/size:1ucbtp34]laret [size=100:1ucbtp34]A[/size:1ucbtp34]nd [size=100:1ucbtp34]G[/size:1ucbtp34]old [size=100:1ucbtp34]M[/size:1ucbtp34]achine is ready to roll[/color:1ucbtp34] sunday September 1st 2013, when a dream became a reality!!:2115.jpg

Quote: shinymcshine "The point is that the onfield descision was TRY.

The VR then had to provide conclusive evidence not to give the try. From all the shots at the time nothing was conclusive to show whether the ball was or wasn't grounded, hence the VR has to go with the onfield decision.

You can debate whether or not the precedence of onfield vs VR calls should be changed , but not that the VR should have disallowed a try when he could'nt tell either way if it had been grounded or not.'"

How much more conclusive do you need when no shot shows the ball anywhere near the ground at any point?

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Quote: shinymcshine "Wow, you clearly have no understanding of the VR criteria.'"

This case has nothing to do with the VR criteria of referring a try and the subsequent VR decision.
That comes in to play when the video ISN'T conclusive. In this case it was. The video clearly shows the ball above the ground and not touching it at any point.

The problem wasn't with Child either. I think it's perfectly reasonable to send that up as a try. The problem in this case was with the Video Ref himself not looking closely enough at the video. A lazy decision and one that should not ever happen from a Video Ref.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner5594
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Aug 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6329_1327085433.jpg
...Diagnosing SBD (Sporting Bipolar Disorder) since 2003... Negs bringing down the tone of your forum? Keyboard Bell-endery tiresome? Embarrassed by some of your own fans? Then you need... TheButcher I must be STOPPED!! Vice Chairman of The Scarlet Turkey Clique Grand Wizard Shill of Nibiru Prime & Dark Globe Champion Chairman of 'The Neil Barker School for gifted Clowns' "A Local Forum. For Local People":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6329.jpg

Quote: Him "This case has nothing to do with the VR criteria of referring a try and the subsequent VR decision.
That comes in to play when the video ISN'T conclusive. In this case it was. The video clearly shows the ball above the ground and not touching it at any point.

The problem wasn't with Child either. I think it's perfectly reasonable to send that up as a try. The problem in this case was with the Video Ref himself not looking closely enough at the video. A lazy decision and one that should not ever happen from a Video Ref.'"

This.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2024No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2022Jan 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

You think its "perfectly reasonable" for Childs to award a try when he didn't actually see the ball being grounded, yet unreasonable that Silverwood declined to make a call on the video that didn't conclusively show it either way ?

Its only the video that Sivlerwood didn't see at the time (zoomed in from behind) that shows that the ball clearly wasn't grounded.

RankPostsTeam
International Star294No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: shinymcshine "You think its "perfectly reasonable" for Childs to award a try when he didn't actually see the ball being grounded, yet unreasonable that Silverwood declined to make a call on the video that didn't conclusively show it either way ?

Its only the video that Sivlerwood didn't see at the time (zoomed in from behind) that shows that the ball clearly wasn't grounded.'"

You must have been watching a different TV broadcast than the rest of the forum then as it was clear from the 2 angles that the ball wasn't within about 4 inches of the ground at any point when Solomona had the ball and then lost it

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2024No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2022Jan 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

So why did Silverwood decide, that with all his years of refereeing experience, that he was unable to make what you suggest is such an obvious call ?

I suggest you're being influenced by what occurred subsequently, not basing it on the evidence at the time.

Its Childs that shouldn't have awarded a try based on something he didn't actually see.

But hey, as they say, its all today's chip wrappings

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4199
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Under the laws of the game, it had to be sent up as a try...not seeing the grounding is not a reason not to award a try.

However, how a bloke with the considerable visual tools at his disposal can make such an obvious error is beyond me.

Clearly not grounded.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3092No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2023Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
22575.gif
"Brian McDermott, with a wry smile, nods when asked if he remembers a specific incident which made him realise he was a prick. 'I do', he murmurs.":22575.gif

Just watched it again - and the original footage that Silverwood saw not the subsequent angle.

My thoughts at the time still stand - only Richard Silverwood (and, it seems, shinymcshine) could possibly believe there was any element of doubt whatsoever about it. The ball clearly doesn't get grounded. I would fully expect him to be dropped next week based on past precedent.

RankPostsTeam
International Star294No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: shinymcshine "So why did Silverwood decide, that with all his years of refereeing experience, that he was unable to make what you suggest is such an obvious call ?

I suggest you're being influenced by what occurred subsequently, not basing it on the evidence at the time.

Its Childs that shouldn't have awarded a try based on something he didn't actually see.

But hey, as they say, its all today's chip wrappings'"

Probably in the same way Ganson gave Chris Green a try for Hull at Magic Weekend a couple of years ago, blatant human error. Everyone who ever saw that would have said it was a no try (the Green incident).

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3356
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons1949_files/4193-180guyguyme2003-msnicons.gif
The fans, the members, the people there.. from the day I stepped foot onto that field at the AJ Bell Stadium,I knew I would love that club for the rest of my life. "Jackson Hastings".. Worry a little bit every day and in a lifetime you will lose a couple of years. If something is wrong, fix it if you can. But train yourself not to worry. Worry never fixes anything. Mary Hemmingway, US journalist,widow of Ernest Hemmingway (1908-1986) The Stupid Neither Forgive Nor Forget The Naive Forgive And Forget The Wise Forgive But Don't Forget "I am not young enough to know everything" Oscar Wilde Irish Playwright (1854-1900) One likes people much better when they're battered down by a prodigious siege of misfortune than when they triumph. virginia woolf (1882-1941):icons1949_files/4193-180guyguyme2003-msnicons.gif

Quote: shinymcshine "So why did Silverwood decide, that with all his years of refereeing experience, that he was unable to make what you suggest is such an obvious call ?

But hey, as they say, its all today's chip wrappings'"

Yet later on he sent another up to the video ref and said " try I HAVE SEEN IT ON THE LINE" when it got nowhere near the line and silverwood who by now must have put his spectacles on overturned it, as it at no point got near the line.

Him
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg

Quote: shinymcshine "You think its "perfectly reasonable" for Childs to award a try when he didn't actually see the ball being grounded, yet unreasonable that Silverwood declined to make a call on the video that didn't conclusively show it either way ? '"

An on-field ref has to make an instant decision. In that situation, yes I think it's perfectly reasonable for a ref to think the ball touched the ground.

Yes, I think it's unreasonable, in fact I think it's unacceptable for a video ref, with access to numerous video clips, slow mo etc to see a video of the ball NEVER touching the ground, to give that as a try. The 2 situations are completely different.
The video was not inconclusive. It was 100% conclusive. You could see the ball, at all times, above the ground.

Quote: shinymcshine "Its only the video that Sivlerwood didn't see at the time (zoomed in from behind) that shows that the ball clearly wasn't grounded.'"

Silverwood did see that view, because he was looking at the same video as is shown on tv live. He was commenting on the same video I, and everybody else was seeing.

It was a monumental cockup from Silverwood and had nothing to do with Child.

RankPostsTeam
International Star15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50722_1319672516.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50722.jpg

Given the stupid rule that forces the ref to guess on a decision before he refers it, Child did nothing wrong; he was unsighted, so he went with what looked like from his angle, a common sense interpretation. For Silverwood to fail to see what everyone else did - that it was never anywhere near grounded - is totally unacceptable.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator39601
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Him "An on-field ref has to make an instant decision. In that situation, yes I think it's perfectly reasonable for a ref to think the ball touched the ground.

Yes, I think it's unreasonable, in fact I think it's unacceptable for a video ref, with access to numerous video clips, slow mo etc to see a video of the ball NEVER touching the ground, to give that as a try. The 2 situations are completely different.
The video was not inconclusive. It was 100% conclusive. You could see the ball, at all times, above the ground.

Silverwood did see that view, because he was looking at the same video as is shown on tv live. He was commenting on the same video I, and everybody else was seeing.

It was a monumental cockup from Silverwood and had nothing to do with Child.'"

this has long since been a bug bear of mine over the video ref, as we've seen on sky in the past, they very often only look at two angles, 3 at best rather than making use of all cameras, you heard silverwood say, have we got anything else, obviously someone from the bbc was shaking his head at him, only for 15 minutes later, look we've got the camera shot from all the way down the field.

I occasionally wonder if it's done deliberately on sky so eddie et al can maintain their continued faux outrage at 'ANYTHING'

Him
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg

Quote: Fantastic Mr Catpiss "this has long since been a bug bear of mine over the video ref, as we've seen on sky in the past, they very often only look at two angles, 3 at best rather than making use of all cameras, you heard silverwood say, have we got anything else, obviously someone from the bbc was shaking his head at him, only for 15 minutes later, look we've got the camera shot from all the way down the field.

I occasionally wonder if it's done deliberately on sky so eddie et al can maintain their continued faux outrage at 'ANYTHING''"

Yep I agree with that. We've often seen that situation where Sky suddenly find another camera angle to those that were shown to the VR.

However in this case the long shot from behind was shown to Silverwood and he even commented on the shot that showed the ball above the ground at all times. Yet bizarrely he stuck to the "can't see" line that, going by his comments, it seemed as if he was determined to use as soon as he started. IIRC his very first comments were something along the lines of "can't see what happens. Well it's been sent up as a try." After only a few seconds of looking at just 1 camera shot. He seemed determined that he couldn't see what happened and so wasn't looking properly at the other shot from behind.

As others have said, it's inexcusable. Ben Thaler got demoted for a week after trying to help the walking, talking Monty Python sketch that is Thierry Alibert reach a not batsh|t decision in Catalans. By comparison this is far worse and at least on a par with the Ganson VR decision in the Hull derby game that spelled the end of his career.

100 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
100 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.5166015625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
4m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
5m