FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > Why isn't salary cap working?
90 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
International Star15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50722_1319672516.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50722.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "No. You are wrong. Just plain and factually wrong. If Koukash is prepared to pay Burgess £1m then that is his value. That you may disagree is neither here nor there. You want to define it is artificially inflated because it frames your argument as solving a problem. But it is still wrong. If a new big spending entrant to a market is prepared to spend more for a limited resource that isn't an artificial inflation of its value. It's the natural inflation of a market working properly as is value falling when there is a glut in the market. The salary cap is one sided corporate welfare.'"

I think it's you who's got this wrong. There is research to demonstrate the very phenomenon that you're trying to suggest won't happen; it even has a name - destructive competition - and it clearly describes that sports team owners will, on average, overspend on playing talent if it means they are more likely to win. The result of destructive competition is wage inflation and bankruptcy for some teams.

I think that salary caps are an attempt to safeguard sports clubs from the comings and goings of various owners with different levels of wealth and/or sanity - and to maintain the interest of fans through a more even competition; and history seems to suggest that it works - it disaggregates playing talent and maintains the revenue of clubs (through ticket sales) due to continued interest from fans, who above all, are attracted to unpredictability.

There probably is a decent argument to suggest that in clubs that are profitable, the SC leaves a disproportionate amount of profit for the owner, but that's hardly an issue in RL - at least not in SL.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

The salary cap gives you less control over wages... I just don't know how you debate with this Fox News style approach.

I'm out.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: bren2k "I think it's you who's got this wrong. There is research to demonstrate the very phenomenon that you're trying to suggest won't happen; it even has a name - destructive competition - and it clearly describes that sports team owners will, on average, overspend on playing talent if it means they are more likely to win. The result of destructive competition is wage inflation and bankruptcy for some teams.

I think that salary caps are an attempt to safeguard sports clubs from the comings and goings of various owners with different levels of wealth and/or sanity - and to maintain the interest of fans through a more even competition; and history seems to suggest that it works - it disaggregates playing talent and maintains the revenue of clubs (through ticket sales) due to continued interest from fans, who above all, are attracted to unpredictability.

There probably is a decent argument to suggest that in clubs that are profitable, the SC leaves a disproportionate amount of profit for the owner, but that's hardly an issue in RL - at least not in SL.'"

Destructive competition isnt as easily applicable to sport as your argument supposes. There are, after all, only 17 players in a matchday squad. And there are other barriers, as described earlier within the thread which would stop such a thing. It also could, certainly in the case of RL, that the salary cap encourages more star players to congregate at bigger clubs, giving them an even greater advantage.

The destructive competition argument assumes that all clubs are in the market for star players and it is the open bidding which would force them out. The unfortunate fact is that the lower SL clubs are not priced out of the market because of the lack of the SC but the SC acts as a barrier to market to them.

As i have said earlier in the thread, if destructive competition is a worry (which i dont believe it to be as big a worry as you suppose) there are far better, more natural, fairer and more targeted protections.

I would also clarify that the negatives of destructive competition do not equate to an artificial inflation of market value.

As for your procompetitive arguments in favour of the salary cap, this is the big problem the RFL would have if the case ever did go to court. All those arguments could certainly be made in favour of a salary cap. The problem is that they simply havent been borne out. The Salary Cap hasnt protected clubs from owners incompetence, hasnt maintained interest through a more even competition and hasnt either created an unpredictable competition nor can it point to having taken advantage of the opportunities having done so would have created.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: Him "The salary cap gives you less control over wages... I just don't know how you debate with this Fox News style approach.

I'm out.'"

With no salary cap you have complete control over players wages. With a Salary cap you are limited.

You may less able to strong arm players in to signing a contract for less than their open market value, but you have complete and utter control over what you offer.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1053No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1359.jpg
:1359.jpg

Just look at football clubs if you want to see how rugby would be without a salary cap. In the past twenty years we have witnessed the players costs rocketing up with clubs over inflating players values in an attempt to get the players they want on their teams. success bred success and we now have a situation in the premiership where the only way a tem can challenge the status quo is if they have a millionaire sugar daddy to fund their spending. Unfortunately, as rugby doesn't have a much money as football, any teams that wished to compete for players against their more successful rivals will find they have to sink more of their money into the wages (Leading to the prices inflating) than they would into the stadium, back room staff, the club as a whole.

What you find with Leeds, (As Sinfield famously announced after winning one of his grand finals.) is that the players are being paid less than they could get from other clubs, but they come to Leeds because they believe they stand a better chance to win silverware there than they would elsewhere. Hetherington has his fixed wage structure that he is unwilling to break and he has shown that he would rather players leave than break it. For an example, look at Mark Calderwood. he was the leading try scorer but wanted more money than Hetherington would pay and so he ended up at Wigan and didn't win another trophy.

RankPostsTeam
International Star11861No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
White Backgrounds/Statler.gif
:White Backgrounds/Statler.gif

Does anyone apart from Leeds fans believe that speech given by Sinfield? I doubt most clubs (NRL aside) would be able to afford the wages that the likes of Hall and Watkins would be on. What a load or bollox.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8991
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47035_1386433761.gif
We can be bold enough to make a stand and do battle for our views and beliefs. But we must strive to be mature enough not to resort to unnecessary personal attacks upon people with opposing views.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47035.gif

I see you ignored the point that you can't be both free market, anti profit and pro increased wages.

So I'll leave that to one side.

Lets take on this next fallacy that poor players are being forced to work in slave labour conditions. Surely the government would do something about these poor players not being able to get a decent wage for a decent days pay?

Players not being given their market worth, surely they could go get other jobs elsewhere in the world or in the UK or in other professions???

Surely people would just stop playing RL once they found out that they were on less than minimum wage.

Or could it be that for some people with a limited skill set, the prospect of getting wages way outside what they could achieve in other industries is still a tempting prospect. Because they could be engineers or accountants or surgeons etc....

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: bewareshadows "I see you ignored the point that you can't be both free market, anti profit and pro increased wages.

So I'll leave that to one side.'"
i addressed it. I dont accept your premise. as i described earlier i think you have set out a false dichotomy.

Quote: bewareshadows "Lets take on this next fallacy that poor players are being forced to work in slave labour conditions. Surely the government would do something about these poor players not being able to get a decent wage for a decent days pay?'"
Have you seen our government?

Quote: bewareshadows "Players not being given their market worth, surely they could go get other jobs elsewhere in the world or in the UK or in other professions???

Surely people would just stop playing RL once they found out that they were on less than minimum wage.

Or could it be that for some people with a limited skill set, the prospect of getting wages way outside what they could achieve in other industries is still a tempting prospect. Because they could be engineers or accountants or surgeons etc....'"
some do.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1816No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Biff Tannen "The likes of Wigan, Leeds and Saints bring through quality youngsters, far more more than than the lower reaches of SL. This is a big part of why these clubs are constantly fighting it out for silverware.Most teams have their fair share of big name players but until the number of quality young lads are brought through at other clubs rises to play alongside the sprinkling of star names then we will more than likely see the usual sides fight it out for the trophies. That said, Catalans have a quality looking side and with the right coaching team and fixing up the away form could be easily at the top end.Warrington should improve on a dismal season for their standards, and Huddersfield have the team but need to take that next step now, which is possible so we have at least 6 teams of similar standards capable of silverware, just a couple of those need to fix up some issues.'"

You've hit the nail on the head.
Junior development is the way forward for all Super League and Championship clubs.
Its no coincidence that the best clubs in Super League have the best junior set ups.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member12792
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2020Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1506.jpg
[quote:18jc6kzm]I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls[/quote:18jc6kzm] [quote:18jc6kzm]Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.[/quote:18jc6kzm] [quote="Jamie Jones-Buchanan":18jc6kzm]"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.[/quote:18jc6kzm]:1506.jpg

Quote: Huddersfield1895 "You've hit the nail on the head.
Junior development is the way forward for all Super League and Championship clubs.
Its no coincidence that the best clubs in Super League have the best junior set ups.'"

Seconded.

A successful youth system allows clubs to get more value from their cap allowance. The top clubs can all afford and attract 13-17 quality players, but the game is so often won beyond that. The better quality of youth you have, the more you minimise the impact when you loose your high-earning, high-quality stars.

Leeds were without several players the other week - Stevie Ward, Jamie Jones-Buchanan, Paul Aiton, Liam Sutcliffe just off my head. Two of those were replaced by Josh Walters and Jimmy Keinhorst. Now, I don't know what those two players are paid, but I suspect that there are call centre workers in Leeds City Centre who are earning more this year than the two men who combined for the winning try in the Grand Final.

That doesn't mean the players are underpaid or that Leeds are being cheap - the salary they are being paid is consummate to their experience and value to the club, but having quality in your 'lower paid' positions is what makes the biggest difference.

RankPostsTeam
International Star15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50722_1319672516.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "Destructive competition isnt as easily applicable to sport as your argument supposes. There are, after all, only 17 players in a matchday squad. And there are other barriers, as described earlier within the thread which would stop such a thing. It also could, certainly in the case of RL, that the salary cap encourages more star players to congregate at bigger clubs, giving them an even greater advantage.

The destructive competition argument assumes that all clubs are in the market for star players and it is the open bidding which would force them out. The unfortunate fact is that the lower SL clubs are not priced out of the market because of the lack of the SC but the SC acts as a barrier to market to them.

As i have said earlier in the thread, if destructive competition is a worry (which i dont believe it to be as big a worry as you suppose) there are far better, more natural, fairer and more targeted protections.

I would also clarify that the negatives of destructive competition do not equate to an artificial inflation of market value.

As for your procompetitive arguments in favour of the salary cap, this is the big problem the RFL would have if the case ever did go to court. All those arguments could certainly be made in favour of a salary cap. The problem is that they simply havent been borne out. The Salary Cap hasnt protected clubs from owners incompetence, hasnt maintained interest through a more even competition and hasnt either created an unpredictable competition nor can it point to having taken advantage of the opportunities having done so would have created.'"

It's not my argument - it's one that's been made in research [ispecifically related[/i to sports teams - and it found that on average, in an uncapped environment, owners will overvalue players in pursuit of on-field success; and the result of overvaluing talent is, undoubtedly, wage inflation. It's logical to assume that financial difficulties for less wealthy teams, and aggregation of talent to more wealthy teams, would follow.

The procompetitive argument I think is still sound - we may not have a perfect system in SL, for some of the reasons you've described, but there is precedent in other sports worldwide, and the general consensus seems to be that sports SC's are not subject to anti-trust or anti-competition law; largely because they are an agreement between the clubs and the governing body, and that players sign up to that based on collective bargaining by their representative organisations. Didn't US baseball players challenge it and end up locked out for the best part of a season? The fact that the big 4 sports in the US are still salary capped would suggest that Derek Beaumont, with all his bottles of water, won't get very far in his attempts to overturn it here.

I understand the argument from a purely market forces standpoint - but you're applying rules to a situation in which those rules are not relevant or applicable. Sport is not a perfect market - the product is inelastic, there is no meaningful substitute and the primary driver is not profit maximisation.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: bren2k "It's not my argument - it's one that's been made in research [ispecifically related[/i to sports teams - and it found that on average, in an uncapped environment, owners will overvalue players in pursuit of on-field success; and the result of overvaluing talent is, undoubtedly, wage inflation. It's logical to assume that financial difficulties for less wealthy teams, and aggregation of talent to more wealthy teams, would follow.'"

did they over-value them or overspend on them? If over-valuing how are these studies quantifying value? If their pursuit is on field success, and that is achieved, how can that possibly result in those players being over-valued? Im not disputing that these studies have been done (i know they have) simply that the terminology and conclusions are different to how they are being presented here.

Again, wage inflation isnt a bad thing, my wage inflates every year, as im sure most do. So i dont think it is logical to assume that financial difficulties for less wealthy teams will follow and there would be more aggregation of talent at the wealthy teams.

Put in a real world scenario, which players not at Leeds, Wigan, Saints, Wire, Hudds, Hull or Les Catalans are elsewhere in SL because those clubs cannot afford them under the cap?

Quote: bren2k "The procompetitive argument I think is still sound - we may not have a perfect system in SL, for some of the reasons you've described, but there is precedent in other sports worldwide, and the general consensus seems to be that sports SC's are not subject to anti-trust or anti-competition law; largely because they are an agreement between the clubs and the governing body, and that players sign up to that based on collective bargaining by their representative organisations. Didn't US baseball players challenge it and end up locked out for the best part of a season? The fact that the big 4 sports in the US are still salary capped would suggest that Derek Beaumont, with all his bottles of water, won't get very far in his attempts to overturn it here.

I understand the argument from a purely market forces standpoint - but you're applying rules to a situation in which those rules are not relevant or applicable. Sport is not a perfect market - the product is inelastic, there is no meaningful substitute and the primary driver is not profit maximisation.'"
In the US there is specific exemptions from anti-trust laws which is entirely dependent on agreement with players unions. Something which is shamefully lacking here. But we arent the US and have different laws to them. Id also argue even if exactly the same principles were to apply, when your salary cap is nearly 150m it is a lot easier to argue it is working in everyones favour than when it has been stuck at 1.8m for nearly 15 years falling by about 50% in real terms over the course of its life. You are going to struggle to convince anyone that whilst the TV deal has gone up hugely and attendances and advertising have gone up it is necessary and beneficial for the market to function that wages are 1/3rd of what Wigan were spending when the cap was brought in.

With regards to the market forces argument, as i said, it isnt my preference and is a clear 2nd choice. I dont think you can argue on one-hand a salary cap is necessary and beneficial for all parties and on the other hand that clubs arent even trying to make a profit anyway. As for there being no meaningful substitute I dont think that holds water. Sport is entertainment, not only are there a huge amount of alternative sports out there, there are even more alternative entertainment options .

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: bramleyrhino "Seconded.

A successful youth system allows clubs to get more value from their cap allowance. The top clubs can all afford and attract 13-17 quality players, but the game is so often won beyond that. The better quality of youth you have, the more you minimise the impact when you loose your high-earning, high-quality stars.

Leeds were without several players the other week - Stevie Ward, Jamie Jones-Buchanan, Paul Aiton, Liam Sutcliffe just off my head. Two of those were replaced by Josh Walters and Jimmy Keinhorst. Now, I don't know what those two players are paid, but I suspect that there are call centre workers in Leeds City Centre who are earning more this year than the two men who combined for the winning try in the Grand Final.

That doesn't mean the players are underpaid or that Leeds are being cheap - the salary they are being paid is consummate to their experience and value to the club, but having quality in your 'lower paid' positions is what makes the biggest difference.'"

But that is a self defeating argument. If Leeds get to be exceptional because they are bringing through Josh Walters and Jimmy Keinhorsts and Stevie Wards, and every other club wants to be successful too, then every other club will be trying to sign Josh Walters, Jimmy Keinhorst and Stevie Ward, so the value of those players goes up.

What the salary cap does is stops an ambitious lower club paying out enough to tempt a Stevie Ward to sign for them instead of Leeds because the opportunity cost of doing so is too large. So it keeps the value of Stevie Ward lower than it otherwise would have been. So Leeds can offer Stevie Ward or Josh Walters, or Jimmy Keinhorst a relatively low wage because an ambitious lower club would need to offer substantially more to overcome the other things leeds offer meaning they cant spend as much elsewhere and the clubs who can offer the same 'other' things as Leeds cannot offer a meaningful amount more than Leeds because of the cap.

This is why we see such a relatively small amount of movement of star players. We dont even see them moving between the big clubs. When a star player moves he will go to Union or the NRL. Who was the last star player to move between SL clubs? Stuart Fielden? thats nearly a decade ago.

Of this years dream team, there are 2 NRL players, and 11 SL players, of those 11 SL players 8 are playing for the club they made their SL debut. Of the three to move, JP moved a decade ago. Danny Brough went to Hudds from Wakefield and Luke Gale signed from the relegated club.

The reality of the salary cap is it has destroyed the market for top quality players, they simply dont move from the top clubs. So an ambitious lower club is at a disadvantage in signing young players, have to pay more to attract fringe players and simply cannot sign top players. Its all very well arguing that good youth development allows a club to get more value from the cap, but it is impossible under the cap for a lesser club to create a fair playing field in attracting those players. The SC entrenches the big clubs at the top and the bottom clubs at the bottom.

RankPostsTeam
International Star15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50722_1319672516.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "did they over-value them or overspend on them? If over-valuing how are these studies quantifying value? If their pursuit is on field success, and that is achieved, how can that possibly result in those players being over-valued? Im not disputing that these studies have been done (i know they have) simply that the terminology and conclusions are different to how they are being presented here.'"

If you over-value, you overspend; you're nit-picking on language. And no, I'm not changing the terminology or conclusions to suit - I'm summarising the findings of research specifically into SC's in sport, which is extensive, academic and credible.

Quote: SmokeyTA "Again, wage inflation isnt a bad thing, my wage inflates every year, as im sure most do. So i dont think it is logical to assume that financial difficulties for less wealthy teams will follow and there would be more aggregation of talent at the wealthy teams.'"

Different kind of inflation - as you well know, so it really is logical; if certain teams can suddenly inflate the wages of players to attract them to their clubs, less wealthy clubs either have to gamble to keep up by paying more than they can afford, or fall behind - both resulting in financial difficulties. The more likely scenario is that certain teams have a roster of internationals and talent is aggregated at those clubs - damaging the competitiveness of the league and impacting negatively on spectator interest at all but the wealthiest teams.

Quote: SmokeyTA "Put in a real world scenario, which players not at Leeds, Wigan, Saints, Wire, Hudds, Hull or Les Catalans are elsewhere in SL because those clubs cannot afford them under the cap?'"

I don't know.

Quote: SmokeyTA "In the US there is specific exemptions from anti-trust laws which is entirely dependent on agreement with players unions. Something which is shamefully lacking here. But we arent the US and have different laws to them. Id also argue even if exactly the same principles were to apply, when your salary cap is nearly 150m it is a lot easier to argue it is working in everyones favour than when it has been stuck at 1.8m for nearly 15 years falling by about 50% in real terms over the course of its life. You are going to struggle to convince anyone that whilst the TV deal has gone up hugely and attendances and advertising have gone up it is necessary and beneficial for the market to function that wages are 1/3rd of what Wigan were spending when the cap was brought in.'"

US anti-trust law was based on UK anti-competition law - and now the influence is strongly in the other direction; EU law applies in some cases (possibly SL, since the inclusion of a French team means it crosses borders) and again, that was heavily influenced by the US model; so whilst the terminology and laws are different, they will be closely aligned and I just can't see an agreement that has been subject to collective bargaining being ruled any differently here than it was in the US. And if the SL players union is toothless - perhaps that's something for Jon Wilkin and his comrades to sort out - not a judge.

In terms of it working in everyone's favour - you miss out a key stakeholder group - the supporters; and it would be fairly straightforward to argue that an unregulated bun fight for players signatures would not be in their favour. Unless they happen to be supporters of a club with unlimited funds of course, which is exactly what a SC seeks to avoid.

Quote: SmokeyTA "With regards to the market forces argument, as i said, it isnt my preference and is a clear 2nd choice. I dont think you can argue on one-hand a salary cap is necessary and beneficial for all parties and on the other hand that clubs arent even trying to make a profit anyway. As for there being no meaningful substitute I dont think that holds water. Sport is entertainment, not only are there a huge amount of alternative sports out there, there are even more alternative entertainment options .'"

In economic terms, there is no meaningful substitute; if Coca Cola put their fizzy spew up to £5 a tin, I can buy Pepsi's alternative spew - or a supermarket own brand. If Wakefield put their ticket price up to football levels or go out of business, I can't suddenly start supporting Leeds, or go to the pictures instead - sport doesn't work like that, nor should it, and economists understand that perfectly well - hence the significant amount of research into the subject.

I hope Derek Beaumont does take the RFL to court over the SC - I think he'd lose, and the concept of the SC would have a sound basis in law - then we can stop arguing about it.

RankPostsTeam
International Star7181No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2024Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.:

Quote: bren2k "if the SL players union is toothless - perhaps that's something for Jon Wilkin and his comrades to sort out - not a judge.

'"

I read a tweet recently suggesting that League 13 may be no more.

Lack of support and funds,apparently.

90 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
90 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.638671875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Tonights game v Leeds
Uncle Rico
2m
Bradford Away 140724
REDWHITEANDB
2m
Saints h
The Yellow G
18m
Watson toast
financialtim
21m
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
22m
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
26m
Anyone know about wfd v batley
financialtim
40m
Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
The Yellow G
49m
Wakefield H
Highlander
Recent
Round 17 Warrington Away
The Magic Ra
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Rumours and signings v9
jonh
41s
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Week 17
Fathead96
44s
Arthur In
KaeruJim
47s
Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
The Yellow G
48s
FC v hull kr
Jake the Peg
54s
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Exeter Rhino
1m
Wakefield H
Highlander
1m
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Leeds Home
Wire n Steel
2m
financialtim
2m
Watson gone
Jo Jumbuck
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Warrington Wolves Into Second With Win Over Leeds
RLFANS News
TODAY
Tonights game v Leeds
Uncle Rico
TODAY
Watson toast
financialtim
TODAY
Watson Been Stood Down
Deeeekos
TODAY
Watson gone
Jo Jumbuck
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Giants
satanicmills
TODAY
Just makes me laugh
Wildmoggy
TODAY
financialtim
TODAY
Bradford
BigTime
TODAY
One more Saints inspired novel
glee
TODAY
Bradford Away 140724
REDWHITEANDB
TODAY
Fax v Fev
The Phantom
TODAY
Cas
RfE
TODAY
Round 17 Warrington Away
The Magic Ra
TODAY
Saints h
The Yellow G
TODAY
For the live of god Arthur out
batleyrhino
TODAY
Arthur In
KaeruJim
TODAY
Wakefield H
Highlander
TODAY
Squad for Leeds
Or thane
TODAY
Academy Internationa
Winslade's O
TODAY
Jamie Humphreys NRL Debut
Deadcowboys1
TODAY
York v Dons Sunday 14th July 2024 3pm
Double Movem
TODAY
Warrington v Wigan Super League game to take place in Las Ve
Saddened!
TODAY
Las Vegas Official
just_browny
TODAY
have the rules changed
Spookisback
TODAY
FC v hull kr
Jake the Peg
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Warrington Wolves Into Second ..
Salford Hold On To Beat Unluck..
Lucky Leeds Golden Point Win O..
Wigan Beat Leigh in Derby Thri..
Wakefield Trinity Register Thi..
Englands Youngsters Beat Franc..
Big Win for England Women Over..
2024 State of Origin - Game 2 ..
New Structure for 2025 Challen..
Super League form rewarded as ..
Superb Salford Complete Histor..
Catalans Dragons Survive Secon..
Warrington Wolves Snatch Late ..
Spirit of Rob Burrow Inspires ..
Hull KR Drop Goal Secures Win ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.6M 3,195 80,08514,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R19
11:00
Cronulla
v
Wests
     Womens Super League 2024-R8
17:30
WiganW
v
St.HelensW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R17
20:00
LondonB
v
Castleford
Wigan
v
St.Helens
 TOMORROW
     National Rugby League 2024-R19
08:30
Gold Coast
v
Parramatta
10:35
Brisbane
v
St.George
12:00
York V
v
FeatherstoneW
15:00
Hull FC
v
Hull KR
Leigh
v
Huddersfield
       Championship 2024-R15
Whitehaven
v
Toulouse
Catalans
v
Salford
 Sun 14th Jul
12:00
Wire W
v
LeedsW
       League One 2024-R15
14:00
Newcastle
v
Hunslet
14:00
Hudds W
v
BarrowW
       Championship 2024-R15
Batley
v
Barrow
Bradford
v
Wakefield
Halifax
v
Featherstone
Sheffield
v
Swinton
Widnes
v
Dewsbury
York
v
Doncaster
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 12th Jul
SL
LondonB-Castleford
WSL2024
WiganW-St.HelensW
SL
Wigan-St.Helens
Sat 13th Jul
SL
Hull FC-Hull KR
SL
Leigh-Huddersfield
SL
Catalans-Salford
Wed 17th Jul
SOO
11:05
Queensland-New South Wales
Sat 17th Aug
SL
18:00
Warrington-Leeds
SL
15:30
Wigan-St.Helens
SL
13:00
Hull FC-LondonB
Sun 18th Aug
SL
13:00
Leigh-Salford
SL
15:30
Catalans-Hull KR
SL
18:00
Huddersfield-Castleford
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Thu 11th Jul
NRL 19 Dolphins36-28Souths
SL 17 Warrington30-18Leeds
Sun 7th Jul
NRL 18 Sydney42-12St.George
NRL 18 Canberra12-16Newcastle
SL 16 Salford22-20Hull FC
CH 14 Dewsbury16-20Doncaster
CH 14 Featherstone66-0Whitehaven
CH 14 Swinton24-12Widnes
CH 14 Wakefield34-12Batley
CH 14 York54-12Barrow
L1 14 Newcastle0-44Workington
L1 14 Crusaders18-32Midlands
L1 14 Keighley20-20Rochdale
WSL2024 7 Wire W10-32Hudds W
WSL2024 7 York V44-0BarrowW
Sat 6th Jul
NRL 18 Canterbury13-12NZ Warriors
NRL 18 Wests28-40Melbourne
NRL 18 NQL Cowboys20-22Manly
SL 16 Hull KR14-16Catalans
SL 16 Leeds17-16LondonB
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 15 427 170 257 26
Warrington 17 436 231 205 24
St.Helens 16 429 170 259 22
Hull KR 16 397 217 180 22
Salford 16 317 308 9 22
Catalans 16 304 234 70 20

Leeds 17 309 316 -7 18
Huddersfield 16 298 365 -67 12
Leigh 15 270 250 20 11
Castleford 16 246 435 -189 9
Hull FC 16 218 496 -278 4
LondonB 16 156 615 -459 2
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 14 520 154 366 28
Sheffield 14 382 217 165 22
Bradford 14 353 230 123 19
Toulouse 13 344 186 158 17
Widnes 14 327 269 58 15
Featherstone 14 396 283 113 14

Doncaster 14 257 341 -84 13
York 15 339 305 34 12
Batley 14 217 320 -103 12
Swinton 14 284 344 -60 10