FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > Greatest player of all time?
146 posts in 11 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
International Star257No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2015Aug 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
67401_1399996203.jpg
Beneath the rule of men entirely great, the pen is mightier than the sword.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_67401.jpg

It's interesting to note that most people state that the best players are either half backs or loose men. As loose men used to be creative and not additional props.

Yet some of the greatest players of all time have worn the number 8, 9, 10, 11 & 12 shirts without ever really getting the appreciation they deserved. It's these guys who laid the platform for the Lewis, Gregory, Johns, Hanley (depending on the position he played) etc to play so well. Yet when it comes to the honours and the accolades they rarely feature.

I've watched the game since the mid 70s and I've seen some truly great players. But only a handful who I really looked forward to watching (out of a Hull shirt). Hanley was my first non Hull hero. Never forget watching him and meeting him. Lewis was awesome (all be it not so good for Trinity or was he too far ahead of his team mates). The Aussie teams of 78 & 82 were full of amazing players.
That said many of the Aussie teams I've seen have had fantastic players in who I feel privileged to have watched.
I've always loved the Kiwis and feel the team of 1980 had some extraordinary talent which gets very little recognition compared to today's greats. Obviously the Hull teams benefited greatly from some of them. Fred Ah Kuoi in his prime was brilliant although his stint in the NRL apparently wasn't so great.
All said and done the five who have given me the greatest pleasure are Knocker Norton, Peter Sterling, Ellery Hanley, James Leuluai and Darren Lockyer.
Not sure any could be absolutely the greatest ever. Today's game is so different to the one I grew up with. I find it amazing how half backs create so little today with 10metres + to play with yet Sterlo, Gregory, Lewis, Millward, Hepworth created so much with so little space.

But I honestly couldn't argue against any that have been mentioned in this thread. Just think of the engine room when thinking about true greats. (Not that I've mentioned many Hahaha)

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12097No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: @airlie_bird "It's interesting to note that most people state that the best players are either half backs or loose men. As loose men used to be creative and not additional props.

Yet some of the greatest players of all time have worn the number 8, 9, 10, 11 & 12 shirts without ever really getting the appreciation they deserved. It's these guys who laid the platform for the Lewis, Gregory, Johns, Hanley (depending on the position he played) etc to play so well. Yet when it comes to the honours and the accolades they rarely feature.

I've watched the game since the mid 70s and I've seen some truly great players. But only a handful who I really looked forward to watching (out of a Hull shirt). Hanley was my first non Hull hero. Never forget watching him and meeting him. Lewis was awesome (all be it not so good for Trinity or was he too far ahead of his team mates). The Aussie teams of 78 & 82 were full of amazing players.
That said many of the Aussie teams I've seen have had fantastic players in who I feel privileged to have watched.
I've always loved the Kiwis and feel the team of 1980 had some extraordinary talent which gets very little recognition compared to today's greats. Obviously the Hull teams benefited greatly from some of them. Fred Ah Kuoi in his prime was brilliant although his stint in the NRL apparently wasn't so great.
All said and done the five who have given me the greatest pleasure are Knocker Norton, Peter Sterling, Ellery Hanley, James Leuluai and Darren Lockyer.
Not sure any could be absolutely the greatest ever. Today's game is so different to the one I grew up with. I find it amazing how half backs create so little today with 10metres + to play with yet Sterlo, Gregory, Lewis, Millward, Hepworth created so much with so little space.

But I honestly couldn't argue against any that have been mentioned in this thread. Just think of the engine room when thinking about true greats. (Not that I've mentioned many Hahaha)'"

The reason half backs struggle to create space these days is because it's a fully professional sport, the defences are superbly drilled and the players are awesome athletes. A few extra yards doesn't compensate for this. Also I would argue people get misty eyed over the past and only remember the pieces of brilliance from these players. Peter Sterling was capable of brilliant things but he clearly didn't lead the defence a merry dance every time he had the ball. Probably 95% of what he did got dealt with, but people remember the 5% and so it gets talked about as if it were the norm.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12389.gif
:12389.gif

Almost every elite sportsperson will tell you what got them to the top and delivered that extra 1%, or millisecond, or marginally faster reaction is practice, practice, practice, absolute commitment and a little luck. You also need that extra drive, the sort of intensity that sees some players such as Burgess, Graham, and in past times Farrell, Sculthorpe and others being the ones the always seemed to drop on the loose ball or make the last ditch tackle.

For me that is true of any generation. Yes, today's defences are more disciplined and organised than ever, but a good player should still stand out. As a Wigan fan I've watched Gregory and Edwards, and later Green and Smith conduct the team around the park and suddenly go at the line when the tiniest gap opens up - sometimes it comes off, sometimes it doesn't, but they see it and that's what counts. In recent years Barrett is the best I've seen. Hanley didn't always break the line, neither did Meninga or Lewis. As Mr.ZH says, 95% might not come off, but the 5% is what counts. At the highest level very few would manage 1%.

The very best have developed (from practice) that 'sense' - they can tell from the players in their direct and peripheral vision when the line has fragmented just enough to step, or show & go, or hold the ball up, or throw the killer pass, but they can also organise and direct their teams, make the simple plays, they can defend and they have that intensity and drive. In some cases the fact they go out of their way to support makes them valuable - Edwards was probably the best support player, Hanley was no slouch.

If Gregory could have got his head round the modern professional regime he'd have struggled no more than Burrow or Brough have. Gregory was a prodigious talent and with the correct conditioning he'd still have been a fantastic player. Same goes for many others.

Best players I've seen? Hanley, Meninga, Fittler in that order.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Quote: Major Tom "I'm too young to have seen Wigan's 8 cup wins in a row but i have seen videos of the games and the one player who stood out to me was Andy Gregory. He had skill the current england halves can only dream of.

In preparation for the game tomorrow I watched highlights of the few times we've beaten the aussies. One of them was the game where mike gregory ran the length of the field to win it in 88 i think. That try, as well as two others, was set up by Andy Gregory. As usual he was head and shoulders above.'"

Again, why would you think that Gregory, in a modern environment and having to deal with modern defences would be so far ahead of the top players currently?

I think it's massively disrespectful and frankly shows a lack of understanding of the modern game to think that way.

As I said, don't confuse better to watch with better standard.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9565No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif
:fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif

If you watch footage of Aussie GFs from even 20 years ago its plain to see that not a single forward from either team back then would be first grade today - the defences have huge gaps on almost every tackle. That's down to simple fitness. As a result halfbacks and outside backs had far more room even when the defence was only 5m back, making them look better/different as well.

Players today are far bigger then they used to be. It was quite funny seeing Sam Burgess standing next to John Sattler after the GF - Sattler in his prime would have been 20-30 kilos lighter than Burgess and far less fit. If you could time travel today's players would physically smash past players out of the park.

Size has also increased in the backs. I remember when Eric Grothe was considered enormous at 14 and a half stone. Meninga terrorised defences on the 82 tour when he was less than 16 stone (he put on a lot of weight later of course).

Its impossible to do anything other than rate players in their own era. Who knows if a 13 stone second row from the 60s could ever have beefed up enough to be 'great' today when a lot is down to childhood nutrition?

RankPostsTeam
International Star4913No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Completely impossible to say, but some of the best players I have seen are.

Andy Gregory
Gary schofield
Ellery Hanley
Wally Lewis
Brett Kenny
Brad fittler
Peter sterling
Mal meninga
Andrew johns

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6809
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2023Jan 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18302_1567366773.png
[b:1crbsr9w] Toulouse for Championship in 2017, Super League in 2021! Avignon for Championship in 2021, Super League in 2022! [/b:1crbsr9w]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_18302.png

Quote: rollin thunder "Completely impossible to say, but some of the best players I have seen are.

Andy Gregory
Gary schofield
Ellery Hanley
Wally Lewis
Brett Jenny
Brad fitter
Peter sterling
Mal meninga
Andrew johns'"

Who is "Brett Jenny?" Do you mean "me darlin' sportin' Jenny" from the old Irish folk song "Whiskey in the Jar?"

RankPostsTeam
International Star257No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2015Aug 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
67401_1399996203.jpg
Beneath the rule of men entirely great, the pen is mightier than the sword.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_67401.jpg

Quote: Mr. Zucchini Head "The reason half backs struggle to create space these days is because it's a fully professional sport, the defences are superbly drilled and the players are awesome athletes. A few extra yards doesn't compensate for this. Also I would argue people get misty eyed over the past and only remember the pieces of brilliance from these players. Peter Sterling was capable of brilliant things but he clearly didn't lead the defence a merry dance every time he had the ball. Probably 95% of what he did got dealt with, but people remember the 5% and so it gets talked about as if it were the norm.'"

I'd also argue that nobody can state for certain what players from yesteryear as without the TV coverage we didn't see the players (other than the ones who played for our teams) week in week out. I think I saw just about all of Peter Sterlings games for Hull and even his average games were better than the best of most.
That 95 / 5% is true of just about every player. Certainly true today. A video montage of a player on you tube can make players look like world beaters. The reality is often totally different.

It all makes for great debate though.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15807No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2019Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
17371_1305700326.jpg
"The Mail understands..." NOTHING! :SUBMISSION: :lol: [quote="-VIKINGMAN-"]Respect to Roofs, the president of East Hull. :wink:[/quote]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_17371.jpg

Based on the players I've seen (either live or on TV) over the last twenty years, I'd say the Paul brothers should both be in contention. Neither of them could be controlled on their day.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg
kcab sfrawdder Luck is a combination of preparation and opportunity Just to avoid confusion Starbug is the username of Steven Pike SOMEBODY SAID that it couldn’t be done But he with a chuckle replied That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried. So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin On his face. If he worried he hid it. He started to sing as he tackled the thing That couldn’t be done, and he did it!:9005.jpg

Impossible to compare between different era's, also between different positions

If pushed to a name, for a couple of years in the early 80's John Woods was the most ' Complete ' RL player on the planet with top quality at every skill and physical attribute, and also able to perform full of Tetleys mild as well icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner1606No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2021Jan 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Wigg'n "It's not akin to anything you say. BB is a legend of the game and you're an anonymous person posting on the internet. His opinion is worth 1000x more than yours.'"

Okayyyyy......

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13190No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2020Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

'when my life is over, the thing which will have given me greatest pride is that I was first to plunge into the sea, swimming freely underwater without any connection to the terrestrial world' Yves Le Prieur, the real inventor of the aqualung:

Wally Lewis

RankPostsTeam
International Star4913No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Superted "Okayyyyy......'"

So is schoey but people don't take him seriously, even though between his rants he is often right.

RankPostsTeam
International Star87No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2015Mar 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Him "Again, why would you think that Gregory, in a modern environment and having to deal with modern defences would be so far ahead of the top players currently?

I think it's massively disrespectful and frankly shows a lack of understanding of the modern game to think that way.

As I said, don't confuse better to watch with better standard.'"

I think you show a massive lack of understanding of life in general and Rugby League in particular. I would say you are 1/100 to have never played at any sort of level..

Please do not confuse having a fat bloke in a mask as your avatar with having any intelligence or worth...self importance is of course excluded...

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman1468
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 1970Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: BrisbaneRhino "

Size has also increased in the backs. I remember when Eric Grothe was considered enormous at 14 and a half stone. Meninga terrorised defences on the 82 tour when he was less than 16 stone (he put on a lot of weight later of course).

Its impossible to do anything other than rate players in their own era. Who knows if a 13 stone second row from the 60s could ever have beefed up enough to be 'great' today when a lot is down to childhood nutrition?'"

Clearly you never watched the game that far back or have much knowledge of that era as you'll find that there were plenty of 15 stone second rowers that were upwardly mobile, in fact one of Hull's all time try scorers was a 2nd row from the 20s who was 15+ stone.
In the 50/60s we had a fair few 17stone props. Yes size has increased in the backs but conversely so has their lack of agility, it's the somewhat 'smaller' backs that can jink their way around.

What you will find with forwards of old is that will put themselves/their bodies about a lot more than their modern counterparts, half the forwards in modern rugby run the ball in like a bunch of half hearted fannies and tackle as if they are made of biscuit. I'd say the top forwards of yesteryear would do just fine and backs like Andy Gregory whom has more heart and grit than any back in the game since he stopped playing would be sensational (sorry for the Stevoism) in SL. Burrow is probably the most comparable in the grit dept of modern backs. Gregs had speed off the mark, was a superb passer, had guile, could kick, was a strong tackler and he was facking hard as nails..I didn't particularly like him as an individual but as a player you cannot fail to see he is one of those stand outs that would make the grade in any era.

You and many before you make the classic mistake of thinking it is all about size.. it isn't. It has never just being about crash bang wallop, it's a thinking man's game and one that needs the mentality to overcome your opposition no matter what they look like size wise or what their reputation. You destroy/attack/dismantle the mind-set or out-think your opposition as much as you out-do them physically, hence why you can have blow outs between what on paper are evenly matched teams. You break the mind/spirit and it matters not how strong/fit you are, great players from any era you choose would succeed in any other era you chose to supplant them in because they have it within them to do so.

146 posts in 11 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
146 posts in 11 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.83251953125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
chapylad
15m
Film game
karetaker
28m