Sep 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
63285_1320846765.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_63285.jpg

Quote: Wales for super L "The facts are there to look at, Leeds and Wigan combined have 11 players in the squad and won trophies last year.

Wakefield, Cas and Widnes combined have 0 players in the squad and will be nowhere near a trophy again.'"

Could this not be down to the fact they're both probably the biggest clubs on their side of the pennines therefore hoovering up a larger portion of the talent pool available

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1513No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2015Nov 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34090_1296322611.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_34090.jpg

Quote: Barrett was robbed "Could this not be down to the fact they're both probably the biggest clubs on their side of the pennines therefore hoovering up a larger portion of the talent pool available'"

hardly, it's not like we cherry pick the best stars, 5 of the 6 picked from wigan are wigan lads

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2927
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2019Apr 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Wales for super L "There are no players from Hull KR, Wakefield, Castleford, Widnes or London. When are these clubs going to wake up and realise the benefits of investing in youth development. I think its not coincidence these are the clubs regularly finishing outside the top 8. Maybe its time to start being a bit more forceful, something like 20% of all players wages must be spent on those eligble for U20's.'"

I think that this is a little unfair on some of these clubs.

In recent years Castleford have produced players like Westerman, Shenton, Arundel, Clark, Owen who are all good players.

Hull KR have players such as Taylor, Watts (kinda Castleford too), and Welham, who are all decent players.

Can't comment too much about Wakefield but I know that they've been doing well in the 9s competition (although I don't know if they've been fielding a lot of 1st teamers or whether it's been mainly academy).

London's brought through players like Clubb, Sarginson and Krasniqi. I think that London have bigger problems than their academy, tbh.

You can't say that Widnes are a club 'regularly finishing outside the top 8'. This is their 1st year in SL.

On another note, people should keep an eye on James Cunningham who has been named in the squad. He's a young hooker with a future that looks very promising.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12860No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39110_1363272058.jpg
Dropkick Murphy..we actually saw and heard a mass of bouncing and scarf and flag waving to Dale Cavese that drowned out anything we could muster.. It stopped us singing our own celebratory songs, it died out seconds later when we accepted we couldn't be heard over the Wigan lot Celebrations muted from us, job done from them. Most fans who slag them off are jealous their own club's support is nowhere near that good - sally cinnamon..Why not discuss Wigan? It's a rugby league message board. Wigan are the most famous brand in rugby league - Tre Cool..Saints fans are hopeless unless it's a cup final or grand final. Wigan fans are so much more loyal and passionate - the flying biscuit..Wires havent been massively succesful over the years, but I've spoke to Brian Bevan And he spoke to me and i wouldnt swap that for Wigans History, ever - Ande..on the TV i could only hear the Wigan fans with about 10 to go - Saint94..Every team is in your feckin shadow, we all know - FIOS:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_39110.jpg

If everybody produced as much talent as the top clubs then we would have a player pool in super league which would see us compete 'better' at international level IMO.

I simply won't take the 'top clubs get the best players' argument, because West Ham have a cracking academy in football but don't attract the best players. This is about facilities and the ethos the youngsters are brought up in.

The current Wigan academy train just like the first team with the same goals etc. that is the way it should work.

Imagine if each club had 6 players good enough to get into this squad...

J20
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6096No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45011_1321315422.jpg
This isn't a sleeping giant, it's a giant! Denis Betts Nov 2010 Twitter: @JoeyViking:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45011.jpg

Widnes have had 2 lads in Jack Owens and Tom
Gilmore in that group for the past few years. Gilmore had a torrid year with injuries but was back in the side last week and also made his SL debut against London.

No idea why Jack has somehow dropped out tbh.

J20
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6096No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45011_1321315422.jpg
This isn't a sleeping giant, it's a giant! Denis Betts Nov 2010 Twitter: @JoeyViking:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45011.jpg

Quote: Odem "If everybody produced as much talent as the top clubs then we
Imagine if each club had 6 players good enough to get into this squad...'"

We are also missing the simple point that only do many players can be selected! As I just said Widnes have 2 lads who just missed the cut and that could be the same for other sides.

Maybe they do have players 'good enough' just for whatever reason that bunch has been selected. Congratulations and Good luck to them too!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12860No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39110_1363272058.jpg
Dropkick Murphy..we actually saw and heard a mass of bouncing and scarf and flag waving to Dale Cavese that drowned out anything we could muster.. It stopped us singing our own celebratory songs, it died out seconds later when we accepted we couldn't be heard over the Wigan lot Celebrations muted from us, job done from them. Most fans who slag them off are jealous their own club's support is nowhere near that good - sally cinnamon..Why not discuss Wigan? It's a rugby league message board. Wigan are the most famous brand in rugby league - Tre Cool..Saints fans are hopeless unless it's a cup final or grand final. Wigan fans are so much more loyal and passionate - the flying biscuit..Wires havent been massively succesful over the years, but I've spoke to Brian Bevan And he spoke to me and i wouldnt swap that for Wigans History, ever - Ande..on the TV i could only hear the Wigan fans with about 10 to go - Saint94..Every team is in your feckin shadow, we all know - FIOS:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_39110.jpg

Quote: J20 "We are also missing the simple point that only do many players can be selected! As I just said Widnes have 2 lads who just missed the cut and that could be the same for other sides.

Maybe they do have players 'good enough' just for whatever reason that bunch has been selected. Congratulations and Good luck to them too!'"

It is pretty much always the same with these team announcements though, they are often dominated by Wigan, Leeds and Saints etc. if the other teams were producing enough good players then surely you would see it even up by now.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg
kcab sfrawdder Luck is a combination of preparation and opportunity Just to avoid confusion Starbug is the username of Steven Pike SOMEBODY SAID that it couldn’t be done But he with a chuckle replied That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried. So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin On his face. If he worried he hid it. He started to sing as he tackled the thing That couldn’t be done, and he did it!:9005.jpg

Quote: Odem "It is pretty much always the same with these team announcements though, they are often dominated by Wigan, Leeds and Saints etc. if the other teams were producing enough good players then surely you would see it even up by now.'"

It depends who picks the team

RankPostsTeam
International Star420No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2013Jul 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Odem "
Quote: Odem "We are also missing the simple point that only do many players can be selected! As I just said Widnes have 2 lads who just missed the cut and that could be the same for other sides.

Maybe they do have players 'good enough' just for whatever reason that bunch has been selected. Congratulations and Good luck to them too!'"

It is pretty much always the same with these team announcements though, they are often dominated by Wigan, Leeds and Saints etc. if the other teams were producing enough good players then surely you would see it even up by now.'"

Just look at the current England squad and which academy the players came through (I may have made a couple of errors here but had a go) again not one player from Castleford, Wakefield, Widnes or Hull KR. No matter what there fans try and claim the facts are there to see, they produce virtually no international players, If every club put in the same effort as Leeds/Wigan we would have a far greater pool of quality players to pick from and stand a much better chance against Aus.

England: S Tomkins (Wigan); J Charnley (Wigan), C Ablett (Leeds), R Atkins (Bradford?), R Hall (Leeds); K Sinfield (Leeds), R Chase (NZ); E Crabtree (Huddersfield?), J Roby (St Helens), J Peacock (Bradford), G Hock (Wigan), D Tickle (Halifax), S O'Loughlin (Wigan)
Replacements: R Burrow (Leeds), G Carvell (Leeds), L Mossop (Wigan), J Jones-Buchanan (Leeds)

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach224No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2017Mar 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Gilmore played in the England Academy game at the weekend but missed the cut for whatever reason and Owens has had the combination of injuries and having to bulk up to play SL against him.

This year Widnes have given debuts to Anthony Mullaly,Alex Gerrard, Owens and Gilmore plus if you add Danny Craven and Flynn who were first team players in the championship I'd say Widnes have got a nice amount of home grown players that have played this year.

It isn't a case of teams not producing good enough players it's a case of the best players wanting to go to the teams that win trophies and therefore a kid prefering to go to Wire than Widnes because he knows which side are more likely to have sucess.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2862
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2017Dec 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47753_1430033772.jpg
JOHN THE REDBOY I have been a rovers fan all my life and my grandkids are as well:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47753.jpg

Quote: Wales for super L "The England Academy squad to tour Austrialia has been named. There are 6 players from Wigan, 5 from Leeds, 3 from St Helens, 3 from Warrington, 3 from Bradford, 1 from Hull FC, 1 from Huddersfield and 1 from Salford.

There are no players from Hull KR, Wakefield, Castleford, Widnes or London. When are these clubs going to wake up and realise the benefits of investing in youth development. I think its not coincidence these are the clubs regularly finishing outside the top 8. Maybe its time to start being a bit more forceful, something like 20% of all players wages must be spent on those eligble for U20's.'"

I can tell your welsh hull kr for the short time we have been in super league have finished in the top 8 a lot we have finished 4 -7 -7 and at the moment with still time for it to alter 7 eusa_whistle.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12860No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39110_1363272058.jpg

Quote: cravenpark1 "I can tell your welsh hull kr for the short time we have been in super league have finished in the top 8 a lot we have finished 4 -7 -7 and at the moment with still time for it to alter 7
Don't brag about finishing 7th. 7th and 8th place the very definition of average. Most on here would agree that those teams don't deserve a play-off spot.

19 of the players in our first team squad are through the academy and have ALL played in super league this season.

Maybe if you produced players of your own you might be bragging about being top of the league instead like us icon_wink.gif

This thread is nothing to do with where you finish. It is about producing players for the England academy. Hull KR have none.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2259No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2015Mar 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
59709_1306485067.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_59709.jpg

Quote: "Maybe if you produced players of your own you might be bragging about being top of the league instead like us '"

Very short memory- Have you forgotten the salary cap breach £400k that saved you only a few short seasons ago.

The Broncos have something like 10 juniors playing in the first team regularly (OK so they are at the bottom of the league). The regular back line of Sargeson, Channing(Wales), Caro, Dixon, O'Callaghan(Ireland) are all from the youth development.

The 9's team that are playing next week in the finals are all kids

LMS & Clubb have both broken through into Eng squads.

It just takes time.

J20
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6096No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45011_1321315422.jpg

Quote: Wales for super L "Just look at the current England squad and which academy the players came through (I may have made a couple of errors here but had a go) again not one player from Castleford, Wakefield, Widnes or Hull KR. No matter what there fans try and claim the facts are there to see, they produce virtually no international players, If every club put in the same effort as Leeds/Wigan we would have a far greater pool of quality players to pick from and stand a much better chance against Aus.

England

Richie Myler.

I do get what you are saying but undo feel its harsh including Widnes in this as we have been out of SL (do near enough funding ourselves) for the vast majority of the pro game. When you mention Castleford though you kind of prove you don't have a clue what your on about!

It's VERY easy to judge on one squad (you can only pick that amount) maybe look at the last 5/6 squads then start to gain a judgement?

Producing 'international players' is FAR from easy. Producing SL level players is each clubs aim and anything above that is great credit to both the club and the individual.

Plus using terms like 'effort' is wrong when some of these clubs are clearly trying very hard yet maybe just not getting the results you desire right now?

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman7155No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Could someone please post the fixtures on here?

Thanks in advance.

66 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
66 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.56494140625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
TV Games - Not Hull
bishops fing
22m
Leigh it is
Zig
32m