Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2016Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

“We will not accept a top eight finish as a barometer of supposed success at any point in the future whilst I am the owner of this club. Thats why you got the Bullet Agar...Adam Pearson wants winners...not useless gits like you. "Rugby League is a simple game played by simple people. Rugby Union is a complex game played by wankers." L.Daley 2005:

Quote: Big Graeme "I'm struggling to see how one extra game will make three derbies a season any more palatable.'"

Just a thought......personally i think 2 is enough but could understand it if they did.

af
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman10445No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022Aug 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
731.jpg
Bradford gave us Hockney, Leeds gave us Moyles.:731.jpg

Going by their press release, the RFL appear to have identified Bulls vs Crusaders as the most interesting game (the Nobby connection). MOTWYW.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach48No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021May 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Simple...

Bradford Vs. Wire
Hull Vs. Quins
Celtic Vs. Salford

Saints Vs. Catalans
Wigan Vs. Leeds
Cas Vs. Wakey
Hull KR Vs. Hudds

Every game is a tricky call on who'd win.
Wish that wouldve happened.

Now if Widnes manage to get up next season..
You could have 5 very good derbies going on!
Then bring it back

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach18736No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2013Jan 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20672.jpg
:CROWN: [color=#4000FF:3cyxr5nr]RLFans.com Soccer Prediction League Champion 2011/2012[/color:3cyxr5nr] :CROWN: [url=http://www.christie.nhs.uk/the-christie-charity/donate.aspx:3cyxr5nr]The Christie - please donate[/url:3cyxr5nr] [url=http://www.popbitch.com/home/2009/10/05/red-pepper-news:3cyxr5nr]Greatest headline ever?[/url:3cyxr5nr]:20672.jpg

Based on the previous years regular season standings 1st plays 2nd, 3rd vs 4th etc.
This year would have been:

Leeds v St Helens
Huddersfield v Hull K R
Wakefield v Wigan
Castleford v Catalans Dragons
Bradford v Warrington
Harlequins RL v Hull
Salford v Celtic Crusaders

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach791No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2011Aug 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

The Original [b:1cc9zdce][size=200:1cc9zdce]LOWES OUT[/size:1cc9zdce][/b:1cc9zdce] Since 2007:

Not a bad idea with the CC thing, but don't understand how you could put a NL team in there?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach631No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2010Oct 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: "
Not a bad idea with the CC thing, but don't understand how you could put a NL team in there?'"

Last 16 is 8 games so you are always going to have 2 teams outside of SL making the weekend.

I suppose you don't have to guarantee the winners of the NL a place at the expense of SL 8th but its a good reward for finishing top, they should bring as many as some SL clubs do now and it makes sense licensing wise (could even be a tick in the box depending how many tickets are sold).

Also underlines this is an RL event not just a SL one which I think is where we lose the NL fan base.

I would make it a NL free weekend.

Ideal for me would be a top 7 in sl for grand finals anyway with 1st getting a first week bye and the pick 2v7 3v6 4v5 then 2 semis & final. ( which would free up another week) But thats another story.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach814No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2021Jan 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
17897_1266255659.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_17897.jpg

What about if the qulified NL teams play each other only and drop 2 from the superleague?

Say Northern rail cup winners and top NL league finishers?

The two superleague teams to drop out would be lowest previos season finishers? They play each other as normal away from edinburgh.

The novelty of the NL clubs making it, and as a result a major appeal to those fans would offset the loss of fans from the superleague teams. So widnes and Oldham say would replace Celtic and Salford say. Crusaders (i should say) and Salford would lose money and will try harder the following year to snatch a league position rather than resting on their laurels as teams can do at the end of a season now relagation is out the window.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1084No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2018Sep 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons3ae4_files/4745-863FALH-msnicons.jpg
:icons3ae4_files/4745-863FALH-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Bobbyrlfc "Simple...

Bradford Vs. Wire
Hull Vs. Quins
Celtic Vs. Salford

Saints Vs. Catalans
Wigan Vs. Leeds
Cas Vs. Wakey
Hull KR Vs. Hudds

Every game is a tricky call on who'd win.
Wish that wouldve happened

Now if Widnes manage to get up next season..
You could have 5 very good derbies going on!
Then bring it back'"

look at pick a winner post and see how you do with the games that are going to be played

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5793No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2014May 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32116.jpg
when the score got to 50 we shouted for more, up popped brad davis went over for four..... ......and its no nay never no nay never no more will we face religation...... big barrie mac.' the cas forads av been bob on' [quote="chissitt":3gx4tjo6]Pyeman I wish you would stop talking so much sense. I am in danger of becomming one of your biggest fans. :lol:[/quote:3gx4tjo6] [quote="vastman":3gx4tjo6]Westerman looks the most promising for a long time.[/quote:3gx4tjo6] [quote="Leyther_Matt":3gx4tjo6]The best proper 'rugby pub' in the country has to be the Boot Room at Cas[/quote:3gx4tjo6] [quote="Bolton_Warrior":3gx4tjo6]The only time I ever doubted going to watch Wigan was when we bare face cheated to stay in superleague[/quote:3gx4tjo6] [quote="Danril":3gx4tjo6] Last night, despite being poor and not deserving the win, we should have won.[/quote:3gx4tjo6] [img:3gx4tjo6]http://www.rlfans.com/images/sigs/castigers.gif[/img:3gx4tjo6]:32116.jpg

Quote: Catalancs "Based on the previous years regular season standings 1st plays 2nd, 3rd vs 4th etc.
This year would have beenCastleford v Catalans Dragons
Bradford v Warrington
Harlequins RL v Hull
Salford v Celtic Crusaders'"

Well we have 2 out of 7.

af
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman10445No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022Aug 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
731.jpg
Bradford gave us Hockney, Leeds gave us Moyles.:731.jpg

Quote: tb "Yes. But most of these comments are coming from posters who've slagged off every Magic Weekend from the beginning
IIRC most people had a problem with the derbies when they were one of four. Now each side only plays each other twice, surely the derbies would be more palatable.

The RFL should have seen the possibility of this fixture lit arising. The reaction across the boards is very predictable and it's not just coming from MM-haters. The lack of any big game is a real stumbling block for those wishing to justify the expense of the weekend. This is not quite a 'damned if they do...' situation. A 1st vs 2nd, 3rd vs 4th format would be much less likely to throw up such an unappealing set of games.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3019No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2011Feb 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8757.jpg
:8757.jpg

Quote: Doseymarker "Magic weekend should be the last 16 of the challenge cup.

If the top 7 along with the winners on the championship are given a bye to this stage you can make the draw now with 8 qualifier balls. So we know half the teams that are there.

Leeds
St Helens
Huddersfield
Hull KR
Wakefield
Wigan
Castleford
Barrow

All games have a extra competitive edge, it drops a game from the season for all the sl teams and 2 more for the top 7, potential for terrestrial and sky broadcast, a realistic showpiece for NL clubs to get to ( at least 2 and more possible) etc etc.

Ticks all the boxes for me.'"

Said something along these lines last year.......would really give the challenge cup a lift and is an inclusive ALL RL event and not just SL. THerefore it would also be supported by all national league clubs. I could see a crowd of about 50k for each of these days if they followed this an would make it a PROPER event rather than what must be less than 20k that turn up this year....IMO this years MM could be a shocker for the game as most games will be played in front of 5-10k in a massive ground

Instead though the RFL will probably ditch it after the inevitable embarressment of this year

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3528
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Nov 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25472.jpg
[img:2n7j1gh7]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/heathenchemist/sig.gif[/img:2n7j1gh7] [size=75:2n7j1gh7][color=red:2n7j1gh7]WIGAN RLFC IS MORE THAN A RUGBY CLUB - IT'S A RELIGION[/color:2n7j1gh7][/size:2n7j1gh7] [size=75:2n7j1gh7][color=black:2n7j1gh7]There will always be a Wigan Warriors no matter what the bitter & twisted blues say[/color:2n7j1gh7][/size:2n7j1gh7]:25472.jpg

Quote: andyed-wiganrl "Said something along these lines last year.......would really give the challenge cup a lift and is an inclusive ALL RL event and not just SL. THerefore it would also be supported by all national league clubs. I could see a crowd of about 50k for each of these days if they followed this an would make it a PROPER event rather than what must be less than 20k that turn up this year....IMO this years MM could be a shocker for the game as most games [sizewill be played in front of 5-10k in a massive ground[/size

Instead though the RFL will probably ditch it after the inevitable embarressment of this year'"

Sad but I feel you may be correct, still going though

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg
kcab sfrawdder Luck is a combination of preparation and opportunity Just to avoid confusion Starbug is the username of Steven Pike SOMEBODY SAID that it couldn’t be done But he with a chuckle replied That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried. So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin On his face. If he worried he hid it. He started to sing as he tackled the thing That couldn’t be done, and he did it!:9005.jpg

Quote: andyed-wiganrl "Said something along these lines last year.......would really give the challenge cup a lift and is an inclusive ALL RL event and not just SL. THerefore it would also be supported by all national league clubs. I could see a crowd of about 50k for each of these days if they followed this an would make it a PROPER event rather than what must be less than 20k that turn up this year....IMO this years MM could be a shocker for the game as most games will be played in front of 5-10k in a massive ground

Instead though the RFL will probably ditch it after the inevitable embarressment of this year'"

Whatever my opinion of your idea [ not really too fussed as it seems far too complicated I lost interest after the 1 st 3 lines ] I dont think that many NL/Championship fans would be that interested [ considering there is only 20,000 of us in total between the 21 clubs ] to swell the attendance by anything more than 4/5,000 considering a most likely battering at the hands of a SL club , compouded by it also being televised

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3019No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2011Feb 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8757.jpg
:8757.jpg

Quote: Starbug "Whatever my opinion of your idea [ not really too fussed as it seems far too complicated I lost interest after the 1 st 3 lines ] I dont think that many NL/Championship fans would be that interested [ considering there is only 20,000 of us in total between the 21 clubs ] to swell the attendance by anything more than 4/5,000 considering a most likely battering at the hands of a SL club , compouded by it also being televised'"

Wasnt my idea and I dont really see how it was complicated icon_rolleyes.gif

but as regards that point id say your completely wrong....more than their usual crowds would turn out IMO because its a glamour tie in the challenge cup, against SL opposition, in a finals atmosphere in a big ground.

Look at the barrow wigan tie last year, or the gateshead stains tie for how fans of smaller clubs would turn out. If barrow say drew wigan again they would take 4-5k IMO as its the closest their going to get to a final, and in many ways would be 'their' final. Both barrow and gateshead didnt get 'battered' as you put it, but held their own in the game, and also even though the majority of their fans knew the reality of the draw was an inevitable loss, they still turned out in great number.

In addition i would anticipate say 1-2k of floating NL support would go as a neutral to the day, merely to watch some good rugby as the event has a more inclusive feel rather than a strictly SL day out. In addition i think more SL fans would turn out for the SL clubs than currently attend MM as there is the draw of straight knock out, and it would bring back some of the magic of the cup and give the NL something real to aim for.

IMO the RFL should seriously look at this idea as its the only way its ever likely to work IMO, and does then have potential to grow year on year and reignite the CC rather than its inevitable slow death. This would be a true RL event with 2-4 NL clubs or so (depending how many SL match ups were in round 4, and how many NL clubs come through) that serves so many purposes

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman14490No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024May 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1114.jpg
[size=100:vu4p4lio] [b:vu4p4lio]Check out [url:vu4p4lio]http://www.fourpointtry.com[/url:vu4p4lio][/b:vu4p4lio] [/size:vu4p4lio]:1114.jpg

Quote: rover49 "I think its got to be an attractive set of fixtures to get people to commit, Edinburgh is not the cheapest of places to go, especially once the warmer weather kicks in. Like most people I would love to be able to got to every game KR play, but I have to make choices based on affordability and with our Cats trip at the end of March (a week before Easter) and a trips to Quins the weekend after Easter and a family holiday to pay for, I have to drop something and I think its likely to be Edinburgh.

The RFL seem to think fans will dip into their pockets no matter what, but with the recession and reduncancies I think they may be in for a shock next season. They put the fans last as always.'"

Indeed

The other problem is that now we've had the draw, how long will it take the RFL to announce who is going to be playing when and what time will it start ?

Last year, it was merely a couple of weeks before the actual weekend when they formally announced things like match order and kick off times.

Like Rover49, I'd like to go and watch pretty much every game my teams plays that I can get to. However in the case of Edinburgh, other commitments means that I can't justify a whole weekend up there and last year due to the structure of the games, I managed to book a cheap train ticket to get me up & back in the same day. Due to the nature of the last trains south especially on a Saturday, if you're as the last game of the four, you can't come back by train and have to make other arrangements (which would probably mean not going at all).

Other flagship RFL events, like the Challenge Cup Final, know a year in advance what date and kick off time the game is going to be, so why all the dragging of the feet with the Magic Weekend ?

Last year, the RFL had the cheek to call fans for not showing a commitment to the weekend and yet, couldn't be bothered to tell them exactly when their team would be playing.

By all means have a draw, but soon after the draw is made announce who will be playing when and what time those games will start ... Is that really too much to ask ?

104 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
104 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.90185546875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Recruitment rumours and links
Captain Hook
14m
Grand final Tickets
muttywhitedo
14m