FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > Specifically, how will the playoffs work in 2015?
115 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: littlerich "How do QPR get close to Man Utd & City? How can they match the top four?

They can't you tool. Ask them if they care. Ask them if they still love football.'"

Being owned by by a rich air travel magnate and being owned by the super-rich Mittal family. That's how.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8991
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47035_1386433761.gif
We can be bold enough to make a stand and do battle for our views and beliefs. But we must strive to be mature enough not to resort to unnecessary personal attacks upon people with opposing views.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47035.gif

I like the idea, but I do recognize it's not perfect.

But no system is.

The current system really over-rewards mediocrity.

The new system has brought up 2 issues which I agree with, as opposed to the hypothetical scenarios.

The 2 factual issues are the restart for the middle 8.
And the way you price a season ticket.

The second issue is easily solvable and should be well with in the sales and marketing teams capability for the clubs.

The first issue is tricky. You can't carry all the point over as SL2 teams at the top would have more points than 9th placed SL1 team.
Resetting to nil, gets rid of that.
But it then takes away the points, takes away any reward for the higher placed sides in both SL1 and SL2.

You would imagine that the gap in funding that SL1 sides get, will give them some advantage. I would not expect any change in the current 3 year programme as I think a 9th placed team would be far to strong to get relegated anyway.

But if it was an issue, something like Magic Super beetle said about fixing the fixtures to the higher placed teams advantage. OR maybe something like carrying a bonus point across. But that would take away from the competitiveness of the middle group.

I just think a team that gets into 9th will be far too strong to loose, so many matches that they get relegated.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach836
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I haven't read all posts in all the related threads, but no-one seems to have picked up on the point that there will be a 'million pound game' every year as in middle 8, 4th plays fifth for the final SL spot.
Perhaps the Championship teams best bet would be to go all out for this fixture, rather than trying to outdo the big boys over several games?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8991
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47035_1386433761.gif
We can be bold enough to make a stand and do battle for our views and beliefs. But we must strive to be mature enough not to resort to unnecessary personal attacks upon people with opposing views.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47035.gif

Quote: cocker "I haven't read all posts in all the related threads, but no-one seems to have picked up on the point that there will be a 'million pound game' every year as in middle 8, 4th plays fifth for the final SL spot.
Perhaps the Championship teams best bet would be to go all out for this fixture, rather than trying to outdo the big boys over several games?'"

It's an idea, however that relies on the championship teams colluding.

If you did not go all out against the big boys and another championship team did and beat just one of them. Then they would be in the position to take that 5th spot, (or higher).

It's fine to say beat everyone around you, but you can't plan for other teams to just ignore the SL sides and so you can't ignore them either for fear of losing out.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Quote: cocker "I haven't read all posts in all the related threads, but no-one seems to have picked up on the point that there will be a 'million pound game' every year as in middle 8, 4th plays fifth for the final SL spot.
Perhaps the Championship teams best bet would be to go all out for this fixture, rather than trying to outdo the big boys over several games?'"

That game should be good hopefully!

However it could be frustrating if a SL team finishes 5th and then beats a 4th placed Championship team in that game!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2797No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2017Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39978_1327618193.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_39978.jpg

Quote: bewareshadows "I like the idea, but I do recognize it's not perfect.

But no system is.

The current system really over-rewards mediocrity.

The new system has brought up 2 issues which I agree with, as opposed to the hypothetical scenarios.

The 2 factual issues are the restart for the middle 8.
And the way you price a season ticket.

The second issue is easily solvable and should be well with in the sales and marketing teams capability for the clubs.

The first issue is tricky. You can't carry all the point over as SL2 teams at the top would have more points than 9th placed SL1 team.
Resetting to nil, gets rid of that.
But it then takes away the points, takes away any reward for the higher placed sides in both SL1 and SL2.

You would imagine that the gap in funding that SL1 sides get, will give them some advantage. I would not expect any change in the current 3 year programme as I think a 9th placed team would be far to strong to get relegated anyway.

But if it was an issue, something like Magic Super beetle said about fixing the fixtures to the higher placed teams advantage. OR maybe something like carrying a bonus point across. But that would take away from the competitiveness of the middle group.

I just think a team that gets into 9th will be far too strong to loose, so many matches that they get relegated.'"

I agree with this, it's by no means perfect but no system would be. The people being heavily critical of this proposed system seem to not understand it and just want our system to be exactly the same as league football. When we have got a part-time semi professional second tier and a full time professional top tier it would be a massive step backwards to go back to one up one down P+R IMO.

Licensing was supposed to put us in a position where any SL teams who weren't performing adequately enough could be replaced by teams from below who'd had time to build towards getting facilities up to standard to make the jump up. In reality even though plenty of SL clubs could very easily have been relegated, no team from the Championship could really stake a claim for taking their place with any argument other than "we could do just as badly as they did."

This proposed system provides a good compromise between not rewarding mediocrity at the top by giving a more sensible PO system where finishing outside the eventual top 4 no longer means you still have a claim to be champions, whilst also giving most of the other teams something to play for throughout the whole season, and now giving teams from the 2nd tier the opportunity to prove (on the field at least) that they are worthy of competing in SL. There are definite issues with it, I don't like that the MW is still an extra fixture when it doesn't need to be, and there are big question marks over how funding will be allocated, salary cap, TV deals etc., but these can't really be commented on until the details become clear.

All in all, I think it's better than the system we've currently got, and is definitely better than one up one down. It may need a few tweaks here and there in the first season or two, but really if the RFL have decided this is the best way to go they need to stick with it, and clubs, fans, players, sponsors etc all need to get behind it. There's been far too much chopping and changing of the league structure since SL started.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Cas have yet to recover from losing their last ‘million pound game’. Whilst that game itself may have been well attended, surrounding that game both clubs had atrocious attendances, the game itself was an awful error ridden affair played out between two sets of aussie reserve graders. Wakefield fielded 15 out of 17 overseas players that game. Lets hope that having one every year isn’t as damaging.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg
kcab sfrawdder Luck is a combination of preparation and opportunity Just to avoid confusion Starbug is the username of Steven Pike SOMEBODY SAID that it couldn’t be done But he with a chuckle replied That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried. So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin On his face. If he worried he hid it. He started to sing as he tackled the thing That couldn’t be done, and he did it!:9005.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "Cas have yet to recover from losing their last ‘million pound game’. Whilst that game itself may have been well attended, surrounding that game both clubs had atrocious attendances, the game itself was an awful error ridden affair played out between two sets of aussie reserve graders. Wakefield fielded 15 out of 17 overseas players that game. Lets hope that having one every year isn’t as damaging.'"

Simple solution, ALL clubs use the Championship quota, problem solved

That wasnt hard, was it?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Starbug "Simple solution, ALL clubs use the Championship quota, problem solved

That wasnt hard, was it?'"

Yeah, that will work. All those contracted players can have their contracts cancelled, and they will happily just walk away. No chance of them challenging it or anything and we definitely wont see loads of players suddenly getting british passports like before.

You have obviously thought this through icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg
kcab sfrawdder Luck is a combination of preparation and opportunity Just to avoid confusion Starbug is the username of Steven Pike SOMEBODY SAID that it couldn’t be done But he with a chuckle replied That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried. So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin On his face. If he worried he hid it. He started to sing as he tackled the thing That couldn’t be done, and he did it!:9005.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "Yeah, that will work. All those contracted players can have their contracts cancelled, and they will happily just walk away. No chance of them challenging it or anything and we definitely wont see loads of players suddenly getting british passports like before.

You have obviously thought this through
Those with existing contracts ( not many longer than 1 or 2 years I would guess ) could be honoured, but if it became a rule that when playing a game all clubs must apply the ' lower ' clubs quota ( as has been suggested before for Challenge Cup matches ) then it would be up to the clubs who they recruit

Problem solved, not hard is it?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Starbug "Those with existing contracts ( not many longer than 1 or 2 years I would guess ) could be honoured, but if it became a rule that when playing a game all clubs must apply the ' lower ' clubs quota ( as has been suggested before for Challenge Cup matches ) then it would be up to the clubs who they recruit

Problem solved, not hard is it?'"

You can’t legally stop someone with the legal right to work in this country from working in this country. We would see clubs jump through the same loopholes championship clubs already use, you know the rules that mean the championships have a quota of 1 but Sheffield have Yere, Tagaloa, Laulu-Togaga'e and Taulapapa, now I don’t know about you but im pretty sure those guys didn’t learn RL throwing a ball around the fields of Yorkshire.

Great problem solving eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "You can’t legally stop someone with the legal right to work in this country from working in this country. We would see clubs jump through the same loopholes championship clubs already use, you know the rules that mean the championships have a quota of 1 but Sheffield have Yere, Tagaloa, Laulu-Togaga'e and Taulapapa, now I don’t know about you but im pretty sure those guys didn’t learn RL throwing a ball around the fields of Yorkshire.

Great problem solving
Are you suggesting Sheffield are cheating? ,or do you mean they are recruiting players with South Sea Island passports? ,if that is the case then they are improving International development, not a bad thing for the next WC

Problem solved, not hard is it?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Starbug "Are you suggesting Sheffield are cheating? ,or do you mean they are recruiting players with South Sea Island passports? ,if that is the case then they are improving International development, not a bad thing for the next WC

Problem solved, not hard is it?'"

icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Problem: not enough british players coming through

solution: employ Kolpak nationals and overseas players who can get british or Kolpak passports, pretend its aiding international development and hope no-one sees through it. eusa_clap.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "icon_lol.gif
Not enough players coming through from where? , yesterday Wigan fielded a 90% local produced squad ( without all their England Internationals ) that beat Leighs 1 st team at the LSV ,so if they can do it, why cant others, and if they dont, they get relegated

Your ' draft ' system isnt going to happen, so find another solution

Problem solved, it isnt hard is it?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Starbug "Not enough players coming through from where? , yesterday Wigan fielded a 90% local produced squad ( without all their England Internationals ) that beat Leighs 1 st team at the LSV ,so if they can do it, why cant others, and if they dont, they get relegated

Your ' draft ' system isnt going to happen, so find another solution

Problem solved, it isnt hard is it?'"

throughout the league, your lets make them play by illegal rules that already arent followed solution isnt going to happen, so find another solution. Your, lets pretend it doesnt exist solution might though.

Please keep going though, i am enjoying your pretence that either ignoring a problem or just saying 'tough' is some cutting insight and plain-spoken truth quite funny.

115 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
115 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.05224609375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
1m
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
2m