FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > Salford coach sacked!
61 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
International Star742No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2022Dec 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Woosh icon_biggrin.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star1002No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Andy Gilder "Hopefully whoever gets appointed at Salford has the testicles to sit Dr Koukash down and point out that this isn't football, he hasn't bought the RL equivalent of Man City and that he needs to be patient and build the club from the ground up.

Otherwise, I fear we could end up with an RL equivalent of Abramovich.'"

I don't fear it. For all the soap opera involved, Chelsea, and the rest of the premier league have benefited enormously from Abramovich and the people that followed him. Granted..."benefit" here is used to describe profile and revenue - if you don't like the way the premier league is awash with money then sure, we risk changes to the nature of the sport by allowing big money in. And not liking the idea is an entirely reasonable position BTW, no argument at all from me if that's what you believe - I just don't think you can have it both ways - that is, taking a lot of money from a passionate guy but expecting him to stick to the 'old' rules of the game.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman3174
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2016Nov 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
986.jpg
"In his autumn before the winter comes man's last mad surge of youth." "What on earth are you talking about?":986.jpg

Quote: Andy Gilder "Hopefully whoever gets appointed at Salford has the testicles to sit Dr Koukash down and point out that this isn't football, he hasn't bought the RL equivalent of Man City and that he needs to be patient and build the club from the ground up.

Otherwise, I fear we could end up with an RL equivalent of Abramovich.'"

Premier League Champions 2004-05, 2005-06, 2009-10
FA Cup Winners 2007, 2009, 2010, 2012
League Cup Winners 2005
Champions League winners 2012
Abramovich took over Chelsea in 2003 and has sacked 8 managers to date , but won 9 trophies.

in the same period we've worked our way through 5 coaches and been rubbish icon_cool.gif
I hope we end up a RL equivalent of Abramovich

RankPostsTeam
International Star1002No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: middleman "Premier League Champions 2004-05, 2005-06, 2009-10
FA Cup Winners 2007, 2009, 2010, 2012
League Cup Winners 2005
Champions League winners 2012
Abramovich took over Chelsea in 2003 and has sacked 8 managers to date , but won 9 trophies.

in the same period we've worked our way through 5 coaches and been rubbish ...and...if you had to pick a "Man City of RL" ( proud tradition, almost always pretty rubbish ) I can't think of many clubs closer than Salford!

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20966No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6679_1399761959.png
[quote="dally messenger":1gysl9ow]was watching an nfl doco. on one of their teams and they used the term bomb to describe those long high passes from quaterback to running back and i think gibson took that idea, realized you cant throw the ball forward in RL and adapted it to a "bomb" kick we have[/quote:1gysl9ow] [quote="eels fan":1gysl9ow]You poor poor obsessed fat ex vichyballin potato thieving stoaway.[/quote:1gysl9ow]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6679.png

Quote: JEAN CAPDOUZE "Ian Lenagan, Simon Moran, Eamon McManus, Gary Hetherington, David Hughes, Adam Pearson, Bradford owners!

That makes 7.'"

Ian Lenagan has managed to win a SL trophy and increase the attendance at Wigan by 22% since he took over...he'll be in no rush to spend any more cash until he as ensured Wigan are sustainably self sufficient.

David Hughes???? This guy treats London Broncos as a hobby.....he invests 1.5 million a year and has cut back the back office staff to a junior sales rep, 2 telesales guys on 90 day contracts and a CEO with not a ing clue what he's doing.......the concept of him wanting to spend more money is laughable......

McManus was bemoaning the cost of running his club and that SL was too big.......the only way he and the other guys you've mentioned would vote for a bigger cap is by reducing SL by 2 teams...if not 4.

Sky money is in place for the next few years....1.3 mill a pop....shedding 2 years would add 200k to the cap.......that's the only way I see it being "changed" at the moment.

So what if we lose some "RL" stars to the NRL or the other code....the game is bigger than any individual or team....

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner28186No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif
"As you travel through life don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin [url:2cg5oc2o]http://twitter.com/AndyGilder[/url:2cg5oc2o] [url:2cg5oc2o]http://fromthewesternterrace.blogspot.co.uk[/url:2cg5oc2o] This week: Four keys to a Rhinos win in the WCC:Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif

Quote: RedTez "God forbid an owner with cash wanting their club to be successful. Salford should know their place shouldn't they? How dare they target players who are light years ahead of what they already have. Maybe they should sit Ed Farish, Graham Lowe and Andrew Chalmers down too and tell them the same thing. They clearly know nothing about building a successful rugby league club. "Know your level" would be a good place to start.

Koukash and his management team clearly have no clue about our sport, and we'll see that when the "top" clubs who do know what they are doing target Vievers as their next head coach.'"

Well done on spectacularly missing my point.

Salford's "place" is wherever they end up. What I personally would hate to see is an owner who thinks they can just wave a chequebook and the best players will come running. All that is going to lead to is him getting disillusioned when he doesn't have instant success, and potentially pulling out his cash and leaving Salford up the creek without a paddle.

You've even used my phrase in your rant - "building". Building takes time. Salford need time. Does Koukash have the patience and geniune interest in the game to give them it? Time will tell.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2464No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2017Jun 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Andy Gilder "Well done on spectacularly missing my point.

Salford's "place" is wherever they end up. What I personally would hate to see is an owner who thinks they can just wave a chequebook and the best players will come running. All that is going to lead to is him getting disillusioned when he doesn't have instant success, and potentially pulling out his cash and leaving Salford up the creek without a paddle.

You've even used my phrase in your rant - "building". Building takes time. Salford need time. Does Koukash have the patience and geniune interest in the game to give them it? Time will tell.'"

So what's the Abramovich reference? Is he bored? His club won the biggest club football competition in the world last year. If that's what a bored owner gets you, sign me up.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20966No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6679_1399761959.png
[quote="dally messenger":1gysl9ow]was watching an nfl doco. on one of their teams and they used the term bomb to describe those long high passes from quaterback to running back and i think gibson took that idea, realized you cant throw the ball forward in RL and adapted it to a "bomb" kick we have[/quote:1gysl9ow] [quote="eels fan":1gysl9ow]You poor poor obsessed fat ex vichyballin potato thieving stoaway.[/quote:1gysl9ow]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6679.png

Quote: RedTez "So what's the Abramovich reference? Is he bored? His club won the biggest club football competition in the world last year. If that's what a bored owner gets you, sign me up.'"

Couple of things here.....Firstly, Chelsea are not limited to or by a Salary Cap, therefore, the BILLIONAIRE owner can buy who his manager wants, when he wants.

Then there's the Champions League success......the one trophy the Russian craved the most.....Chelsea FC cost him an estimated £140,000,000 and he immediately gave his first manager another £100,000,000 to spend on players. In 2009, Abramovich wrote off £700,000,000 of loans to the club......essentially making them debt free. I believe that last year, Chelsea posted a profit of about £1,500,000.

So, for basically an investment of £1,000,000,000 over 10 years he eventually got what he wanted...a Champions League Winning side that is now able to stand on it's own 2 feet now he's stopped spending money on players.

If you think for one second anyone can compare the investment of Dr CashCow to that of Chelseas seriously cashed up owner, then think again.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2464No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2017Jun 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: gutterfax "Couple of things here.....Firstly, Chelsea are not limited to or by a Salary Cap, therefore, the BILLIONAIRE owner can buy who his manager wants, when he wants.

Then there's the Champions League success......the one trophy the Russian craved the most.....Chelsea FC cost him an estimated £140,000,000 and he immediately gave his first manager another £100,000,000 to spend on players. In 2009, Abramovich wrote off £700,000,000 of loans to the club......essentially making them debt free. I believe that last year, Chelsea posted a profit of about £1,500,000.

So, for basically an investment of £1,000,000,000 over 10 years he eventually got what he wanted...a Champions League Winning side that is now able to stand on it's own 2 feet now he's stopped spending money on players.

If you think for one second anyone can compare the investment of Dr CashCow to that of Chelseas seriously cashed up owner, then think again.'"

The reference had little to do with the cash spent and everything to do with him getting bored. I am fully aware of the salary cap restrictions, but that has nothing to do with the initial comparison of an owner getting bored.

I think my initial fear with Koukash was that he was, if we are comparing with football owners, a Michael Knighton rather than an Abramovich. Knighton promised the world and was a fraud. If you want a comparison, use that rather than the massively successful Russian as a way of putting Salford down you daft gets.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20966No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6679_1399761959.png

Quote: RedTez "The reference had little to do with the cash spent and everything to do with him getting bored. I am fully aware of the salary cap restrictions, but that has nothing to do with the initial comparison of an owner getting bored.

I think my initial fear with Koukash was that he was, if we are comparing with football owners, a Michael Knighton rather than an Abramovich. Knighton promised the world and was a fraud. If you want a comparison, use that rather than the massively successful Russian as a way of putting Salford down you daft gets.'"

WTF?
When did I put Salford down? I want RLtodowell and this guy is like a breath of fresh air, but he'll need to calm down a bit if he wants things to go his way.....as others have said, his appointment of coach will be a decent barometer as to where he believes they can go in the short term...personally, I think he'll optfor acouple of big name signings and a coach like Noble.......Looking at a top 8 finish in 2014 and higher again in 2015. In the meantime, he should be looking at investing in a decent conveyerbelt as well as picking up those kids not deemed "good enough" for saints/Wigan yoof etc....BIG NAME SIGNINGS DON'T WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS ON THEIR OWN!

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner28186No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif
"As you travel through life don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin [url:2cg5oc2o]http://twitter.com/AndyGilder[/url:2cg5oc2o] [url:2cg5oc2o]http://fromthewesternterrace.blogspot.co.uk[/url:2cg5oc2o] This week: Four keys to a Rhinos win in the WCC:Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif

One of us needs to argue this as a grown-up, so it may as well be me.

The Abramovich reference was to the way he has dealt with coaches/managers/players who were unable to give him exactly what he wanted, straight from the outset.

He's constantly chopped and changed his managers, he's bought players in that the managers didn't necessarily want simply because he wanted them and it suited him (I'm thinking Shevchenko and Torres here) and when these things haven't brought immediate success he's simply sacked the lot and started again.

Is Koukash prepared to put up with Salford having a gradual, organic growth supported by investment in youth, infrastructure etc, or is he just here to play fantasy RL and buy as many big name players as he can in an attempt to go from bottom to top in one step?

Like I said originally, his next appointment as coach needs to be someone who is prepared to sit him down and point out that he cannot simply go out and buy success without building the foundations first.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4159No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2019Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1602.jpg
Sad preacher nailed upon the coloured door of time; Insane teacher be there reminded of the rhyme. There'll be no mutant enemy we shall certify; Political ends, as sad remains, will die.:1602.jpg

RankPostsTeam
International Star17951
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif
:simpsons/simp006.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star1002No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Andy Gilder "
Is Koukash prepared to put up with Salford having a gradual, organic growth supported by investment in youth, infrastructure etc, or is he just here to play fantasy RL and buy as many big name players as he can in an attempt to go from bottom to top in one step?.'"

The two aren't mutually exclusive. If you've got money to spend on both, what better way to get massive interest in your newly inspired youth and academy set up than bringing in big name players and winning games?

Why must it be one or the other?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member5490No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2014Mar 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2997.jpg
:2997.jpg

Quote: RLBandit "The two aren't mutually exclusive. If you've got money to spend on both, what better way to get massive interest in your newly inspired youth and academy set up than bringing in big name players and winning games?

Why must it be one or the other?'"

Amen to that.

Fan reaction to Veivers sackinghttp://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/sport-opinion/phil-veivers-deserves-another-chance-1720603rl

61 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
61 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.0380859375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Film game
Wanderer
6m
Rumours thread
Wollo-Wollo-
7m