JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Dwarfs, Gnomes, Halflings/GNOME2.JPG
The new young dynasty of super saints is coming to a ground near you. Welsby-Dodd-Simms-Eaves-Rizzelli, not Eastmond...the future is coming.:Dwarfs, Gnomes, Halflings/GNOME2.JPG

Quote: vastman "Not sure how relevant your first point was to the actual topic but as a general statement it’s spot on.

When Cas froze in last years GF you could positively feel the combined joy from Leeds, Wigan and Saints fans in general and most especially those who love the status Quo!!! Even better that Cas are not appearing as good as last year which just validate their snobbish opinions.

That’s not fair but as there are numerous reasons for Cas slight dip in form. Hoe er the Ref isn’t one and blaming him makes the whole club look stupid and just reinforces the elitists.

Ditto my own club Trinity - we won’t exactly lay down and die far from it but results have not gone our way and we are on possibly six points less than perhaps we might of been.

If we’d have been Wigan every week would be endless sob stories and brilliantly constructed excuses. We on the other hand have been dismissed as on season wonders who are slowly but surely heading back where we belong and as you say we will become an obscurity soon enough if we don’t change this season around.

That said our results are of our own making, we’ve had some rough calls and some were even game changes but then who doesnt? We need to respond positively as do Cas and I see absolutely nothing positive in what Powell said and imho he let himself down.'"

The majority of the fans from the "big" clubs had a lot of respect for the way Cas played the game and I don't think they would have complained at all if they joined the party and became superleague champions.

Come grand final day i reckon the question was Daryl Powell a good enough coach to get them over the final hurdle, it appeared not then the question later was Cas going to be one season wonders. It appeared so early in the season but Powell has got them firing a bit better despite the injuries to key players. There have been a lot of ups and downs with teams having the odd injury crisis to disrupt winning momentum.

Wigan and Saints have not had a lot of injuries to key players and there defence is a pretty hight standard, obviously thats why they are currently 1 and 2 in the league.

Warrington and Castleford look as though they can go up a level but there defence is currently not where it should be, still lots of games to play yet but I think there is more pressure on Warrington and Cas to be more consistent if they are to make a serious challenge.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach36092
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10363_1334937642.jpg
SUPPORT SWAG...:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10363.jpg

Quote: McClennan "Not really. Most of the Saints fans I was watching the game were miffed that the Grand Final was a one-sided romp for Leeds so I don't know how you got that impression.

As for Cas' drop in form. I'd suggest that's more to do with other teams improving their efforts e.g. Saints and Warrington. Take those two, with their NRL experienced coaches, out of the equation and Cas would be comfortably top 4. What Holbrook is doing is raising the standard of the game over here, which in turn is exposing the lack of quality coaching within this competition. The success last year was great but it was tied in with a competition which has been stagnating since Maguire left Wigan at the end of 2011. Now that coaching quality is rising again, so it becomes harder to compete.'"

Almost every part of that post validates my opinion that top sides are snobs - Holbrook has done sod all as yet and neither have Saints, nothing or nobody has be ‘exposed’ yet, your post is a crock.

Let’s see if your still boasting when McDermott or Wane come good at the end of the seaon as per (which incidentally is what happened to Cas last year) - learn from history is my advise.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2799
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18243.jpg
Ettinghausen's gone ice skatin':18243.jpg

Raising the standards of the game over here?? Good lord. Holbrook is doing well but christ he had a decent squad vastly underperforming and was handed SLs best player on a plate....an absolute gimme for a coach so far and as stated he's won nothing yet. Wigan arent exactly on fire, wires recovering from a horror season (a much bigger rebuilding job), Leeds are gone (for now), cas struggling and hull decimated with injuries yet saints are still nowhere near as dominant as Wire 2011 or Cas 2017. Holbrook looks a good coach so far but typical scouse hyperbole to have him down as some sort of coaching god and revolutionary here to save the British game.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9565No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif
:fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif

Agreed. Sts aren't playing some revolutionary style, but they are playing with confidence and getting the best out of Ben Barba, who has genuine class.

I'd say Cas at their best last year were a better side than Sts this year. Some of their ball movement as a team was really top class, which a couple of NRL coaches commented on. The Eden no try was about the only time they showed similar flair in the GF, and showed what they could do if they could execute their plays. Luckily for Leeds Cas' ball control was U9s level whilst we managed something like U12s.

RankPostsTeam
International Star712No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Dec 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
61326_1313411800.jpg
Friday 28th March, 2014, a day that will live in infamy... [quote="Saddened!":fwnfr3rg]Whatever happens they have all been magnificent. Even Wello.[/quote:fwnfr3rg] [quote="Saddened!":fwnfr3rg]Lance Hohaia can have my babies after that show[/quote:fwnfr3rg] #theworldturnedupsidedown:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_61326.jpg

Quote: ratticusfinch "yet saints are still nowhere near as dominant as Wire 2011 or Cas 2017'"

Cas in 2017 won the league by 10 clear points so can see how you can say Saints aren’t quite at that level of domination yet...

Wire in 2011 however finished top of the league 1 point in front of Wigan and 7 in front of Saints in 3rd. Currently Saints sit 4 points clear of Wigan in 2nd and 6 clear of Wire in 3rd.

Not sure how you can make the statement saints aren’t as dominant as Wire 2011 (who didn’t even make GF that year), or more importantly bou can say Wire dominated the league in 2011 finishing a point clear a010.gif

RankPostsTeam
Moderator39671
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: wakey_saint "Cas in 2017 won the league by 10 clear points so can see how you can say Saints aren’t quite at that level of domination yet...

Wire in 2011 however finished top of the league 1 point in front of Wigan and 7 in front of Saints in 3rd. Currently Saints sit 4 points clear of Wigan in 2nd and 6 clear of Wire in 3rd.

Not sure how you can make the statement saints aren’t as dominant as Wire 2011 (who didn’t even make GF that year), or more importantly bou can say Wire dominated the league in 2011 finishing a point clear :CROWN: I am the hash browns of rlfans :CROWN::27476.gif

Quote: Fantastic Mr Catpiss "He's clearly referring to the amount of points we were putting on teams during matches. where we were racking up big scorelines, saints haven't been doing that this season.

1 Wolvescolours.svg Warrington Wolves 27 22 0 5 1072 401 671 44
2 Wigancolours.svg Wigan Warriors 27 20 3 4 852 432 420 43
3 Saintscolours.svg St Helens R.F.C. 27 17 3 7 782 515 267 37'"

Despite not "racking up big scorelines" Saints have averaged 33 points a game, compared to the 39 points a game you highlight here. When you consider Warrington 2011 is averaging conceding 2 points a game more than Saints 2018, is 4 points really the difference between dominating and not?

Only two teams have dominated a year, Saints 2006 and Leeds 2015. The better question is will the Saints 2018 team follow in their footsteps, or fall away like a Warrington 2011 or Cas 2017.

QUOTE | REPLY
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6767No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
The new young dynasty of super saints is coming to a ground near you. Welsby-Dodd-Simms-Eaves-Rizzelli, not Eastmond...the future is coming.:Dwarfs, Gnomes, Halflings/GNOME2.JPG

Quote: Magic Superbeetle "Despite not "racking up big scorelines" Saints have averaged 33 points a game, compared to the 39 points a game you highlight here. When you consider Warrington 2011 is averaging conceding 2 points a game more than Saints 2018, is 4 points really the difference between dominating and not?

Only two teams have dominated a year, Saints 2006 and Leeds 2015. The better question is will the Saints 2018 team follow in their footsteps, or fall away like a Warrington 2011 or Cas 2017.'"

The game in 2018 is a bit different to the game in 2011 also, much slower these days with time wasting, wrestling mauls, ambiguous ref calls etc. I don't recall any of Saints games this season when they have been in top gear for 80 mins, they have a decent attack but its there defence which has got them where they are at the moment, I think they have hit 60+ points this season on 2 occasions this season but its getting a rare occurrence in super league these days as no other team has come up with big scores as mentioned.

QUOTE | REPLY
RankPostsTeam
International Star11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

Quote: McClennan "Not really. Most of the Saints fans I was watching the game were miffed that the Grand Final was a one-sided romp for Leeds so I don't know how you got that impression.

As for Cas' drop in form. I'd suggest that's more to do with other teams improving their efforts e.g. Saints and Warrington. Take those two, with their NRL experienced coaches, out of the equation and Cas would be comfortably top 4. What Holbrook is doing is raising the standard of the game over here, which in turn is exposing the lack of quality coaching within this competition. The success last year was great but it was tied in with a competition which has been stagnating since Maguire left Wigan at the end of 2011. Now that coaching quality is rising again, so it becomes harder to compete.'"

Give over. All the table is showing, pretty similar to previous years is that things are based on how healthy your squad remains. Saints have stayed pretty good injury wise barring Walmsley but you should be able to cope with a single long term injury. Let's see how Holbrook does if he has to go a sustained period withoit 6/7/8 starters like some others are doing.

QUOTE | REPLY
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1196
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"Stand by me as I stand by you, be brave and dare to dream".:

Quote: BrisbaneRhino "The Eden no try was about the only time they showed similar flair in the GF, and showed what they could do if they could execute their plays. Luckily for Leeds Cas' ball control was U9s level whilst we managed something like U12s.'"

That’s the best & most honest assessment of last years Grand Final I’ve read!!

QUOTE | REPLY
RankPostsTeam
International Star712No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Dec 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
61326_1313411800.jpg
Friday 28th March, 2014, a day that will live in infamy... [quote="Saddened!":fwnfr3rg]Whatever happens they have all been magnificent. Even Wello.[/quote:fwnfr3rg] [quote="Saddened!":fwnfr3rg]Lance Hohaia can have my babies after that show[/quote:fwnfr3rg] #theworldturnedupsidedown:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_61326.jpg

Quote: Fantastic Mr Catpiss "He's clearly referring to the amount of points we were putting on teams during matches. where we were racking up big scorelines, saints haven't been doing that this season.'"

Yeah fair point...scorelines like 66-4 vs Huddersfield or 60-10 vs Salford, even 40-18 away at Cas obviously dont count as racking up big scorelines.

As pointed out above, averaging 6 more points a game is hardy domination...especially when you consider some of the whipping boys present in SL in 2011 (Crusaders, Harlequins & Wakefield were all particularly poor that year and conceding points for fun). Compare that to now where no team is repeatedly getting hammered by 30+ points on a weekly basis and I would guess if you took Wire's scores out against these teams and compared a new average for that season it would tell a different story about your "domination" in games

Either way, there is a long way to go and a lot of rugby to be played before anything gets decided...although if dominating the league means missing out on the GF altogether like Wire in 2011 then I'm glad we arent dominating or as good as you were then a010.gif

QUOTE | REPLY
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6767No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: wakey_saint "Yeah fair point...scorelines like 66-4 vs Huddersfield or 60-10 vs Salford, even 40-18 away at Cas obviously dont count as racking up big scorelines.

As pointed out above, averaging 6 more points a game is hardy domination...especially when you consider some of the whipping boys present in SL in 2011 (Crusaders, Harlequins & Wakefield were all particularly poor that year and conceding points for fun). Compare that to now where no team is repeatedly getting hammered by 30+ points on a weekly basis and I would guess if you took Wire's scores out against these teams and compared a new average for that season it would tell a different story about your "domination" in games

Either way, there is a long way to go and a lot of rugby to be played before anything gets decided...although if dominating the league means missing out on the GF altogether like Wire in 2011 then I'm glad we arent dominating or as good as you were then
Bradford, London and Crusaders were very much cannon fodder in 2011, Wire racked up 58,64,82,54,64,56 points respectively. I would imagine the bottom 3 this season 2018 in Hull KR, Catalan and Widnes are stronger teams by comparison.
Around 35% of Wires points for, that season was donated by those 3 very weak teams who were each just shy of conceding nearly a 1000 points against.

QUOTE | REPLY
RankPostsTeam
Moderator39671
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Judder Man "Bradford, London and Crusaders were very much cannon fodder in 2011, Wire racked up 58,64,82,54,64,56 points respectively. I would imagine the bottom 3 this season 2018 in Hull KR, Catalan and Widnes are stronger teams by comparison.
Around 35% of Wires points for that season was donated by 3 very weak teams.'"

How were salford wakefield and cas that year? cos we put big scores on those as well as scoring 40 against leeds twice, 39 against wigan.

You can only beat what's in front of you, and as you say, bradford london and crusaders being very much cannon fodder saints piled on the points.

saints 16 - london 27
saints 28 bradford 16
crusaders 18 saints 34
saints 28 crusaders 12
saints 14 bradford 14
london 16 saints 34

As you say, cannon fodder.

And just to say, i'm not arguing anything here, someone else made a point, i'm just fleshing out history whether you want to accept it or not, we were smashing teams, sometimes we put the foot on the gas other times we went easy and during the season we'd beaten some teams before setting foot on the field, not that it did us any good when it got to the play offs.

However Wakey Saint seems to be trying very hard to convince himself that saints are the new big thing whilst getting his digs in at Warrington.

QUOTE | REPLY
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6767No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Fantastic Mr Catpiss "How were salford wakefield and cas that year? cos we put big scores on those as well as scoring 40 against leeds twice, 39 against wigan.

You can only beat what's in front of you, and as you say, bradford london and crusaders being very much cannon fodder saints piled on the points.

saints 16 - london 27
saints 28 bradford 16
crusaders 18 saints 34
saints 28 crusaders 12
saints 14 bradford 14
london 16 saints 34

And just to say, i'm not arguing anything here, someone else made a point, i'm just fleshing out history whether you want to accept it or not, we were smashing teams, sometimes we put the foot on the gas other times we went easy and during the season we'd beaten some teams before setting foot on the field, not that it did us any good when it got to the play offs.

However Wakey Saint seems to be trying very hard to convince himself that saints are the new big thing whilst getting his digs in at Warrington.'"

Are we not talking about Warrington 2011 and Saints 2018 here, if you want to go off piste, lets talk Saints 80-0 Wire, Saints 62-0 Wire, Saints 56-4 Wire, etc etc and all the other annihilations, foot on the gas so to speak.

QUOTE | REPLY
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2622
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45934_1538869507.jpg
[quote="Lebron James":37zhy5zz] [b:37zhy5zz]Saints by 32 Regards King James[/b:37zhy5zz] [/quote:37zhy5zz]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45934.jpg

Quote: Fanstasic Mr Catpiss "

How were salford wakefield and cas that year? cos we put big scores on those as well as scoring 40 against leeds twice, 39 against wigan.

saints 16 - london 27
saints 28 bradford 16 
crusaders 18 saints 34 
saints 28 crusaders 12
saints 14 bradford 14
london 16 saints 34

However Wakey Saint seems to be trying very hard to convince himself that saints are the new big thing whilst getting his digs in at Warrington..'"

Quote: Fanstasic Mr Catpiss "Are we not talking about Warrington 2011 and Saints 2018 here, if you want to go off piste, lets talk Saints 80-0 Wire, Saints 62-0 Wire, Saints 56-4 Wire, etc etc and all the other annihilations, foot on the gas so to speak.'"

???- all those results are 2011 so he certainly remains on piste.

QUOTE | REPLY
81 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
81 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.76953125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
ChampagneSup
6m
BORED The Band Name Game
Cokey
17m