FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > Shock on the cards?
69 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
International Star3368No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2015Jan 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
60495_1398780661.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_60495.jpg

well at least his injuries aren't as bad as first thought.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7504No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2017Aug 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Did you get rid of all the voices in your head? Do you now miss them and the things that they said?:

Quote: Starbug "I have seen players sustain exactly those injuries making a tackle, does that mean they have been fouled?'"

You really are special aren't you?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach101
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024May 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Cronus "Strange then, that no official saw fit to call foul play. The referee didn't see it that way, he called the linesman on who agreed, and the video ref reviewed it and saw similar. Cummings agreed.

Yes, contact to the head - clearly, I think we all saw that.... The officials clearly agreed. Nothing to penalise, pure accident, knock-on is the call.'"

See this is the issue, the ref's mic clearly picked up him saying "shoulder to shoulder, no contact to the head, it's a knock on". Well you only need to view it once to realise that there definitely was contact to the head, and that can be further proved by the injuries sustained.

Regardless of whether the head was directly attacked (it was) any tackle that results in a player knocked out cold before he hits the floor, and needing a stretcher with a neck brace and an oxygen mask cannot be legal in this game. I hate the current shoulder charge rule as much as the next man, and I certainly don't want us to lose the last bit of biff in the game, but that incident was a straight red any day of the week - especially after 2 similar incidents have resulted in straight reds in the past few weeks

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach4094
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Darlings of Super League:

I agree with Wigan fans: Russell should get a short ban and letter about his technique for the temerity of keeping his eyes on the ball while an innocent opponent is trying to him.

RankPostsTeam
International Star322No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2014Sep 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Roy Haggerty "Most tackles involve attempting to hit the opposing player at high speed. That's what rugby league players do. That distinction is false.

I absolutely understand Warrington fans feeling aggrieved at what's happened to Russell, who would have been a key player in their push on Old Trafford, but let's not try to create a drama where there is none. It was tackle which connected with the head carelessly, not a deliberate attack to the head. I'll be honest, until I saw the replay from the angle Carney and Wells showed after the game, I thought Thaler got it spot on, as it was very difficult to see any direct head contact from the angles shown, and at full speed. I thought the knock-out was due to his head hitting the floor after the impact. But clearly, direct impact on the head did take place. He'll get charged with a careless high tackle, of the sort which does take place in every game, but which - thankfully - doesn't usually have such awful consequences.

Let's put the pitchforks away. RL is a high-speed collision sport, and occasionally those collisions go wrong. It doesn't mean the players are actively trying to seriously injure each other every time someone gets hurt.'"

Russell wasn't in possession when he got smashed. There was direct contact with the head. If Moon & Walmsley a send off, so was that. And so was Flynn.

If you look at the hit Webster took when I think it was Soliola caught him full in the face with his shoulder. Under the contact to the head rules, that was also a send off.

The inconsistency in the use of video refs is concerning. Both the Moon & Walmsley send offs were looked at several times by the VR, but Thaler chose not to.

There's also the issue of what should have been a try to Widnes following the hit on Russell. The decision was knock on against warrington. That meant it was free play to Widnes & they appeared to score off it. A fundamental error from the officials not to check this.

Ganson & Child awarding the Flynn try was so utterly shocking an error, you have to seriously question the competence & integrity of these people.

I find Cummings interjections in commentary to be laughable most of the time. Makes the game look stupid & reveals just what a pathetic agenda he had in place when in charge of the match officials department.

RankPostsTeam
International Star322No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2014Sep 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Cronus "Strange then, that no official saw fit to call foul play. The referee didn't see it that way, he called the linesman on who agreed, and the video ref reviewed it and saw similar. Cummings agreed.

Lieuluai did nothing wrong. He even went low himself, nothing wrong with his technique. However, the fact Russell had knocked-on and was lunging forward for the ball meant neither player was able to time the collision correctly. You even see Lieuluai realise, as Russell moves forward reaching for the ball, that the collision is coming too quickly and he turns his head just prior to impact. Regardless, no intent, no foul play.

There isn't always blame, and just because there's been a nasty collision and injury doesn't necessarily mean the tackler was reckless or negligent in their duty of care. Sometimes it's nothing more than a consequence of big, powerful men trying to flatten one another at high speed.

Yes, contact to the head - clearly, I think we all saw that - but for me Russell lunging forward in is the main reason for the clumsy collision. The officials clearly agreed. Nothing to penalise, pure accident, knock-on is the call.'"

The VR was not asked to review it by Thaler. Leuluai had a responsibility to make sure he did not smash a player not in possession of the ball. He should have gone for the ball, not the man who didn't have it.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1072
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022Jan 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: LeagueDweeb "The VR was not asked to review it by Thaler. Leuluai had a responsibility to make sure he did not smash a player not in possession of the ball. He should have gone for the ball, not the man who didn't have it.'"

Having spoken to the touch judge and got his opinion Thaler was heard speaking to the VR through his mouthpiece to get his opinion and then commenting on the VR's opinion of the incident afterwards (repeating back what the VR had said to him to confirm the opinion) before he announced his decision on action to be taken to the players. It didn't show replays on the big screen but he did get the VR to look at the incident and ask for his verdict.

RankPostsTeam
International Star322No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2014Sep 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: wiganermike "Having spoken to the touch judge and got his opinion Thaler was heard speaking to the VR through his mouthpiece to get his opinion and then commenting on the VR's opinion of the incident afterwards (repeating back what the VR had said to him to confirm the opinion) before he announced his decision on action to be taken to the players. It didn't show replays on the big screen but he did get the VR to look at the incident and ask for his verdict.'"

I don't agree at all that this is what happened. The VR's didn't review the footage & offer an opinion.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7195No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Dec 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[url:33s610on]https://twitter.com/#!/Robbo_Wigan[/url:33s610on]:

The whole Russell didn't have possession of the ball argument is a bit of a silly one. It's nothing like the Walmsley one, it wasn't a late shot. In slow motion it will look bad but at full speed, had Russell caught that ball it would have been a brilliant tackle. Unfortunately Russell knocked on and there was no way in hell Leuluai had time to pull out of that. Of course I'm not blaming Russell before the Anti Wigan brigade jump down my throat. I hope Russell has a speedy recovery but there was absolutely no intent in that at all. I think it's more of an unfortunate accident than anything else.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator39671
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

If. He'd been going to tackle him, it wouldn't have been a problem, but he wasn't, he was putting a shot on, with the shoulder, he'd already decided what he was going to no, and that was smash him, not tackle him.

I said it was reckless last night on here, it wasn't but it was careless.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg
kcab sfrawdder Luck is a combination of preparation and opportunity Just to avoid confusion Starbug is the username of Steven Pike SOMEBODY SAID that it couldn’t be done But he with a chuckle replied That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried. So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin On his face. If he worried he hid it. He started to sing as he tackled the thing That couldn’t be done, and he did it!:9005.jpg

Quote: LeagueDweeb "The VR was not asked to review it by Thaler. Leuluai had a responsibility to make sure he did not smash a player not in possession of the ball. He should have gone for the ball, not the man who didn't have it.'"

If he had gone for the ball at the last second it is not inconcievable that they would have collided head to head, resulting in potentially a more serious injury to both

Yes ML was going to put a big hit on Russel, but that is not outside the rules, it was Russel moving forward that put him in a position that resulted in his injuries, just bad luck

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg
kcab sfrawdder Luck is a combination of preparation and opportunity Just to avoid confusion Starbug is the username of Steven Pike SOMEBODY SAID that it couldn’t be done But he with a chuckle replied That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried. So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin On his face. If he worried he hid it. He started to sing as he tackled the thing That couldn’t be done, and he did it!:9005.jpg

If he had gone for the ball at the last second it is not inconcievable that they would have collided head to head, resulting in potentially a more serious injury to both

Yes ML was going to put a big hit on Russel, but that is not outside the rules, it was Russel moving forward that put him in a position that resulted in his injuries, just bad luck

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach100
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34482.jpg
:34482.jpg

Quote: LeagueDweeb "I don't agree at all that this is what happened. The VR's didn't review the footage & offer an opinion.'"

If you listen again to Thaler throughout the aftermath of the incident (admittedly made more difficult than it need be by the Sky team talking over the referee) it's absolutely clear that he did consult with the VR, and made certain that he understood what the VR said, as well as asking for the view of the tjs. Players asked him to go to the VR, and he confirmed that he 'had looked at it'.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12389.gif
:12389.gif

Quote: LeagueDweeb "I don't agree at all that this is what happened. The VR's didn't review the footage & offer an opinion.'"

Whether you agree or not, he did. Thaler asks the VR "are we going with the knock-on or are we going with the contact", he later points to his earpiece and says "I've got it from here, knock on", and then several times, "they've viewed/reviewed it, no foul".

That's when the verdict changed from 'no contact with the head' (clearly a mistake and he only says it once), to 'no foul play' (which he repeats any number of times). And that's the crux of the matter. There was no foul play, no intent, no 'attack to the head' (as I've seen people claim). It was a clumsy, ill-timed collision caused by the speed of Leuluai's chase and the fact Russell knocked on and lunged forward and downward for the ball.

If Russell had gathered the ball it would have just been a well-timed, good hard tackle, but his forward lunge reduced the distance between the players unexpectedly. You can see Leuluai react to this by turning his head immediately prior to collision. It came too early, too hard, all timing out the window.

Not all incidents like this are foul play, regardless of severity of injury. We don't penalise when heads accidentally collide with hips, knees, elbows or indeed other heads and for me this is no different. 'Blame' is not the word to use but the position Russell put himself in is what resulted in the collision.

Again though, I expect the RFL will feel they need to send a message and will take some form of action.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach20628
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44480_1390845286.jpg
It's been fun.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44480.jpg

Mistimed, unfortunate, unable to pull out of it, any other opinion is surely by the by.

If I put out a straight arm on say someone like Eorl Crabtree I'll hit him in the chest, if I do it to Burrow I'll clean him out.

Can I use the excuse well I did the same tackle last week on Crabtree and no one said anything?

There needs to be a duty of care, if you make a mistake you hit the head then you're off.

If I run over someone in my car can I get away with by saying I didn't mean it, no.

Direct contact with the head in that type of situation should be a red, intended or not, otherwise we may get someone like Wane with his at the edge of the rules training turning it into a tactic.

69 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
69 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.080078125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Fev H Play Off
Marvin Goola
9m
NRL
Benny Profan
11m