FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > Penalties for bad business in 2014 to secure 2015?
71 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20966No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6679_1399761959.png
[quote="dally messenger":1gysl9ow]was watching an nfl doco. on one of their teams and they used the term bomb to describe those long high passes from quaterback to running back and i think gibson took that idea, realized you cant throw the ball forward in RL and adapted it to a "bomb" kick we have[/quote:1gysl9ow] [quote="eels fan":1gysl9ow]You poor poor obsessed fat ex vichyballin potato thieving stoaway.[/quote:1gysl9ow]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6679.png

Leaving aside London Broncos, who are being prepare for life in the Championship anyway, the question is still a valid one, even if I remove the (Obsessive?)reference to Bradford.

What happens if Team X finish 13th and are relegated along with London, only for it to become obvious in say November this year that Team Y have bankrolled their 2014 squad to 12th spot with cash they should have paid the inland revenue and other creditors and as a result, enter administration, wiping the financial slate clean, get themselves another set of owners for 2015 safe in the knowledge that even if they finish bottom of SL in 2015, they will have a far greater player budget and SKY grant than the 4 championship teams they will play in the middle 8.
By February 2016, the skulduggery of November 2014 is a distant memory as the top 12 will rarely be bothered by the top 4 of the lower league due to on-going financial limitations and restraint.

If I reintroduce Bradford to my question, specifically to Ady.....how would you feel if Team Y above were Wakefield and Team X Bradford bulls and Wakey spending beyond their means sent you down?

RankPostsTeam
International Star578No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2019Jan 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

The rules should be clear in advance and should be:

Go into Administration = 6 points deduction

'Go bust' = relegation to the bottom division.

Note:
Going into Administration is an insolvency event but it's aim is initially is for the Administrator to sort out the entity (company) owning the club so it can come out of administration and carry on.

By 'going bust' we would mean a club passing to an new entity (company) without the creditors of the old entity being paid off.

Wrencat is spot on. The SmokeyTA rant about punishing new owners is total rubbish. Any new owners know what they are buying and offer to pay an appropriate price for the purchase.

Agree that directors of an entity owning a club that goes bust should go on a 10 year "Not fit & proper" register. But that is pretty much in the operational rules now. Just needs tightening up.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman14145No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45_1302643626.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45.jpg

Quote: Mr Churchill "The rules should be clear in advance and should be:

Go into Administration

Right.

So, how do you incentivise anyone buying a club off the administrator to consider paying off any or all of the creditors? When they get ZERO benefit for so doing?

And you agree then that when Wakefield went bust in 2001, and were unable to pay off more than a small proportion of their creditors, they should have been banished to the bottom division? Or when London Took HMRC for £1/2m a few years ago, ditto?

Go on - answer me that?

RankPostsTeam
International Star578No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2019Jan 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Mr Churchill wrote

We are talking about what should be the clear rules going forward.

IMO they should be as I set out above. Clubs then know what the impact of how they operate might be.

If a club were in Administration, potential new owners could offer to buy the EXISTING entity owning the club, introducing sufficient funds to satisfy the creditors and the administrator, and then the entity owning the club would come out of Administration and carry on, albeit with a 6 point deduction. If it were a SL club, it would carry on with SL level of Sky money.

Potential new owners could, alternatively, offer to buy the club from the Administrator by way of having it transferred to their own new company. They would offer less for it than they would have to pay to buy the existing entity but as a consequence would be getting a club that would be in Championship 1 with the associated much lower level of Sky money.

So, the incentive you ask about (ie incentive to pay more to creditors) is that they would get a club still entitled to a lot more Sky money.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20966No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6679_1399761959.png
[quote="dally messenger":1gysl9ow]was watching an nfl doco. on one of their teams and they used the term bomb to describe those long high passes from quaterback to running back and i think gibson took that idea, realized you cant throw the ball forward in RL and adapted it to a "bomb" kick we have[/quote:1gysl9ow] [quote="eels fan":1gysl9ow]You poor poor obsessed fat ex vichyballin potato thieving stoaway.[/quote:1gysl9ow]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6679.png

Ady? Smokey? Any other apologist?
Quote: gutterfax "Leaving aside London Broncos, who are being prepare for life in the Championship anyway, the question is still a valid one, even if I remove the (Obsessive?)reference to Bradford.

What happens if Team X finish 13th and are relegated along with London, only for it to become obvious in say November this year that Team Y have bankrolled their 2014 squad to 12th spot with cash they should have paid the inland revenue and other creditors and as a result, enter administration, wiping the financial slate clean, get themselves another set of owners for 2015 safe in the knowledge that even if they finish bottom of SL in 2015, they will have a far greater player budget and SKY grant than the 4 championship teams they will play in the middle 8.
By February 2016, the skulduggery of November 2014 is a distant memory as the top 12 will rarely be bothered by the top 4 of the lower league due to on-going financial limitations and restraint.

If I reintroduce Bradford to my question, specifically to Ady.....how would you feel if Team Y above were Wakefield and Team X Bradford bulls and Wakey spending beyond their means sent you down?'"

RankPostsTeam
International Star578No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2019Jan 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Re your above scenario Gutterfax. With my proposed rules, your club Y would start 2015 in Championship 1. So your club X would get a reprieve and still be in SL in 2015.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45_1302643626.jpg

Quote: Mr Churchill "Mr Churchill wrote:
The rules should be clear in advance and should be:

Go into Administration

Thanks for giving your reasoning. Appreciated.

To that, I would say that they also get a club that has to incur a far higher cost base. And with far higher scope for losing a lot of your money if you get your numbers wrong. Like, if you get it 10% wrong on a £4m cost base, you just lost £400k. Get it 10% wrong on a £500k cost base and you lost £50k. So I'm not sure the "lot more Sky money" in itself is any reward? You are not in it to make profits, so costs would normally always approximate income, at best?

If the new owners bought the EXISTING entity (virtually no entities going into administration actually emerge from it, though) then why should they suffer any penalty at all? It's an interesting concept, though. But the act of going into administration crystalises a load of liabilities and costs that would not be there on a going concern basis, so it generally makes no sense to buy the insolvent entity.

Thanks for taking the trouble to go through your reasoning, though.

RankPostsTeam
International Star578No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2019Jan 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Adeybull "

If the new owners bought the EXISTING entity then why should they suffer any penalty at all? '"

- because new owners buying an existing entity from an Administrator would undoubtedly do so only in conjunction with a Creditors' Voluntary Arrangement. Even if, by way of a CVA, the creditors got back say even as much as 75% of what they were owed the club would still have "got away with" avoiding paying creditors 25% of what they were owed and

- as a disincentive to clubs running their affairs in such a way that any application to the court for an Administration Order would be granted.

Hence my proposal above that rules for the future should include a clear penalty of 6 points deduction for any club that goes into Administration.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45_1302643626.jpg

I assumed you meant the new owner would buy the existing business as it stood, with all its liabilities.

I can't imagine many folk who would buy a business out administration anyway (it is extremely rare) instead of transferring the assets to a new entity (as happens in almost every case where a going concern sale of some sort is achieved).

I can imagine even fewer who would do that AND not seek to repay all the creditors. Why would anyone want to do that? You get landed with any and all liabilities, claims and whatever that might crawl out of the woodwork in the future*, with no warranties or reprersentations to pursue with the former owners as you should have in a normal sale-and-purchase agreement, PLUS all the liabilities that crystalise on insolvency. That's why it virtually never happens.

The only times I have seen it happen is where administration is used as a resolution not for insolvency but for an irreconcilable dispute between shareholders (very rare); or where some unfriendly external creditor was seeking to put undue pressure on the business threatening the going concern, and protection was sought to prevent the bad guys from bringing a viable business down (happens sometimes).

The first quite clearly must have been a factor in the Bulls case, but the business WAS technically insolvent (as many clubs are) and would have become insolvent in actuality once OK sought to have his owner's loan repaid. But I suggest the situation you describe is extremely unlikely to be encountered, and certainly in an RL environment (it may have happened in soccer), unless maybe where the club and its liabilities were far smaller?

If it DID happen, and if the creditors were not paid in full, then for all practical purposes yes I agree that there would be little effective difference between buying the company out of administration and settling (say) 75% of the creditors , and buying the assets and settling 75% of the creditors. But my response was because I could not envisage it being a likely scenario in a Rl environment.

*EDIT: although yes, a formal CVA as part of the exit route ought to give a reasonable amount of protection, in fairness.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: wrencat1873 "Now that we are returning to promotion/relegation, would it be fair, if a club stayed in the top flight by overspending and then finding a new owner by means of entering admin. and changing owner.
Or, being promoted and then clearing their accrued debts and starting life in the top flight with a clean slate.'"

Why on earth are they going to do this? If your club goes in to admin you lose everything you have put in to it and the club itself. Why is someone going to go in to a club, spend their own money on it, then deliberately run up huge debts to get promoted or stay up just so that someone else can try and take the club out of Admin. That sounds like an absolutely mental scenario.

Quote: wrencat1873 "In the sporting arena, it is right and proper for people or clubs who break the rules to be "punished".
If a club breaks the salary cap, they would rightly get a points deduction or hefty fine, even if they had changed ownership.
I just don't get this, "don't punish the new owners, they've done nothing wrong" nonsense.
They may not have, but they will have gained advantage with the purchase price of the club (assuming they actually paid for it in the first place).'"
Sorry, icon_eek.gif your argument is that the new owners gain a competitive advantage because they bought the club at the price the market thought it worth? Thats less an advantage and more the way pretty much every transaction happens.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: Mr Churchill "
Wrencat is spot on. The SmokeyTA rant about punishing new owners is total rubbish. Any new owners know what they are buying and offer to pay an appropriate price for the purchase.
'"

You are punishing the new owners, however you want to dress that up. The thing is I have yet to see one person list one actual benefit of us doing this, simply plenty running around demanding some sort of punishment to someone to quench their thirst for penance.

That the points deduction is a benefit for the new owners because it depresses the purchase price for a rugby league club is just ridiculously stupid, not only because for the large part people aren’t paying anything for RL clubs in admin points deduction or not, its depressing a price which is starting at £0, but even if it did work Why on Gods green earth are we trying to make struggling clubs LESS attractive to investors?

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45_1302643626.jpg

Because they want to see someone be punished . Whether they are guilty or not.

Thank heavens these people are not involved in the crininal justice system.

RankPostsTeam
International Star519No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Adeybull "Because they want to see someone be punished . Whether they are guilty or not.

Thank heavens these people are not involved in the crininal justice system.'"

Another car analogy!

You buy a car, roadworthy, good condition, everything...The owner tells you he was involved in an accident and the price may be adjusted because of this, brilliant!

2 days later you're arrested for a hit & run the vehicle was involved in before you'd bought it.

Heck, you bought the car, you deserve to go to prison.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: andyh0064 "Another car analogy!

You buy a car, roadworthy, good condition, everything...The owner tells you he was involved in an accident and the price may be adjusted because of this, brilliant!

2 days later you're arrested for a hit & run the vehicle was involved in before you'd bought it.

Heck, you bought the car, you deserve to go to prison.'"

You arent buying a car. You are buying a business. One that is peoples jobs and livelihoods. One that hasnt been involved in a crime. One which provides enjoyment to hundreds or thousands. One which is part of our great game. If we didnt have people like those at Bradford, or Michael Carter and his team at Wakefield. Those clubs would be dead. They wouldnt be better run, they wouldnt be spending less on players and sustainable, they wouldnt be thriving teams at a a level they can afford or any other other catchphrases people want to use to justify their bloodlust. They would dead and gone and the game would be poorer for it.

Punishing the people who try to save these clubs is not only shooting ourselves in the foot, its kicking the Dr in the balls and spitting in his face for having the audacity to try and heal it.

Heck, he became a Doctor, he deserves kicking in the balls.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach1265No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: SmokeyTA "You arent buying a car. You are buying a business. One that is peoples jobs and livelihoods. One that hasnt been involved in a crime. One which provides enjoyment to hundreds or thousands. One which is part of our great game. If we didnt have people like those at Bradford, or Michael Carter and his team at Wakefield. Those clubs would be dead. They wouldnt be better run, they wouldnt be spending less on players and sustainable, they wouldnt be thriving teams at a a level they can afford or any other other catchphrases people want to use to justify their bloodlust. They would dead and gone and the game would be poorer for it.

Punishing the people who try to save these clubs is not only shooting ourselves in the foot, its kicking the Dr in the balls and spitting in his face for having the audacity to try and heal it.

Heck, he became a Doctor, he deserves kicking in the balls.'"

Absolute tosh - there'd still be a team in Bradford.

There's been 2,3, 4? attempts to sort out the Bradford mess and all have failed despite the use of administration/ripping off the guilible. This new lot are already careering down the slippery slope with the reported loan/advance/call it what you will revealed recently. Oh, and administration was merely a vehicle to spite a creditor (one who actually saved the Bulls from going completely belly up not long ago, no less).....and those in charge of the newco are the same lot who were running the oldco. Deserving of punishment - you bet they are

71 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
71 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.02880859375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Shareholders Meeting
Scarlet Pimp
Recent
Bulls Accounts up to Nov 2023
Blotto
FORUM