FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > League Predictions 2014 ?
143 posts in 11 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7504No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2017Aug 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Did you get rid of all the voices in your head? Do you now miss them and the things that they said?:

Quote: Mike87 "I think Saints fans are going over the top with this best pack in the league comments? I just don't see how it is when it's basically the same team as last year add Amor Masoe and lagfranchi none of those are real world class forwards. But I suppose opinions vary?'"

Did you watch the world cup? I would take Masoe at HKR any day of the week. The man is a wrecking ball!!!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7504No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2017Aug 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Did you get rid of all the voices in your head? Do you now miss them and the things that they said?:

Quote: Mike87 "I think Saints fans are going over the top with this best pack in the league comments? I just don't see how it is when it's basically the same team as last year add Amor Masoe and lagfranchi none of those are real world class forwards. But I suppose opinions vary?'"

Did you watch the world cup? I would take Masoe at HKR any day of the week. The man is a wrecking ball!!!

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3356
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons1949_files/4193-180guyguyme2003-msnicons.gif
The fans, the members, the people there.. from the day I stepped foot onto that field at the AJ Bell Stadium,I knew I would love that club for the rest of my life. "Jackson Hastings".. Worry a little bit every day and in a lifetime you will lose a couple of years. If something is wrong, fix it if you can. But train yourself not to worry. Worry never fixes anything. Mary Hemmingway, US journalist,widow of Ernest Hemmingway (1908-1986) The Stupid Neither Forgive Nor Forget The Naive Forgive And Forget The Wise Forgive But Don't Forget "I am not young enough to know everything" Oscar Wilde Irish Playwright (1854-1900) One likes people much better when they're battered down by a prodigious siege of misfortune than when they triumph. virginia woolf (1882-1941):icons1949_files/4193-180guyguyme2003-msnicons.gif

Quote: Roy Haggerty "
Quote: Roy Haggerty "8/9/10/11 [iSalford[/i - I would be amazed if they made the top 8, despite the hype. Not at all impressed by the squad, with a lot of last-paycheque type players. Would not surprise me at all to see them hovering in the bottom 3.[/'"
'"

Wow I know we have some harsh critics out there but bottom 3, not sure where that one comes from but if we do I'll quite happily let you take a dump in my shoes.

Best go and tell the doctor his investment so far equates to a basement battle. WTF are you on ?

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3356
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons1949_files/4193-180guyguyme2003-msnicons.gif
The fans, the members, the people there.. from the day I stepped foot onto that field at the AJ Bell Stadium,I knew I would love that club for the rest of my life. "Jackson Hastings".. Worry a little bit every day and in a lifetime you will lose a couple of years. If something is wrong, fix it if you can. But train yourself not to worry. Worry never fixes anything. Mary Hemmingway, US journalist,widow of Ernest Hemmingway (1908-1986) The Stupid Neither Forgive Nor Forget The Naive Forgive And Forget The Wise Forgive But Don't Forget "I am not young enough to know everything" Oscar Wilde Irish Playwright (1854-1900) One likes people much better when they're battered down by a prodigious siege of misfortune than when they triumph. virginia woolf (1882-1941):icons1949_files/4193-180guyguyme2003-msnicons.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star3874
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
66815_1344197625.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_66815.jpeg

I'd like to think that if Wakefield can finally get their four overseas players in Anderson, Godinet, Ryan and hopefully Siejka before the start of Super League (Visas! eusa_wall.gif ) and quickly develop a good starting 17 then we'll not be in the bottom 2 by the end.

If Salford stay clear of injuries they'll definitely be in the top 8 but hopefully they will have a shock loss to Wakey at the start! icon_razz.gifRAY:

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman5480No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021Oct 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
187.jpg
[img:2penstlp]http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/5994/saints7sk.gif[/img:2penstlp] "...the biggest boor, the most opinionated pompous bigot that frequents these boards and he is NOT to be taken at all seriously. ":187.jpg

Quote: Salford red all over "Wow I know we have some harsh critics out there but bottom 3, not sure where that one comes from but if we do I'll quite happily let you take a dump in my shoes.

Best go and tell the doctor his investment so far equates to a basement battle. WTF are you on ?'"

My dear chap, I have no desire to dump in your shoes, or in any item of your clothing, for that matter. Just calling it like I see it. I think Koukash has spent what he can on what he's been able to find, but I fear the total won't be the sum of its parts. Now don't think I'm some gratuitous Salford knocker. I'd love Salford to be successful, get big crowds and make some serious inroads into Manchester for RL. But from a neutral's perspective, taking your squad :

1 Jake Mullaney - FB - wouldn't be the first Aussie to come to Salford for a holiday, but let's reserve judgement - could be good.

2 Danny Williams - WG - meh

3 Martin Gleeson (vc) - CE - used to be a big fan when at Saints, but a total headcase off the field, and has largely ed away his talent, which is a shame. Waste of a shirt in most games.

4 Junior Sa'u - CE - Not quite made it antipodean, no better really than the sort of fringe islander London traditionally sign.

5 Francis Meli - WG - Too old and lazy now. But at least you won't have to experience his habit of making colossal feckups in Finals.

6 Rangi Chase - SO - on his day, brilliant with ball in hand. A terrible team player. Another off-field headcase. Trouble with a capital T.

7 Tim Smith - SH - Clever player, but another who has just failed to settle at a club or show consistent form. Don't see why Salford should be any different.

8 Adrian Morley (c) - PR - Great career. But it's over.

9 Tommy Lee - HK - poor hooker, already failed at several clubs

10 Lama Tasi - PR - who ?

11 Tony Puletua - SR - Big Tony was a star for Saints early on, but by last season, the ballboys were faster than him when jogging backwards, and his workrate makes the Greeks look like Stakhanovites.

12 Gareth Hock - SR - devastating on the field, but also sadly off it. Nutjob. Will lose more games with penalties than he wins with good play, and will miss plenty for disciplinary problems.

13 Steve Rapira - PR - meh

14 Théo Fages - SH - I thought last year the hype around this lad was entirely manufactured. He's ok. He's not great.

15 Darrell Griffin - PR - When your pack enters the field, do they get free pensioner mobility scooters ?

16 Andrew Dixon - SR - from a club which produces an endless supply of solid, unspectacular, unthreatening second-rows (Saints), comes one of the least impressive.

17 Shannan McPherson - PR - Hooray, a prop under 30. Solid, unspectacular.

18 Harrison Hansen - SR - Solid, unspectacular. Do I detect a theme ?

19 Matty Ashurst - SR - see Dixon....

I stopped there. I know there are others who will get a game when either your headcases are suspended for on-off-field disciplinary cases, or your old fellers in the pack are injured. But let's face it, none of them are names to cause the crowds to start shivering with excitement.

Should be good enough to turn over London and Widnes with no problems. Decent matches against Wakey, Cas etc. I predict a few thumpings against the top 6 sides. Sadly.

RankPostsTeam
International Star106
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2016Jan 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
52306_1385981488.jpg
[color=#BF0000:2j20dn1m]Salford Reds Devils[/color:2j20dn1m]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_52306.jpg

Quote: Roy Haggerty "My dear chap, I have no desire to dump in your shoes, or in any item of your clothing, for that matter. Just calling it like I see it. I think Koukash has spent what he can on what he's been able to find, but I fear the total won't be the sum of its parts. Now don't think I'm some gratuitous Salford knocker. I'd love Salford to be successful, get big crowds and make some serious inroads into Manchester for RL. But from a neutral's perspective, taking your squad

I'm just gutted we don't have scouts/ coaches with your knowledge and expertise! Maybe if we did we would win the league!? You must be a top coach from the nrl or somthing?? Every club need to sign people like you (experts) the doc needs to employ you and we will be sorted! What does noble know about signing players? He's never won anything has he! It's not like in his last job he took a team from South Wales who were only in there second year in Superleague and got them into the top six! Noble Hasn't got a clue who to sign or what team to pick, we might as well get rid now and get you signed! Then maybe we'll finish just above the relagation zone???

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5214No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27476.gif
:CROWN: I am the hash browns of rlfans :CROWN::27476.gif

Quote: salford sport "I'm just gutted we don't have scouts/ coaches with your knowledge and expertise! Maybe if we did we would win the league!? You must be a top coach from the nrl or somthing?? Every club need to sign people like you (experts) the doc needs to employ you and we will be sorted! What does noble know about signing players? He's never won anything has he! It's not like in his last job he took a team from South Wales who were only in there second year in Superleague and got them into the top six! Noble Hasn't got a clue who to sign or what team to pick, we might as well get rid now and get you signed! Then maybe we'll finish just above the relagation zone???'"

Funny how you don't say that to those predicting good things for Salford. Is no one allowed to say bad things about Salford?

For the record, I think he was overstating his opinion to make the point, but what do you disagree with? His points on puletua are pretty much spot on

As for noble he also signed a team that caused the club to go bust ... So there's an element of how well did he do given the resources available ... His job before at Wigan he hardly lit the world on fire ... But that's being pinickity and just showing there's another point of view to those held in Salford ...

RankPostsTeam
International Star106
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2016Jan 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
52306_1385981488.jpg
[color=#BF0000:2j20dn1m]Salford Reds Devils[/color:2j20dn1m]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_52306.jpg

He took wigan from the relegation zone one year to one game away from the grand final the next! Not bad that. I'm not saying noble didn't spend with the crusaders! I said he got the club to the six in there second year in Superleague which is pretty dam good IMO. He didn't bankrupt the crusaders the people incharge did. People can say what they like about Salford on here, I can reply how I like on here as well. icon_smile.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star585No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2015Nov 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

St Helens 2014

1.Jonny Lomax.. a legend to the Saints fans only a bit like theo at Salford more the fans wanting him to be great rather than actually being great.

2.Tom Makinson.. hardly an Antony Sullivan nothing great imo more down to the quality of super league lowering being the reason of him doing anything in games.

3. Jordan Turner.. Average player was at Salford was at Hull still is at saints wont be ripping any trees up.

4. Josh Jones.. Meh

5. Adam Swift.. Meh

6. Lance Hohaia.. WAS a decent WORLD CLASS player 5 years ago now he's nothing more than an average fullback playing stand off, saints fans slagged him off something rotten last year what's going to be the difference this year?

7. Luke Walsh.. supposedly a good player according to the expert saints fans, fact is I've never heard of him being spoken of in high regard is Australia if he was that great you'd have countless NRL clubs cuing up to land him fact is there wasn't.

8.Mose Masoe.. Big lad Could be a good player don't know yet though.

9. James Roby.. good attacking hooker probably the one world class player saints have.

10.. Louie McCarthy-Scar..oh cant be bothered.. just an average forward no better than any other forward in SL.

11.Sia Soliola.. had an ok world cup got dominated against England Knights at aj bell in samoa's warm up game, not exactly Simon Mannering quality anymore.

12. Jon Wilkin.. Been there (not there anymore) passed it

13. Willie Manu.. another pacific Islander type player similar to what Hull FC would sign.

14. Anthony Laffranchi.. another NRL player who wanted one last payday so headed for SL.

15. Mark Flannigan.. meh

16. Kyle Amor.. the experience this guy brings is just what St Helens need I mean all those big matches grand finals Challenge cup finals what a world beater that guy is.

See its easy to pull a team apart and give a supposed expert view into how good or bad certain players are going to be.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3837
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
60223_1310112970.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_60223.jpg

Quote: Mike87 "St Helens 2014

1.Jonny Lomax.. a legend to the Saints fans only a bit like theo at Salford more the fans wanting him to be great rather than actually being great.

2.Tom Makinson.. hardly an Antony Sullivan nothing great imo more down to the quality of super league lowering being the reason of him doing anything in games.

3. Jordan Turner.. Average player was at Salford was at Hull still is at saints wont be ripping any trees up.

4. Josh Jones.. Meh

5. Adam Swift.. Meh

6. Lance Hohaia.. WAS a decent WORLD CLASS player 5 years ago now he's nothing more than an average fullback playing stand off, saints fans slagged him off something rotten last year what's going to be the difference this year?

7. Luke Walsh.. supposedly a good player according to the expert saints fans, fact is I've never heard of him being spoken of in high regard is Australia if he was that great you'd have countless NRL club cuing up to land him fact is there wasn't.

8.Mose Masoe.. Big lad Could be a good player don't know yet though.

9. James Roby.. good attacking hooker probably the on world class player saints have.

10.. Louie McCarthy-Scar..oh cant be bothered.. just an average forward no better than any other forward in SL.

11.Sia Soliola.. had an ok world cup got dominated against England Knights at aj bell in samosa warm up game, not exactly Simon Mannering quality anymore.

12. Jon Wilkin.. Been there (not there anymore) passed it

13. Willie Manu.. another pacific Islander type player similar to what Hull FC would sign.

14. Anthony Laffranchi.. another NRL player who wanted one last payday so headed for SL.

15. Mark Flannigan.. meh

16. Kyle Amor.. the experience this guy brings is just what St Helens need I mean all those big matches grand finals Challenge cup final what a world beater that guy is.

See its easy to pull a team apart and give a supposed expert view into how good or bad certain players are going to be.'"

Please tell me this is a wind up of some sort? Otherwise, you are literally clueless.

RankPostsTeam
International Star585No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2015Nov 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: The Yellow Giraffe "Please tell me this is a wind up of some sort? Otherwise, you are literally clueless.'"

Saints fan I presume? obviously not totally serious just pointing out how what you write can pick fault with any player.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5214No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27476.gif

Quote: Mike87 "Saints fan I presume? obviously not totally serious just pointing out how what you write can pick fault with any player.'"

Saying meh is hardly "picking a fault' with a player. Also you're plain wrong with several of the things you said (roby is one of if not the top defender for the last couple of years for example) but I'm not going to be drawn into that.

What's frustrating is Salford fans jumping down the throat of anyone who says anything remotely negative about their team this year.

Plenty of people have doubts how far saints will go this year, that's fine, if people want to question how Walsh will go, that's their prerogative

RankPostsTeam
International Star585No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2015Nov 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Magic Superbeetle "Saying meh is hardly "picking a fault' with a player. Also you're plain wrong with several of the things you said (roby is one of if not the top defender for the last couple of years for example) but I'm not going to be drawn into that.

What's frustrating is Salford fans jumping down the throat of anyone who says anything remotely negative about their team this year.

Plenty of people have doubts how far saints will go this year, that's fine, if people want to question how Walsh will go, that's their prerogative'"

It's one thing saying how Salford will go and another being ignorant and coming out with stupid remarks about players they have barley even watched on a regular basis.
Let's just keep our negative opinions to our selves and see how the league pans out because I'm sure quite a few people like Roy had Hudds down in 6th place last year, so on that basis and expert review Salford should finish in 7th place.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5214No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27476.gif

Quote: Mike87 "It's one thing saying how Salford will go and another being ignorant and coming out with stupid remarks about players they have barley even watched on a regular basis.
Let's just keep our negative opinions to our selves and see how the league pans out because I'm sure quite a few people like Roy had Hudds down in 6th place last year, so on that basis and expert review Salford should finish finish 7th.'"

By that argument no Salford fan can comment on their own team because you haven't seen your players regularly! In fact by that argument no one can make a suitable prediction because no ones seen enough of everyone else - it's called a predictions thread.

As I said, my guess is the views were inflated to make a point. Though whilst his views were potentially misinformed which were actually wrong? (Like yours on the saints team) - even if not, he made his prediction, and the Salford fan got flustered with grand "better tell the doc his investments worth blah blah blah" - and it's happened in other threads too.

Also, show me anywhere Roy has claimed to be an expert? If that's his analysis, there's nothing to say Salford won't be as he predicted, there's nothing so say saints won't be in the bottom 3, but as I said, no ones been asked to defend when they've predicted Salford to be doing better than expected.

143 posts in 11 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
143 posts in 11 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.3427734375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Shareholders Meeting
Scarlet Pimp
Recent
Bulls Accounts up to Nov 2023
Blotto
FORUM