FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > origin at Wembley?
129 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
International Star91No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Oct 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Pinkerton "The problem is the Aussies in London don't care for us and never have done. They either see SL as inferior to the NRL or they're union fans who turn out for the big events.'"

I don't think you can confidentially make that claim until someone has actually tried to market to that group. London Broncos certainly haven't bothered as far as I can see (and I live in London).

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman7594
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021May 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8_1434361123.jpg
When my club didn't exist it was still bigger than yours:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_8.jpg

Quote: Pinkerton "I would go if they did, but I'd prefer it if they took it to China, Japan, Hong Kong, Indonesia etc. They've got the biggest market in the world right on their doorstep and they've never once tried to take the game there.'"

No final decision yet but they've been looking at Manly v Canberra in China for next season.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1652No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2021Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40092_1305980910.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40092.jpg

If it was in London I wouldn't go.. to far and too much expense for a game that has nothing to do with a team I support...

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach485No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2014Mar 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
21535_1387888493.jpg
southern softie and proud:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_21535.jpg

Quote: Prince "I don't think you can confidentially make that claim until someone has actually tried to market to that group. London Broncos certainly haven't bothered as far as I can see (and I live in London).'"

They have several times, they've tried to market the club as an 'Australian club in London', which is stupid and why we've never held down any roots. I've never seen them attempting to promote the club to the local area or Londoners, like me who had to discover the game through Sky. In all my years going, I've never once heard any Aussie accents in the stands, except for when we played Manly.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2164No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2014Dec 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

We have just finished a hugely successful World Cup where it has become blindingly obvious that people outside of the core support base care about international sport above everything else

We all know that the State of Origin is fantastic Rugby League but without any comparatives that really doesn’t matter to the potential new audience. What they need is an occasion and two states in Australia do not create the occasion that an International match does

While SOO has been very good for RL in NSW and Queensland, it is the attitude that it is the pinnacle of the sport that holds us back. Apart from the US insular sporting market, I cannot think of another (team) sport where the pinnacle of that sport is not international competition

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach485No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2014Mar 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
21535_1387888493.jpg
southern softie and proud:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_21535.jpg

Quote: vbfg "No final decision yet but they've been looking at Manly v Canberra in China for next season.'"

Oh right, hadn't heard about that. I hope it goes ahead, could be huge for the sport.

RankPostsTeam
International Star91No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Oct 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Dunbar "We have just finished a hugely successful World Cup where it has become blindingly obvious that people outside of the core support base care about international sport above everything else

We all know that the State of Origin is fantastic Rugby League but without any comparatives that really doesn’t matter to the potential new audience. What they need is an occasion and two states in Australia do not create the occasion that an International match does

While SOO has been very good for RL in NSW and Queensland, it is the attitude that it is the pinnacle of the sport that holds us back. Apart from the US insular sporting market, I cannot think of another (team) sport where the pinnacle of that sport is not international competition'"

So, staging a game which is guarenteed to provide cut-through in the London and national media, that could be marketed in a way that NRL does when they come to London, which is likely to help to continue to win new audiences for RL in the South (and thereby give more confidence to take international matches to Wembley), potentially introduce new sponosrs to the sport in the UK and, as far as I can see, isn't going to cost the RFL a penny, is going to hold the domestic game back? icon_rolleyes.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star1399No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2017Sep 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

How about making it the opening Saturday game for a Magic Weekend at Wembley?

Choose a similar opening event on the Sunday.

I'd be there with a carful.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2490
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2022Aug 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

It is a marketing ploy for the NRL to make them money. If they were concerned for RL in general they would have an annual international fixture at Wembley but they are not interested in that only the NRL. It is that which has undermined the efforts of the RFL to attract sponsorship as we have no credible international events on a regular fixed time frame ,just look at Union at least 7 internationals each year plus an overseas tour EVERY YEAR their clubs loose players from domestic competition for that! try asking the NRL clubs to do that & see how long you last before being laughed out of Sydney. If it was a plan to raise awareness of league & to support the RFL I would give it my support but it is not. Lets face it they change the rules of the game with no thought to us or consultation with the RFL or RLIF so let them take it to another country Iran would be fine with me..

j.c
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6858
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Nov 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

22/03/2013 Get LEIGH outta wigan:

SOO AT WEMBLEY - BRING IT ON.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2164No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2014Dec 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Prince "So, staging a game which is guarenteed to provide cut-through in the London and national media, that could be marketed in a way that NRL does when they come to London, which is likely to help to continue to win new audiences for RL in the South (and thereby give more confidence to take international matches to Wembley), potentially introduce new sponosrs to the sport in the UK and, as far as I can see, isn't going to cost the RFL a penny, is going to hold the domestic game back? You can roll your eyes all you want but the simple truth is that State of Origin will appeal to two markets, hard core RL fans who know all about it and Aussies living in/moving through London

I'm sorry, but the rest of the UK sporting audience don't know about a game between two Aussie states and care even less. What they care about is International occasions (and the actual quality of the game is secondary to this). I am very sceptical that this would get anywhere near the national media attention that we think it should

As for holding the domestic game back. As a specific occasion, of course it wouldn’t, as the wrong thing to focus on and lose the momentum of the world cup then yes

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach12363
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11987_1319451684.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_11987.jpg

I would love SOO to come to England .

RankPostsTeam
International Star110No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2015Jan 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
58050_1300988122.jpg
------------------------------------------ [i:2p94eqqs][b:2p94eqqs]Per scientiam ad salutem aegroti[/b:2p94eqqs][/i:2p94eqqs] ------------------------------------------:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_58050.jpg

Quote: Beverley red "Is it just Me or do others think that article shows utter disregard for the British game? Just who do the Aussies think they are? Why are they discussing our game with soccer bosses or anyone else other than the RFL. I Love origin & the NRL & subscribe to premier sports to get my fill, But super league is our top competition & nothing should be allowed to distract from that. If they are convinced that games at Wembly are the way to go then let the NRL clubs promote & support a proper & meaningfull international series every year (like union) six or seven games in a propper gap in the NRL/super league programe. That is something up to now they have have fought against. I just sounds like a money making scheme for the NRL clubs. If we are to fill wembley for rugby league games then it should be the RFL or RLIF getting that money not the NRL clubs. Just sheer arogance to describe their competition as the highest standard. International sport is the highest standard nothing else comes close.'"

But it is.

Like it or not the NRL is a different class to super league.

RankPostsTeam
International Star91No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Oct 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Dunbar "You can roll your eyes all you want but the simple truth is that State of Origin will appeal to two markets, hard core RL fans who know all about it and Aussies living in/moving through London

I'm sorry, but the rest of the UK sporting audience don't know about a game between two Aussie states and care even less. What they care about is International occasions (and the actual quality of the game is secondary to this). I am very sceptical that this would get anywhere near the national media attention that we think it should

As for holding the domestic game back. As a specific occasion, of course it wouldn’t, as the wrong thing to focus on and lose the momentum of the world cup then yes'"

You find rolling eyes because you making a sweeping general statement and qualify it as 'the simple truth'. Where are the facts, or even anecdotal evidence to back up your confident opinion?

It is my opinion, based on being a northerner living in London and having worked for several large companies populated by mostly football and RU supporting colleagues, that there is a high level of SOO outside of general RL fans. Many people I know are aware of the legend of that particular game, and I would bargin are more aware of it than international RL outside of the RL World Cup.

It's my opinion that this would build on the WC, and continue the work of building a southern audience which is essential for the game to survive and attract sponsors.

But of course you must be right and it's not worth trying, because you present your factless based opinion as THE TRUTH...

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach447No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2015Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I just cannot believe the stupidly of some of the "rent a northern chip on your shoulder brigade". SOO at WEMBLEY and HEAVILY MARKETED would sell out in minutes. I don't give a love if people up north can't be ar$ed, and I could not give a fig if you feel it takes £ out of our game, because I think it will drag in more long term £'s than we could ever hope to pull in on our own.

Why is it so few people associated with our game can see long term? From fans to chairman, to administrators... Never more than a week or two ahead. Short term solutions of the past are why the game is in the SHoneT. Not the NRL being better than us, they play the long game, they do not chop and change, they are consistent ... Like every other wealthy and world wide sport. We chuck the baby out of the bath every year or two. Licensing...no good. World Cup now ever 3 years, back to P&R. For goodness sake make your minds up and bloody stick with it for years and years.

As for making it a double header, love off! Again some idiots feel they have a better idea, well you don't. Enough said, rant over.

SOO, BRING IT ON. We Wealthy Southerners with more money then sense can pay top £'s and the miserable rent a moaners north of Watford can go and stew, but bemoaning for years how they missed a chance.

By the way I am exiled from Hull, an avid LB fan but most off all cut me in half and it is says RUGBY LEAGUE BORN AND RAISED, AND PROUD! I want our game to grows not stagnate as it would if people with the blinkers who come on here with no vision and no wish for change were in charge.

Going for a nap now.

129 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
129 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.2939453125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
12m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
Irregular Ho
35m