JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2011Jul 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50156_1266757028.jpg
[b:6jl68bf5][quote="Damo-Leeds":6jl68bf5]Please tell me what a coach’s job is.[/quote:6jl68bf5] [/b:6jl68bf5] [quote="Matt89":6jl68bf5]phipps knows best (everything about rugby league) so don't disagree!!!![/quote:6jl68bf5] [quote="Huddersfield1895 AKA dally messenger":6jl68bf5] Having read the article several times I'm still confused[/quote:6jl68bf5] [quote="Damo-Leeds":6jl68bf5]I shall keep posting on this thread and derail it as much as I want to.[/quote:6jl68bf5] [b:6jl68bf5][quote="PHIPPS":6jl68bf5]Sadly for Wigan as soon as Maguire gets an offer from an NRL club he will be on the plane home before you can say 'meat and potato pie'[/quote:6jl68bf5] [/b:6jl68bf5] [quote="Conorgiantsfan":6jl68bf5]I like you Phipps. I like your style.[/quote:6jl68bf5] [quote="Chorlton RL":6jl68bf5]As far as gauging the potential in the South West, I'd have thought the rumoured Wembley international double-header at the end of the season would be good way to do this. [/quote:6jl68bf5] [quote="Conorgiantsfan":6jl68bf5]You really annoy me. Like genital warts, but worse.[/quote:6jl68bf5]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50156.jpg

Quote: Roy Haggerty "I reffed an U16s tournament yesterday. The vast majority of players and adults were perfectly behaved. There was one parent of one team, however, who decided to barrack from the touchline. The RFL guy running the comp went over and had some words, and he shut up after a couple of games. If he hadn't, I would have refused to referee any more of his team's games until he removed himself from the vicinity. The key, I've found, is not to get angry or distressed, but to simply hit the "calm and dispassionate" button. In that regard, I guess being a teacher is helpful, because the behaviour is quite similar to that you might get from an unreasonable kid in a classroom. In the past, I have sent spectators off, by halting play until they put themselves in the clubhouse out of earshot. However, it should never get to that. It is absolutely the responsibility of the management of the team in question to control their own "supporters". I'll be coaching this summer in the RLC, and if any of our fans/followers start abusing the ref, it'll be me who tells them to can it.

I ended up doing 18 10-minute games, so I was a bit knackered at the end, and most coaches and players came over and thanked me and the other ref after the final. There are some nutters who set pretty poor examples to kids, but they are a minority, at least in London and the south-east.'"

With all due respect Roy from what I've witnessed school teachers are amongst the least likely people to be able to control any incidents of dissent/public order/disorderly conduct.

Most teachers I know (and sadly I know a few) have little or no interpersonal skills and their idea of 'controlling' a situation is just to shout a lot, have a little tanty and send the kid (or kids) to the headmaster.

Teachers are an unfortunate breed. They have never really left school... or certainly never left that type of environment. Give them a situation that doesnt involve berating a small child or writing stuff on a whiteboard and they are stumped.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman5480No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021Oct 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
187.jpg
[img:2penstlp]http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/5994/saints7sk.gif[/img:2penstlp] "...the biggest boor, the most opinionated pompous bigot that frequents these boards and he is NOT to be taken at all seriously. ":187.jpg

Quote: PHIPPS "With all due respect Roy from what I've witnessed school teachers are amongst the least likely people to be able to control any incidents of dissent/public order/disorderly conduct.

Most teachers I know (and sadly I know a few) have little or no interpersonal skills and their idea of 'controlling' a situation is just to shout a lot, have a little tanty and send the kid (or kids) to the headmaster.

Teachers are an unfortunate breed. They have never really left school... or certainly never left that type of environment. Give them a situation that doesnt involve berating a small child or writing stuff on a whiteboard and they are stumped.'"

To be fair, I think most teachers coming across you, either in or out of the classroom, would recognise you as an attention-seeking cretin and treat you in a special way. So you probably shouldn't generalise from your own experience. I'll explain "generalise" for you, if you like. Or "cretin".

Now don't try to answer my posts again. I'm one of the grown-ups here. Go back to being bullied by the other kids while I make a brew in the staffroom.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach627No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Roy Haggerty "To be fair, I think most teachers coming across you, either in or out of the classroom, would recognise you as an attention-seeking cretin and treat you in a special way. So you probably shouldn't generalise from your own experience. I'll explain "generalise" for you, if you like. Or "cretin".

Now don't try to answer my posts again. I'm one of the grown-ups here. Go back to being bullied by the other kids while I make a brew in the staffroom.'"

Not defending phipps who seems a total kn*b but please don't throw cretin in as an insult.As a teacher you obviously know that its a medical condition caused by an undiagnosed lack of thyroxin at birth.I.e cretinism and is not a very p.c. insult! rant over ta.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021Oct 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
187.jpg
[img:2penstlp]http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/5994/saints7sk.gif[/img:2penstlp] "...the biggest boor, the most opinionated pompous bigot that frequents these boards and he is NOT to be taken at all seriously. ":187.jpg

Quote: t drednowts is cumin! "Not defending phipps who seems a total kn*b but please don't throw cretin in as an insult.As a teacher you obviously know that its a medical condition caused by an undiagnosed lack of thyroxin at birth.I.e cretinism and is not a very p.c. insult! rant over ta.'"

Happy to oblige. Is "moron" sufficiently unoffensively offensive ?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach627No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Roy Haggerty "Happy to oblige. Is "moron" sufficiently unoffensively offensive ?'"

icon_thumb.gif icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach73No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2013Mar 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Just going on to the serious aspect and the issues Tim2 has alluded to.

Its all good and well sending the parents off or to a suitable distance away, I have done that many a time only to be confronted when we get to the changing rooms for said person to have a second go at me, report goes in and the model nowadays is for whenever a coach, spectator or any playing staff get dismissed is for the rest of the club including people who probably weren't at the game to write letters in saying this, that and the other didn't happen and the punishments don't match what happened as its basically 1 report vs many. Now this is just on a minority of cases but a significant minority and im sick of seeing my colleagues dragged through this. Its not usually the players who are the issue so the humourous post about running from spotty schoolboys is a bit off the mark, it's usually the parents who are bigger than us.

Also from a development point of view, if senior officials like me and Tim2 (polite term for old gits) are getting fed up of behaviour standands, how can you expect us to blood new junior officials into the game into the swearing and personal abuse. This leads into the threads on here about the quality of officials not being good enough maybe there are some excellent officials out there but they are discouraged from taking the course and going down the route from what they see us go through. I have to remind them it gets easier the higher you go, when you get to Championship level it just becomes noise and its not personal most the time, it comes with the uniform. Unfortunately if you don't have the numbers, you don't get the strength.

Also because we don't have the strength or organisation the junior game suffers in terms of match official, I was just speaking to one of my colleagues who is off to Australia for studying and everything from U15s above is like Championship level here, they have a ref, two tjs who have communications kit (which works) and a timekeeper / scorekeeper. You look at our U15s games and its some poor old soul by himself

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach706No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2013Nov 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: chubbs1981 "In the other code a ref can stop a game and order people away from the pitch and if they refuse to go the game can be abandoned.

Now there is little from RU that i wish to come into league but i'd very much like to see this for junior grade. Ref should stop tell them to do one and if they refuse game finishes and awarded to oppostition.'"

One of my kids plays RU. I have honestly not heard a single negative comment to the referee or the opposing team while watching. Same with junior cricket. We didn't have any letters to parents about the expected behaviour, or code of conduct to sign, or anything like that - it just happens.

Local kids soccer is pretty much the same, although I do know of a couple of kids who were banned due to parents behavior and they do get people to sign agreements about not shouting at either players or officials.

Massive contrast to what I remember from playing kids RL. There were certain teams even at u-11 where you just turned up expecting a punch-up on and off the pitch.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021Oct 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
187.jpg

I think the problem is fairly serious in soccer, which is why they spent so much cash on their Ray Winstone campaign. I suspect the fact that it afflicts soccer and RL, but not RU and cricket has a lot to do with our respective demographics.

Fundamentally, the officials can't be left alone on this. It really is the responsibility of the clubs these people attach themselves to. If they cannot control their supporters, then the clubs should be penalised with points deductions, or even expulsions from the league. That sounds draconian, but I'm wearing two hats here, one club and one ref, and I feel strongly about this in both roles. If I can't get my touchline to stop unacceptable behaviour, then my team deserves to be penalised.

Ultimately, this is not hard to do at youth level. If you have a parent who is causing grief, you simply tell him that his lad is no longer welcome at the club until such time as that parent can control himself.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman863No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2018Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp032.gif
I want the finest wines available to humanity - I want them here and I want them now!:simpsons/simp032.gif

Quote: Roy Haggerty "I think the problem is fairly serious in soccer, which is why they spent so much cash on their Ray Winstone campaign. I suspect the fact that it afflicts soccer and RL, but not RU and cricket has a lot to do with our respective demographics.

Fundamentally, the officials can't be left alone on this. It really is the responsibility of the clubs these people attach themselves to. If they cannot control their supporters, then the clubs should be penalised with points deductions, or even expulsions from the league. That sounds draconian, but I'm wearing two hats here, one club and one ref, and I feel strongly about this in both roles. If I can't get my touchline to stop unacceptable behaviour, then my team deserves to be penalised.

Ultimately, this is not hard to do at youth level. If you have a parent who is causing grief, you simply tell him that his lad is no longer welcome at the club until such time as that parent can control himself.'"

All too often clubs back their coaches and supporters no matter what. I too have 2 roles, ref and club chair (actually 3 as I also chair the league) and I feel that my club has to have the highest standard of behaviour. The coach who caused me problems yesterday wouldn't last 5 minutes at my club.

A lot of the youngsters who play RL in the Midlands have played Union, and there is a noticable difference in behaviour. Even when they haven't, the majority of the clubs have good standards and are happy to sort any problems out.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member37704No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2051.jpg
The older I get, the better I was Advice is what we seek when we already know the answer - but wish we didn't I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full-frontal lobotomy ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ kirkstaller wrote: "All DNA shows is that we have a common creator." cod'ead wrote: "I have just snotted weissbier all over my keyboard & screen" ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ "No amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin." - Aneurin Bevan:2051.jpg

Quote: Roy Haggerty "I reffed an U16s tournament yesterday. The vast majority of players and adults were perfectly behaved. There was one parent of one team, however, who decided to barrack from the touchline. The RFL guy running the comp went over and had some words, and he shut up after a couple of games. If he hadn't, I would have refused to referee any more of his team's games until he removed himself from the vicinity. The key, I've found, is not to get angry or distressed, but to simply hit the "calm and dispassionate" button. In that regard, I guess being a teacher is helpful, because the behaviour is quite similar to that you might get from an unreasonable kid in a classroom. In the past, I have sent spectators off, by halting play until they put themselves in the clubhouse out of earshot. However, it should never get to that. It is absolutely the responsibility of the management of the team in question to control their own "supporters". I'll be coaching this summer in the RLC, and if any of our fans/followers start abusing the ref, it'll be me who tells them to can it.

I ended up doing 18 10-minute games, so I was a bit knackered at the end, and most coaches and players came over and thanked me and the other ref after the final. There are some nutters who set pretty poor examples to kids, but they are a minority, at least in London and the south-east.'"

As an ex-referee, I concur that the overly abusive and vocal speccies are in the minority,both as parents in youth games and general supporters in open-age games. As a ref, I generally felt removed from most of it but could empathise with my touch judges because they were getting it right in their lugholes. I can count on one hand the number of times I had to speak with club officials to get them to clean up their act and I only ever once abandoned a game. That was a BARLA youth cup game and I abandoned it after a fight broke out and a non-playing member of one club decided to cross the rope and lamp an opposition player. I immediately blew and started walking to the dressing room, my reason for abandoning the game was simple: I had no problem with controlling the players, subs, officials etc. but once the public became involved on the pitch, it was no longer within my remit.

I once ran the line in a local (Hull), Open Age cup semi-final and had obviously irked one dipstick on the touchline. He spent most of the first half following me up & down the touchline, rabbiting in my ear. He even followed me on the other touchline in the 2nd half. About ten minutes into the 2nd half I noticed a well-known local nutter and took the opportunity to let him know that "the bloke with the golf umbrella had been slagging your sister off continuously". Now, the nutter may not have been the sharpest tool in the box but he was hard as nails and fiercely loyal to his family. A couple of minutes later I heard a strangled "aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh" and saw the golf umbrella drop to the floor, as the holder crumpled in a battered heap. We enjoyed a quiet game after that

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach14082No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2017Feb 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9857_1341488583.jpg
WEST COAST PIRATES NRL expansion? Sometime soon, maybe......:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_9857.jpg

I must admit that I am amazed how much respect is shown to refs here in Perth usually. Even alot of the crowd address the ref as "sir" if they yell something at him! It is something that is bred into the kids at jnr level, always call the ref sir.

I have mentioned this before but the funiest thing I ever saw on a RL field was andy dannat (ex Hull prop) reffing an under 12's game in West Hull. One particlularly gobby father was giving all the kids a spray and Dannat blew his whistle to stop the game. Strolled over to the idiot and in no uncertain terms told him what course of action would occur if he didn;t keep his mouth shut. Needless to say the man never peeped another thing!

Maybe that is the answer, employ props as refs or touchies!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13355
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2019Nov 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Alive n kicking:

Quote: justarugbyfan "I was watching a amateur game this morning whilst waiting for my nephews game to kick off and was appalled by the amount of abuse that one of the teams parents delivered. The game was only U12's or 13's I think but they were swearing at the referee as well as the players. One of the parents was also urging her team to use their elbow in the tackle and applauded one of the lads when he did.

I found it utterly disgusting that the RFL have started this RESPECT campain and abuse is still a massive problem. The coaches were even wearing RESPECT bibs but that didn't stop them from swearing at opposition players.

Surely there must be something that the RL community can do to stop this from happening as people like this are making a mockery out of our sport.'"

the behaviour of some parents is deplorable and it always ends up being those who should know better and who any other given week would behave like normal human beings should. the others just dont know any better and just get frustrated cos they have never held a ball in hand in real battle . either way all are knobs

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member43413
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Sep 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3614_1281651917.jpg
[url:2qyny6du]https://twitter.com/Mr_Hutchie[/url:2qyny6du] [b:2qyny6du]@Mr_Hutchie[/b:2qyny6du] [url:2qyny6du]http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/hullwykearlfc/[/url:2qyny6du]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3614.jpg

Ive seen Tims reffing, no wonder he gets abuse icon_smile.gif

Only kidding mate, hope your keeping well , are the Sheffield lot still playing ?

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman863No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2018Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp032.gif
I want the finest wines available to humanity - I want them here and I want them now!:simpsons/simp032.gif

Quote: Hutchie "Ive seen Tims reffing, no wonder he gets abuse
No, sadly not. But I'm trying to start touch and tag in North Derbyshire, it'd be nice to lock horns with some of the old foes again!

RankPostsTeam
International Star286No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2011Aug 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
56422_1298254810.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_56422.gif

my experience here in Australia is that the junior leagues are well organised and managed and there are teams of referees that are appointed to a days refereeing, as such they have peer support at the game... also the clubs themselves are held accountable and each team manager along with the ground manager is on hand to manage the attendees.

58 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
58 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.6337890625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Merger with Huddersfield
MP
3m
Finn out Murrell in
MP
10m