JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33809_1522680904.png
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_33809.png

Quote: Mr Churchill "Two posts containing the most stupid ideas I've ever read.

We are talking about sport. Sport in the UK. Soccer in this country is the best lesson we could have for RL, right on our doorstep

English League Football used re-election until 1986.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Re-electio ... all_League)

It was used until more recently than that in Scotland, iirc.

How do minor counties get first class status in cricket? Tbf, it has only happened four times - Worcestershire (1899), Northamptonshire (1905), Glamorgan (1921), Durham (1992), so they perhaps don't need a system.

And RL itself has never had much of a pyramid itself - one big league, for most of its history and then make it up as you go along in the summer era.

There's a lot to be said for P&R, but there are complications and difficulties with it (As examples - what happens if Catalans get relegated? How to narrow the financial and sporting chasm between divisions to make relegation less potentionally catastrophic and promotion less likely to be a poisoned chalice? What to do with administration-newcos?).

Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy enough with well thought-through P and R. But we have to deal with the world as it and re-election in some ways offers a simpler path. Not 'fairer' or offering as much sporting interest as P&R - but better than what we've had so far in the summer era.
Quote: Mr Churchill "Two posts containing the most stupid ideas I've ever read.

We are talking about sport. Sport in the UK. Soccer in this country is the best lesson we could have for RL, right on our doorstep

English League Football used re-election until 1986.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Re-electio ... all_League)

It was used until more recently than that in Scotland, iirc.

How do minor counties get first class status in cricket? Tbf, it has only happened four times - Worcestershire (1899), Northamptonshire (1905), Glamorgan (1921), Durham (1992), so they perhaps don't need a system.

And RL itself has never had much of a pyramid itself - one big league, for most of its history and then make it up as you go along in the summer era.

There's a lot to be said for P&R, but there are complications and difficulties with it (As examples - what happens if Catalans get relegated? How to narrow the financial and sporting chasm between divisions to make relegation less potentionally catastrophic and promotion less likely to be a poisoned chalice? What to do with administration-newcos?).

Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy enough with well thought-through P and R. But we have to deal with the world as it and re-election in some ways offers a simpler path. Not 'fairer' or offering as much sporting interest as P&R - but better than what we've had so far in the summer era.

RankPostsTeam
International Star578No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2019Jan 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Mild Rover "English League Football used re-election until 1986.

The new 2x12; 3x8 structure through the professional game will address most issues and will be the driver for success if left in place for the long term. It will be better than anything else we have had before in the Summer era. Potential new clubs will begin to see a stable route to the top as the system settles down.
A more equitable allocation of SKY money across clubs down the pyramid will help address the current 'chasm' issue.
Some of the other features of the high level structure I woud see as also contributing to the success of RL in this country would be clear high level rules known to all in advance:

- Go into Administration = 6 points deduction
- Go bust = relegation to the bottom division
- No salary cap
- A limit on the number of players a club could have registered at any one time
- At least 13 of the 17 players named for any match to be qualified to play for an EU country (or, preferably, EU born; if we could get away with that legally)

I'd agree with you that some form of election from the top end of the community game to the third tier of the professional game would be appropriate. (As SmokeyTA says, even the most successful of community clubs may not wish to take the step of moving on into the professional game). (I think in soccer the concept of election/re-election only applied between the bottom of the fourth tier and the top of the 'non-league' game).

If Catalans (or any other team) gets relegated from SL1, they play in SL2 the next season (with the potential to be promoted back to SL1).

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5214No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27476.gif
:CROWN: I am the hash browns of rlfans :CROWN::27476.gif

Quote: Mr Churchill "
- Go into Administration

I agree with what you say about the league structure (my feelings are it won't be left it place long enough for the positives to come through, just like licensing)

But - administration and bust are two very similar stations on the same train line, for one to get such a relatively minor punishment and the other to get such a major seems a bit wrong - it will imo, lead to a "everything's okay now, promise" situation and more prolonged financial events like Bradford.

That's not to say financial difficulties should go as unpunished as they are, but they should be appropriately similar.

I won't turn this into a salary cap debate, but it's here to stay, and so it should be.

And saying 13 of the 17 need to be eu register will lead to, as so many on this board clambered to point out, second rate Aussies whose great aunts sisters dog once ate with a Spanish guy and thus qualifies. The fed trained rule works well in my opinion - though there should be more leniency (so long as it's spelt out and everyone knows the rules) for genuinely eu based players.

Personally, I would like to see the division below the 3 league being proposed be the top amateur/ community leagues of several countries (England France Wales Ireland etc) all on equal footing (similar to the football non leagues splitting north and south) and the winners of each coming to compete for an invitation to championship 3 (or whatever it will become)

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: Magic Superbeetle "I agree with what you say about the league structure (my feelings are it won't be left it place long enough for the positives to come through, just like licensing)
'"

There are positives to this structure, and the good news is that they will be immediately apparent.

The bad news is so will the obvious issues which will be so broad as to cause them to be addressed very quickly. The attendances in the bottom 8 will be appalling. Nobody will care about being the 17th best side in the league, pretty much that entire league will be a dead rubber and if as suggested there is relegation from that league. That will be an entire competition solely designed to find out who is the worst, it doesn’t even have the legitimacy of a plate competition. It’s a competition where you just simply try not to be the worst. A battle of the s.

The middle 8 risks being an absolute walk over, where very quickly there is nothing to play for and we have a procession of walk overs by better funded, better prepared, better players.

The top 8 also risks very quickly having no point, with so few games there is very little opportunity to turn things around, and there is also a possibility that we could see teams in that top 8 who quite literally have no mathematical chance of progressing from it and a very good possibility that there will be teams who start that competition with no realistic chance of progressing.

The biggest problem in gaining legitimacy for it is that there is a clear and obvious comparison. If for instance Hull KR (who finished 8th last year) finish 8th, the 7 games they have to play have already been played that year. Their three home games have a clear and direct comparison to live up to. It is likely that these games will be ‘extra’ and not included in season tickets (would you risk paying SL prices for a third of your season to be in the championship?) they were 9 points from 4th, 1 loss (and a 4th place win) and they are 11 pts and 4 places from 4th with 12 pts to play for. How many HKR fans are going to pay full price, for a ticket to see a repeat of a game they have seen, only this time with nothing to play for? If, like you would expect it is very few, you are left with a clear comparison showing a big drop in crowds.

RankPostsTeam
International Star578No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2019Jan 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: SmokeyTA "There are positives to this structure, and the good news is that they will be immediately apparent. The bad news is so will the obvious issues '"

There is no 'bad news'. You have simply set out your opinions - which are without foundation or consideration of the likely reality.

Take your comments about the final 7 matches that the third 8 will play. Consider what those clubs play for now in the last 7 league matches under the current structure. Nothing. Their fans are disillusioned. Gates are very low.

What will differ in the new structure for those particular clubs? Plenty. Just a few:

- Clubs will be fighting to avoid ending in the bottom 2 as it will mean relegation out of SL2 into the third tier
- The finshing positions in the 8 will determine how much SKY money the clubs will get for the following season. (i.e. I expect the distribution of SKY money in the following season to be graded - so that the higher a club finishes between places 1 to 24, the more SKY money they will get the next season). So directors will be able to offer appropriate player bonuses for the higher they finish
- Finishing in the top four will qualify you for the play-offs. OK nothing really at stake apart from pride & player bonuses. So, a bit like the old Premiership play-offs. But fans will be keen for their club to get to the play-off final even at that level - to enjoy a day out at a double header along with the middle 8 play-off final.

There are supporters of clubs outside the top 5 in the game who might win the Super League you know.

MjM
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman6817No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
86.jpg
Let all the doubters keep doubting and those who believe keep believing. We’re only interested in those in the bubble. Anyone who wants to come in the bubble, you can come in. But you’ve got to keep believing.:86.jpg

Quote: Cripesginger "If you took time to get hold of license criteria you would know what is being assessed. I have, why don't you? icon_lol.gif Fairly sure I've seen more of them than you icon_lol.gif But, once again, you claim that the Bulls being given a licence then having financial difficulties is a problem of the licensing system. The two are, to a degree significant enough for even you to understand, not the same thing.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1300No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Mar 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: MjM "icon_lol.gif Fairly sure I've seen more of them than you
I don't know how often you have seen them. And you have no idea how much I have seen them. However you have the need to make such an assertion. Oh dear.

Do read what I write rather than jump to your limited conclusion. An alledged detailed financial check that flags up no problems in July 2012 and May 2013 yet sees the club in a dire position within 2/3 months is dreadful. People who have never seen the licensing documents can work that out, you alas cannot.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: Mr Churchill "There is no 'bad news'. You have simply set out your opinions - which are without foundation or consideration of the likely reality.'"

Just giving a heads up as to what is likely to be announced later this month with regard to the new structure from 2015 season onwards once agreed by the clubs next week.

If anyone is so against it, they'd better make an appointment at RFL HQ quick, and let Ralph Rimmer know why they're wrong and what your alternative is.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Mr Churchill "Just giving a heads up as to what is likely to be announced later this month with regard to the new structure from 2015 season onwards once agreed by the clubs next week.

If anyone is so against it, they'd better make an appointment at RFL HQ quick, and let Ralph Rimmer know why they're wrong and what your alternative is.'"

Oh yeah, I know its going ahead. As I said, It means my club will spend the next 5 years at least competing for trophies with the big boys, everyone else will be pretty much irrelevant playing in competitions even they think are irrelevant. Sadly the league will then be cut to ten and your club will be even further away from SL, playing in a lower league competition which will have been absolutely destroyed. Its not the big SL clubs like my club who are going to be damaged by this if anything we really will be strengthened, we will be on a different level, it’s the lower league clubs and the lower SL clubs. Don’t be naïve and think this is an expansion of SL, it isn’t. It’s a huge contraction. Its sharing 2 SL clubs TV money with the entire rest of the league and guaranteeing them they will never be top clubs ever again. This is a ringfencing of a top 6.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member18789No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Mar 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2690.jpg
:2690.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "This is a ringfencing of a top 6.'"

That would be catastrophic.

SL2013
1 Huddersfield Giants
2 Warrington Wolves
3 Leeds Rhinos
4 Wigan Warriors
5 St Helens
6 Hull FC

SL2012
1 Wigan Warriors
2 Warrington Wolves
3 St Helens
4 Catalan Dragons
5 Leeds Rhinos
6 Hull FC

SL2011
1 Warrington Wolves
2 Wigan Warriors
3 St Helens
4 Huddersfield Giants
5 Leeds Rhinos
6 Catalan Dragons

SL2010
1 Wigan Warriors
2 St Helens
3 Warrington Wolves
4 Leeds Rhinos
5 Huddersfield Giants
6 Hull FC

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: littlerich "That would be catastrophic.
'"

Indeed, it would be terrible. With any luck Hull FC and Les Catalans will both be able take that next step and we can have our top 7, Bradford can get themselves sorted and we can have our top 8 and accelerate the move to a better structure.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member18789No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Mar 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2690.jpg
:2690.jpg

That would be awesome.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1300No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Mar 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

What a surprise to many who have posted on here. All the RFL money pumped into the Bulls + all the license financial checks + the financial check in may 2013 + checking two lots of potential owners in 15 months and we end with...administration.

How fortunate for the RFL that this did not happen a couple of weeks ago when the bulls helped give a 7-6 vote to the rfl plan.

Be interesting to see if any RFL board members will resign.

Naturally the bulls should have a 6 pt deduction. Why should Carter cut players to stay solvent while bulls pop into administration and keep everyone! Why should Hughes put his hand in his pocket and see the exodus of players to stay in business while the bulls 'work with creditors' at keep their squad.

Will Nigel Wood ever man up???

427 posts in 29 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
427 posts in 29 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.408203125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
9m
Film game
Boss Hog
23m