Sep 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
17555_1637667680.png
Wigan RLFC:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_17555.png

If London can replace Gus with someone who actually knows what they're doing instead of just getting jobs for old mates, then they could survive.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6767No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Dwarfs, Gnomes, Halflings/GNOME2.JPG
The new young dynasty of super saints is coming to a ground near you. Welsby-Dodd-Simms-Eaves-Rizzelli, not Eastmond...the future is coming.:Dwarfs, Gnomes, Halflings/GNOME2.JPG

It doesn,t take rocket science to understand that the biggest problem with the London club is one of identity and stability.
The very nomadic nature of the clubs existence does not give any sustainable fan base that the big name deserves.
I don,t know how much influence the RFL have had in ensuring the team is called London XXX to prove to the sporting world our sport has expanded beyond the North.
The introduction to Superleague was a short term calculated risk that was allowed to degenerate into the state it is today giving our sport a very negative outlook.
Maybe a drop down into the Championship 1 and the ascension of the Skolars into Championship 1 could be better for a renewed progression, or maybe its too late as the vultures circle overhead waiting for some of the better players.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1002No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

A clearout of the RFL would be a good start, so that instead of excuses and self-justification, we could have a bunch of new people, untarnished by the past who could start with an honest assessment, which is "great sport, struggling, (proper) strategic plan needed."

RankPostsTeam
International Star4647
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50733_1530270912.jpg
[color=#000000:ogl9gbum]"Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him."[/color:ogl9gbum]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50733.jpg

The BBC could have done worse than to blackout the screen at half time and put up a message along the lines of ''We are experiencing technical difficulties and will return as soon as we can''. Then return as they were presenting the MOTM.

RankPostsTeam
International Star81No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2013Jul 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

London in the capital could work, but it needs to be on the back of solid grassroots development of the game. You can't drop an SL team into a town and immediately get it to fly, even one as big as London.

Skolars are doing good work in Wood Green, Broncos need to establish a base and stay there, dropping into Championship 1 if necessary. Given the game is more likely to take in areas we aren't competing with existing RU clubs, I'd say that East London (look at sharing Brisbane Road with Leyton Orient) is probably a better bet than anywhere else. Encouraging Hemel to develop as a club, along with the amateur game in Medway would be a good way forward.

If we want to spread the game in the Capital in the meantime, the best way of doing that is promoting the Challenge Cup Final, playing England internationals in London, moving the Magic Weekend to London or even the Grand Final.

I don't doubt that the endgame for the RFL should be to have anywhere between 2 and 4 clubs in Greater London. But right now it isn't working, and we need to go back to basics and develop the amateur game. When development does happen, it will need to involve names already familiar to the southern public, and we should be looking to bring in RU players who could make it in RL - Manu Tuilagi, Billy Twelvetrees and Matt Banahan spring to mind. But a whipping-boy team full of ancient Aussies is something no-one in the North, let alone in London, would want to watch.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20966No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6679_1399761959.png
[quote="dally messenger":1gysl9ow]was watching an nfl doco. on one of their teams and they used the term bomb to describe those long high passes from quaterback to running back and i think gibson took that idea, realized you cant throw the ball forward in RL and adapted it to a "bomb" kick we have[/quote:1gysl9ow] [quote="eels fan":1gysl9ow]You poor poor obsessed fat ex vichyballin potato thieving stoaway.[/quote:1gysl9ow]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6679.png

There is a reason that the NRL has succeeded in expanding their game into enemy territory down in Victoria.....the same way there is a reason that the London Franchise has staggered from failure to farce.

If the Sports governing body had any ing spine, they would have told SKY that id they wanted a London team in SL, then they could pay for it!

Melbourne storm have had 15 years of backing by the sports broadcast partner and the ARL in the shape of extra cash and a fair amount of rule breaking/bending. Their team is crammed with stars and they are given the total support of the game to help the sport grow in AFL central.

Flip to London...dropped into the top league and left to fend for themselves with a paltry 10% leverage on the Cap for London Weighting. No "imaginary" payments under the table......but there bloody well should have been.

That said, I 100% blame the current mess that they find themselves in in London on the RFL and David Hughes......the RFL for not letting Lenegan stay with us as well as the pies (at one stage News Ltd owned controlling interests in Brisbane, Melbourne and North Queensland....no outcry from the NSW Mafia) and Hughes for employing complete idiots into key positions at the club.

They will drop out of SL...probably at the end of this year.

As for the players......it would seem to be the truth that the majority of them that are at the end of their contracts this year were told in February that they wouldn't be re-signed.....which would go a long way to explaining their gutless performance on Saturday!

I have supported London since 2002 and will continue to do so regardless of what division they ply their trade in, but in reality, they need to get rid of Mr Hughes, the CEO who is clueless and the coach who has lost what little ability he had 10 years ago. Play in The Championship at The Hive, build a sustainable fan base locally (east/west/north/south.....it makes little difference) and look to the future with a proper business strategy.....

RankPostsTeam
International Star5123
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
60524_1510403940.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_60524.jpg

Quote: gutterfax "Flip to London...dropped into the top league and left to fend for themselves with a paltry 10% leverage on the Cap for London Weighting. No "imaginary" payments under the table......but there bloody well should have been.'"

Oh dear, and we wonder why fans of teams with aspirations to join SL like Fev, Fax and Leigh get so upset when we talk about pathways to the elite league.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20966No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6679_1399761959.png
[quote="dally messenger":1gysl9ow]was watching an nfl doco. on one of their teams and they used the term bomb to describe those long high passes from quaterback to running back and i think gibson took that idea, realized you cant throw the ball forward in RL and adapted it to a "bomb" kick we have[/quote:1gysl9ow] [quote="eels fan":1gysl9ow]You poor poor obsessed fat ex vichyballin potato thieving stoaway.[/quote:1gysl9ow]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6679.png

Quote: Tigerade "Oh dear, and we wonder why fans of teams with aspirations to join SL like Fev, Fax and Leigh get so upset when we talk about pathways to the elite league.'"

I believe Fax and Leigh were both visitors to Superleague at some stage....2,977 was the Halifax average in their last SL season, 4,736 at Leigh. I believe that last year was the first time london's crowd dropped below that Halifax figure.......

Don't get me wrong, London will drop out either this or next year and deservedly so and I hope that a heartland team gets the chance to step up, but in reality, the demise of the only English team outside the heartlands will do nothing other than further marginalise the sport and underline the opinion of the southern bias media....that it's northern thing. A couple of years reporting that and let's see how much SKY are willing to fork out for the next TV deal....because it's only SKY reporting that they get viewers in the south that keeps the advertisers happy....god help Rupert if ad agencies actually looked into these farcical claims.......according to the RFL, 22,000 tickets to the Wembley double header were sold to Londoners......again, I doubt the sincerity and validity of that claim too.

London have done incredibly well to survive as long as they have.....the real shame is if the grass roots work is not supported by the RFL when the Broncos go, because regardless of the musings of some of the flat earth brigade up north, the game is more popular in London now than it has ever been.

RankPostsTeam
International Star5123
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
60524_1510403940.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_60524.jpg

Someone came up with a good idea (I think it was on the Wakey board) - why not try and get 4 or 5 clubs in similar stature to Scholars playing in NL1 and NL2 in the capital area. Surely this would stimulate attendances and maybe a few years down the line a new combined franchise for London could be looked at ? I honestly cannot see LB in SL next season let alone 2015.

RankPostsTeam
International Star15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50722_1319672516.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50722.jpg

Quote: Tigerade "Someone came up with a good idea (I think it was on the Wakey board) - why not try and get 4 or 5 clubs in similar stature to Scholars playing in NL1 and NL2 in the capital area. Surely this would stimulate attendances and maybe a few years down the line a new combined franchise for London could be looked at ? I honestly cannot see LB in SL next season let alone 2015.'"

That was me - in addition though, I also said that the governing body should part-fund these ventures and in turn, have some oversight of how that money is used in terms of youth development and supporter engagement. There is no doubt that there has been success in terms of the development of grassroots RL in London and SE - the way to capitalise on that though, is not to hothouse a nomadic SL team.

The market is huge - RL only needs to grab a tiny % of it to become a viable proposition.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach12169No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10696_1330181301.jpg
london RL: scraping the barrel:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10696.jpg

As a London fan I can confidently say that no-one is more embarrassed about that result and performance than we are.

I can only really echo what others have said. The management of the club are squarely to blame for fostering a culture where incompetence has been richly rewarded and radical thinking is discouraged. Don't rock the boat, don't plan for tomorrow. As usual, we get to the back end of a super league campaign having no idea where we're going to play (if we are to play) next year.

It's no wonder this negative, disorganised attitude leaks onto the playing front. I think generally, our youth setup is improving all the time, and we're much more competetive at academy level than we were say five years ago. But it worries me that the players that do make it through to professional contracts still struggle with the basics. That's a coaching problem as much as anything else and when you step back, you realise that we haven't had a competent coaching setup since the early days of the McDermott regime.

I have to be honest and say that if the club is still around in two years, we don't merit an SL license and a spell in the Championship is probably all we deserve. It's very difficult to see how we as a professional entity carry on when so many fans have been alienated and the wider profile of the club is as bad as it's ever been.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2370No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Nov 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16679.jpg
Well f**k my hat, I didn't know that! Come all without, come all within, we're London Broncos not the H********s!:16679.jpg

Quote: The Penguin "As a London fan I can confidently say that no-one is more embarrassed about that result and performance than we are.

I can only really echo what others have said. The management of the club are squarely to blame for fostering a culture where incompetence has been richly rewarded and radical thinking is discouraged. Don't rock the boat, don't plan for tomorrow. As usual, we get to the back end of a super league campaign having no idea where we're going to play (if we are to play) next year.

It's no wonder this negative, disorganised attitude leaks onto the playing front. I think generally, our youth setup is improving all the time, and we're much more competetive at academy level than we were say five years ago. But it worries me that the players that do make it through to professional contracts still struggle with the basics. That's a coaching problem as much as anything else and when you step back, you realise that we haven't had a competent coaching setup since the early days of the McDermott regime.

I have to be honest and say that if the club is still around in two years, we don't merit an SL license and a spell in the Championship is probably all we deserve. It's very difficult to see how we as a professional entity carry on when so many fans have been alienated and the wider profile of the club is as bad as it's ever been.'"

In a nutshell! eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star92No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2014Aug 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
60154_1307978719.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_60154.jpg

Quote: The Penguin "As a London fan I can confidently say that no-one is more embarrassed '"

I always wondered who the London fan was.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2370No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Nov 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16679.jpg
Well f**k my hat, I didn't know that! Come all without, come all within, we're London Broncos not the H********s!:16679.jpg

Quote: Violent Badger "I always wondered who the London fan was.'"

Oi cheeky! Down with that sort of thing! ( careful now)

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20966No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6679_1399761959.png

Quote: Violent Badger "I always wondered who the London fan was.'"

It's me today, penguin tomorrow, Rob from Erith on Thursday, paddock punter has the club at weekends and Listy babysits on Mondays.

Hope that' stopped the wondering icon_biggrin.gif

55 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
55 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.2421875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Shareholders Meeting
Scarlet Pimp
Recent
Bulls Accounts up to Nov 2023
Blotto
FORUM