FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > Could Toronto, London and Toulouse all get promoted?
613 posts in 42 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
International Star6904
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201510 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73643_1666630451.jpeg
[img:v6cgff03]http://s26.postimg.org/9xie34xyh/leigh1.png[/img:v6cgff03]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_73643.jpeg

Quote: Ste100Centurions "Not the point I was making or responding to though Atomic !

The clips linked by another member show the most advantageous angle from the TW Club perspective, as if to show they are not lying about attendances, TW as a Club will be aware they are being accused of lying about attendances on social media & are trying to firefight .....

This is little more than TW propaganda !

The fact remains that in the clip of Bussey's sly swinging arm into the face of an unaware opponent the clip shows a large-ish section of empty space. The pro expansionists will always try to find a way to defend there agenda.

Also FWIW, North Americans/Canadians are very much used to travelling distances far greater than 25m to a game, you don't think that the Boston Red Sox, LA Lakers, Chicago Bulls or New York Jets all live on the doorstep do you ?
North America/Canada has a very different culture.

*TW fans should be applauded for taking less than 3k to their Home game 25m from downtown Toronto* but TW as a Club should not be applauded for the surreptitious way it goes about it's business.'"

The damage done to the TWP Club this season with the Lamport farce will be measured on their return to it. I'm not sure what the agenda is regarding attendance of this match, but I'm pretty sure that shouldn't be taken into account given they are on playing field 25m from home.

Also all the places you state don't carry RL clubs,so I take the less than 3k as being hard core fans who enjoy RL,and good on them.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif
:simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: atomic "The damage done to the TWP Club this season with the Lamport farce will be measured on their return to it. I'm not sure what the agenda is regarding attendance of this match, but I'm pretty sure that shouldn't be taken into account given they are on playing field 25m from home.

Also all the places you state don't carry RL clubs,so I take the less than 3k as being hard core fans who enjoy RL,and good on them.'"

Even with their ground problems, "over inflated" attendance figures and not playing a game at home until 2 months into the season, oh yes and no away fans, they will still top the attendance figures for the Championship.
I still have grave doubts about the viability of a Canadian side in "our" league but, they probably deserve a shot, just to see if there really is any potential.
Having said that, their toughest test will be getting through the middle 8's and all this moaning may be for nothing, as we may start next season with the same 12 clubs in Super League as this year.

As Leigh fans, would you rather nobody was promoted from the Championship or, would you rather swap Toronto for say, Widnes or Salfoird

RankPostsTeam
International Star6904
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201510 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73643_1666630451.jpeg
[img:v6cgff03]http://s26.postimg.org/9xie34xyh/leigh1.png[/img:v6cgff03]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_73643.jpeg

Quote: wrencat1873 "Even with their ground problems, "over inflated" attendance figures and not playing a game at home until 2 months into the season, oh yes and no away fans, they will still top the attendance figures for the Championship.
I still have grave doubts about the viability of a Canadian side in "our" league but, they probably deserve a shot, just to see if there really is any potential.
Having said that, their toughest test will be getting through the middle 8's and all this moaning may be for nothing, as we may start next season with the same 12 clubs in Super League as this year.

As Leigh fans, would you rather nobody was promoted from the Championship or, would you rather swap Toronto for say, Widnes or Salfoird'"

As with Sky our sport fills a spot in the off seasons of other sports. The same can be said about Toronto,so yes the attendances with 11/12 games on the bounce at home should soar given theres not much else going on.

As with all sports, deserving a shot is whats done on the park, not in the stands. TV/media don't care about whats in the stands.Sponsor's don't care about whats in the stands,it's the camera angle they look at.

The middle 8's is all very reliant on how the fixtures fall. Not sure how Toronto will be accommodated in that aspect.

As for your last point, as I've already stated, Toronto are guests at present and no right to replace any Club in SL unless they can prove that on the park.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: atomic "As with Sky our sport fills a spot in the off seasons of other sports. The same can be said about Toronto,so yes the attendances with 11/12 games on the bounce at home should soar given theres not much else going on.

As with all sports, deserving a shot is whats done on the park, not in the stands. TV/media don't care about whats in the stands.Sponsor's don't care about whats in the stands,it's the camera angle they look at.

The middle 8's is all very reliant on how the fixtures fall. Not sure how Toronto will be accommodated in that aspect.

As for your last point, as I've already stated, Toronto are guests at present and no right to replace any Club in SL unless they can prove that on the park.'"

Deserving a shot ??

After starting at the bottom of the third tier to appease the less forward thinking fans, they gaind promotion and are currently sitting on to p of the Championship.
Many Leigh fans thought this was enough for them to "deserve a shot"

Your half right about TV, they just want to pay as little as they reasonably can to allow them to fill the breaks with advertising, which is why we now have games on 4 different days of the week, sometimes 5.

I've said before that I personally dont think that N American clubs are viable in SL, purely due to the logistics and cost and whether they will bring additional revenue into the game, rather than push up costs for both clubs and supporters but, you guys (Leigh fans) are desperate for them to fail, which may help Leigh have another go in SL.

It's not all about Leigh, thank god.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4091No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2022Nov 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: wrencat1873 "
their toughest test will be getting through the middle 8's and all this moaning may be for nothing, as we may start next season with the same 12 clubs in Super League as this year.

As Leigh fans, would you rather nobody was promoted from the Championship or, would you rather swap Toronto for say, Widnes or Salford'"

Has it been confirmed 2019 will be 12 clubs? There was lots of talk about expanding to 14 or even reducing to 10 clubs pre season, with nothing confirmed as far as I know.

I think the vast majority of Leigh fans are desperate to see Toronto fail.

RankPostsTeam
International Star21605
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
62021_1514912988.png
[img:12j4q57k]https://i.imgur.com/ayH2ksC.jpg[/img:12j4q57k]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_62021.png

Quote: Sir Kevin Sinfield "Has it been confirmed 2019 will be 12 clubs? There was lots of talk about expanding to 14 or even reducing to 10 clubs pre season, with nothing confirmed as far as I know.

I think the vast majority of Leigh fans are desperate to see Toronto fail.'"

ALL Leigh fans are only concerned about one thing, promotion. It's only the idiots on here who are thinking otherwise.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: Sir Kevin Sinfield "Has it been confirmed 2019 will be 12 clubs? There was lots of talk about expanding to 14 or even reducing to 10 clubs pre season, with nothing confirmed as far as I know.

I think the vast majority of Leigh fans are desperate to see Toronto fail.'"

Nothing has been confirmed yet regarding any changes to the league structure.
However, there are rumors about Toronto running out of cash and I'm sure that "everyone" is waiting to see how Toronto (and Toulouse) get on this season.
Let's face it, any change will only be made to accommodate one or either of them and if they cant compete and / or gain promotion under the current system, IMO there wont be any change.

For me, they ought to put them both in SL and increase the comp to 14 clubs and exempt them both from relegation for 2or3 seasons and then we will all have a better idea of the practicalities and advantages/disadvantages of having such a diverse top flight.

It's still possible that Toronto wont last the distance but, the longer the are outside the top flight, the more likely they are to fail.

Of course, this "expansion" of the league should be coupled with a renegotiation of the TV contract and again, we will all see whether all the hype about them "bringing more revenue into the game" was real or, just wishful thinking.
Personally, I think the latter and that the whole issue has been somewhat over egged to suit someone's (Big Nige) personal agenda.

The middle 8's will test the practicalities of play off rugby across 3 nations and we'll see just how excited the Sky boys really are.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain383No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Hull KR the pride of East Hull.:

Quote: wrencat1873 "Deserving a shot ??

After starting at the bottom of the third tier to appease the less forward thinking fans, they gaind promotion and are currently sitting on to p of the Championship.
Many Leigh fans thought this was enough for them to "deserve a shot"

Your half right about TV, they just want to pay as little as they reasonably can to allow them to fill the breaks with advertising, which is why we now have games on 4 different days of the week, sometimes 5.

I've said before that I personally dont think that N American clubs are viable in SL, purely due to the logistics and cost and whether they will bring additional revenue into the game, rather than push up costs for both clubs and supporters but, you guys (Leigh fans) are desperate for them to fail, which may help Leigh have another go in SL.

It's not all about Leigh, thank god.'"

They didn't grind there way through league 1 though did they. They got the salary cap uped, bought a side good enough for the championship, we're full time when the rest of the league are pt. Then had fixture in the 8 (3 away, then 4 home), that suited them down to the ground.
That's not disparaging them, but all they did last year was what was the least expected of them.
This year they have been doing well, but you could argue that again the fixture list was made to suit them (whoelse do you think could get away with having all there away fixtures 1st, followed by all there home games?). With there cap dispensation (which has never been mentioned by how much? ). You could again argue that they're doing what was expected. It would be interesting if they get promoted and did this next year, Wether SL fans would still be happy about it?.

As I put in an early post, the biggest problem is have personally is if they ever get a North American league going, and there a few teams in our league. What happens then? To both them and if they leave our league?

My own personal choice would be a 8/10 club American league, with clubs just below to expand it. As to fugly promote RL we need more than just 3 countries with leagues in it. But I doubt this will happen.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: luke ShipleyRed "They didn't grind there way through league 1 though did they. They got the salary cap uped, bought a side good enough for the championship, we're full time when the rest of the league are pt. Then had fixture in the 8 (3 away, then 4 home), that suited them down to the ground.
That's not disparaging them, but all they did last year was what was the least expected of them.
This year they have been doing well, but you could argue that again the fixture list was made to suit them (whoelse do you think could get away with having all there away fixtures 1st, followed by all there home games?). With there cap dispensation (which has never been mentioned by how much? ). You could again argue that they're doing what was expected. It would be interesting if they get promoted and did this next year, Wether SL fans would still be happy about it?.

As I put in an early post, the biggest problem is have personally is if they ever get a North American league going, and there a few teams in our league. What happens then? To both them and if they leave our league?

My own personal choice would be a 8/10 club American league, with clubs just below to expand it. As to fugly promote RL we need more than just 3 countries with leagues in it. But I doubt this will happen.'"

A full blown N American professional league is light years away, so no need to worry about it and talk of an 8/10 team comp is just fantasy land stuff.

I guess we are going with the N. American version of Catalan, which has been a success.
Maybe SL at could accommodate a second N. American club at some point but, any more than 2 would require a major re think on what "we" want from the sport and it could potentially kill off a couple of existing UK clubs, which would be massively counter productive.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain383No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: wrencat1873 "A full blown N American professional league is light years away, so no need to worry about it and talk of an 8/10 team comp is just fantasy land stuff.

I guess we are going with the N. American version of Catalan, which has been a success.
Maybe SL at could accommodate a second N. American club at some point but, any more than 2 would require a major re think on what "we" want from the sport and it could potentially kill off a couple of existing UK clubs, which would be massively counter productive.'"

Agree completely that a north American league is light years away if at all. As I really don't think there is as much of an appetite for RL over there as some think. With the amount of sports already over there professionally and college/high school wise, they're already spoiled for choice. Given that RU has for the last 5 years been trying over there , and made little to no impact. It's a fairly arrogant view that all RL has to do is turn up and they'll be falling over themselves for us (not your view I know, just some on here's view).

To be fair, I think the next shaping of the league could do more to kill off some clubs than American teams. If anything this one could be the biggest since 96 (when SL started). And if we get it wrong I really fear for the future of the sport.

j.c
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6858
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Nov 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

22/03/2013 Get LEIGH outta wigan:

Quote: Salford red all over "Go on then what is it Leeds "maybe" have that the rest don't ?'"

Theyve got two other cities that are nothing more than suburbs

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1999
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
35006_1638866888.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_35006.jpg

Why should SL clubs get a fair playing field if Toronto do get promoted given what we've seen so far? If we have some consistency throughout their rise through the leagues, then they shouldn't be given any Sky funding in SL, but equally they shouldn't be hindered by anything as silly as a salary cap. That way they can buy in NRL standard players throughout the squad and blast their way to an unbeaten run topping the league and winning both the Grand Final and Challenge Cup. Good for the game in the UK? I think not.

Stupid? It won't happen? No it won't, but why should they be granted such an advantage in League 1 and the Championship and not have to adhere to the same operational rules as their adversaries?

Btw, of course Leigh, Halifax and others in the Championship would like them to fail (on the field), as that gives their own team a better chance of success.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3356
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons1949_files/4193-180guyguyme2003-msnicons.gif
The fans, the members, the people there.. from the day I stepped foot onto that field at the AJ Bell Stadium,I knew I would love that club for the rest of my life. "Jackson Hastings".. Worry a little bit every day and in a lifetime you will lose a couple of years. If something is wrong, fix it if you can. But train yourself not to worry. Worry never fixes anything. Mary Hemmingway, US journalist,widow of Ernest Hemmingway (1908-1986) The Stupid Neither Forgive Nor Forget The Naive Forgive And Forget The Wise Forgive But Don't Forget "I am not young enough to know everything" Oscar Wilde Irish Playwright (1854-1900) One likes people much better when they're battered down by a prodigious siege of misfortune than when they triumph. virginia woolf (1882-1941):icons1949_files/4193-180guyguyme2003-msnicons.gif

Quote: wrencat1873 "Big city status maybe ? (Hull fall into the same category though)
Apart from those 2 (and Wakefield), all of the other clubs are towns or pit villages

funny that coming from a place that houses the National Coal Mining Museum. d040.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach5876No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13517.jpg
:13517.jpg

Quote: HXSparky "Why should SL clubs get a fair playing field if Toronto do get promoted given what we've seen so far? If we have some consistency throughout their rise through the leagues, then they shouldn't be given any Sky funding in SL, but equally they shouldn't be hindered by anything as silly as a salary cap. That way they can buy in NRL standard players throughout the squad and blast their way to an unbeaten run topping the league and winning both the Grand Final and Challenge Cup. Good for the game in the UK? I think not.

Stupid? It won't happen? No it won't, but why should they be granted such an advantage in League 1 and the Championship and not have to adhere to the same operational rules as their adversaries?

Btw, of course Leigh, Halifax and others in the Championship would like them to fail (on the field), as that gives their own team a better chance of success.'"

What advantage have they been given so far exactly?
They are operating under the same cap as Fax and every other champ club right now.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain383No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Nothus "What advantage have they been given so far exactly?
They are operating under the same cap as Fax and every other champ club right now.'"

No they not. They have cap discrepancie so they can go over. No one has ever actually said how much more, but it's there.

613 posts in 42 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
613 posts in 42 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.01708984375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
IMG scores
Oddshapeball
6m
Planning for next season
LeytherRob
47m