FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > Shock on the cards?
69 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
P-J
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1830No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5845-54zedonite-msnicons.jpg
:icons077e_files/5845-54zedonite-msnicons.jpg

Quote: The Avenger "Suspected Broken Jaw
Broken Nose
Teeth knocked out

but hey, he'd already knocked on so its OK'"

If he catches the ball cleanly, that tackle wraps him up quite nicely.

As he knocked on, he drops his head trying to gather the ball. The tackler has a split second to pull out - sadly he's not super human so is unable to do so.

An unfortunate accident. No card necessary.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg
kcab sfrawdder Luck is a combination of preparation and opportunity Just to avoid confusion Starbug is the username of Steven Pike SOMEBODY SAID that it couldn’t be done But he with a chuckle replied That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried. So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin On his face. If he worried he hid it. He started to sing as he tackled the thing That couldn’t be done, and he did it!:9005.jpg

Quote: The Avenger "and when they do the culprit should be punished, be that by a penalty, Red Card or being cited and banned after the fact.

Contact with the head is illegal, the burden of care lays with the defender and the attacking player falling, bending, stooping or any other 'ing' is only a mitigating factor.'"

YES, AND THE VIDEO TEAM OBVIOUSLY CONCLUDED THAT RUSSELS BODY POSITION WAS A MITIGATING FACTOR

DERRR

no point carrying on this little discussion, I'l let you have the final word

RankPostsTeam
International Star5054
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201411 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
72289_1398805144.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_72289.jpg

Quote: Starbug "YES, AND THE VIDEO TEAM OBVIOUSLY CONCLUDED THAT RUSSELS BODY POSITION WAS A MITIGATING FACTOR

DERRR

no point carrying on this little discussion, I'l let you have the final word'"

Thanks, I'll have it then.

It mitigates the punishment it doesn't remove it!

No need to be condescending about it, can't you just have a sensible discussion without resorting to little schoolgirl behaviour

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12389.gif
:12389.gif

Quote: The Avenger "You need to go away, read and learn the rules, when two incidents occur it is the more serious one which takes precedence. While it's plain to see that Russell has lost the ball forward there is heavy contact by MLs shoulder to MRs jaw and cheekbone. Therefore it's a penalty for contact to the head, what's so hard to understand?

Don't give me that MR was falling, stooping because that is only a mitigating factor, it's the tacklers responsibility to avoid contact above the shoulder.

No intent on behalf of ML, but the correct decision was a penalty.'"

Strange then, that no official saw fit to call foul play. The referee didn't see it that way, he called the linesman on who agreed, and the video ref reviewed it and saw similar. Cummings agreed.

Lieuluai did nothing wrong. He even went low himself, nothing wrong with his technique. However, the fact Russell had knocked-on and was lunging forward for the ball meant neither player was able to time the collision correctly. You even see Lieuluai realise, as Russell moves forward reaching for the ball, that the collision is coming too quickly and he turns his head just prior to impact. Regardless, no intent, no foul play.

There isn't always blame, and just because there's been a nasty collision and injury doesn't necessarily mean the tackler was reckless or negligent in their duty of care. Sometimes it's nothing more than a consequence of big, powerful men trying to flatten one another at high speed.

Yes, contact to the head - clearly, I think we all saw that - but for me Russell lunging forward in is the main reason for the clumsy collision. The officials clearly agreed. Nothing to penalise, pure accident, knock-on is the call.

RankPostsTeam
International Star5054
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201411 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
72289_1398805144.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_72289.jpg

Quote: Cronus "Strange then, that no official saw fit to call foul play. The referee didn't see it that way, he called the linesman on who agreed, and the video ref reviewed it and saw similar. Cummings agreed.

Lieuluai did nothing wrong. He even went low himself, nothing wrong with his technique. However, the fact Russell had knocked-on and was lunging forward for the ball meant neither player was able to time the collision correctly. You even see Lieuluai realise, as Russell moves forward reaching for the ball, that the collision is coming too quickly and he turns his head just prior to impact. Regardless, no intent, no foul play.

There isn't always blame, and just because there's been a nasty collision and injury doesn't necessarily mean the tackler was reckless or negligent in their duty of care. Sometimes it's nothing more than a consequence of big, powerful men trying to flatten one another at high speed.

Yes, contact to the head - clearly, I think we all saw that - but for me Russell lunging forward in is the main reason for the clumsy collision. The officials clearly agreed. Nothing to penalise, pure accident, knock-on is the call.'"

Nothing wrong with your argument but we see it differently, despite the match officials not penalising it the coming days will tell us whether Lieuluai has a case to answer or not.

For what it's worth, and I've stated this a few times already, I don't think that Lieuluai had any intent to commit a foul.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12389.gif
:12389.gif

Quote: The Avenger "Nothing wrong with your argument but we see it differently, despite the match officials not penalising it the coming days will tell us whether Lieuluai has a case to answer or not.

For what it's worth, and I've stated this a few times already, I don't think that Lieuluai had any intent to commit a foul.'"

Despite what I've said I would be amazed if the RFL took no action. I expect they'll warn him over his technique, or possibly a token punishment for the fact the impact was to the head. Even though I don't think Lieuluai did anything wrong, it was still a bad collision and they'll probably conclude he could have done more to avoid it.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3368No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2015Jan 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
60495_1398780661.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_60495.jpg

well at least his injuries aren't as bad as first thought.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7504No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2017Aug 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Did you get rid of all the voices in your head? Do you now miss them and the things that they said?:

Quote: Starbug "I have seen players sustain exactly those injuries making a tackle, does that mean they have been fouled?'"

You really are special aren't you?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach101
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024May 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Cronus "Strange then, that no official saw fit to call foul play. The referee didn't see it that way, he called the linesman on who agreed, and the video ref reviewed it and saw similar. Cummings agreed.

Yes, contact to the head - clearly, I think we all saw that.... The officials clearly agreed. Nothing to penalise, pure accident, knock-on is the call.'"

See this is the issue, the ref's mic clearly picked up him saying "shoulder to shoulder, no contact to the head, it's a knock on". Well you only need to view it once to realise that there definitely was contact to the head, and that can be further proved by the injuries sustained.

Regardless of whether the head was directly attacked (it was) any tackle that results in a player knocked out cold before he hits the floor, and needing a stretcher with a neck brace and an oxygen mask cannot be legal in this game. I hate the current shoulder charge rule as much as the next man, and I certainly don't want us to lose the last bit of biff in the game, but that incident was a straight red any day of the week - especially after 2 similar incidents have resulted in straight reds in the past few weeks

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach4094
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Darlings of Super League:

I agree with Wigan fans: Russell should get a short ban and letter about his technique for the temerity of keeping his eyes on the ball while an innocent opponent is trying to him.

RankPostsTeam
International Star322No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2014Sep 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Roy Haggerty "Most tackles involve attempting to hit the opposing player at high speed. That's what rugby league players do. That distinction is false.

I absolutely understand Warrington fans feeling aggrieved at what's happened to Russell, who would have been a key player in their push on Old Trafford, but let's not try to create a drama where there is none. It was tackle which connected with the head carelessly, not a deliberate attack to the head. I'll be honest, until I saw the replay from the angle Carney and Wells showed after the game, I thought Thaler got it spot on, as it was very difficult to see any direct head contact from the angles shown, and at full speed. I thought the knock-out was due to his head hitting the floor after the impact. But clearly, direct impact on the head did take place. He'll get charged with a careless high tackle, of the sort which does take place in every game, but which - thankfully - doesn't usually have such awful consequences.

Let's put the pitchforks away. RL is a high-speed collision sport, and occasionally those collisions go wrong. It doesn't mean the players are actively trying to seriously injure each other every time someone gets hurt.'"

Russell wasn't in possession when he got smashed. There was direct contact with the head. If Moon & Walmsley a send off, so was that. And so was Flynn.

If you look at the hit Webster took when I think it was Soliola caught him full in the face with his shoulder. Under the contact to the head rules, that was also a send off.

The inconsistency in the use of video refs is concerning. Both the Moon & Walmsley send offs were looked at several times by the VR, but Thaler chose not to.

There's also the issue of what should have been a try to Widnes following the hit on Russell. The decision was knock on against warrington. That meant it was free play to Widnes & they appeared to score off it. A fundamental error from the officials not to check this.

Ganson & Child awarding the Flynn try was so utterly shocking an error, you have to seriously question the competence & integrity of these people.

I find Cummings interjections in commentary to be laughable most of the time. Makes the game look stupid & reveals just what a pathetic agenda he had in place when in charge of the match officials department.

RankPostsTeam
International Star322No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2014Sep 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Yes, contact to the head - clearly, I think we all saw that - but for me Russell lunging forward in is the main reason for the clumsy collision. The officials clearly agreed. Nothing to penalise, pure accident, knock-on is the call.'"

The VR was not asked to review it by Thaler. Leuluai had a responsibility to make sure he did not smash a player not in possession of the ball. He should have gone for the ball, not the man who didn't have it.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1072
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022Jan 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: LeagueDweeb "The VR was not asked to review it by Thaler. Leuluai had a responsibility to make sure he did not smash a player not in possession of the ball. He should have gone for the ball, not the man who didn't have it.'"

Having spoken to the touch judge and got his opinion Thaler was heard speaking to the VR through his mouthpiece to get his opinion and then commenting on the VR's opinion of the incident afterwards (repeating back what the VR had said to him to confirm the opinion) before he announced his decision on action to be taken to the players. It didn't show replays on the big screen but he did get the VR to look at the incident and ask for his verdict.

RankPostsTeam
International Star322No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2014Sep 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: wiganermike "Having spoken to the touch judge and got his opinion Thaler was heard speaking to the VR through his mouthpiece to get his opinion and then commenting on the VR's opinion of the incident afterwards (repeating back what the VR had said to him to confirm the opinion) before he announced his decision on action to be taken to the players. It didn't show replays on the big screen but he did get the VR to look at the incident and ask for his verdict.'"

I don't agree at all that this is what happened. The VR's didn't review the footage & offer an opinion.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7195No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Dec 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[url:33s610on]https://twitter.com/#!/Robbo_Wigan[/url:33s610on]:

The whole Russell didn't have possession of the ball argument is a bit of a silly one. It's nothing like the Walmsley one, it wasn't a late shot. In slow motion it will look bad but at full speed, had Russell caught that ball it would have been a brilliant tackle. Unfortunately Russell knocked on and there was no way in hell Leuluai had time to pull out of that. Of course I'm not blaming Russell before the Anti Wigan brigade jump down my throat. I hope Russell has a speedy recovery but there was absolutely no intent in that at all. I think it's more of an unfortunate accident than anything else.

69 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
69 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.08740234375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Film game
karetaker
8m
Recruitment rumours and links
karetaker
18m
Fev H Play Off
Bully_Boxer
24m
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Grand Final Place
Vancouver Le
25m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Emagdnim13
35m
Tonights match v HKR
karetaker
41m
Questions for Ste Mills
Little willy
46m
Realistic targets for 2025
giddyupoldfe
52m
Shopping list for 2025
al283
Recent
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Tonights match v HKR
karetaker
30s
Fev H Play Off
Bully_Boxer
34s
Refs referring it to video as a try or not
Barstool Pre
48s
Recruitment rumours and links
karetaker
48s
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
rubber ducki
57s
Shopping list for 2025
al283
59s
Play-off semi-final
Scarlet Pimp
1m
Wigan win academy final
Simba16
1m
Betting 2024
karetaker
2m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
York Valkyrie Win Back to Back Grand Finals
RLFANS News
TODAY
NRL
Deadcowboys1
TODAY
Penrith Panthers Secure Fourth Consecutive Title
RLFANS News
TODAY
Seeking favourite images from grounds - past or present
retrosports
TODAY
Grand final Tickets
moto748
TODAY
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Grand Final Place
RoyBoy29
TODAY
Refs referring it to video as a try or not
Barstool Pre
TODAY
Questions for Ste Mills
Little willy
TODAY
Decision on the field
MR FRISK
TODAY
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
rubber ducki
TODAY
Worst semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
2025 TRANSFER AND RETENTION RUMOURS
Tony Fax
TODAY
Sam Burgess
fez1
TODAY
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fightback To Secure Grand Final Spot
RLFANS News
TODAY
Squad 2025
Nat (Rugby_A
TODAY
Tonights match v HKR
karetaker
TODAY
Isa 1 year extension
Trainman
TODAY
2024 IMG gradings
Deadcowboys1
TODAY
Championship Awards
FIL
TODAY
Season tickets
faxcar
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
York Valkyrie Win Back to Back..
Hunslet Book Relegation Play O..
Penrith Panthers Secure Fourth..
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Gran..
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fig..
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.64M 3,682 ↑51780,13314,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
 FT
Hover 
Melbourne
6-14
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
 FT 
Keighley
6-20
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
 FT 
Bradford
25-12
Featherstone
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
 FT 
York V
18-8
St.HelensW
 Sat 12th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R30
18:00
Hull KR
v
Wigan
 Sun 13th Oct
       Championship 2024-R30
15:00
Swinton
v
Hunslet
Wakefield
v
York
17:00
Toulouse
v
Bradford
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley6-20Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V18-8St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne6-14Penrith
Sat 12th Oct
SL
18:00
Hull KR-Wigan
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 6th Oct
L1
LIVE
Keighley6-20Hunslet
CH
LIVE
Bradford25-12Featherstone
WSL2024
LIVE
York V18-8St.HelensW
NRL
LIVE
Melbourne6-14Penrith
Sat 5th Oct
CH 29 York27-10Widnes
SL 29 Wigan38-0Leigh
Fri 4th Oct
SL 29 Hull KR10-8Warrington
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
St.Helens 9 209 70 139 14
Wigan 9 262 124 138 14
Catalans 8 208 92 116 14
Warrington 9 242 129 113 12
Hull KR 8 188 119 69 10
Huddersfield 9 218 163 55 10

Salford 8 163 158 5 10
Leeds 8 140 152 -12 8
Leigh 8 136 170 -34 2
Castleford 8 112 264 -152 2
Hull FC 8 86 310 -224 2
LondonB 8 74 308 -234 0
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Bradford 27 703 399 304 36
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
York 28 682 479 203 32
Widnes 27 561 502 59 29
Featherstone 27 634 525 109 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22