FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > Could Toronto, London and Toulouse all get promoted?
613 posts in 42 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
International Star1975
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
59837_1508749784.jpg
Irony is represented below. [quote="JEAN CAPDOUZE":162hm7sy]He is not telling the truth. He is talking paranoid rubbish.[/quote:162hm7sy]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_59837.jpg

Quote: JEAN CAPDOUZE "Most English and French fans have not been to Toronto. Give them a chance to enjoy that city, especially in the spring and summer.

Why should your fortunate experience of having been to Toronto be even relevant to causing the RFL to limit the life experience opportunities available to 99% of northern hemisphere rugby league fans?'"

I typed 4 words and you still twist it.

You really are something else

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain383No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Hull KR the pride of East Hull.:

A couple do. LA has 2 MLB, Football& basketball teams. New York has 2 of every sport. And pretty much every American city has a team in at least 3 of the major sports over there (American football,Baseball,Basketball,Ice Hockey & Soccer). With a number having a team in ALL the sports.
So as you say the placement of any RL team is paramount. Because putting an alien sport in a place where there's already a full market can only lead to one thing long term, failure. Novelty might help at first, but it's not going to sustain a team.

And in my opinion the only way you get American Broadcasters/Media involved big time is if it's an American league (which as you say is along time off). They're are always going to be more interested in Philly v Denver , than Philly v Wigan. That's just the nature of Americans.

And then the issue becomes, if teams are in our league, and an American league takes off. What do they do? And if they leave what becomes of our league?

And to me this was always the big problem (as with a lot of things in RL). We went short term, without looking at the long term. Instead of looking at it, we want to be here in 10 years, so we do this then this then this to get there. We look at it as right if we do this, then that COULD POSSIBLY HAPPEN, and oh we've gone wrong and are back on our knee's. So let's change it all again and hope it works better this time.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11989
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: luke ShipleyRed "A couple do. LA has 2 MLB, Football& basketball teams. New York has 2 of every sport. And pretty much every American city has a team in at least 3 of the major sports over there (American football,Baseball,Basketball,Ice Hockey & Soccer). With a number having a team in ALL the sports.
So as you say the placement of any RL team is paramount. Because putting an alien sport in a place where there's already a full market can only lead to one thing long term, failure. Novelty might help at first, but it's not going to sustain a team.

And in my opinion the only way you get American Broadcasters/Media involved big time is if it's an American league (which as you say is along time off). They're are always going to be more interested in Philly v Denver , than Philly v Wigan. That's just the nature of Americans.

And then the issue becomes, if teams are in our league, and an American league takes off. What do they do? And if they leave what becomes of our league?

And to me this was always the big problem (as with a lot of things in RL). We went short term, without looking at the long term. Instead of looking at it, we want to be here in 10 years, so we do this then this then this to get there. We look at it as right if we do this, then that COULD POSSIBLY HAPPEN, and oh we've gone wrong and are back on our knee's. So let's change it all again and hope it works better this time.'"

Exactly the concern I have been voicing. With every respect to our top clubs, I wonder how many American fans have even heard of Wigan, St Helens, Hull, etc?

We could get caught in two ways if we have 4/5 North American teams in 'our' league:-

If that league becomes successful, our lower tiers gradually wither away. (4/5 NA teams each take say 20 of our players)
If the league is unsuccessful, what becomes of the likes of Wigan, Saints etc, when they are not wanted by the NA teams? Would there be anything left for them to come back to?

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76030_1540929970.jpg
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES????? £20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000. The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover. There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT::d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_76030.jpg

Quote: wrencat1873 "It's like he has an agenda or something ?'"

Nope. I am just a realist who doesn't subscribe to the propaganda that Toronto are the answer to all the games woes.

In year 1, Toronto did everything they said they would. The paid for away travel for visiting sides, put them up etc.....they did the rounds of PR, Social Media, got themselves a local TV deal, didn't take cash from central funding and not surprisingly walked their division with a team that cost more than the other 11 in their division combined. Well done Wolfpack.

Year 2 is where I see the issues creeping to a head. The work on Lamport has been known about for 3 years and was scheduled as early as Feb 2017.......so they knew it was coming. The fact that they didn't find any other ground for games this year until May is suspicious, to say the least. Then there was the triple departure at the start of the season and the disappearance of Perez? Then the fixture v the French, which would have actually cost them money as their sponsor doesn't fly from Toulouse, is mysteriously bunged onto Magic Weekend.......it's almost like they're being given every assistance available......don't get me wrong, Argyle and his cash are welcome, but SL and the SL graveyard are littered with well meaning multi-millionaires who haven't a clue but believe their wealth entitles them to whatever they want.
Those fawning over Toronto need to realise that Argyle will bin the SL as soon as they get their foothold in the USA.....as other have stated the USA is an insular as a country can be, so Wigan v NYC isn't what they'll Watch.....but LA v Boston is...so if the Gym teacher gets NYC into the SL inside 3 years and we have Boston and Jacksonville joining them, whilst these new teams vacuum up our talent, we make room by replacing the Salfords, Widnes's Huddersfield's......only for these new teams to take their ball and leave us high and dry.
RL has a rich history of well meaning folk cutting corners and trying to do the right thing quickly and on the cheap.......and Toronto is yet another example of this.
As for the topic of crowds. Well done them for getting 3k to the playing field at the weekend......great crowd considering they were 25 clicks from home and playing a bottom club.....but when they arrive in SL next year with no TV deal and no new sponsors, but packed with a suspiciously "cap" tastic and EU Passport holding ANZAC squad, I suspect we'll here more SL chairmen requesting Home and Away scheduling for them, whinging about Premier TV cameras showing games.....

As for Chorley Johns comments about me being anti-expansion......nothing could be farther from the truth. It's just I've seen what happens when you build from the top down.......rlhttp://www.footballsite.co.uk/Statistics/Articles/FulhamvWigan.htmrl

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76030_1540929970.jpg
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES????? £20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000. The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover. There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT::d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_76030.jpg

Quote: JEAN CAPDOUZE "If he gets his way the game will continue to decline in the northern hemisphere.'"

Quick.....someone call 007.........Chorley John reckons he's found an evil criminal mastermind.. d040.gif d040.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star6904
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201510 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73643_1666630451.jpeg
[img:v6cgff03]http://s26.postimg.org/9xie34xyh/leigh1.png[/img:v6cgff03]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_73643.jpeg

Quote: Call Me God "Nope. I am just a realist who doesn't subscribe to the propaganda that Toronto are the answer to all the games woes.

In year 1, Toronto did everything they said they would. The paid for away travel for visiting sides, put them up etc.....they did the rounds of PR, Social Media, got themselves a local TV deal, didn't take cash from central funding and not surprisingly walked their division with a team that cost more than the other 11 in their division combined. Well done Wolfpack.

Year 2 is where I see the issues creeping to a head. The work on Lamport has been known about for 3 years and was scheduled as early as Feb 2017.......so they knew it was coming. The fact that they didn't find any other ground for games this year until May is suspicious, to say the least. Then there was the triple departure at the start of the season and the disappearance of Perez? Then the fixture v the French, which would have actually cost them money as their sponsor doesn't fly from Toulouse, is mysteriously bunged onto Magic Weekend.......it's almost like they're being given every assistance available......don't get me wrong, Argyle and his cash are welcome, but SL and the SL graveyard are littered with well meaning multi-millionaires who haven't a clue but believe their wealth entitles them to whatever they want.
Those fawning over Toronto need to realise that Argyle will bin the SL as soon as they get their foothold in the USA.....as other have stated the USA is an insular as a country can be, so Wigan v NYC isn't what they'll Watch.....but LA v Boston is...so if the Gym teacher gets NYC into the SL inside 3 years and we have Boston and Jacksonville joining them, whilst these new teams vacuum up our talent, we make room by replacing the Salfords, Widnes's Huddersfield's......only for these new teams to take their ball and leave us high and dry.
RL has a rich history of well meaning folk cutting corners and trying to do the right thing quickly and on the cheap.......and Toronto is yet another example of this.
As for the topic of crowds. Well done them for getting 3k to the playing field at the weekend......great crowd considering they were 25 clicks from home and playing a bottom club.....but when they arrive in SL next year with no TV deal and no new sponsors, but packed with a suspiciously "cap" tastic and EU Passport holding ANZAC squad, I suspect we'll here more SL chairmen requesting Home and Away scheduling for them, whinging about Premier TV cameras showing games.....

As for Chorley Johns comments about me being anti-expansion......nothing could be farther from the truth. It's just I've seen what happens when you build from the top down.......rlhttp://www.footballsite.co.uk/Statistics/Articles/FulhamvWigan.htmrl'"

Again it requires what is expected from the word 'expansion'...This transatlantic lark is a completely different scenario which effects all clubs from top to bottom.

Its either discarded now or they go with it.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76030_1540929970.jpg

Quote: atomic "Again it requires what is expected from the word 'expansion'...This transatlantic lark is a completely different scenario which effects all clubs from top to bottom.

Its either discarded now or they go with it.'"

I am in no way saying discard it, but if there's an appetite for RL in North America, don't drip feed it, because that just simply won't work. Launch 4 more teams in the Championship in 2019 and see what happens.......not one now, NYC in a couple of years......Boston in 5, Jacksonville in 7.......it just won't get any traction that way.

Fulham got 12k for a visit of Leeds back in the 80's....it was exciting and new....London Broncos gt 6k season 1 in SL where the whole comp averaged only 10% more.....getting fans to a game in seasons 1 and 2 and even 3 is easy enough...it's new and exciting......but Warrington, Widnes, Salford, St Helens, Wigan....in fact all 11 English town sides with maybe the exception of Leeds will be no draw card.

I absolutely loved Perez and the bravado of 2017.......but in reality, on their own in SL Toronto will be useless to expand the game. Unless the SL stops relegation, then they run the risk of going down......a very un-american concept, so do we wrap them in bubble wrap?

Too many unanswered questions and it smacks of the game making it up as it goes along.......

RankPostsTeam
International Star6904
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201510 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73643_1666630451.jpeg
[img:v6cgff03]http://s26.postimg.org/9xie34xyh/leigh1.png[/img:v6cgff03]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_73643.jpeg

Quote: Call Me God "I am in no way saying discard it, but if there's an appetite for RL in North America, don't drip feed it, because that just simply won't work. Launch 4 more teams in the Championship in 2019 and see what happens.......not one now, NYC in a couple of years......Boston in 5, Jacksonville in 7.......it just won't get any traction that way.

Fulham got 12k for a visit of Leeds back in the 80's....it was exciting and new....London Broncos gt 6k season 1 in SL where the whole comp averaged only 10% more.....getting fans to a game in seasons 1 and 2 and even 3 is easy enough...it's new and exciting......but Warrington, Widnes, Salford, St Helens, Wigan....in fact all 11 English town sides with maybe the exception of Leeds will be no draw card.

I absolutely loved Perez and the bravado of 2017.......but in reality, on their own in SL Toronto will be useless to expand the game. Unless the SL stops relegation, then they run the risk of going down......a very un-american concept, so do we wrap them in bubble wrap?

Too many unanswered questions and it smacks of the game making it up as it goes along.......'"

No, I dont agree with wrapping them in cotton wool,but they are guests to the sport and should be treated accordingly,but not as a threat to the heritage of the sport.

If they want more than guests, then lets talk coin now. Toronto will be looking at alternatives,what are the RFL looking at present? 12 SL chairman who can't make a decision based on their own clubs, their own investments and losses. Oh they want a piece of the pie,but just realised it will take another 10 years before they get it.

So the question is. Who allowed Toronto in the league in first place? What was the vision the RFL saw by making that decision? The entry of Toronto was based on one mans vision, Perez! wheres he now?

The plan has evidently changed. Time to move on.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif
:simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: Call Me God "

Too many unanswered questions and it smacks of the game making it up as it goes along.......'"

What, Rugby League looking for a quick fix, instead of having some short, medium and long term plan, I dont believe it.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3356
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons1949_files/4193-180guyguyme2003-msnicons.gif
The fans, the members, the people there.. from the day I stepped foot onto that field at the AJ Bell Stadium,I knew I would love that club for the rest of my life. "Jackson Hastings".. Worry a little bit every day and in a lifetime you will lose a couple of years. If something is wrong, fix it if you can. But train yourself not to worry. Worry never fixes anything. Mary Hemmingway, US journalist,widow of Ernest Hemmingway (1908-1986) The Stupid Neither Forgive Nor Forget The Naive Forgive And Forget The Wise Forgive But Don't Forget "I am not young enough to know everything" Oscar Wilde Irish Playwright (1854-1900) One likes people much better when they're battered down by a prodigious siege of misfortune than when they triumph. virginia woolf (1882-1941):icons1949_files/4193-180guyguyme2003-msnicons.gif

Quote: Call Me God "......but Warrington, Widnes, Salford, St Helens, Wigan....in fact all 11 English town sides with maybe the exception of Leeds will be no draw card.'"

Go on then what is it Leeds "maybe" have that the rest don't ?

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif
:simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: Salford red all over "Go on then what is it Leeds "maybe" have that the rest don't ?'"

Big city status maybe ? (Hull fall into the same category though)
Apart from those 2 (and Wakefield), all of the other clubs are towns or pit villages icon_biggrin.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star2794
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
70807_1599340376.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_70807.jpg

RankPostsTeam
International Star6904
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201510 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73643_1666630451.jpeg

Quote: Ste100Centurions "From the angle provided by Reni & the other guy, that stand had some large gaps as evidenced in the video clip of Bussey's coward punch !'"

Which is similar to our games away attendance. Majority of Canadians didn't attend because it was an hours travel out of their way. For some it was closer. The point thats being made here is if they throw another RL club in the same province it would fail, because the sporting nature of these places is only to support 1 team in the same sport as thats all they are use to doing.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2794
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
70807_1599340376.jpg

Quote: wrencat1873 "Big city status maybe ? (Hull fall into the same category though)
Apart from those 2 (and Wakefield), all of the other clubs are towns or pit villages Salford, a city likely bigger than Hull & definitely far bigger than Wakefield.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2794
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
70807_1599340376.jpg

Quote: atomic "Which is similar to our games away attendance. Majority of Canadians didn't attend because it was an hours travel out of their way. For some it was closer. The point thats being made here is if they throw another RL club in the same province it would fail, because the sporting nature of these places is only to support 1 team in the same sport as thats all they are use to doing.'"

Not the point I was making or responding to though Atomic !

The clips linked by another member show the most advantageous angle from the TW Club perspective, as if to show they are not lying about attendances, TW as a Club will be aware they are being accused of lying about attendances on social media & are trying to firefight .....

This is little more than TW propaganda !

The fact remains that in the clip of Bussey's sly swinging arm into the face of an unaware opponent the clip shows a large-ish section of empty space. The pro expansionists will always try to find a way to defend there agenda.

Also FWIW, North Americans/Canadians are very much used to travelling distances far greater than 25m to a game, you don't think that the Boston Red Sox, LA Lakers, Chicago Bulls or New York Jets all live on the doorstep do you ?
North America/Canada has a very different culture.

*TW fans should be applauded for taking less than 3k to their Home game 25m from downtown Toronto* but TW as a Club should not be applauded for the surreptitious way it goes about it's business.

613 posts in 42 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
613 posts in 42 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.36376953125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
TV Games - Not Hull
Irregular Ho
8m
Le Cats at home - Los Alomos Custers Last Stand
ComeOnYouUll
20m