Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: Jonesy "I do not really follow football, I just listed some players that are current English squad players that are not Anglo Saxon and have roots from another country, like Hayne or Simms.
'"
I think we are getting in to very strange territory. I would hope we have moved on from Anglo-saxon Is Hargreaves in the current England squad?
I thought he was a Canadian that maybe qualified for Germany on residency but was called up by England as a player better than they could develop through their junior system? (but his Dad was from the old Dart) icon_surprised.gifops:

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach350No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023May 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
30982_1293972016.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_30982.gif

Quote: SmokeyTA "New Zealand would probably beat both squads 7/8 times out of ten.'"

Wait, are we talking about League or Union?

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Jonesy "Maybe Dico,
Widdop was a junior at a small Club, the Storm have made him what he is.
Reed was a Tradie playing as a hobby an groomed through the Broncos feeder clubs.
My point was, when as Oz pinched a player that was already of a decent standard?p
The answer is never.
Why should a player like Hayne be expected to play for Fiji?
I was born outside of Oz I could not imagine playing for any other Country than Oz regardless of where my Parents or Grandparents were from.'"

Harmichael comes to mind!!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach439No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2013Apr 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Its time for a change! We need to get rid of the idiots running the RLIF before they damage the sport beyond repair! Go the Tigers, Blues and Roos!:

Quote: Sal Paradise "Harmichael comes to mind!!'"

I assume you are talking about karmichael hunt, who emigrated to Australia with his family aged 11, took up rugby league with a local club and moved through the ranks to nrl, qld and Australia? How is that poaching?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2978
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022May 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
35345_1422576416.jpg
Don't let your love turn to hate Now we've got to keep the faith Wigan Rugby League:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_35345.jpg

Good point made about the 2 tier structure. I'm not sure if it would help or hinder the Tier 2 nations though, as their players could be seen as 'cast offs' from tier one nations.

I'd go along with it though. If say Brough, McIllorum, Chris Bridge et al don't get picked for England it would be good if they could then play for Ireland, Scotland or Wales to give those nations a boost, give those players some international game time and make the Tier 2 nation's games more appealing.

It works both ways in regards to SoO and such. Australia take their pick of all South Sea/Australasian talent, New Zealand pick those Australian/South Sea players who don't get picked for Australia and qualify for them. So it's swings and roundabouts really.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1213No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2017Jun 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39856.gif
:39856.gif

Australia picks players that are either born in Australia or have moved to the country for economic reasons and end up playing the dominant Sport in two of the big States.

Other Countries look for players that were born or live or have lived in Australia and have been developed in the NRL that have connections with their Nation so they can be selected for their Test Team.

It does not really matter in the end, I just get ed off with hypocrisy and people that live in Glass Houses.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: Jonesy "Hargreaves?
He was born in Canada yes?'"
yes.

Quote: Jonesy "My point is not every person that is from Island heritage is still Tongan, Samoan or Fijian. They are Australians.'"
Yes, some are.
Quote: Jonesy "Maybe players should be told to pick a Nation and stick with it?, several English players have been Welsh, Irish and Scottish over the years? what's Brough nowadays?'"
But they will pick the big 3 nations, regardless of what a player may feel, or what he may think his heritage makes him, or whether he feels Fijian, Tongan, Samoan, Papuan, Scottish, Irish, or Welsh, he is going to choose to play for NZ or England for the opportunity to play in the top tier internationals and Australian for the chance to play in the top tier internationals and SoO

Quote: Jonesy "The $50k is not a fact its a prediction, many have complained even recently about the level of pay for SOO.'"
Its more than $0

Quote: Jonesy "Which big players have switched to Australia in recent times to play SOO that have not been residents in Oz since they were schoolboys?

You have know idea.'"
Akuila Uate was Fijian when he lived in Fiji, his dad was Fijian when he played for Fiji, Akuila Uate was Fijian in 2008 when he played for Fiji. When SoO came calling, he for some reason became a born and bread, died in the wool, sheep shearing, tinny drinking, reincarnation of crocodile dundee apparently.

Quote: Jonesy "You quote NZ? they have won some really big finals, the only games they have won in around 20 Tests against Oz.'"
because mostly they are half d mid-season Anzac tests with a kiwi b team playing because of a lot of convenient injuries. In actual, competitive tests the Kiwis are.......competitive. If they are competitive with the best 17 players Australia can put out, they are likely better than a team with only half of the best players Australia can put out.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1213No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2017Jun 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39856.gif

I am not going through it all.
Uate came to Australia as a 16 year old youngster and moved to the NSW Central coast and represented Australian Schoolboys in 2005 as any School kid can regardless of Nationality.
He represented Fiji at the last World Cup so did Jarryd Hayne and Ashton Sims Born in Australia and around 60 other Australian born players for other World Cup teams to bolster that Tournaments smaller teams and make them competitive to a point, they knew by doing that it would not affect their chances of being selected for Australia, or NZ or England in the future.

So the Kiwis have played 20 recent Test matches against Oz and could not give a toss about 17 of them or even pick a strong squad? they had a master plan to win the games that count and plan to lose some games on the way to the finals to pounce in the big games?

I wonder why Australia bothers playing Test matches at all if that is the way the Kiwis approach Test games based on your Kiwi theory and England are a walk in the park most games.
Makes a mockery of the game at Test level if you are correct.

England have selected Kiwis, Islanders and Scottish and Welsh players in the past under exactly the same circumstances or worse, England has taken players built and developed elsewhere unlike Australia.

Two Australian born players were in the Kiwis World Cup winning Team including their Captain.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Jonesy "I am not going through it all.
Uate came to Australia as a 16 year old youngster and moved to the NSW Central coast and represented Australian Schoolboys in 2005 as any School kid can regardless of Nationality.
He represented Fiji at the last World Cup so did Jarryd Hayne and Ashton Sims Born in Australia and around 60 other Australian born players for other World Cup teams to bolster that Tournaments smaller teams and make them competitive to a point, they knew by doing that it would not affect their chances of being selected for Australia, or NZ or England in the future.'"
Im not so quick to decide, on behalf of Uate, that he only decided to represent the country of his birth and where he spend his childhood purely ‘to make them competitive’ in the world cup. Im not so quick to decide on behalf of Akuila Uate that his being a born and bread Fijian is secondary to his economic migration to Australia. You are.

For some reason you cant see that given a straight choice some of those who have chosen to play for Australia via birth or residency ahead of their nations of birth or heritage, that all things being equal, some of them may have chosen to stick with their nations of heritage or birth.

I don’t know whether Akuila Uate would have stuck with Fiji if it meant he could play SoO and in top tier internationals. But I think that is what we should be finding out.

Quote: Jonesy "So the Kiwis have played 20 recent Test matches against Oz and could not give a toss about 17 of them or even pick a strong squad? they had a master plan to win the games that count and plan to lose some games on the way to the finals to pounce in the big games?'"
Maybe the Kiwis would like to pick a strong squad, but there seems to be an awful lot of convenient injuries to Kiwi players in mid-season tests. A lot of minor surgery seems to be arranged for that time of year.
Quote: Jonesy "I wonder why Australia bothers playing Test matches at all if that is the way the Kiwis approach Test games based on your Kiwi theory and England are a walk in the park most games.
Makes a mockery of the game at Test level if you are correct.'"
THey probably wont in the near future. The Anzac test will probably be gone pretty soon.
Quote: Jonesy "England have selected Kiwis, Islanders and Scottish and Welsh players in the past under exactly the same circumstances or worse, England has taken players built and developed elsewhere unlike Australia.

Two Australian born players were in the Kiwis World Cup winning Team including their Captain.'"
And i have no problem with any of them choosing to do so. Whether they choose to play for England, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand is fine with me. It is however wrong that a player would lose so much by choosing to play for Fiji over Australia.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1213No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2017Jun 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39856.gif

Ok done Smokey.
I would have no issues if one day a player that learnt his craft in England turned around an said my parents are Australians I want to play for them. That is never going to happen though.

The NRL builds players from all nations many times through Government Grants and School Scholarships and if they play for Australia its theft of a player, if like Benji Marshall ex Oz Schoolboy its developing other Nations players I guess.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Jonesy "Ok done Smokey.
I would have no issues if one day a player that learnt his craft in England turned around an said my parents are Australians I want to play for them. That is never going to happen though.

The NRL builds players from all nations many times through Government Grants and School Scholarships and if they play for Australia its theft of a player, if like Benji Marshall ex Oz Schoolboy its developing other Nations players I guess.'"

Im not saying anything like that at all, however much you seem to be wishing I was.

Im simply saying that if a player wants to play SoO and top tier internationals he shouldn’t be forced to choose Australia/England/NZ.

If Akuila Uate wants to play for Australia fine, good luck to him. But he should do that because he wants to play for Australia not because if he chooses Fiji he misses out on Origin and top tier internationals.

94 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
94 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.1650390625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Sam Burgess
morleys_deck
0m
TV games not Wire
matt_wire
1m