FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > 10 TEAM SUPERLEAGUE?
92 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman12792
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2020Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1506.jpg
[quote:18jc6kzm]I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls[/quote:18jc6kzm] [quote:18jc6kzm]Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.[/quote:18jc6kzm] [quote="Jamie Jones-Buchanan":18jc6kzm]"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.[/quote:18jc6kzm]:1506.jpg

Quote: Cas Till I Die "Nothing to lose..... apart from clubs who produce a pathway for countless past and present gb/England internationals in a time when we don’t even have a reserve grade. Nice one
I tend to prefer to deal with the present and future rather than the past but now you mention it, of the 23 players that represented England at the last World Cup, 14 of them came from the academies of just four clubs (4 Bradford, 3 Wigan, 4 St Helens and 3 Leeds). Another two were from Australian clubs.

The only one that came from a club in the "heartland" that is the WF postcode area is Alex Walmsley from Batley.

The truth is that Julie Burgess' uterous is more of a "rugby league talent heartland" than some of our heartland clubs.

So wrencat probably isn't far off the mark, Leeds and Wigan probably will produce most of the talent - they're doing it already.

But even if you think that's still "something to lose", if the professional game continues to wither on the vine, we'll get to the point where we won't need a professional player pathway - because there won't be a professional game for them to play.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76030_1540929970.jpg
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES????? £20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000. The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover. There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT::d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_76030.jpg

As it standsSuperleague 1
Leeds
Saints
Wigan
Wakefield
Huddersfield
Castleford
Warrington
Hull FC
HKR
Widnes

Superleague 2
Salford
Catalan
London
Toronto
Toulouse
Featherstone
Leigh
Halifax
Dewsbury
Barrow

New York are still on the "back of a beermat" in terms of anything other than hot air.........but if they come into the game, then Dewsbury or Barrow will make way.

Each division play Home and Away games 3 times for a 27 week season then the top 4 play off in each with the Winners of 2 promoted. If you want a MPG (why I don't know...it got 50k viewers on SKY last year) then 2nd bottom 1 v losing grand finalist 2.....everyone plays to the same salary cap and overseas players rules. I'd actually add a rule that 4 of the match-day squad HAVE TO COME THROUGH THAT CLUBS YOUTH SYSTEM FROM U16 ONWARDS.
Forget stadium standards.......if clubs want to make money rather than lose it they will sort their own facilities out

2 million funding for SL 1, 1 million for SL2. Toronto, Leigh & London all have wealthy backers so would be able to press for a place at the top initially. No dual reg between the 2 comps, but allowed in the 3rd tier.

30 week season enabling breaks for Internationals and the Cup.......whichever TV company we partner with needs to put 1 2nd tier game on a week and 1 game on FTA.....
1 Kit supplier across all 20 sides.......this would make the deal more attractive to suppliers and more lucrative across the board for the clubs.....

Before Chorley Jean pipes up with teams in outer Mongolia, this is what we have NOW and what we can actually do.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1946No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2018Oct 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[b:3w2ur1db]Superleague Titles[/b:3w2ur1db] Warrington Wolfs - 0 Wakefield Trinity - 0 Leigh Centurions - 0 [quote="Budgiezilla":3w2ur1db]Surely it can only be a player from Catalans. Probably the best RL side I have ever witnessed in this season's comp.[/quote:3w2ur1db]:

Change Wakefield and hudds for Toronto and Catalans and I would agree with that

Regards

King James

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain383No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Hull KR the pride of East Hull.:

In my opinion, the reason the game is stagnating is because we don't have a proper international calender. So are viewed by the masses as a small club game, played in a certain parts of the country. So there is no need for the media to spend money on covering the game. Thus denying us a potential new audience, marketing and investment. And why are bigger companies going to invest when there very little coverage to promote there companies. And by decreasing the league, we're reducing not only people getting involved and wanting more. But potential audiences as well.

The fact that we're looking for other countries to plough money in, rather than trying to improve things in this country seems a risk strategy to me. I'm not against it in principle, and in an ideal world we should be looking at both improving it over hear, with the American money being an added bonus. But what we seem to be doing is giving up on it over hear. And putting all our eggs in one basket. And if this dosn't work, what then?

Let's not hide behind this is to get more money in for the good of the game. It's not, it's so the bigger clubs can get more money in for themselves.
This whole idea is not for the good of the game, or to improve it. It's just simply a money grab.

And what happens when more clubs come in. Newcastle, Coventry (well Wasps anyway), Dublin all wanted to be a part of franchise SL. Not to mention the other proposed American/Canadian clubs. Which league are we starting them in then?

Should we welcome expansion? Yes. Should we use it to promote our sport? completely. Can it benefit our sport? Of course. Should we rely on it? Not in the slightest.
I draw the line when it's at the detriment of existing clubs. And all about changing the goalposts to suit them. It should be one rule for every club, and moving the sport on for everyone. Not just the few.

RankPostsTeam
International Star21603
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
62021_1514912988.png
[img:12j4q57k]https://i.imgur.com/ayH2ksC.jpg[/img:12j4q57k]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_62021.png

Quote: Lebron James "Change Wakefield and hudds for Toronto and Catalans and I would agree with that

Regards

King James'"

icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif d040.gif

I see you have 10 reputation points, who gave you them, JEANIE WEANEY?.. icon_lol.gif ...BTW - JEANIE WEANEY has 10 as well, bit of a coincidence don't you think? eusa_whistle.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76030_1540929970.jpg
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES????? £20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000. The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover. There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT::d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_76030.jpg

Quote: luke ShipleyRed "In my opinion, the reason the game is stagnating is because we don't have a proper international calender.'"

1. International RL isn't International at all, but instead you have 14/16 sides where the vast majority of their squads come from the 2 Pro comps we have and either speak with a Kiwi, Aussie or Northern English accent. This will remain the norm until we get a much better foothlod in France and expand into North America.
2. NFL doesn't have a healthy International game either, but it seems to do OK. The NFL played 4 games in London last year and attracted 320,000 paying fans........what they do have is media reach and it is what we need more than anything. Toronto v London delivers interest to casual sports fans, Dewsbury v Batley doesn't!

...on the point about "at the expense of heartland/traditional clubs"....these clubs have had 100+ years and still they struggle to attract cash or more than a few hundred fans. They are now considered surplus to requirement by the SL clubs and as such, will either need to evolve or die

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain383No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Hull KR the pride of East Hull.:

A/
How do you think Cricket and RU would be fairing it it wasn't for there International calender?
In my opinion, alot of there marketing, sponsorship and media coverage. Is down to this, as well as getting alot more casual observers for these reasons.

B/
You're right about the NFL'S media reach.
But they have also had highlights on British tv for over twenty years. With the SB live for most of them. So they already had not just a presence, but had built up a support already before they tried over hear.

C/
Just after we play in Denver. USA are playing a RU international in the same city. Which of these games is already being marketed? Not ours.
Just goes to show, how far behind we are in regards to other sports over there.

D/
Youth could be right about the casual supporter and those 2 games you mentioned.
But to be honest. RL has fallen so far down the pecking order that neither would attract any casual observers.
I was at the York/Toronto game last year, which was very well marketed by both clubs. But most of the extra crowd were supporters of other clubs (it was played on the Sunday of SF weekend when other than Salford/Wigan no other SL or Championship games were on), come to see the fuss with Toronto. We don't appeal to casual observers because of our lack of media and marketing.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76030_1540929970.jpg

Quote: luke ShipleyRed "A/
How do you think Cricket and RU would be fairing it it wasn't for there International calender?
In my opinion, alot of there marketing, sponsorship and media coverage. Is down to this, as well as getting alot more casual observers for these reasons. '"

Club Union had nothing the year we started SL. The then 5 Nations was a "crown jewel" and attracted interest, but Leicester v Wasps would attract 5k at best.....the fact that Lecester now attract more than any Rugby Club has little to do with the 6 nations and more to do with how that game is run....from the top down. Same in Cricket.....they faltered and T-20 came to the rescue.....the ECB/RFU run their sports well....the RFL don't run Rugby League.....the SL chairmen do.

Quote: luke ShipleyRed "B/
You're right about the NFL'S media reach.
But they have also had highlights on British tv for over twenty years. With the SB live for most of them. So they already had not just a presence, but had built up a support already before they tried over hear. '"

So a sport from across the pond with a highlights show on C4 has marketed itself better than we have? We've had live club games on FTA for decades......

Quote: luke ShipleyRed "C/
Just after we play in Denver. USA are playing a RU international in the same city. Which of these games is already being marketed? Not ours.
Just goes to show, how far behind we are in regards to other sports over there.'"

We don't exist and wo't properly until we are a game played in colleges.....it took soccer 40+ years....

Quote: luke ShipleyRed "D/
Youth could be right about the casual supporter and those 2 games you mentioned.
But to be honest. RL has fallen so far down the pecking order that neither would attract any casual observers.'"

London v Toronto will be of interest. It may well be attended so long as David Hughes isn't still paying for things in London.....if he is then it wouldn't be marketed.

Quote: luke ShipleyRed "I was at the York/Toronto game last year, which was very well marketed by both clubs. But most of the extra crowd were supporters of other clubs (it was played on the Sunday of SF weekend when other than Salford/Wigan no other SL or Championship games were on), come to see the fuss with Toronto. We don't appeal to casual observers because of our lack of media and marketing.'"

I agree and I believe that the SL clubs should collectively drop 100k into a marketing pot each........

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6809
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2023Jan 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18302_1567366773.png
[b:1crbsr9w] Toulouse for Championship in 2017, Super League in 2021! Avignon for Championship in 2021, Super League in 2022! [/b:1crbsr9w]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_18302.png

Read the bloody article you lot!

It doesn't say that the RFL has decided on 10 x 2. It says that 10 x 2 is one possibility, but that a stronger possibility is a move to 14 SL clubs.

I favour 14 clubs if they include, Catalans, Toronto, Toulouse and London. But there must be a mechanism for admitting New York and other north American clubs as well in future years, otherwise rugby league will never grow its fan base or its players base, or its funding, and will eventually collapse from its global irrelevance.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif
:simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: JEAN CAPDOUZE "Read the bloody article you lot!

It doesn't say that the RFL has decided on 10 x 2. It says that 10 x 2 is one possibility, but that a stronger possibility is a move to 14 SL clubs.

I favour 14 clubs if they include, Catalans, Toronto, Toulouse and London. But there must be a mechanism for admitting New York and other north American clubs as well in future years, otherwise rugby league will never grow its fan base or its players base, or its funding, and will eventually collapse from its global irrelevance.'"

The clue is in the thread title, did you not see the "?"

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain979
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2022Aug 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: wrencat1873 "The clue is in the thread title, did you not see the "?"'"

You are talking about jean lol

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain837
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Why does that clown think Toulouse deserve SL. What have they done ever in the championship. Catalans are dropping faster than a prostitute drops her knickers.

And the comment on Toronto v London is attractive wait till they play each other and will see which game got the biggest attendance that or Dewsbury v Batley I can guarantee will be the local derby

If you all think Toronto will go up this year I would look at here last 2 games and think again no where near what hull kr were last season leigh again look poor. I will not be writing London off this year think they could be the team to make the step up

RankPostsTeam
International Star7194
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2019Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

einstien said insanity is when a person does the same thing over and over again but expects a different result:

Quote: hooligan27 "Why does that clown think Toulouse deserve SL. What have they done ever in the championship. Catalans are dropping faster than a prostitute drops her knickers.

And the comment on Toronto v London is attractive wait till they play each other and will see which game got the biggest attendance that or Dewsbury v Batley I can guarantee will be the local derby

If you all think Toronto will go up this year I would look at here last 2 games and think again no where near what hull kr were last season leigh again look poor. I will not be writing London off this year think they could be the team to make the step up'"

The Dewsbury v Batley match rarely pulls in a crowd of more than a 1000 these days

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain837
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

still more than tornoto v London would draw

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman12792
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2020Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1506.jpg
[quote:18jc6kzm]I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls[/quote:18jc6kzm] [quote:18jc6kzm]Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.[/quote:18jc6kzm] [quote="Jamie Jones-Buchanan":18jc6kzm]"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.[/quote:18jc6kzm]:1506.jpg

Quote: hooligan27 "still more than tornoto v London would draw'"

Given that Toronto have been getting crowds around 8 times what that Dewsbury - Batley figure, I think you're a bit off the mark.

92 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
92 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.54345703125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Salford H Moved to Thursday
Cherry_&
15m
Shareholders Meeting
Trojan Horse
22m