FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > New Super League Structure?
364 posts in 25 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member2236No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2018Dec 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp048.gif
I have only been wrong once and thats because I thought I was wrong but I was wrong I was right! Petty authoritarians aren’t man enough to challenge the actions of a person face to face; instead they incite a forum of rumour, innuendo and half truths, and impose rude sanctions to discourage those who dare question fairness. Anon.:simpsons/simp048.gif

Quote: SmokeyTA "Where has this ‘lack of competition from top to bottom’ myth come from? '"

The same place that the myth of the Championship "moaning" is influencing either the RFL or SL.

As an aside I have noticed that someone said this on the first pageAnd because of complaints that the top 8 is too easy to qualify for and not competitive enough to stretch the big clubs, that because it so easy for them to qualify it becomes a procession, we are going to split the league using the er………….Top 8.

And because of complaints that teams at the bottom of SL aren’t good enough, we are going to take the 4 worst, put them with 4 sides from a lower league and try and sell an entire league of those games.
'"

RankPostsTeam
Moderator12633
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33809_1522680904.png
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_33809.png

Quote: SmokeyTA "The problem with licensing is the snap-shot nature of it. I said right from the very beginning the 3 year time-frame was pointless and counter-productive. Why look at how that club is doing at one point in one year and then again at another point in three years time? An awful lot can happen, positive and negative in the intervening period.

The structure the game should go for is the most obvious and simple one. The clubs in SL are in there until the f@ck it up, the clubs outside SL are outside SL until they can make a pretty convincing argument that they wont f@ck it up.

Right now, Salford, London and Cas are f’cking it up. Put them on a warning and tell that by mid-season next year, you have to make a pretty convincing argument to stay in SL. Tell Hull KR they have a few issues to sort out if they aren’t to fall in to this group, and Wakefield need to have a stadium by when they said they would or they fall in to this position.

Tell clubs outside SL that they need to come and show a plan where they are going to get 10k a week, get x amount from sponsors, have a decent quality facility and generally how they aren’t going to f’ck it up if they are promoted.

If that means we drop 5 clubs and promote 0, so be it. We will find a league structure which works with 9 sides. If it means we drop 0 and promote, Fax, Fev, Toulouse and Sheffield, so be it. We will find a league structure that works with 18 sides.'"

Sensible enough and if they'd done it from day 1 like that and maybe if it'd been an unfashionable club with no recent major trophies in the cabinet, rather than Bradford, it could have worked out. But they didn't and I think the licensing 'brand' is too badly contaminated for a reboot. 'Picking' on a team for failing to develop their stadium or not having good enough revenue forecasts looks laughable when you've given newcos licences. It very possibly was the execution rather than the concept that was at fault, but it is unrealistic to expect people to forget what has happened or for them to have any trust in it going forward.
So either we try to turn the cliff-edge between SL and the Championship into more of a gentle slope (it is the fear/fact that relegation almost equals death that causes the irresponsibility, to a large extent), or we guarantee SL clubs their place and cut away the, frankly tiresome, BS that takes attention away from the sport itself. Because licensing as a process is very boring and it serves no real purpose now. The punishment for having a stadium is having a stadium, for not having much money it is being skint, for not developing juniors it is having little squad depth... putting structures to scare the poor into trying to be richer - if only it were that simple. It isn't that clubs can't see the benefits.
Kick out those that can't cut it - in an ideal world fair enough, but how many'd be left. 2 or 3 that are roughly self-sustaining? another 2 or 3 with really rich backers?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: Dreamer "The same place that the myth of the Championship "moaning" is influencing either the RFL or SL.

As an aside I have noticed that someone said this on the first page
So it doesnt exist, fair enough.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: Mild Rover "Sensible enough and if they'd done it from day 1 like that and maybe if it'd been an unfashionable club with no recent major trophies in the cabinet, rather than Bradford, it could have worked out. But they didn't and I think the licensing 'brand' is too badly contaminated for a reboot. 'Picking' on a team for failing to develop their stadium or not having good enough revenue forecasts looks laughable when you've given newcos licences. It very possibly was the execution rather than the concept that was at fault, but it is unrealistic to expect people to forget what has happened or for them to have any trust in it going forward.
So either we try to turn the cliff-edge between SL and the Championship into more of a gentle slope (it is the fear/fact that relegation almost equals death that causes the irresponsibility, to a large extent), or we guarantee SL clubs their place and cut away the, frankly tiresome, BS that takes attention away from the sport itself. Because licensing as a process is very boring and it serves no real purpose now. The punishment for having a poop stadium is having a poop stadium, for not having much money it is being skint, for not developing juniors it is having little squad depth... putting structures to scare the poor into trying to be richer - if only it were that simple. It isn't that clubs can't see the benefits.
Kick out those that can't cut it - in an ideal world fair enough, but how many'd be left. 2 or 3 that are roughly self-sustaining? another 2 or 3 with really rich backers?'"

The issue with 'franchising/licensing and some fans attitude towards it is simply one of communication. Its an easy enough one to overcome.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1080No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

For me, the huge problem with the system as it is now is that it's a closed shop. Whether the current debate is a case of the tail wagging the dog or not there has to be a pathway for Champ, Champ 1 and new clubs to establish themselves and progress to the appropriate level in the league structure. I like the sound of Option 3 because it provides that pathway in a straightforward manner and without any "cliffs" - if a club makes it to the top 8 one season but can't hack it, it's no big deal to play in the next tier and slowly build up to a position of being able to challenge the top clubs again. Some clubs will do it, some won't - that's the way of professional sport - but all clubs have to have the chance otherwise there's nothing to play for and RL at lower levels (which are vital for the game) will largely disappear (or at least not progress as seems to be the case now).
The main concern is the sharing out of limited money. Easy - establish minimum standards by distributing it according to a formula that takes in to account;
1- league position
2 - average home attendance
3 - youth and player development
4 - community work
A nice new stadium isn't the be all and end all. If Cas can get 10000+ at WR irrespective of the state of the bogs that's what matters. Fans will vote with their feet - clubs will have to do whatever is needed or they won't get the cash and they will sink to lower, more appropriate level.

RankPostsTeam
International Star5123
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
60524_1510403940.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_60524.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "and then still not reach 10k averages, still not be able to be sustainable spending the full cap, and still not start a season aiming to win SL rather than simply not finish in the top 4.

If that is Cas's plan for sustainability as an SL entity, a tarted up stadium which is falling to pieces and offputting to people, and spending a little bit more money with the aim of mid-table mediocrity then they shouldnt be in SL.

If cas want to be an SL club then they should be working towards looking like an SL club.'"

Thats all in your opinion Smokey. At present SL is a 14 team comp. Ask any fan of the british game if Cas Tigers are one of the best 13 clubs in England and worthy of a place in the elite - most will say yes they are. We are in SL on merit - the same as Salford and Widnes and Wakey.

RankPostsTeam
International Star5123
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
60524_1510403940.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_60524.jpg

Widnes CEO urges RFL to stick with current structure :-

www.loverugbyleague.com/news_119 ... cture.html

We now know how Widnes and Warrington will vote.
Widnes CEO urges RFL to stick with current structure :-

www.loverugbyleague.com/news_119 ... cture.html

We now know how Widnes and Warrington will vote.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Tigerade "Thats all in your opinion Smokey. At present SL is a 14 team comp. Ask any fan of the british game if Cas Tigers are one of the best 13 clubs in England and worthy of a place in the elite - most will say yes they are. We are in SL on merit - the same as Salford and Widnes and Wakey.'"

Clubs whose only aim is to not quite be the worst club in SL shouldn’t be in SL, structuring the game so that these clubs can be in SL holds back the game.
How much merit really is there in Cas being one of the best 13 pro clubs in Britain when there are only 13 pro clubs in Britain? Right now there is as much merit in Cas’ place in SL as there is in being the worlds tallest dwarf.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10530
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18919_1341147656.jpg
[quote="King Monkey":30st820n]Maybe a spell in prison would do Graham good. At least he'd lose his virginity.[/quote:30st820n]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_18919.jpg

Can the clubs vote for the current structure to remain the same or are the 3 option mentioned the only options being considered?

RankPostsTeam
Moderator12633
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33809_1522680904.png
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_33809.png

Quote: Charlie Sheen "Can the clubs vote for the current structure to remain the same or are the 3 option mentioned the only options being considered?'"

Gary Hetherington indicated that was the case in an interview, I saw, yep.

If they do though, it needs an end to this 3 year cycle of assessments nonsense and a separate system needs to be put in place for the semi-pro game. Like the NRL with the NSW and Queensland competitions, perhaps.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif
:simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: SmokeyTA "Clubs whose only aim is to not quite be the worst club in SL shouldn’t be in SL, structuring the game so that these clubs can be in SL holds back the game.
How much merit really is there in Cas being one of the best 13 pro clubs in Britain when there are only 13 pro clubs in Britain? Right now there is as much merit in Cas’ place in SL as there is in being the worlds tallest dwarf.'"

Talking of dwarfs, you are living in a fantasy world Smokey.
Of course Cas should be in the top flight as they were given a 3 year licence and are there on merit.
Yes, they are having difficulties at the moment but, they will overcome their problems at some point.

I love the fact that many people want to cut the "poorer" teams from the league but the reality is, no matter how many clubs compete in the top division, be it 10, 12, 14 or even 16, there will still be teams who cant realistically win the comp, just as there is in EVERY other pro sport in the world.
In RL, we keep searching for a magic formula that will solve everything and just as Cas may not become champions, this ain't going to happen !
Stability and a strategy to move the game forward is what are needed.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Quote: wrencat1873 "Talking of dwarfs, you are living in a fantasy world Smokey.
Of course Cas should be in the top flight as they were given a 3 year licence and are there on merit.
Yes, they are having difficulties at the moment but, they will overcome their problems at some point.

I love the fact that many people want to cut the "poorer" teams from the league but the reality is, no matter how many clubs compete in the top division, be it 10, 12, 14 or even 16, there will still be teams who cant realistically win the comp, just as there is in EVERY other pro sport in the world.
In RL, we keep searching for a magic formula that will solve everything and just as Cas may not become champions, this ain't going to happen !
Stability and a strategy to move the game forward is what are needed.'"

Spot on

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman16250
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
953.jpg
2015 - major missed opportunity, 2016 - stronger teams = harder task (no problem there then), 2017 - OMG What now!!!:953.jpg

Smokey, you mention the 4 different GF winners since 2008 I think. How many different GF winners have their been since say 1998. If you look at it that way is there any diference?

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner28186No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif
"As you travel through life don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin [url:2cg5oc2o]http://twitter.com/AndyGilder[/url:2cg5oc2o] [url:2cg5oc2o]http://fromthewesternterrace.blogspot.co.uk[/url:2cg5oc2o] This week: Four keys to a Rhinos win in the WCC:Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif

Why would 1998-2008 be relevant, given it was under a completely different structure?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: wrencat1873 "Talking of dwarfs, you are living in a fantasy world Smokey.'"

Dwarves are real people!

Quote: wrencat1873 "Of course Cas should be in the top flight as they were given a 3 year licence and are there on merit.
Yes, they are having difficulties at the moment but, they will overcome their problems at some point.'"
Which of their problems and how are they to overcome them? And by overcome them do we mean not lurching from crisis to disaster? Or do we mean just being stable? Or do we mean being an actual Super League club capable of competing with any other both on and off the field?

Quote: wrencat1873 "I love the fact that many people want to cut the "poorer" teams from the league but the reality is, no matter how many clubs compete in the top division, be it 10, 12, 14 or even 16, there will still be teams who cant realistically win the comp, just as there is in EVERY other pro sport in the world.
Stability and a strategy to move the game forward is what are needed.'"
Clubs which aren’t going for success aren’t moving the game forward they are holding it back. And I don’t agree that in every sport there are teams who can never win the comp even in our league it needn’t be so. Leeds, Wigan, Wire, St’s, Bradford have all finished top of SL and got to a GF, Hull have got to a GF, Les Catalans and Hudds are certainly capable of it. Salford have the money now to compete and will be there soon. That’s 9 of our 14 clubs.

There will in any one season be clubs who cannot win the comp. But that isn’t what we are talking about. We are talking about a club which, in perpetuity, hasn’t gone a plan to take them from where they are today to a place where they can win the comp. That isn’t good enough.

I don’t doubt Wakefield are planning on the move to Newmarket being a catalyst for them in their move from where they were (bust, struggling, simply aiming to not to be bottom) to where they are right now (aiming for regular play-off appearances) to where they need to be (sustainable, aiming for silverware).

I have no problem whatsoever with a club, any club doing this. Whether it be London, Wakefield, Widnes, Cas, Fev, whoever, its what they should be doing and what franchising allows them to do. But instead what we have is a situation where we seem to be trying to do whatever we can to make sure the clubs who are protected aren’t the ones trying to push themselves and the game to the next level, but the ones which have reached their peak and just want to hold on as long as they can, damaging the game to do that if needs be.

I agree strategy and stability are the way forward and I have no problem with that. But what good is strategy and stability to Cas if they are NEVER going to compete? We can be as strategic and as stable as we want but it wont make the slightest difference if Cas aren’t going to grow to an SL level.

What more obvious indicator could you want that a club is operating at a level too high for itself than the acceptance that they will never grow enough to challenge in at that level?

364 posts in 25 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
364 posts in 25 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.00244140625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Merger with Huddersfield
MP
4m
Finn out Murrell in
MP
11m