Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 1970Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

rl]rl]
Quote: Pumpetypump "The iconic stadium is the hole in the ground in Southern Bradford that is so prohibitively expensive to maintain it would make you go into administration. Mysteriously some wakefield fans in particular think being gifted the obligation to stay in it was an act of great kindness by the RFL.'"
at the time it was when the rfl got involved it was to help you out and it was the bank that chose otherwise, you can't blame us for seeing favouritism when we too have our stadium issues,
I can understand the problem of expensive maintenance for the size of the stadium but you should understand that you can't have a governing body interfering where it is not right to do so. Your council is as much to blame as ours and should get their act together.

I hold no malice towards Bradford and wish them every success in getting back to SL

RankPostsTeam
Moderator8087
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
869_1597404840.jpg
//www.twitter.com/pumpetypump:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_869.jpg

Quote: snowie "rl]rl]at the time it was when the rfl got involved it was to help you out and it was the bank that chose otherwise, you can't blame us for seeing favouritism when we too have our stadium issues, '"

Where we disagree is that you think it was favouritism, in other words a random act of kindness by the RFL toward Bradford. Take a step back and ask yourself does that sound a bit odd to you. I'm genuinely as far from a conspiracy theorist as you'll get, but there has to be more to it than simply wanting to help Bradford out. The RFL may well have not wanted Odsal to be lost, but as to why I'm not sure. I sometimes think it would be nice for a few other clubs to be inflicted with a similar kindness (and other meddling) and see how you get on.

It wasn't worth it on financial grounds. It wasn't worth it by tying us to a ground that's unaffordable, and it wasn't worth it because it fostered ill-will towards the club and the governing body.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17933
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif
:simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: Pumpetypump "Where we disagree is that you think it was favouritism, in other words a random act of kindness by the RFL toward Bradford. Take a step back and ask yourself does that sound a bit odd to you. I'm genuinely as far from a conspiracy theorist as you'll get, but there has to be more to it than simply wanting to help Bradford out. The RFL may well have not wanted Odsal to be lost, but as to why I'm not sure. I sometimes think it would be nice for a few other clubs to be inflicted with a similar kindness (and other meddling) and see how you get on.

It wasn't worth it on financial grounds. It wasn't worth it by tying us to a ground that's unaffordable, and it wasn't worth it because it fostered ill-will towards the club and the governing body.'"

It was only "worth it" as the "dodgy deal" prevented Bradford from going pop, thus, keeping them in the top flight.
We know that if failed spectacularly and actually made things a whole lot worse but, it was all about saving the most successful club of the SL era.
I dont think there was any additional conspiracy. It was just a line put out by the RFL to try and justify the "loan" and everyone has been paying for it ever since and with Bradford moving in with Dewsbury, which in the circumstances, has kept them breathing, they need some serious cash injection to get them back to Bradford.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2215No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20195 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2020Aug 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: wrencat1873 "It was only "worth it" as the "dodgy deal" prevented Bradford from going pop, thus, keeping them in the top flight.
We know that if failed spectacularly and actually made things a whole lot worse but, it was all about saving the most successful club of the SL era.
I dont think there was any additional conspiracy. It was just a line put out by the RFL to try and justify the "loan" and everyone has been paying for it ever since and with Bradford moving in with Dewsbury, which in the circumstances, has kept them breathing, they need some serious cash injection to get them back to Bradford.'"

I can't see it happening, quite a few people have promised the earth and not delivered in Bradford, is there any appetite for a return to Odsal?

Tolouse, TWP, Ottowa, New York, they are the future of the game, not a dated old ground with banked up in goals. Wakefield is bad enough with no cover and the block of flats at one end.

We really would be better with Doncaster in The Keepmoat in SL than a failed Bradford relaunch.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3853
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Sep 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
53838_1362327793.jpg
And so you aim towards the sky, And you'll rise high today, Fly away, Far away, Far from pain....:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_53838.jpg

Odsal is the biggest white elephant in RL.

All this talk of it being 'iconic'- is there a RL fan who really enjoyed watching a game there?... No cover, miles from the pitch, poor atmosphere, I don't see a single selling point of why anybody would want that relic back, when surely we should be looking to make the game look modern and worth investing in?

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2215No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20195 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2020Aug 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Dita's Slot Meter "Odsal is the biggest white elephant in RL.

All this talk of it being 'iconic'- is there a RL fan who really enjoyed watching a game there?... No cover, miles from the pitch, poor atmosphere, I don't see a single selling point of why anybody would want that relic back, when surely we should be looking to make the game look modern and worth investing in?'"

Yup, pretty much the nail on the head. The game and it's audience have changed, I miss the days of The Boulevard, but I think that is more wistful memories of going as a kid and young adult, rather than it having been better than the KC. The one place I do miss is Charleston club in Hull, but that was the people more than the place.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator96736No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Fish/PDT_Fish_35.gif
:Fish/PDT_Fish_35.gif

Quote: IR80 "
We really would be better with Doncaster in The Keepmoat in SL than a failed Bradford relaunch.'"

If only icon_smile.gif

RankPostsTeam
Moderator8087
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
869_1597404840.jpg

Quote: Dita's Slot Meter "Odsal is the biggest white elephant in RL.

All this talk of it being 'iconic'- is there a RL fan who really enjoyed watching a game there?... No cover, miles from the pitch, poor atmosphere, I don't see a single selling point of why anybody would want that relic back, when surely we should be looking to make the game look modern and worth investing in?'"

I think you're exaggerating a little. Back in the glory days with it approaching 20k, say a Leeds / Bradford derby it was a phenomenal experience with a superb atmosphere. I don't really think anyone was that far from the pitch either. Comparable to Hull KR at the time, with main stands nearer the pitch and behind the posts further away. Nevertheless, as a Bradford fan of nearly 40 years for whom Odsal holds some truly magical memories, I don't want to go back.

It is not possible to turn that crater into a ground fit for the future. As I've said before, let Bradford Council and the RFL sell up and make their money however they wish, and lets get a community stadium where the upturned boat was across the road.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2215No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20195 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2020Aug 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Pumpetypump "I think you're exaggerating a little. Back in the glory days with it approaching 20k, say a Leeds / Bradford derby it was a phenomenal experience with a superb atmosphere. I don't really think anyone was that far from the pitch either. Comparable to Hull KR at the time, with main stands nearer the pitch and behind the posts further away. Nevertheless, as a Bradford fan of nearly 40 years for whom Odsal holds some truly magical memories, I don't want to go back.

It is not possible to turn that crater into a ground fit for the future. As I've said before, let Bradford Council and the RFL sell up and make their money however they wish, and lets get a community stadium where the upturned boat was across the road.'"

and where would the money for a community stadium come from?

RankPostsTeam
Moderator8087
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
869_1597404840.jpg

Quote: IR80 "and where would the money for a community stadium come from?'"

Well there are several possible options to explore. By permanently vacating Odsal the council might be able to sell the asset make a profit and help with some of the financing of a community Stadium. There's also our sister club (of sorts) Bradford Park Avenue. They've improved their own ground lately but a bespoke community stadium shared with us would be attractive. The Council have lost a major swimming pool complex in the Richard Dunn and have various published aspirations for improving the fitness of Bradfordians etc. A modest community stadium on the same site with all weather pitches etc could go some way to addressing that.

I'm not looking for any handouts, but I think there's ways and means of getting a stadium for Bradford built, and for the RFL to recoup their investment in Odsal.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2215No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20195 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2020Aug 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Pumpetypump "Well there are several possible options to explore. By permanently vacating Odsal the council might be able to sell the asset make a profit and help with some of the financing of a community Stadium. There's also our sister club (of sorts) Bradford Park Avenue. They've improved their own ground lately but a bespoke community stadium shared with us would be attractive. The Council have lost a major swimming pool complex in the Richard Dunn and have various published aspirations for improving the fitness of Bradfordians etc. A modest community stadium on the same site with all weather pitches etc could go some way to addressing that.

I'm not looking for any handouts, but I think there's ways and means of getting a stadium for Bradford built, and for the RFL to recoup their investment in Odsal.'"

I can't see why anyone would want to buy Odsal, hardly a prime development site in a very poor area of Bradford...?

RankPostsTeam
International Star1331No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021May 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: IR80 "Yup, pretty much the nail on the head. The game and it's audience have changed, I miss the days of The Boulevard, but I think that is more wistful memories of going as a kid and young adult, rather than it having been better than the KC. The one place I do miss is Charleston club in Hull, but that was the people more than the place.'"

The Boulevard, Fartown, Knowsley Road, Central Park, Wilderspool, Hilton Park, I go back to Parkside, McLaren Field et all always had some atmosphere felt like double the crowd and when you walked past the changing room you could always smell linement ... oh the days...

Thrum Hall on boxing days happy memories....

Crown Flat with its bloody slope....

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2215No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20195 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2020Aug 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: fartown since 1961 "The Boulevard, Fartown, Knowsley Road, Central Park, Wilderspool, Hilton Park, I go back to Parkside, McLaren Field et all always had some atmosphere felt like double the crowd and when you walked past the changing room you could always smell linement ... oh the days...

Crown Flat with its bloody slope....'"

There was always someone fighting at Wilderspool, and not on the pitch.

RankPostsTeam
International Star5139No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2021Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: fartown since 1961 "The Boulevard, Fartown, Knowsley Road, Central Park, Wilderspool, Hilton Park, I go back to Parkside, McLaren Field et all always had some atmosphere felt like double the crowd and when you walked past the changing room you could always smell linement ... oh the days...

Crown Flat with its bloody slope....'"

You never went to the Barley Mow ground then, or Blackpool's Derby Rd or back of the gasworks opposite Turners coach park.

RankPostsTeam
International Star5139No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2021Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: IR80 "Tolouse, TWP, Ottowa, New York, they are the future of the game, not a dated old ground with banked up in goals. Wakefield is bad enough with no cover and the block of flats at one end.'"

There's no cover at Cas or Leeds for away supporters either, Catalans have only limited under cover for away fans so why single Wakefield out, as for the block of flats which seem to bother every rugby fan bar Wakey's they provide a large part of the clubs income which I'm sure if you ever visited the corporate area for the match day meal which is fully booked every game you wouldn't take the view you do, incidentally what's your thoughts on the council swimming pool built at one end of the council stadium in Perpignan.

219 posts in 16 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
219 posts in 16 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.00439453125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
This site is crap
ALAW
20m
Round 16 London Home
Once were Lo
32m