FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > GAME ON : Salford Reds Devils v Toronto Wolfpack - 14:00:00
49 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner1606No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2021Jan 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Donnyman "It was to improve the French national side up to Test Level status.

It has failed on the criteria it was created on.

I love Catalans but there is now a strong argument they may serve the game better playing in the French league.'"

Whilst I’m sure improving the National team was one of the objectives, I’m pretty sure that wouldn’t be the only thing.

Are you saying you don’t believe Catalans are an asset to the league?

Also, I’m not inventing millionaires, Argyle is doing it right now, but you’re challenging whether we should allow it.... why not? If he’s stupid enough to throw silly money at it, why stop him? And if it does work, you can bet your bottom dollar there’ll be others who want to follow suit...

I’m more than happy that we’ll agree to disagree on this one. I agree with all your latest points on the history of the game and expansion attempts in the past, and it all being about survival - I guess where my head is at, is that expansion offers the potential of more than just survival, it offers huge growth potential if done right (which it never has been), and I think it’s worth a shot, you clearly don’t, and that’s cool too. One things for sure, I’ll still love my rugby league, and whatever path the game takes, all I want is for it to prosper and reach its potential - and its a million miles from its potential currently.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif
:simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: Donnyman "It was to improve the French national side up to Test Level status.

It has failed on the criteria it was created on.

I love Catalans but there is now a strong argument they may serve the game better playing in the French league.'"

The French side may well have improved but, expecting them to be on a par with England or NZ was NEVER going to happen.
We would have been better served adding Toulouse to SL and helping further, rather than chucking Catalan under the bus.

When you say better, better for who ??

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1242No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021May 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Rlfans - the most toxic rugby league forum in the world:

England aren’t even test level now so by Donnymans argument all the English clubs should be kicked out of SL lmao

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain510No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20205 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Superted "Wow - you seem very angry about my view of them as an expansion club, and appear to have made a whole host of assumptions based on what seems an irrational over reaction, but I'll answer your points;

1 - I class them as an expansion club because they're non-heartlands. They're a relatively new entity in an area that is not historically and RL hotbed. As for TV deal etc, I would never have expected them to bring immediate revenue in this area, but long term, if RL is to take off in North America, there are huge potential benefits - but this will very much be a slow burner and relies on plenty of other things to work.

2 - Again, it's impossible to expect them to be supplying Super League level home grown players in such a short period of time and this would very much be a long term aim. They are a figurehead at the top table (which is needed to attract non-traditional RL families to the kids game), but building the infrastructure in terms of junior leagues, development pathways etc will take decades to start producing players of the required standard. This is an argument I've seen a lot of people raising 'they've not got any Canadian players'... Do you really expect them to have at this point in their journey? Melbourne are one of, if not THE most successful clubs in the NRL, yet after 30 years of existence, they've only had the 1 Victorian come through their systems and make grade in NRL, and he was a Tongan heritage player anyway. Would you say Melbourne are a failure as a club?

3 - Agree this is a shame, but that was based on the rules of promotion/relegation, hardly TWP's fault that London finished bottom. For what's it worth, I would like to see both TWP and London around the top table, and I'd be happy for the governing body to provide support/concessions to both clubs in order to help them be successful. If (and I accept it's a big if) we can make London, TWP, other French and North American clubs successful enough to stand on their own 2 feet, that can only be a positive for the sport of RL as a whole.

4 - Again, I get the view that you are looking at things purely in the short term. If we can get 5 successful North American clubs, I couldn't give a rats backside where they get their players from - if people are willing to pay to turn up and watch it, that sets a platform for each of those clubs to set up all of the infrastructure needed for junior development etc and grow the fanbase of RL worldwide. If North America became that much of a success, I'm sure they'd want their own league - and that would be wonderful.

5 - That's TWP's issue to deal with - The fact players don't want to travel 400 miles to play in London shows how small time we are culturally as a sport. If TWP have the money and have success, the players will be more than happy to travel. Melbourne faced similar issues in Aus, as have Canberra historically - yet both teams have no problems attracting players during their successful periods.

So, in summary, and to answer your final point, I can see the potential benefits that could be achieved if TWP (or any other expansion club, including London) were to be a success long term and believe as a sport, we should do everything we can to help them get there. Melbourne have been given plenty of support of the years, and RL in Melbourne is now flourishing, though they're still struggling to develop local juniors 30 years into their existence, but they do produce lots of superstars from their juniors, albeit those players brought in at a young age from more traditional RL heartlands in Aus, or from the pacific Islands. Melbourne have a very solid fan base though and are now one of the most successful commercial entities in the NRL, but that has taken a staggering amount of financial support from News LTD and the NRL.

The way I see it, we can stick with our traditional clubs, and the sport will never reach it's potential, we'll stay at the sort of level we're at now in terms of financial power and stature within the sporting world (or more likely we'll fall further behind). I'd prefer to work through time and resource behind trying to grow the game, expansion clubs are vital for this, but it will take decades before this pays off.'"

One of the best posts I've read, sums it all up so everyone can understand.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 20195 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2022Feb 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Superted "

Whilst I’m sure improving the National team was one of the objectives, I’m pretty sure that wouldn’t be the only thing.

I’m more than happy that we’ll agree to disagree on this one.
Quote: Superted "]

No we will not icon_eek.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 20195 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2022Feb 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: The Silent H "One of the best posts I've read, sums it all up so everyone can understand.'"

icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif Try my post above, it's a reality post, and of course you don't speak for everyone nor do you qualify to patronise them over their thought processes.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner5594
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Aug 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6329_1327085433.jpg
...Diagnosing SBD (Sporting Bipolar Disorder) since 2003... Negs bringing down the tone of your forum? Keyboard Bell-endery tiresome? Embarrassed by some of your own fans? Then you need... TheButcher I must be STOPPED!! Vice Chairman of The Scarlet Turkey Clique Grand Wizard Shill of Nibiru Prime & Dark Globe Champion Chairman of 'The Neil Barker School for gifted Clowns' "A Local Forum. For Local People":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6329.jpg

So...

That Salford Toronto game eh?

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 20195 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2022Feb 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: wrencat1873 "The French side may well have improved but, expecting them to be on a par with England or NZ was NEVER going to happen.
We would have been better served adding Toulouse to SL and helping further, rather than chucking Catalan under the bus. '"

Read my post above, I know you won't troll and will give it a fair chance.

The inclusion of Les Catalans as a Superleague club was of course to develop quality French players and a French TV deal. Those' two things keep the game just about alive along the M62. Those two things were also asked of TWP. Those two things apply to Toulouse - Lenegan went to Toulouse years ago to tell them that the game needed quality players and paying TV deals.

My friend, Toulouse have no SL quality players otherwise Les Catalans would have signed them. Despite Toulouse being in the league here the TV company pulled the deal.

The French have very sadly failed big time yet you would still give then two spaces in Superleague? What do you think clubs like Leigh, Bradford, Newcastle and Widnes would say if Ian Lenegan put Toulouse in Superleague???? They would be livid....

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner1606No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2021Jan 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Donnyman "[
No we will not
I’ve been involved in the game for over 30 years, so I’m pretty well versed in the history and the facts - I’m not sure you’ve provided any facts that I’ve not accepted. What you have provided is your opinion that heartland clubs are more important (which I don’t even think I’ve disagreed with), that the aim of Catalans was to have a better French national team (again, I don’t disagree, but believe it’s about more than just that) and that expansion is pointless - that bit I do disagree with.....

Anyway, that’s me done with this conversation, I think I’ve shared my views in a rational manner, with a nod to what I see as the very long term potential benefits of expansion, the factors we’d need to rely on for it to work and an acceptance that it is a long shot, and that IMO it’s worth a try.

Over and out!

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain510No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20205 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Donnyman "icon_lol.gif Of course I don't speak for everyone but that his post was understandable. Are you saying that you didn't understand what he was saying because it made sense to me?

As do some of your points that I agree with, just not every one of your points because I believe we can have both, expansion and heartland. Also that widnes and Bradford are nowhere near financiallly capable to be in super league. Any proof that they are?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member749No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3122.jpg
:3122.jpg

Quote: TheButcher "So...

That Salford Toronto game eh?'"

If only eh! I wonder if every Toronto game thread will end up like this.

On a note relating to the game, the Williams try has gone viral on social media after football fans picked up on his likeness to Mo Salah. Nice bit of exposure for Salford.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4469
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Aug 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
69704_1656949802.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_69704.jpg

Quote: notorious "If only eh! I wonder if every Toronto game thread will end up like this.

On a note relating to the game, the Williams try has gone viral on social media after football fans picked up on his likeness to Mo Salah. Nice bit of exposure for Salford.'"

Took them long enough

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1242No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021May 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Rlfans - the most toxic rugby league forum in the world:

Quote: The Silent H "Of course I don't speak for everyone but that his post was understandable. Are you saying that you didn't understand what he was saying because it made sense to me?

As do some of your points that I agree with, just not every one of your points because I believe we can have both, expansion and heartland. Also that widnes and Bradford are nowhere near financiallly capable to be in super league. Any proof that they are?'"

Donnyman doesn’t deal in “proof”

RankPostsTeam
International Star1623No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
54309_1552130516.jpg
quote="Ruune Rebellion"]No. That’s what you said you idiot which is why you are sexiest lol. Give up you sexiest Imbecile[/quote]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_54309.jpg

Quote: notorious "If only eh! I wonder if every Toronto game thread will end up like this.

On a note relating to the game, the Williams try has gone viral on social media after football fans picked up on his likeness to Mo Salah. Nice bit of exposure for Salford.'"

Let's hope it's the only likeness to that little $h1te from down the M62! icon_mrgreen.gif

I got all excited about a 5 page Salford thread only to read about half a dozen posts about the actual game!

This new Salford team is definitely a WIP. The problem is we don't have much time to gel with the fixtures coming up. Home games against the likes of Hudds, KR & Leeds are games we need to be winning before we get the (on paper) tougher fixtures. I'm still confident we'll be sat just below mid-table by the end of the season but the next 4-6 weeks will probably define our season IMO. Get the points on the board early and take a bit of the pressure off.

A few promising signs from Brown last week and Seb will be a key player once he's fully fit. Sarginson was excellent I thought as well against Toronto and will definitely solidify the backline defensively.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 20195 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2022Feb 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Superted "

I’ve been involved in the game for over 30 years, so I’m pretty well versed in the history and the facts I think I’ve shared my views in a rational manner, with a nod to what I see as the very long term potential benefits of expansion....

Over and out

'"

You can "over and out" as much as you want, if the French quality player pool is smaller than 1996 and the French TV deal was pulled then what "expansion" are you going on about?

Your welcome to any opinion even if it doesn't have any basis of fact. As long as TWP go round pretending they are the best thing to ever happen to the game here the vast majority of fans will call it out, I thought once in SL TWP would be found out by one and all, but a small percentage of fans still want to argue sending the old Leigh team to play 3,000 miles away as a plaything of a mega rich Aussie is "expansion" icon_lol.gif

49 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
49 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

14.21337890625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Tonights match v HKR
just_browny
4m
Rumours thread
Prince Buste
5m