JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Aug 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Shifty Cat "No doubt it has the past 10 years or so. You only have to look at the amount of World Champs we have/had in that time and you can see that British boxing is at its absolute peak. It's been a bit of a knock on effect of the amount of money put into the amateur scene for the Olympics that has also brought about the upturn.

it isn't that long that we only had the likes of Hatton and Calzaghe as WC boxers and one or two others, now you can reel a list off of recent and present Champs.
Off the top of my head, there's AJ, Fury, Haye, Froch, Kell Brook, Khan, James DeGale, Billy Joe Saunders, Callum Smith, Liam Smith, Rocky Fielding, Josh Warrington, Ryan Burnett, Khalid Yafai, Groves, Eubank Jr, Crolla & Ricky Burns.

Also, agree Froch was an excellent boxer. The only guy that really schooled him was Andre Ward and he was ranked as the P4P best by Ring magazine and others during his LHW career. You don't beat the likes of Kessler, Bute, Jean Pascal, Jermaine Taylor, Dirrell, Abraham & Groves unless you're WC'"

Because weve got more world champion boxers it doesnt mean the quality of boxing and standard has improved.Take for instance Froch vs groves at wembley.If they were fighters from 20 years ago they wouldn't have filled a telephone box,especially groves who is an average fighter.The majority of americans and fighters from the west are turning to MMA and the Ufc.Boxing barely gets a mention in the states these days.What Hearn has managed to do with sky is make their fighters massive amounts of money,many of whom wouldnt live with the boxers from 20 years ago.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4647
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50733_1530270912.jpg
[color=#000000:ogl9gbum]"Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him."[/color:ogl9gbum]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50733.jpg

Quote: saintnickle34 "Because weve got more world champion boxers it doesnt mean the quality of boxing and standard has improved.Take for instance Froch vs groves at wembley.If they were fighters from 20 years ago they wouldn't have filled a telephone box,especially groves who is an average fighter.The majority of americans and fighters from the west are turning to MMA and the Ufc.Boxing barely gets a mention in the states these days.What Hearn has managed to do with sky is make their fighters massive amounts of money,many of whom wouldnt live with the boxers from 20 years ago.'"

It's simply called hype. The Hearns are very good at it, and they have a paying public who are more than willing to lap it up, seemingly at any cost.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5771
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
46978_1481681744.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_46978.jpg

Quote: saintnickle34 "Because weve got more world champion boxers it doesnt mean the quality of boxing and standard has improved.Take for instance Froch vs groves at wembley.If they were fighters from 20 years ago they wouldn't have filled a telephone box,especially groves who is an average fighter.The majority of americans and fighters from the west are turning to MMA and the Ufc.Boxing barely gets a mention in the states these days.What Hearn has managed to do with sky is make their fighters massive amounts of money,many of whom wouldnt live with the boxers from 20 years ago.'"

Didn't argue otherwise but it's up for debate about the standard but that's beside the point. What can be generated through those Champions in today's world is hype though and people are buying into it big style through Social Media arguments that the media are quick to jump all over and other match up's that the Country are keen to see because they are quality fighters, Aj v fury for example.
No doubt the Hearns have done a great job of turning the talent we've produced of recent times and made people want to see the fights, even when they're not for World titles, people have bought into them and filled big stadiums like Haye v Bellew.
The issue for me is that all transferable to RL. Boxing like darts and Snooker are individual sports where you hire an arena do all the build-up and put on the event. Will their skill set translate to RL. We'll see if they get involved.

As for boxing barely getting a mention in the States, I don't totally agree, it does, but not to the extent when the USA ruled the HW division and that for me and others is the reason why boxing over there isn't ruling like it once was. Give them a dominant HW Champion, like a Tyson or Ali and I bet we'd see the sport suddenly come back to life.

When I grew up and took Karate and then Kickboxing classes it was just for the love of it, how things have changed. Kids go to gyms thinking they may actually make a career as sorts out of it if they're any good and have good training.
I'm actually involved in training guys for MMA and what you say is true, MMA is seen as an actual way to earn a good living, where it wasn't just 10/15 years ago and has definitely made a dent on boxings hold of fighting & they actually have to compete with something similar nowadays. Whereas 20/30 years ago Boxing was it, as far as someone wanting to watch a PPV fight.

Over in the US Collegiate wrestlers only had the Olympics and WC to turn their hand to after University but now MMA is where many turn to. Similarly, former Golden glove champions are getting to their local MMA gym, learning a bit of takedown defense etc and working their way up to the UFC. Even American football players who haven't made the grade or got injured are equally turning to it. Similarly over here I've got guys that have played RU and RL that are athletes and are wanting to learn all the different bases of MMA.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1040No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Are we really gonna continue this myth that MMA is taking over from boxing. I must have heard this for like 15 years now. It's simply not true at all.

MMA is a niche sport. Its niche in the states and even less popular in Europe. Both MMA/UFC and boxing co exist and do good business.

Essentially both sports need stars. UFC numbers are down and that's because they have one PPV star and that's Connor McGregor. Outside of him it's a struggle. You let me know when UFC can sell 80,000+ tickets in Wembley at least once.

Anthony Joshua sells out huge stadiums and does 1m+ PPV buys.

When you see an MMA fighter generate the money Floyd Mayweather did we can start having a serious debate.

I have been watching MMA since the 90's. It's a great sport, just hate seeing this anti boxing fans come out with rubbish how it's this huge sport which will kill boxing.

Also froch would have lived and competed with any super middleweight from 20 years ago.

RankPostsTeam
International Star578No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2019Jan 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Time to say thank you and goodbye (please stand down) to the RFL Board. (Barwick has a job overseeing the 2021 RLWC anyway).

Then appoint an RFL board of Eddie Hearn (Executive Chairman) and Barry Hearn & Robert Elstone as non-execs (& Sally Bolton if she'd be a non-exec). Rimmer to go back to being Chief Operating Officer of the RFL.

Then scrap the salary cap and away we go.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4091No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2022Nov 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Fax and furious "Time to say thank you and goodbye (please stand down) to the RFL Board. (Barwick has a job overseeing the 2021 RLWC anyway).

Then appoint an RFL board of Eddie Hearn (Executive Chairman) and Barry Hearn & Robert Elstone as non-execs (& Sally Bolton if she'd be a non-exec). Rimmer to go back to being Chief Operating Officer of the RFL.

Then scrap the salary cap and away we go.'"

No thanks. If the Hearns have a magic wand why don’t they take over a club and show everyone how it’s done. Marwan K is a successful horse racing owner but I wouldn’t want him running our sport either.

RankPostsTeam
International Star11894No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
White Backgrounds/Statler.gif
:White Backgrounds/Statler.gif

Quote: Fax and furious "Time to say thank you and goodbye (please stand down) to the RFL Board. (Barwick has a job overseeing the 2021 RLWC anyway).

Then scrap the salary cap and away we go
.'"

Away we go to what?

RankPostsTeam
International Star1946No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2018Oct 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[b:3w2ur1db]Superleague Titles[/b:3w2ur1db] Warrington Wolfs - 0 Wakefield Trinity - 0 Leigh Centurions - 0 [quote="Budgiezilla":3w2ur1db]Surely it can only be a player from Catalans. Probably the best RL side I have ever witnessed in this season's comp.[/quote:3w2ur1db]:

Quote: Willzay "Away we go to what?'"

To flourishing again, rather than being held back by under achieving clubs

Regards

King James

RankPostsTeam
International Star1850No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: bramleyrhino "So we scrap the salary cap and then what? Most clubs still won't be able to afford to attract the top NRL talent or retain what talent we have, and we'll still be stuck with the 12 Super League clubs who, by and large, aren't up to the job.

Said it before, but Hearn is the easy answer to the wrong question. We spend too much time asking "who can save us?", when the real solutions are well within the grasp of the clubs.

All of the clubs employ commercial, PR and marketing managers - it's their job to find new audiences, find sponsors, sell tickets and put the stars in the public eye. The first question to ask is why those people aren't earning their keep, rather than jumping into bed with a snake oil salesman who can spot a quick buck a mile off.'"

Some clubs find themselves having money troubles with a salary cap. How long would these clubs survive without a salary cap

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach36085
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10363_1334937642.jpg
SUPPORT SWAG...:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10363.jpg

Well here we go, the same old gullible wanna bees on here backing yet another snake oil salesman.

Just ask yourselves fir once what the hell is into for him and if you find the answer you'll steer well clear.

RankPostsTeam
International Star7122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
59880_1480501182.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_59880.jpg

Quote: bramleyrhino "
If we want the sport to be relevant and credible, he's not the answer.'"

I don't get this kind of snobbery, isn't this what we used to bash RU for? RL certainly isn't relevant at the moment. How is our sport which is currently playing in front of sub 10k crowds most weeks, more relvant and credible than boxing which has multi-million TV deals, personalities, and sells out arenas for domestic fights?

Ask joe bloggs which is more relevant and credible, boxing or RL?

Interestingly the SKY tb coming up, hasn't Hearn just signed a $1billion contract for a boxing streaming service called DAZN?

But lets keep our flat caps, play in front of 5k fans, because that way, we're definitely.more relevant and credible than boxing...

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76030_1540929970.jpg
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES????? £20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000. The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover. There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT::d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_76030.jpg

Quote: Bull Mania "But lets keep our flat caps, play in front of 5k fans, because that way, we're definitely.more relevant and credible than boxing...'"

The Hearns have a pedigree in "single player" events.
Darts revolves around alcohol and basically the audience are "on one" with the arrows secondary.
Boxing, no matter your stance on the pro's and con's of the sport, has always appealed. I remember Benn and Eubank going it at it, the tragedy of Watson nearly 30 years ago, I remember Barry McGuigan uniting Ireland in the 1980's.......Boxing has always had a following and has always been a jingoistic sport, so the production line from the investment in amateur boxing for the Olympics was always going to produce talent....the Hearns have just jumped on it. They also list clients in Pool, 10 pin Bowling, fishing and Table Tennis.......

When it comes to Team Sports......how are Leyton Orient doing these days?

Why would we let a bloke/organisation with no pedigree in team sports tell us how to run our sport? It's not snobbery....it's pragmatism. They either control the sports they're involved in or they don't bother, so Mr Hearn.....don't bother!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2150
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47557_1332937611.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47557.jpg

Quote: Call Me God "The Hearns have a pedigree in "single player" events.
Darts revolves around alcohol and basically the audience are "on one" with the arrows secondary.
Boxing, no matter your stance on the pro's and con's of the sport, has always appealed. I remember Benn and Eubank going it at it, the tragedy of Watson nearly 30 years ago, I remember Barry McGuigan uniting Ireland in the 1980's.......Boxing has always had a following and has always been a jingoistic sport, so the production line from the investment in amateur boxing for the Olympics was always going to produce talent....the Hearns have just jumped on it. They also list clients in Pool, 10 pin Bowling, fishing and Table Tennis.......

When it comes to Team Sports......how are Leyton Orient doing these days?

Why would we let a bloke/organisation with no pedigree in team sports tell us how to run our sport? It's not snobbery....it's pragmatism. They either control the sports they're involved in or they don't bother, so Mr Hearn.....don't bother!'"

Rather than just dismiss them and say no thanks, why not give them an event to market? The upcoming series with NZ would have been good or maybe next year's Magic Weekend. Let them prove themselves before signing over power of attorney of the whole of RL

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman12792
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2020Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1506.jpg
[quote:18jc6kzm]I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls[/quote:18jc6kzm] [quote:18jc6kzm]Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.[/quote:18jc6kzm] [quote="Jamie Jones-Buchanan":18jc6kzm]"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.[/quote:18jc6kzm]:1506.jpg

Quote: Bull Mania "I don't get this kind of snobbery, isn't this what we used to bash RU for? RL certainly isn't relevant at the moment. How is our sport which is currently playing in front of sub 10k crowds most weeks, more relvant and credible than boxing which has multi-million TV deals, personalities, and sells out arenas for domestic fights?

Ask joe bloggs which is more relevant and credible, boxing or RL?

Interestingly the SKY tb coming up, hasn't Hearn just signed a $1billion contract for a boxing streaming service called DAZN?

But lets keep our flat caps, play in front of 5k fans, because that way, we're definitely.more relevant and credible than boxing...'"

For context, I don't think turning RL into the circus that large elements of boxing has become would do us any favours and I think holding that view is neither snobbish, nor insisting that remain a sport with 5k flatcappers watching it.

I come back my point about "the wrong answer to the wrong question". People looking to Hearn are asking "who can save us?", and see Hearn as that saviour. But so many of the answers are right there in front of us. The problem is not that we don't have a Hearn (who, as others have mentioned, doesn't have the unblemished record that some would have you believe, especially in team sports), but that we don't have enough clubs willing to explore those answers.

Like I said, across the 12 Super League clubs there are [iat least [/i12 people responsible for marketing, for reaching new audiences, for merchandising, for media relations and PR and for attracting sponsors. The first question to ask is why they aren't doing their jobs effectively enough. Look at how clubs like Bristol RU have turned themselves around in a relatively short space of time - now pulling in crowds of 15-20k simply by promoting themselves in the right places, in the right way, to the right people. They haven't needed Eddie Hearn, so why do we?

We have clubs insisting that we retain loop fixtures - fixtures that we know supporters are tired of and don't want - rather than looking at ways to improve the quality of the product and to grow the game. I genuinely think that Nines has the potential to be to RL what T20 has been to cricket, but the clubs seem to be willing to ignore this opportunity. Again, this isn't an issue that we need Hearn to fix - the clubs are more than capable with coming up with something more interesting than loop games.

When there are clubs blaming a structure for not being able to sell hospitality, yet those clubs don't even have a web page for their hospitalty offer, I think it's quite symptomatic of the problems that this sport has. Hearn doesn't change any of that.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50722_1319672516.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50722.jpg

Quote: bramleyrhino "For context, I don't think turning RL into the circus that large elements of boxing has become would do us any favours and I think holding that view is neither snobbish, nor insisting that remain a sport with 5k flatcappers watching it.

I come back my point about "the wrong answer to the wrong question". People looking to Hearn are asking "who can save us?", and see Hearn as that saviour. But so many of the answers are right there in front of us. The problem is not that we don't have a Hearn (who, as others have mentioned, doesn't have the unblemished record that some would have you believe, especially in team sports), but that we don't have enough clubs willing to explore those answers.

Like I said, across the 12 Super League clubs there are [iat least [/i12 people responsible for marketing, for reaching new audiences, for merchandising, for media relations and PR and for attracting sponsors. The first question to ask is why they aren't doing their jobs effectively enough. Look at how clubs like Bristol RU have turned themselves around in a relatively short space of time - now pulling in crowds of 15-20k simply by promoting themselves in the right places, in the right way, to the right people. They haven't needed Eddie Hearn, so why do we?

We have clubs insisting that we retain loop fixtures - fixtures that we know supporters are tired of and don't want - rather than looking at ways to improve the quality of the product and to grow the game. I genuinely think that Nines has the potential to be to RL what T20 has been to cricket, but the clubs seem to be willing to ignore this opportunity. Again, this isn't an issue that we need Hearn to fix - the clubs are more than capable with coming up with something more interesting than loop games.

When there are clubs blaming a structure for not being able to sell hospitality, yet those clubs don't even have a web page for their hospitalty offer, I think it's quite symptomatic of the problems that this sport has. Hearn doesn't change any of that.'"

I don't disagree with your oft-repeated point about clubs doing a better job of marketing themselves; they absolutely should, and that would drive an uptick in income through gate receipts, sponsorship, corporate shindigs etc - no doubt about that.

But your focus is too narrow - marketing managers at SL clubs can't be expected to have any meaningful whole-sport effect on broadcast deals, sponsorship, national media profile for players and clubs etc; that's a job that quite rightly sits with a central function - absolutely propped up and underpinned by what individual clubs do - but with a much wider focus on the entire sport. The RFL has singularly failed in that mission - which I guess is why when a big player like Hearn expresses an interest, some people see it as the solution?

49 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
49 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.44580078125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
8m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
Irregular Ho
31m