Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2020Mar 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4157.jpg
:4157.jpg

Quote: AS108 "No, the referee was not rubbish you want him to be to overshadow and deflect from Saints good performance and Cas’ poor one (yes I read your first two sentences). Powell’s exact words were ‘we couldn’t get a decision until the game was gone where we got one or two’. That sums it up for me, sore loser and taking his anger out on the referee. The penalty count was even despite Saints having more ball and Cas had a try incorrectly allowed. Your delusional and completely idiotic if you think the referee was against Cas last night. Cas as a club made themselves look like a laughing stock with the constant moaning about decisions that were correct. Booing after Morgan’s first try summed when Swift was quite clearly not in touch. Pathetic and also sore losers. Learn the rules and shut up would be my advice to Powell and the fans.'"

Saints were great as they have been all year, nobody is trying to deflect from that, at this point they have been far and away the best team, that doesn’t take away from the ref was pathetic and out of his depth FOR BOTH TEAMS !!!! I’d have thought being a saints fan your ego has been massaged enough all year by the sky team but it seems not.

Side note: I (and most other fans I speak to) really don’t care if you or Hull, Leeds, Wigan or Warrington fans think of us, iv been a member on here a long time and up until the last few years all I heard was how it would be great if someone else challenged the status quo and how little Cas were most peoples second team, now we’re tryig to build a winning mentality and are up there we are showing ourselves up as a club, Darryl Powell is the devil and Luke Gale is the most arrogant rugby player ever and last year we only won at home regularly because we our pitch was too small. Funny that isn’t it ? Shove your RL family icon_thumb.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach36091
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10363_1334937642.jpg
SUPPORT SWAG...:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10363.jpg

Quote: Cas Till I Die "Saints played very well...... correct

Our defense resembled 13 drunk men playing the game for the first time...... correct

The referee was rubbish and the standard is pathetic compared to 10 - 20 years ago despite being full
Time and paid more ..... correct.

What’s the problem ???'"

The problem is that apart from Powell and a few Cas fans everyone else thought the ref was ok - what part of this don’t you understand?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach100
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34482.jpg
:34482.jpg

When any coach, player, or anyone else acting in an official capacity criticises a match official for his/her performance in public it diminishes the game as a whole: we all lose. The point of criticism is for the object of that criticism to learn from their mistake - it should happen in private, at a match review session, with all interested parties contributing. That way we stand a chance of attracting more match officials to the sport, and of raising and maintaining a high standard of performance over time. It won’t stop individual below par performances in individual matches; referees are human, like coaches and players. But it will help to minimise the number of times that happens, as well as inculcating a better culture throughout the sport. Coaches have a particular responsibility in this regard. Powell’s sullen interview on Sky was unacceptable, acting directly against the interests of the sport; there are better (and more civilised) ways for him to have made his point.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5035No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2021Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44747_1304271884.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44747.png

Maybe, just maybe he wouldn't have had to resort to making a comment in public if Steve Ganson actually agreed to a meeting once in a while? He's consistently rejected any offer of a meeting to discuss certain decisions/lack of consistency in the game.

When the head of the refs is so up his own backside he doesn't want to hear valid criticism, what are the coaches actually meant to do?

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain175No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

The problem with a coach blaming the ref is that he is giving his players an excuse for losing.

It's not the ref who missed tackles or dropped the ball over the line.

The players should be looking at themselves to sort out their shortcomings but now they can shrug their shoulders as if it wasn't their fault.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9061
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23603_1336678755.jpg
"Look, I'd never use injuries as an excuse..." Daryl Powell:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_23603.jpg

Quote: Gronk! "Maybe, just maybe he wouldn't have had to resort to making a comment in public if Steve Ganson actually agreed to a meeting once in a while? He's consistently rejected any offer of a meeting to discuss certain decisions/lack of consistency in the game.

When the head of the refs is so up his own backside he doesn't want to hear valid criticism, what are the coaches actually meant to do?'"

No idea whether the Ganson allegation is true or not but criticising refs after a win would certainly cut more ice than whining after a defeat - particularly following a TV game where most decisions were shown to be correct. If Powell's aim was to improve standards - which I doubt - he couldn't have picked a worse platform or a worse way to go about it.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member13558No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3357_1596183529.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3357.jpg

Quote: Cas Till I Die "Saints were great as they have been all year, nobody is trying to deflect from that, at this point they have been far and away the best team, that doesn’t take away from the ref was pathetic and out of his depth FOR BOTH TEAMS !!!! I’d have thought being a saints fan your ego has been massaged enough all year by the sky team but it seems not.

Side note: I (and most other fans I speak to) really don’t care if you or Hull, Leeds, Wigan or Warrington fans think of us, iv been a member on here a long time and up until the last few years all I heard was how it would be great if someone else challenged the status quo and how little Cas were most peoples second team, now we’re tryig to build a winning mentality and are up there we are showing ourselves up as a club, Darryl Powell is the devil and Luke Gale is the most arrogant rugby player ever and last year we only won at home regularly because we our pitch was too small. Funny that isn’t it ? Shove your RL family
You need to get rid of the victim mentality.

The problem with you and DP trying to criticise the ref is he really wasn’t bad at all so trying to make out he was bad for both teams is disingenuous. Have you watched the game back?

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1024No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20187 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2020Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Cas Till I Die "Saints were great as they have been all year, nobody is trying to deflect from that, at this point they have been far and away the best team, that doesn’t take away from the ref was pathetic and out of his depth FOR BOTH TEAMS !!!! I’d have thought being a saints fan your ego has been massaged enough all year by the sky team but it seems not.

Side note: I (and most other fans I speak to) really don’t care if you or Hull, Leeds, Wigan or Warrington fans think of us, iv been a member on here a long time and up until the last few years all I heard was how it would be great if someone else challenged the status quo and how little Cas were most peoples second team, now we’re tryig to build a winning mentality and are up there we are showing ourselves up as a club, Darryl Powell is the devil and Luke Gale is the most arrogant rugby player ever and last year we only won at home regularly because we our pitch was too small. Funny that isn’t it ? Shove your RL family

By bringing the referees performance into question Powell is giving an excuse for his players performance and whether you like it or not it takes away from the actual game itself and the performance. I’m not denying that the quality of officiating is poor but RL is a difficult game to referee and it’s being overused. Chris Kendall was good on the whole he got most decisions right and kept the penalty count low, I’m not sure what you’re wanting. The constant criticism of referees after good performances needs to stop, it doesn’t help anyone

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5035No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2021Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44747_1304271884.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44747.png

Quote: Clearwing "No idea whether the Ganson allegation is true or not but criticising refs after a win would certainly cut more ice than whining after a defeat - particularly following a TV game where most decisions were shown to be correct. If Powell's aim was to improve standards - which I doubt - he couldn't have picked a worse platform or a worse way to go about it.'"

He wanted to meet with Ganson last week after the Magic game where it was Kendall. So I really wouldn't be shocked if his problems with Kendall were from previous and something in the Saints game compounded it.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach36091
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10363_1334937642.jpg

Quote: Gronk! "He wanted to meet with Ganson last week after the Magic game where it was Kendall. So I really wouldn't be shocked if his problems with Kendall were from previous and something in the Saints game compounded it.'"

Get over yourselves, jeez

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12097No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Take it as a compliment. Fans of top clubs want to see new challengers but obviously they aren't going to want them to overtake their club are they? If people start to take a dislike to you that generally means you are considered a threat. I have always enjoyed Hull v Cas games anyway, but now that we are both up there and there is a bit more needle it makes them more enjoyable still. A proper meaningful rivalry is developing and the more of those the better.

I don't like the way Powell conducts himself alot of the time. If he isn't complaining about refs he is telling everyone how poor his team were. It seems that complimenting the opposition is really hard for him. Other than that I have no issue with Cas. Some fans got carried away and became a bit arrogant last year, but that's ok, it was a great season. Of all the teams that have a realistic shot at winning anything Cas would still be my second choice if it can't be Hull.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach36091
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10363_1334937642.jpg

Quote: Mr. Zucchini Head "Take it as a compliment. Fans of top clubs want to see new challengers but obviously they aren't going to want them to overtake their club are they? If people start to take a dislike to you that generally means you are considered a threat. I have always enjoyed Hull v Cas games anyway, but now that we are both up there and there is a bit more needle it makes them more enjoyable still. A proper meaningful rivalry is developing and the more of those the better.

I don't like the way Powell conducts himself alot of the time. If he isn't complaining about refs he is telling everyone how poor his team were. It seems that complimenting the opposition is really hard for him. Other than that I have no issue with Cas. Some fans got carried away and became a bit arrogant last year, but that's ok, it was a great season. Of all the teams that have a realistic shot at winning anything Cas would still be my second choice if it can't be Hull.'"

Not sure how relevant your first point was to the actual topic but as a general statement it’s spot on.

When Cas froze in last years GF you could positively feel the combined joy from Leeds, Wigan and Saints fans in general and most especially those who love the status Quo!!! Even better that Cas are not appearing as good as last year which just validate their snobbish opinions.

That’s not fair but as there are numerous reasons for Cas slight dip in form. Hoe er the Ref isn’t one and blaming him makes the whole club look stupid and just reinforces the elitists.

Ditto my own club Trinity - we won’t exactly lay down and die far from it but results have not gone our way and we are on possibly six points less than perhaps we might of been.

If we’d have been Wigan every week would be endless sob stories and brilliantly constructed excuses. We on the other hand have been dismissed as on season wonders who are slowly but surely heading back where we belong and as you say we will become an obscurity soon enough if we don’t change this season around.

That said our results are of our own making, we’ve had some rough calls and some were even game changes but then who doesnt? We need to respond positively as do Cas and I see absolutely nothing positive in what Powell said and imho he let himself down.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator11184
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2332_1524951567.jpg
:DAISY: [size=100:2fjo96hf][i:2fjo96hf]Black 'n' White's Best Female 2006 & Runner Up 2007 & 2008[/i:2fjo96hf][/size:2fjo96hf] :DAISY: "We will not accept a top eight finish as a barometer of supposed success at any point in the future whilst I am the owner of this club", A Pearson 23/09/2011:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2332.jpg

Quote: vastman "When Cas froze in last years GF you could positively feel the combined joy from Leeds, Wigan and Saints fans in general and most especially those who love the status Quo!!! Even better that Cas are not appearing as good as last year which just validate their snobbish opinions.'"

As someone who lives in Cas and was well and truly sick of all the 'Champions' hype including merchandise as shown below, I laughed my 'ickle socks off!!!
RankPostsTeam
Moderator11184
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2332_1524951567.jpg
:DAISY: [size=100:2fjo96hf][i:2fjo96hf]Black 'n' White's Best Female 2006 & Runner Up 2007 & 2008[/i:2fjo96hf][/size:2fjo96hf] :DAISY: "We will not accept a top eight finish as a barometer of supposed success at any point in the future whilst I am the owner of this club", A Pearson 23/09/2011:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2332.jpg

Quote: Cas Till I Die "Saints played very well...... correct

Our defense resembled 13 drunk men playing the game for the first time...... correct

The referee was rubbish and the standard is pathetic compared to 10 - 20 years ago despite being full
Time and paid more ..... correct.

What’s the problem ???'"

The problem is that the highlighted statement is not true. The referee was not rubbish, he actually had a pretty good game with the odd 50/50 decision going against you. That happens. It's a bloody fast game and the ref is only human.

Another point that has been muted on this thread is that Powell can be as angry as he wants regarding the referee, but it should never spill out into the public domain. I might be biased, but Radders is excellent post match regardless of the result and Powell could do with gaining some of that humility.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman27757No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2021May 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34_1430670222.jpg
[url=http://wp.me/p1ImSi-n8:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]An Ode to Sepp Blatter[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=http://wp.me/s1ImSi-dadbod:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]Dadbod[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=http://wp.me/p1ImSi-mK:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]Next In Line To The Throne[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=https://mcclennan.wordpress.com/2014/10/12/st-helens-and-a-fitting-end-to-a-season-of-unsung-heroes/:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]St Helens and a Fitting End to a Season of Unsung Heroes[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=https://twitter.com/cinematicsoul:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]Follow my wisdom on Twitter[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=http://wp.me/p1ImSi-aA:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]Top 100 films of the 00s - The Top 5[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_34.jpg

Quote: vastman "When Cas froze in last years GF you could positively feel the combined joy from Leeds, Wigan and Saints fans in general and most especially those who love the status Quo!!! Even better that Cas are not appearing as good as last year which just validate their snobbish opinions.'"

Not really. Most of the Saints fans I was watching the game were miffed that the Grand Final was a one-sided romp for Leeds so I don't know how you got that impression.

As for Cas' drop in form. I'd suggest that's more to do with other teams improving their efforts e.g. Saints and Warrington. Take those two, with their NRL experienced coaches, out of the equation and Cas would be comfortably top 4. What Holbrook is doing is raising the standard of the game over here, which in turn is exposing the lack of quality coaching within this competition. The success last year was great but it was tied in with a competition which has been stagnating since Maguire left Wigan at the end of 2011. Now that coaching quality is rising again, so it becomes harder to compete.

81 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
81 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.14501953125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Questions for Ste Mills
Little willy
13m
Film game
Boss Hog
17m