FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > Why has RL never taken off in Manchester and Liverpool?
111 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
Moderator5874
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
66556_1331046115.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_66556.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "There is interest in RL in Manchester and Liverpool, There are 9 ostensibly professional clubs within an hours drive of Liverpool. That Liverpool and Manchester arent looked at as RL cities highlights how the yoke of parochialism has kept these clubs from expanding outside their own little fiefdoms.'"

No it doesn't, the only thing that it highlights is that there is not enough interest in either of these cities

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: Uncle Rico "No it doesn't, the only thing that it highlights is that there is not enough interest in either of these cities'"

Hence there being 9 professional RL clubs in those areas.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2418No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
74893_1459005583.jpg
snaivooladniv eht fo thgim eht eraweb:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_74893.jpg

So RL has succeeded in Manchester and Liverpool , just that no club has ever taken their name , bit like London football

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: GUBRATS "So RL has succeeded in Manchester and Liverpool , just that no club has ever taken their name , bit like London football'"

If all london football clubs were beset by problems brought on by their parochial inability to expand outside of their own small areas, yes.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4159No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2019Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1602.jpg
Sad preacher nailed upon the coloured door of time; Insane teacher be there reminded of the rhyme. There'll be no mutant enemy we shall certify; Political ends, as sad remains, will die.:1602.jpg

I work in a big office in Stockport twhich is JUST outside Manchester: over 300 work here and all know of my RL love. Two (yes, two) other occasionally attend matches. Most could not name any RL teams apart from Wigan. Yet the constant conversation is of soccer.
The train from Rochdale to Manchester is similar: endless chat about the football game on last night and odd snide comments about the egg-chaser (me).

Most common question: what's the difference between Union and League.

Simply, at the moment, the interest is not here.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member28357
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
973_1515165968.gif
Last edited by Ferocious Aardvark on stardate Jun 26, 3013 11:27 am, edited 48,562,867,458,300,023 times in total:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_973.gif

All this historical stuff and talks of "soccer cities" is very interesting an' all, but the fact is simple: nobody with a desire to run a RL club there rich enough to start one exists. It would fly, if you threw enough money at it, but at present there's no-one that will.

If the Toronto guy was based in Liverpool, for example, and not Toronto, he is the sort of guy (and his backers) who could do it. You just need the desire, vision, balls and resources.

RankPostsTeam
International Star8
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
PDT_AquaTV/pdt-2-28.gif
:PDT_AquaTV/pdt-2-28.gif

Quote: Ferocious Aardvark "All this historical stuff and talks of "soccer cities" is very interesting an' all, but the fact is simple

And fans to attend the games and watch on TV.

Unfortunately they're a bit thin on the ground in Liverpool and Manchester.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator5874
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
66556_1331046115.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "Hence there being 9 professional RL clubs in those areas.'"

Areas v cities make your mind up I thought your point was aimed at the two cities called Manchester and Liverpool? As far as I understand it none of these 9 teams are located in these cities

RankPostsTeam
Moderator5874
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
66556_1331046115.jpg

Quote: Hillbilly_Red "I work in a big office in Stockport twhich is JUST outside Manchester

Pretty much spot on HR and from my experience, home town support Warrington, lived most of my life IN Salford and work in Manchester, the only appetite for RL I come across in Manchester is from similar people, not your 'average' Mancunian.

A guy in our office lives in the trendy suburb of Chorlton and follows RL as he's originally from Wigan, not because he's based an hour's drive from Wigan or half an hour from Salford (both outside the city of Manchester as you know).

I suspect Liverpool would paint a similar story

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Uncle Rico "Areas v cities make your mind up I thought your point was aimed at the two cities called Manchester and Liverpool? As far as I understand it none of these 9 teams are located in these cities'"

This is the parochialism I was talking about.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator5874
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
66556_1331046115.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "This is the parochialism I was talking about.'"

I wasn't saying that a parochial approach doesn't hamper development RL in the two cities, by definition it must. However, I was suggesting that the greater obstacle was a lack of interest in these two cities.

In other words, there's nothing in it for these poor, parochial souls to unburden themselves of their yokes and expand into these cities, although it depends on what you mean by expanding...?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Uncle Rico "I wasn't saying that a parochial approach doesn't hamper development RL in the two cities, by definition it must. However, I was suggesting that the greater obstacle was a lack of interest in these two cities.

In other words, there's nothing in it for these poor, parochial souls to unburden themselves of their yokes and expand into these cities, although it depends on what you mean by expanding...?'"

Man Utd aren't in Manchester. But they don't hesitate to sell themselves in Manchester. They don't look at Trafford as their fiefdom. They will go in to Salford, Bolton, Wigan, Stockport, Cheshire, Bury (and much much further)

RL clubs are locked in to a view that Salford sell in Salford and that certain parts of Wigan is for Wigan and certain parts are for Leigh yet there are 200k+ people in Bolton next door where we aren't making in roads, there are people in Stockport and Bury and Trafford and Manchester where we don't make in roads. There are 2.5 million people in greater Manchester and we have clubs fighting for the same couple of thousand fans.

I'm not saying it's just those areas, there are 2.2m people in west Yorkshire and we have Wakefield and Cas fighting over the same 100k market. On other threads we have people arguing over whether Rothwell and Wetherby are 'really Leeds' and whether they're fighting with cas and Wakefield for the fans in garforth. There are people who complain that Leeds advertise in beeston or holbeck because South of the river is hunslet territory.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator5874
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
66556_1331046115.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "Man Utd aren't in Manchester. But they don't hesitate to sell themselves in Manchester. They don't look at Trafford as their fiefdom. They will go in to Salford, Bolton, Wigan, Stockport, Cheshire, Bury (and much much further)

RL clubs are locked in to a view that Salford sell in Salford and that certain parts of Wigan is for Wigan and certain parts are for Leigh yet there are 200k+ people in Bolton next door where we aren't making in roads, there are people in Stockport and Bury and Trafford and Manchester where we don't make in roads. There are 2.5 million people in greater Manchester and we have clubs fighting for the same couple of thousand fans.

I'm not saying it's just those areas, there are 2.2m people in west Yorkshire and we have Wakefield and Cas fighting over the same 100k market. On other threads we have people arguing over whether Rothwell and Wetherby are 'really Leeds' and whether they're fighting with cas and Wakefield for the fans in garforth. There are people who complain that Leeds advertise in beeston or holbeck because South of the river is hunslet territory.'"

I agree that clubs should expand their marketing territory, or rather not be restricted by it, but, there will be limited value to it as there isn't the interest, or are pointing the finger at say Saints and Widnes for a lack of RL interest in Liverpool? Maybe they should relocate to the city test that interest, take a chance on alienating their core business for a 'golden shot' at the big time? It's about budget, time and effort for tangible rewards and I don't think that the rewards are there, or the budget.

Yes, Manchester United a team that was based in Manchester and moved to Trafford....admittedly a successful model, but, not really fair comparative, given that they attract an average attendance equivalent to the whole of SL. In a significantly more high profile sport, they aren't even a fair comparison to the vast majority of worldwide football clubs. In reality, I don't think that Manchester United market themselves with an emphasis on the Manchester, they've gone beyond that and probably why they are a success in Trafford and far flung places like China

RankPostsTeam
International Star8
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
PDT_AquaTV/pdt-2-28.gif
:PDT_AquaTV/pdt-2-28.gif

Quote: SmokeyTA "Man Utd aren't in Manchester. But they don't hesitate to sell themselves in Manchester. They don't look at Trafford as their fiefdom. They will go in to Salford, Bolton, Wigan, Stockport, Cheshire, Bury (and much much further)

I'm not saying it's just those areas, there are 2.2m people in west Yorkshire and we have Wakefield and Cas fighting over the same 100k market. On other threads we have people arguing over whether Rothwell and Wetherby are 'really Leeds' and whether they're fighting with cas and Wakefield for the fans in garforth. There are people who complain that Leeds advertise in beeston or holbeck because South of the river is hunslet territory.'"

Interesting post this.

I'm from Bolton and from a non-playing background, from a family that also never played or followed any RL team (no rugby of any code was played competitively in Bolton schools during my time due to an accident in a scrum that left a boy with a very bad neck injury).

My point of contact with the sport was 1980's televised Challenge Cup finals and the era just before Wigan's dominance of them. We also had a school visit from Des Drummond while he was at Leigh which was the only sporting professional of any kind to visit our schools.

Unfortunately it didn't turn me overnight into a fully fledged Leigh fan, but I've maintained an interest in them ever since and have seen them play a dozen or so times. I could never get behind Salford who I equate to being not only a Manchester team (there's a lot of civic rivalry between proud Boltonians and Mancunians), but specifically a Manchester United associated team.

There are a lot of Wigan fans in north Bolton and thanks to one I got an introduction to going to St Helens-Wigan derby matches at Central Park in the early 90's where to their dismay I nailed my colours to St Helens mast as I couldn't stand Wigan's dominance of the sport.

As an adult and someone from a non-heartland the things I love about RL are the fact that it's a summer sport, the tickets are easy to get hold of compared to soccer and following your team home and away (with the notable exception of one or two teams) is easily done again compared to soccer and the media coverage hasn't reached saturation point like soccer.

My main criticisms are the idea that liking RL is somehow incompatible with liking other sports, the incessant gimmickry, changes by the governing body to competition structures, the idea that traditional clubs should be allowed to wither on the vine - why throw away so much history?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12389.gif
:12389.gif

Quote: SmokeyTA "Man Utd aren't in Manchester. But they don't hesitate to sell themselves in Manchester. They don't look at Trafford as their fiefdom. They will go in to Salford, Bolton, Wigan, Stockport, Cheshire, Bury (and much much further)'"

I've lived in Manchester most of my life and rarely do United 'sell themselves' around here, except a few campaigns in the MEN and the Tevez billboard. They don't generally need to (unless the occasional European game is selling short). Their sponsors, 'partners' and the media will do it for them.

I have, however, seen Salford marketing themselves far and wide, especially since Koukash took the helm. It's certainly not true to say they sell only in Salford. Far from it - they've targeted a wide catchment and are active on the radio, in local press and via other means including social media and mailshots.

For all practical purposes, 'Manchester' is the area within and bordering the M60 (sorry, Salford); the defined borders mean very little in reality. Except for a small hardcore in the Salford and Swinton area there is almost no interest in the game. A scattered passing interest, perhaps, but not much. Football areas are football areas and you haven't a cat in hell's chance of breaking in. But then there are other demographics people forget. A huge Jewish community in North Manchester. Enormous Asian (and other immigrant) communities in more areas than I can probably name. The large Afro-Caribbean community centred around Moss Side. A massive student population, many hailing from non-RL areas and many of whom remain in Manchester to live & work after university. Then there are areas such as Wythenshawe...though the less said about those the better. So there you have huge swathes of the population with - again, for all practical purposes - absolutely no interest in or indeed awareness of the game. The 'traditional' RL audience in Manchester is limited, so new inroads need to be found.

It has to start in the schools but that's a challenge in itself. A friend of mine coaches sport at a college nearby. He's a football man but also loves RL and when the Head of Sport decided the college would coach and play RU, it was simply due to funding and support from the RFU, who send development officers into colleges to help out. Some of the Sport England funding would do well bringing back the RFL development officers of a few years ago who were doing similar and making some strong inroads, including converting the school the Bury Broncos had moved to. Invest, invest and invest in get kids playing throughout their school lives and you have players and fans at the ready. Then you can start to think about cracking big cities who frankly don't care about RL.

111 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
111 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.986328125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Round 16 London Home
Broadacres
4m
Leeds
Benny Profan
10m
Reserves
BigTime
18m
TV games not Wire
karetaker
23m
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
25m
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
29m
Rumours thread
FOREVERTRIN
32m
Lucky Leeds Golden Point Win Over the Broncos
RLFANS News
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
TV Games - Not Hull
Jake the Peg
36s
The NRL Thread
YosemiteSam
49s
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
Trebor1
51s
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
59s
Jayden Okunbor
bonaire
1m
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Huddersfield Home
Wanderer
1m
Leigh h
apollosghost
1m
Surely its all over now for Watson
Jo Jumbuck
1m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
KaeruJim
1m
Rumours thread
FOREVERTRIN
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Lucky Leeds Golden Point Win Over the Broncos
RLFANS News
TODAY
Prettys Girls in your city for night
jackmac452
TODAY
Vegas Baby
Jason65
TODAY
Wigan Beat Leigh in Derby Thriller
RLFANS News
TODAY
Reserves
BigTime
TODAY
Tonights game v Giants
karetaker
TODAY
Free parking
Philth
TODAY
Salford Away Travel Information
LancashireRe
TODAY
Batley next
Kettykat
TODAY
Round 16 London Home
Broadacres
TODAY
Leeds
Benny Profan
TODAY
Injuries and available cover
walter wall
TODAY
Problems with this Site continued
karetaker
TODAY
3 clubs apply to join League 1
Huddersfield
TODAY
Sadly one less Bronco
nkpom
TODAY
Fan Village
[Gareth]
TODAY
The Seagulls v The Panthers
terry silver
TODAY
Las Vegas 2025 English ladies involved
Huddersfield
TODAY
New halfback signing
Pyrah123
TODAY
Batley Bulldogs H
Dr Dreadnoug
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Cokey
TODAY
Best Wigan Tour Team
MattyB
TODAY
Josh Bowden
Dr Dreadnoug
TODAY
Squad for Giants
Smiffy27
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Lucky Leeds Golden Point Win O..
Wigan Beat Leigh in Derby Thri..
Wakefield Trinity Register Thi..
Englands Youngsters Beat Franc..
Big Win for England Women Over..
2024 State of Origin - Game 2 ..
New Structure for 2025 Challen..
Super League form rewarded as ..
Superb Salford Complete Histor..
Catalans Dragons Survive Secon..
Warrington Wolves Snatch Late ..
Spirit of Rob Burrow Inspires ..
Hull KR Drop Goal Secures Win ..
St Helens Break Fifty As They ..
Leigh Leopards Resurgence Clai..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.6M +23,464 ↓-8380,08514,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R18
 FT
Hover 
Canterbury
13-12
NZ Warriors
 FT
Hover 
Wests
28-40
Melbourne
 FT
Hover 
NQL Cowboys
20-22
Manly
     Womens Super League 2024-R7
 FT 
LeedsW
6-16
St.HelensW
 FT 
FeatherstoneW
0-50
WiganW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R16
 FT 
Leeds
17-16
LondonB
       Championship 2024-R14
17:00
Toulouse
v
Bradford
17:30
Hull KR
v
Catalans
 TOMORROW
     National Rugby League 2024-R18
05:00
Sydney
v
St.George
07:05
Canberra
v
Newcastle
     Womens Super League 2024-R7
12:00
Wire W
v
Hudds W
12:00
York V
v
BarrowW
       League One 2024-R14
14:00
Newcastle
v
Workington
14:30
Crusaders
v
Midlands
15:00
Salford
v
Hull FC
       Championship 2024-R14
Dewsbury
v
Doncaster
Featherstone
v
Whitehaven
Swinton
v
Widnes
Wakefield
v
Batley
York
v
Barrow
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sat 6th Jul
SL
Hull KR-Catalans
SL
Leeds17-16LondonB
Sun 7th Jul
SL
Salford-Hull FC
Fri 12th Jul
SL
20:00
LondonB-Castleford
SL
Warrington-Leeds
SL
Warrington-St.Helens
Sat 13th Jul
SL
Hull FC-Hull KR
SL
00:00
Leigh-Huddersfield
SL
Catalans-Salford
Wed 17th Jul
SOO
11:05
Queensland-New South Wales
Sat 17th Aug
SL
18:00
Warrington-Leeds
SL
15:30
Wigan-St.Helens
SL
13:00
Hull FC-LondonB
Sun 18th Aug
SL
13:00
Leigh-Salford
SL
15:30
Catalans-Hull KR
SL
18:00
Huddersfield-Castleford
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 6th Jul
NRL
LIVE
Canterbury13-12NZ Warriors
NRL
LIVE
Wests28-40Melbourne
NRL
LIVE
NQL Cowboys20-22Manly
SL
LIVE
Leeds17-16LondonB
WSL2024
LIVE
LeedsW6-16St.HelensW
WSL2024
LIVE
FeatherstoneW0-50WiganW
Fri 5th Jul
NRL 18 Cronulla16-20Gold Coast
NRL 18 Brisbane6-14Penrith
SL 16 St.Helens6-8Castleford
SL 16 Warrington48-0Huddersfield
SL 16 Wigan24-6Leigh
CH 14 Sheffield28-0Halifax
Thu 4th Jul
NRL 18 Parramatta16-32Souths
Sun 30th Jun
CH 13 Barrow0-36Wakefield
CH 13 Dewsbury12-38Bradford
CH 13 Halifax38-18Whitehaven
CH 13 Widnes16-24Batley
CH 13 York10-18Sheffield
L1 13 Cornwall10-16Crusaders
L1 13 Newcastle10-44Midlands
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 15 427 170 257 26
St.Helens 16 429 170 259 22
Warrington 16 406 213 193 22
Hull KR 15 383 201 182 22
Salford 15 295 288 7 20
Catalans 15 288 220 68 18

Leeds 16 291 286 5 18
Huddersfield 16 298 365 -67 12
Leigh 15 270 250 20 11
Castleford 16 246 435 -189 9
Hull FC 15 198 474 -276 4
LondonB 16 156 615 -459 2
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 13 486 142 344 26
Sheffield 14 382 217 165 22
Bradford 13 341 218 123 18
Toulouse 12 332 174 158 16
Widnes 13 315 245 70 15
Featherstone 13 330 283 47 12

Batley 13 205 286 -81 12
Doncaster 13 237 325 -88 11
York 14 285 293 -8 10
Whitehaven 13 266 358 -92 10