FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > Why is Union more popular ?
48 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
International Star17932
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif
:simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: Lebron James "Not saying you are wrong but I would love to see some stats to back up your claim about participation numbers in Lancashire and Yorkshire given that in Lancashire for example, the rugby league clubs are centred around heartland towns like Wigan, St. Helens etc yet pretty much every town or village in Lancashire has a rugby union team, with a first, second and third team,with a youth set up. I would go out on a limb and say that there are more union players in Lancashire than league, by a huge margin

Regards

King James'"

My lad played Union as a junior for around 10 years and the distance they had to travel to get a game was an indication of just how sp Union is in the area, although as you say, there are some decent clubs, with teams playing through the age groups.
However, League has the same and there are far more clubs playing league in this area.
Thankfully he is now playing League at Uni and enjoying playing far more than he enjoyed Union.

As someone who played across the back line in Union, he tells me that involvement if far more intense and enjoyment levels are far greater.

Nobody can deny that nationally, Union is the "bigger" game and of course, it's also played across Scotland and Wales and as League will never be as popular Nationally.
However, in the Heartlands, it's still more popular than Union.

We have to remember that, but, for the arrogant and demeaning attitudes in Union at the end of the 19th Century, League would not exist, so for that, we should be grateful.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1946No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2018Oct 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[b:3w2ur1db]Superleague Titles[/b:3w2ur1db] Warrington Wolfs - 0 Wakefield Trinity - 0 Leigh Centurions - 0 [quote="Budgiezilla":3w2ur1db]Surely it can only be a player from Catalans. Probably the best RL side I have ever witnessed in this season's comp.[/quote:3w2ur1db]:

Quote: wrencat1873 "My lad played Union as a junior for around 10 years and the distance they had to travel to get a game was an indication of just how sp Union is in the area, although as you say, there are some decent clubs, with teams playing through the age groups.
However, League has the same and there are far more clubs playing league in this area.
Thankfully he is now playing League at Uni and enjoying playing far more than he enjoyed Union.

As someone who played across the back line in Union, he tells me that involvement if far more intense and enjoyment levels are far greater.

Nobody can deny that nationally, Union is the "bigger" game and of course, it's also played across Scotland and Wales and as League will never be as popular Nationally.
However, in the Heartlands, it's still more popular than Union.

We have to remember that, but, for the arrogant and demeaning attitudes in Union at the end of the 19th Century, League would not exist, so for that, we should be grateful.'"

There are 17 union leagues in the north west compared to, what, 5 in league? My local union club has acually linked up with my local league club and some union players now play for them in the offseason and vice versa and both sets of players enjoy playing the other code. But yes, I can see your sons point as a backrower from the union side, played centre for the league side and couldnt believe how tired he was after 60 minutes!

Regards

King James

RankPostsTeam
International Star865
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2018Dec 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: ian6227 "I am aware of the origins of RL, I suppose what I want to know is why Local Authority Schools during the 60s and 70s didn't allow League to be played in the heartland of the game ( northwest in my case ).'"

It was similar in Hull in the 70's RL was very strong at Junior High level but none existent in High School. The only alternative to football was yawnion which was deservedly unpopular so that always struggled for numbers, so usually neither ended up being played. I don't think the local authority banned RL but on the other hand they didn't direct the sports teachers to provide what the pupils wanted so good old yawnion prejudice was allowed to run rampant. New Zealand is the only country in the world where RU is genuinely popular and earns its widespread coverage. In Aus yawnion is thankfully slipping to a distant 4th in terms of interest in the football codes but even so gets inflated coverage and sponsorship in proportion to its numbers thanks to their old boy private school network.

It is tough times for RL here but I would like the governing body to make a much stronger effort to promote the game in schools. It has to be done centrally as I'm not sure that you can just rely on the clubs as they have understandably slightly different aims and there are opportunities for the more unscrupulous to ride on the effort of others.

The real danger to RL would be if yawnion ever became entertaining - fortunately tedious penalty kicking competitions remain the norm in the UK.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4961
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2334_1318529805.png
There's Only One F in Wakefield:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2334.png

It's pointless comparing the 2 codes in terms of popularity. I still can't work out how people can prefer that code to ours but given the resources and the fact that they have all the household names now, I can see why it has become more registered in the nation psyche.

I've just come to accept that RL entertains me beyond any other sport and other people like watching golf on the TV. Puzzling, but just have to accept it and move on. I do try and recruit people for League though and do people's heads in a bit at work by mentioning whats going on in RL when we are having a footy conversation.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7392No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Jul 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20337_1416501684.jpg
Mac out!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_20337.jpg

Quote: "RL is THE toughest team sport you can play , however in our H and S concious world we must remove some of the less attractive parts of the game'"

How do you define toughest? Im sure the Canadians would argue Ice hockey is 'tough' whatever that means.

Do mothers want there kids to play tough sports, with fights, head shots,..........?

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2418No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
74893_1459005583.jpg
snaivooladniv eht fo thgim eht eraweb:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_74893.jpg

Quote: wire-quin "How do you define toughest? Im sure the Canadians would argue Ice hockey is 'tough' whatever that means.

Do mothers want there kids to play tough sports, with fights, head shots,..........?'"

Seriously ? , with the amount of padding they wear they struggle to lift their arms up to head hight , it takes a couple of minutes for them to take off their gloves and helmets

As for tough , from a physical contact point of view , simple as , it is a basic part of the game , every set will contain 5 actual impacts at the very least , what we must make every effort to achieve is that those impacts be it in junior,senior amateur or proffessional are restricted to the body as per the rules , no bouncing off the shoulder , no late shots and also no ducking under tackles ( I'm talking to you here Rob )

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain60No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2022Jun 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Bullseye "Union is marketed better. Has far more money behind it to ensure it’s played across the UK. Facilities in clubs are better than their league counterparts. Has a far better international setup. Administration is far better organised. Game has friends in high places as it’s a game played in all the private schools, grammar schools, universities etc. It benefits from more extensive sympathetic and detailed media coverage. Need I go on?'"

Nailed it an all points.

The International game is a big draw to the passing punter. Love it or hate it (personally I love it), the 6 nations annually raises union to a level that League can't get to in terms of TV coverage, and national interest. If League catches on within the USA and Canada over the next 10 years, then I guess there could be potential for a Northern Hemisphere version to try and rival that. But even if it does, it still needs to overcome a biased southern based media.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7392No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Jul 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20337_1416501684.jpg
Mac out!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_20337.jpg

Quote: "Seriously ? , with the amount of padding they wear they struggle to lift their arms up to head hight , it takes a couple of minutes for them to take off their gloves and helmets

As for tough , from a physical contact point of view , simple as , it is a basic part of the game , every set will contain 5 actual impacts at the very least , what we must make every effort to achieve is that those impacts be it in junior,senior amateur or proffessional are restricted to the body as per the rules , no bouncing off the shoulder , no late shots and also no ducking under tackles ( I'm talking to you here Rob )'"

Only a 'girly' softies sport would ban shoulder barges and punching. I dread to think what parents would think if you then armed the players with sticks and put hard protection around the side to shoulder barge players into, and then throw a rock hard object onto the ground to smash round. icon_wink.gif But I understand League is the toughest team sport.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain189
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017Jul 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

don't there is a magic formula but some of the component parts are

Union has always valued internationals and representative rugby over club rugby...
Union saturation around London as the only form of 'rugby' there at all until the 1980s
Union saturation across all 'establishment' vehicles... until 1995
League has the biggest 'working class' chip on its shoulder I have ever seen
We in league are grudgingly welcoming of new incumbents to the game AND are quick to attack and criticise
The growth of the Union World cup concept
The majority of people in the sporting world still have no idea there are two sports with the same name
Former players from Union tend to sound educated and literate... many former league players come across less so...
leagues ability to interpret a full glass as half full... a half full glass as half empty and a half empty glass as spilled with broken splinters of glass everywhere and the whole world pointing and laughing!

lets stop comparing and enjoy what we have.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach6035No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2018Dec 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11371.gif
:11371.gif

Surely the reason Union is 'more popular' is simply because when RL was formed it was as a pro league based on a very small geographical area in a place where union already had a significant amateur set up. So RL was basically a pro sport in Lancs/Yorks, RU is a national sport played also in Lancs/Yorks at an amateur and school level. RL was never going to catch up with that head start when it never really tried to in it's early years. RU is still big in Lancs/Yorks at every level but pro. Which is why I laugh when my southern mates refer to RL as 'you' and RU as 'us' on a north/south basis when in reality RU is a truly national game and popular in the north of England AND everywhere else. The popularity of sports on a national basis has almost nothing to do with it's entertainment value no matter what people think.

It's just a quirk of history and no amount of 'marketing' or skilful 'administration' can change the mindset of a nation, football codes strength in the market places was formed a LONG time ago .

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4159No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2019Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1602.jpg
Sad preacher nailed upon the coloured door of time; Insane teacher be there reminded of the rhyme. There'll be no mutant enemy we shall certify; Political ends, as sad remains, will die.:1602.jpg

I've worked in my current job for nearly 10 years and, although everyone knows I'm a Salford fan, I still have large numbers assuming all rugby is the same. I do not work in Bath or Leicester but Stockport.
Our marketing hereabouts is poor. There was a groundswell of dislike to Sale when they were up the road and we ignored it. I'm waiting for remarks about the 6 nations.

If we take the coming internationals and compare them to our 4 nations of only a few months ago; for me that was a huge own goal. Even committed RU fans with a interst in RL wouldn't watch s they saw Australia so dominant and the other three as "making up the numbers". Why watch a 3rd rate team take on a team who will not break sweat in beating them?

A few other points won them so many competitions is being replaced with a more open Australian/French type game which does have TV audiences watching.

We had a opening in the late '80s but did not use it. Oh well, there's alays crown green ... oh here we go again.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain77
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
75232_1552394730.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_75232.jpg

Quote: Bullseye "Union is marketed better. Has far more money behind it to ensure it’s played across the UK. Facilities in clubs are better than their league counterparts. Has a far better international setup. Administration is far better organised. Game has friends in high places as it’s a game played in all the private schools, grammar schools, universities etc. It benefits from more extensive sympathetic and detailed media coverage. Need I go on?'"

You have hit the nail on the head.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain6902
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73643_1666630451.jpeg
[img:v6cgff03]http://s26.postimg.org/9xie34xyh/leigh1.png[/img:v6cgff03]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_73643.jpeg

Well if you don't have anybody capable of teaching RL in schools,simply because the teachers academic value is one of Union,how do you actually push RL in schools these days?

Are we to say that the only sport a Games Teacher knows is Union? Possibly Lacrosse also..

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4159No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2019Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1602.jpg
Sad preacher nailed upon the coloured door of time; Insane teacher be there reminded of the rhyme. There'll be no mutant enemy we shall certify; Political ends, as sad remains, will die.:1602.jpg

Apart from Mr Larder, from memory, all the teachers in Oldham in the late 70's/80's were union players or trained(or interested football coaches) but most ran very capable RL teams.

We forget that Rugby league, though a passion to many on here, is one of a large set of choices of entertainment. It's a crowded market out there and we still display the image of the handcart selling hotdogs whilst football and Union are now the designer clothing booths. It's not easy to shake the image off but it can be done... football's image in the early 80's stank and look at it now.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator5872
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
66556_1331046115.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_66556.jpg

Quote: Hillbilly_Red "Apart from Mr Larder, from memory, all the teachers in Oldham in the late 70's/80's were union players or trained(or interested football coaches) but most ran very capable RL teams.

We forget that Rugby league, though a passion to many on here, is one of a large set of choices of entertainment. It's a crowded market out there and we still display the image of the handcart selling hotdogs whilst football and Union are now the designer clothing booths. It's not easy to shake the image off but it can be done... football's image in the early 80's stank and look at it now.'"

Good point about teachers I went to an RU school in Salford in the 70's and had the 'pleasure' of being reffed by the one eyed Fran Cotton an RU star who's da played RL I think was a teacher or coach at Leigh GS? Your own Keith Fielding was a teacher at Marple High School as well as being a Superstar

48 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
48 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.16845703125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Salford - Away
bonaire
1m
Leeds
RfE
6m
Jayden Okunbor
bonaire
8m
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Huddersfield Home
karetaker
9m
The Seagulls v The Panthers
Ilkley Fax
13m
Problems with this Site continued
karetaker
15m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
ArthurClues
27m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
chapylad
28m
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Week 16
steamy
39m
Round 16 London Home
chapylad
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Jayden Okunbor
bonaire
1m
Leeds
RfE
1m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
1m
Ilkley Fax
1m
Injuries and available cover
Ellam
1m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
Hasbag
1m
Squad for Giants
Or thane
2m
Lee Briers
Bobby Digita
2m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
chapylad
2m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
ArthurClues
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Salford Away Travel Information
LancashireRe
TODAY
Batley next
Kettykat
TODAY
Round 16 London Home
chapylad
TODAY
Leeds
RfE
TODAY
Injuries and available cover
Ellam
TODAY
Problems with this Site continued
karetaker
TODAY
3 clubs apply to join League 1
Huddersfield
TODAY
Sadly one less Bronco
nkpom
TODAY
Fan Village
[Gareth]
TODAY
Ilkley Fax
TODAY
Las Vegas 2025 English ladies involved
Huddersfield
TODAY
New halfback signing
Pyrah123
TODAY
Batley Bulldogs H
Dr Dreadnoug
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Cokey
TODAY
Best Wigan Tour Team
MattyB
TODAY
Josh Bowden
Dr Dreadnoug
TODAY
Squad for Giants
Or thane
TODAY
Leigh h
Zig
TODAY
Meadows
BigTime
TODAY
July games
financialtim
TODAY
Salford - Away
bonaire
TODAY
Dons v Toulouse - Saturday 10 August 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
Toulouse A
Benji13
TODAY
IMG scores
poplar cats
TODAY
Nathan Mason
MicktheGled
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Huddersfield Home
karetaker
TODAY
Half Time Report
Trojan Horse
TODAY
Dewsbury v Dons Sunday 7/7/24 3pm
Kick and cha
TODAY
Our next 2 meetings
H.G.S.A
TODAY
Lee Briers
Bobby Digita
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Wakefield Trinity Register Thi..
Englands Youngsters Beat Franc..
Big Win for England Women Over..
2024 State of Origin - Game 2 ..
New Structure for 2025 Challen..
Super League form rewarded as ..
Superb Salford Complete Histor..
Catalans Dragons Survive Secon..
Warrington Wolves Snatch Late ..
Spirit of Rob Burrow Inspires ..
Hull KR Drop Goal Secures Win ..
St Helens Break Fifty As They ..
Leigh Leopards Resurgence Clai..
Hull FC Get Second Win By Beat..
Super Salford First Half Slays..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.6M +23,063 ↑9280,08514,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R18
09:00
Cronulla
v
Gold Coast
11:00
Brisbane
v
Penrith
       Championship 2024-R14
19:30
Sheffield
v
Halifax
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R16
20:00
St.Helens
v
Castleford
Warrington
v
Huddersfield
Wigan
v
Leigh
 TOMORROW
06:00
Canterbury
v
NZ Warriors
08:30
Wests
v
Melbourne
10:35
NQL Cowboys
v
Manly
     Womens Super League 2024-R7
12:30
LeedsW
v
St.HelensW
14:00
FeatherstoneW
v
WiganW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R16
15:00
Leeds
v
LondonB
17:30
Hull KR
v
Catalans
       Championship 2024-R14
18:00
Toulouse
v
Bradford
 Sun 7th Jul
05:00
Sydney
v
St.George
07:05
Canberra
v
Newcastle
     Womens Super League 2024-R7
12:00
Wire W
v
Hudds W
12:00
York V
v
BarrowW
       League One 2024-R14
14:00
Newcastle
v
Workington
14:30
Crusaders
v
Midlands
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 5th Jul
SL
St.Helens-Castleford
SL
Warrington-Huddersfield
SL
Wigan-Leigh
Sat 6th Jul
SL
Hull KR-Catalans
SL
Leeds-LondonB
Sun 7th Jul
SL
Salford-Hull FC
Fri 12th Jul
SL
LondonB-Castleford
SL
Warrington-Leeds
SL
Warrington-St.Helens
Sat 13th Jul
SL
Hull FC-Hull KR
SL
00:00
Leigh-Huddersfield
SL
Catalans-Salford
Wed 17th Jul
SOO
11:05
Queensland-New South Wales
Sat 17th Aug
SL
Warrington-Leeds
SL
15:30
Wigan-St.Helens
SL
13:00
Hull FC-LondonB
Sun 18th Aug
SL
13:00
Leigh-Salford
SL
15:30
Catalans-Hull KR
SL
Huddersfield-Castleford
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Thu 4th Jul
NRL 18 Parramatta16-32Souths
Sun 30th Jun
CH 13 Barrow0-36Wakefield
CH 13 Dewsbury12-38Bradford
CH 13 Halifax38-18Whitehaven
CH 13 Widnes16-24Batley
CH 13 York10-18Sheffield
L1 13 Cornwall10-16Crusaders
L1 13 Newcastle10-44Midlands
L1 13 Oldham30-6Hunslet
L1 13 Workington18-37Keighley
NRL 17 St.George26-6Dolphins
NRL 17 Penrith6-16NQL Cowboys
NRL 17 Sydney40-6Wests
Sat 29th Jun
CH 13 Toulouse20-0Featherstone
CH 13 Doncaster18-8Swinton
NRL 17 NZ Warriors32-16Brisbane
NRL 17 Newcastle34-26Parramatta
NRL 17 Melbourne16-6Canberra
MINT2024 1 France M8-40England M
WINT2024 1 FRANCE W0-42ENGLAND W
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 14 403 164 239 24
St.Helens 15 423 162 261 22
Hull KR 15 383 201 182 22
Warrington 15 358 213 145 20
Salford 15 295 288 7 20
Catalans 15 288 220 68 18

Leeds 15 274 270 4 16
Huddersfield 15 298 317 -19 12
Leigh 14 264 226 38 11
Castleford 15 238 429 -191 7
Hull FC 15 198 474 -276 4
LondonB 15 140 598 -458 2
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 13 486 142 344 26
Sheffield 13 354 217 137 20
Bradford 13 341 218 123 18
Toulouse 12 332 174 158 16
Widnes 13 315 245 70 15
Featherstone 13 330 283 47 12

Batley 13 205 286 -81 12
Doncaster 13 237 325 -88 11
York 14 285 293 -8 10
Whitehaven 13 266 358 -92 10