FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > Penalties for bad business in 2014 to secure 2015?
71 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman14145No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45_1302643626.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45.jpg

Oh, and notice how the derision and the straw men start putting in increasing appearances, when they can't refute the arguments?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2990
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: SmokeyTA "There are two ways of looking at it.

This is a new company, in which case you have to ask, other than being new, what are we punishing for?

Or this is a continuation of the old club, in which case why are we trying to punish a struggling club for struggling, and why is our solution to a club struggling to punish it, make it harder for it to recover and deter new investors from it.

None of these punishments make any sense if our aim is for a club to recover and fulfil its potential.'"

I see it as a continuation of the club and its actions taken have to have consequences.If the club has potential,punishing it doesnt remove that potential,its still there,just may take longer to realise.
I dont really see that the game has any option but to punish clubs,particularly in cases of insolvency.Although i dont see the point of a financial penalty,points deduction only.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45_1302643626.jpg

Quote: TURFEDOUT "I see it as a continuation of the club and its actions taken have to have consequences.If the club has potential,punishing it doesnt remove that potential,its still there,just may take longer to realise.
I dont really see that the game has any option but to punish clubs,particularly in cases of insolvency.Although i dont see the point of a financial penalty,points deduction only.'"

Would you "punish" a club, if there was no material loss to third party creditors? Becuase the next owners settled them? Serious question, since you are making a serious and reasoned contribution to the debate.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2990
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Adeybull "Would you "punish" a club, if there was no material loss to third party creditors? Becuase the next owners settled them? Serious question, since you are making a serious and reasoned contribution to the debate.'"

I see your point,i would have a minimum points deduction of say two points for an act of insolvency,this been the minimum where it can be evidenced that there will be no loss to third party creditors.
And then it moves up the points deduction scale in relation to how many creditors are getting screwed over.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2990
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Adeybull "Is that the sum of your considered, objective analysis? Pretty lean pickings indeed, if it is.

As it happens, if it was the same shower running it, anything other than a pretty severe penalty would be hard to argue against. One of my pet hates is owners/managers of a business letting it go bust, screwing the creditors, and then starting up again as a phoenix. But, lets apply your logic to a simple analagous scenario, shall we?

You bought a used car from a dealer. You even agreed to pay off the HP owing on it by its previous owner, even though it was not down to you to do that. Then you get told that, because its previous two owners were incompetant or useless drivers, you are not allowed to drive the car on motorways or A roads. Yet you believe yourself to be a good driver, and able to pay your way in the world too. And you cannot understand why folk are demanding the car be punished for the sins of its previous drivers. And you, as the current owner, with it.

And the previous useless driver anyway complains that the only reason HE lost the car was because a big chunk of his earnings had been confiscated by the authorities, because of the antics of the PREVIOUS owner before him. And that he agreed to that crazy condition because he really thought he could do some good with the car, but badly underestimated its running costs.

How would you, the current owner of the car, feel when some of your neighbours were lecturing you that everything above was all perfectly fair and reasonable? How would your familty and friends feel? And react?'"

Using your car analogy...........

You bought the car for a fair market price for the condition it was in and should have expected it to have problems.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45_1302643626.jpg

Quote: TURFEDOUT "I see your point,i would have a minimum points deduction of say two points for an act of insolvency,this been the minimum where it can be evidenced that there will be no loss to third party creditors.
And then it moves up the points deduction scale in relation to how many creditors are getting screwed over.'"

I guess that committing an act of insolvency, even if ultimately the creditors get paid, must have some impact across the wider game, on the creditors in the interim, and in the perception of it. So, barring exceptional circumstances, I can see your point too about having a nodest minimum penalty regardless. Then the sliding scale. I can't see that many objective observers having an issue with that.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45_1302643626.jpg

Quote: TURFEDOUT "Using your car analogy...........

You bought the car for a fair market price for the condition it was in and should have expected it to have problems.'"

Indeed. And if the car needs fixing, the price I paid reflects what I'll need to do to it. But the price would not be expected to reflect not be allowed to drive it on main roads because of something itsb previous owner did - since that situation and stipulation would be considerd outrageous and illogical. And who would buy a car, and take on pretty massive running costs, with that condition attached?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: TURFEDOUT "I see it as a continuation of the club and its actions taken have to have consequences.If the club has potential,punishing it doesnt remove that potential,its still there,just may take longer to realise.
I dont really see that the game has any option but to punish clubs,particularly in cases of insolvency.Although i dont see the point of a financial penalty,points deduction only.'"

Action taken by other people, whilst the club may be a continuation, the club isnt a person. Those responsible for the problems Bradford faced have gone, punishing Bradford now punishes different people, people who are trying to rectify the situation. The people who caused it have gone.

Lets punish the people who cause clubs to become insolvent or go in to admin, and help those who are trying to rectify the situation. I can't see how any other approach makes any sense.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2990
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Adeybull "I guess that committing an act of insolvency, even if ultimately the creditors get paid, must have some impact across the wider game, on the creditors in the interim, and in the perception of it. So, barring exceptional circumstances, I can see your point too about having a nodest minimum penalty regardless. Then the sliding scale. I can't see that many objective observers having an issue with that.'"

Apart from the Wakey supporters(of which im one)...............
Unfortunately i really do believe that without the threat of relegation 99% of Wakey supporters wouldnt have an issue with the above.You may have got the odd whimper,but not the baying for blood that is been seen.
In general it seems to me that the more insecure a supporter is about his own clubs safety,the harsher the penalties he wants to see enforced,irrespective of whether the punishment actually fits the crime.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45_1302643626.jpg

Quote: TURFEDOUT "Apart from the Wakey supporters(of which im one)...............
Unfortunately i really do believe that without the threat of relegation 99% of Wakey supporters wouldnt have an issue with the above.You may have got the odd whimper,but not the baying for blood that is been seen.
In general it seems to me that the more insecure a supporter is about his own clubs safety,the harsher the penalties he wants to see enforced,irrespective of whether the punishment actually fits the crime.'"

Absolutely. And fully understandably, too, to be honest. We are all responding to the relegation sword of Damocles hanging over us, which has had consequences I suspect were not fully thought through tbh.

That is what makes this season, and this situation, very different to previous seasons. And why the financial penalty the Bulls are operating under this year assumes dramatically increased significance.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2990
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: SmokeyTA "Action taken by other people, whilst the club may be a continuation, the club isnt a person. Those responsible for the problems Bradford faced have gone, punishing Bradford now punishes different people, people who are trying to rectify the situation. The people who caused it have gone.

Lets punish the people who cause clubs to become insolvent or go in to admin, and help those who are trying to rectify the situation. I can't see how any other approach makes any sense.'"

Action taken by other people on behalf of the club.
If you go down the route of not punishing the club,how can you punish people that are no longer there?
Exactly, the club isnt a person -but its the club that has to be punished,otherwise a simple change of shareholders of the limited company would negate any punishment been handed out for misdemeanours.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: TURFEDOUT "Action taken by other people on behalf of the club.
If you go down the route of not punishing the club,how can you punish people that are no longer there?
Exactly, the club isnt a person -but its the club that has to be punished,otherwise a simple change of shareholders of the limited company would negate any punishment been handed out for misdemeanours.'"

but administration is a company issue, not a playing issue. If this was an SC breach, or a players on the field breach or something like the problems Cronulla are facing in the NRL i would agree with you. But it isnt, its a company issue.

We cant justify punishing the new owners because we can't punish the old owners, there seems to be an argument here that starts with 'someone needs punishing'. It seems that we are seeing people wanting a punishment for the Bulls because someone needs punishing, we cant get the people responsible so lets get the closest thing we can, those who have taken over. To me that is not only wrong, its counter-productive.

My punishments would be that any director of a club going in to admin in RL is put on a blacklist and is unable to have any role or decision making power within the game for a period of 15 years, this list will be publicly available and called the persons found unfit and incapable list. Any businessman who gets involved in RL is generally on a bit of an ego trip, if we are going to punish them, you punish their ego.

Thats it, thats as far as we can realistically go before we are punishing anyone just to say we are punishing someone. Its not much but we dont have much leverage.

Personally i think the answer to stopping clubs going bust isnt any of the nonsense we see getting bandied about regarding punishing clubs, or relegating them or anything else. Its about having a structure to the game where clubs can flourish, where people can be held accountable and where people are held responsible. This new structure does exactly the opposite, and even encourages the opposite. IMO the RFL have abdicated themselves of any and all responsibility for anything and let the chips fall where they may. But punishing the bulls now doesnt rectify any of these things, its just misguided lip service to make people think they are doing something when in reality everything they are doing is too little too late.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1012
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: SmokeyTA "but administration is a company issue, not a playing issue. If this was an SC breach, or a players on the field breach or something like the problems Cronulla are facing in the NRL i would agree with you. But it isnt, its a company issue. '"

The counter to that is the company is providing an unfair competitive advantage to the playing side in the event of being able to wipe away debts, so a points deduction is appropriate.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: childofthenorthern "The counter to that is the company is providing an unfair competitive advantage to the playing side in the event of being able to wipe away debts, so a points deduction is appropriate.'"

What competitive advantage is that, they still have to pay the players. Those players have contracts.

This just feeds in to the myth that the only thing keeping RL clubs from being sustainable, profitable, uber-businesses is that they pay players too much. That just simply isnt the case.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17951
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif
:simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: SmokeyTA "What competitive advantage is that, they still have to pay the players. Those players have contracts.

This just feeds in to the myth that the only thing keeping RL clubs from being sustainable, profitable, uber-businesses is that they pay players too much. That just simply isnt the case.'"

Now that we are returning to promotion/relegation, would it be fair, if a club stayed in the top flight by overspending and then finding a new owner by means of entering admin. and changing owner.
Or, being promoted and then clearing their accrued debts and starting life in the top flight with a clean slate.
In the sporting arena, it is right and proper for people or clubs who break the rules to be "punished".
If a club breaks the salary cap, they would rightly get a points deduction or hefty fine, even if they had changed ownership.
I just don't get this, "don't punish the new owners, they've done nothing wrong" nonsense.
They may not have, but they will have gained advantage with the purchase price of the club (assuming they actually paid for it in the first place).

71 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
71 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.7236328125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Hull KR H
MattyB
12m
Todays match v Saints
Fantastic Mr
16m