JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47035_1386433761.gif
We can be bold enough to make a stand and do battle for our views and beliefs. But we must strive to be mature enough not to resort to unnecessary personal attacks upon people with opposing views.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47035.gif

I would add to that, if Wigan for example wanted to pay Sam Tomkins £1million a year, why should they be prevented from doing so, it would simply mean they would have less money available to offer to other players who whilst they may not be of sam quality, they may not be a million miles away.

Also if a club creates a talent, why should that club not benefit from the trickle down effect, if that player was hot property they could sell to a rich club and benefit as the rich club could fit them in their wages structure straight away. The cap means that rich clubs don't pay transfers as often because to ship a player in they need to boot a player out as the cap does not allow them to hold both at once.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Sal Paradise "Some points for Mugwump to respond to

As predicted - Salford are the first

RankPostsTeam
Administrator25122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7.gif
:7.gif

Quote: SmokeyTA "If you look at the evidence, then it is pretty clear that the NRL will have more money to throw around in the future. Why wouldn’t they spend it on better players?'"

I'm sure they will. But if the NRL currently wants a British player, and the player wants to play in the NRL (which anyone who has lived abroad and understands the upheaval will know is no certainty by any means) there's little we can do to stop him even before their income expansion.

Quote: SmokeyTA "You've yet to see evidence of the well documented history of the formation of our game?'"

I've yet to see any evidence that YOU understand it.

Quote: SmokeyTA "I know, they are adjectives, they are used to describe things. HTH'"

I know. You used them to bluff out an argument from authority. Which doesn't make it any less so.

Quote: SmokeyTA "No, he goes somewhere else and becomes 100% less effective.'"

That's two arguments from authority. Congratulations.

Quote: SmokeyTA "The Championships are a competition with a low SC and which is unpredictable.

Yet people, in general, still don’t want to go watch, screen it on TV, pay millions in broadcast contracts and sponsorship or play in it.'"

You really are straining to prove that lowering wages in a time when the majority of people in Britain are taking a pay cut each year in real terms will render the game devoid of skill, entertainment, sponsors and people willing to watch. Perhaps you should consider a career in palm reading?

RankPostsTeam
Administrator25122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7.gif

Quote: SEB "What you seem to be saying is that (taking it to an extreme for arguments sake) we could get away with paying all our players an equal, low wage, say £25k across the board.'"

I was thinking more along the lines of maintaining the current meritocratic model (better players receive higher wages) - but at a lower overall ceiling which is a fixed minimum and maximum for all clubs and an absolute requirement for entry into the competition.

Quote: SEB "We wouldn't need to worry what effect it would have because it would increase competitiveness and unpredictability.'"

You said that. I said it would indeed cause problems and would probably have to be implemented in a stepwise, phase-down fashion to mitigate upheaval as much as possible.

Quote: SEB "And we needn't worry about players leaving for other sports/leagues/careers because there are always some lads who don't know what else they'd do.'"

You said that. I said we will likely lose players which would certainly be worrying. However, I (and I'm sure the players) prefer this to clubs going out of existence because they are busting their finances attempting to keep up with the top teams who can outspend them for the best talent.

Quote: SEB "I'm not knocking those type of lads - but surely we don't want to exclude lads who have a genuine chance of even a slightly better career elsewhere?'"

Of course not. Which is why I wouldn't take such action without making every effort to keep as much talent as possible.

Quote: SEB "There is a business saying that says something like if you aren't growing you are standing still and standing still means you will get left behind and die.'"

There's a mathematical saying that infinite growth is impossible and there's a Marxist saying which argues it leads to disaster.

Quote: SEB "We ought to be doing everything possible to grow RL - geographically, demographically and economically. Everything should be done in balance and proportion yes, but let's not just give up and reduce the appeal, breadth and diversity!'"

I really don't see these arguments as mutually exclusive.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2150
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47557_1332937611.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47557.jpg

Mugwump - Why have you started a thread to just then answer the questions you posed yourself?

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach1466No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2022Oct 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9648.jpg
The Aussie Legend!!!:9648.jpg

The sport was founded due to money, it has always been at the core of the sport. I doubt there has ever been a successful club that did not spend money to get success. At the same time it is easy to sound money and not have success.

Looking at world sport and the salary cap, money probably has the least impact on the sport that it has had for a while (ignoring the club that run out of it).

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: Mugwump "I'm sure they will. But if the NRL currently wants a British player, and the player wants to play in the NRL (which anyone who has lived abroad and understands the upheaval will know is no certainty by any means) there's little we can do to stop him even before their income expansion. '"

That’s nonsense and you know it, You don’t need it explaining to you that the economics of the move will be part of the equation for the player.
Quote: Mugwump "I've yet to see any evidence that YOU understand it. '"
In the context of what has gone before, this doesnt make any sense whatsoever.

Quote: Mugwump "I know. You used them to bluff out an argument from authority. Which doesn't make it any less so. '"
No I didnt.

Quote: Mugwump "That's two arguments from authority. Congratulations'"

Its not an argument, its self evident fact.

Quote: Mugwump "You really are straining to prove that lowering wages in a time when the majority of people in Britain are taking a pay cut each year in real terms will render the game devoid of skill, entertainment, sponsors and people willing to watch. Perhaps you should consider a career in palm reading?'"
Nope, its obvious to most people. People arent taking wage cuts as gesture of solidarity with the economy, they take them because they dont have another option. Our players do. Its is self-evident that a lower quality game, will get lower attendances and visibility, and that lower attendances and visibility will result in lower sponsorship and TV rights. We see this in action, its called the championship.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach14082No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2017Feb 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9857_1341488583.jpg
WEST COAST PIRATES NRL expansion? Sometime soon, maybe......:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_9857.jpg

I'm still not convinced some clubs aren't paying more than the salary cap. We aren't seeing top talent move around clubs like we see in the NRL and we aren't seeing clubs sharing success like we see in the NRL. Given ? 8 of the SL are spending full salary caps you would expect to see more of the two above indicators happening.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Quote: JB Down Under "I'm still not convinced some clubs aren't paying more than the salary cap. We aren't seeing top talent move around clubs like we see in the NRL and we aren't seeing clubs sharing success like we see in the NRL. Given ? 8 of the SL are spending full salary caps you would expect to see more of the two above indicators happening.'"

Well over the last 5 seasons we've seen 4 different teams top the table, 2 teams win the Grand Final, and 3 different teams win the Challenge Cup. I don't think that's too bad personally and isn't particularly any worse than the NRL.

I would question whether 8 of the 14 teams are spending the full cap, and I would certainly question how much many of the SL clubs are spending on things like conditioning, physios, sports science etc

RankPostsTeam
Administrator25122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7.gif

Quote: SmokeyTA "That’s nonsense and you know it, You don’t need it explaining to you that the economics of the move will be part of the equation for the player.'"

No. It's written in plain English and makes perfect sense. If you can't process information I can't be held responsible.

Quote: SmokeyTA "No I didnt.'"

I'm afraid you did.

Quote: SmokeyTA "Its not an argument, its self evident fact. '"

You have no conclusive evidence to support this claim. It is not self-evident. It is not a fact. Claiming that it is doesn't make it so.

Quote: SmokeyTA "Nope, its obvious to most people.'"

Another argument from authority.

Quote: SmokeyTA "People arent taking wage cuts as gesture of solidarity with the economy, they take them because they dont have another option. Our players do.'"

What - ALL our players? Every last one? They will ALL desert the game? Or do you mean only the good ones? Either way this is not a copper-bottomed fact either. There is no evidence. Believe it or not - some players play for the love of the game. They are more than happy with the money but it's not the primary motivating factor. I'm quite sure there are many SL players who wouldn't appreciate the mercenary attributes you assign to them.

Quote: SmokeyTA "Its is self-evident that a lower quality game, will get lower attendances and visibility, and that lower attendances and visibility will result in lower sponsorship and TV rights. We see this in action, its called the championship.'"

Whilst I'm sure there would be difficulties with losing [isome[/i players in the short term it is NOT self-evident that skill levels would drop off a cliff. We would still have a fully-professional game. We would still have young players wanting to play the game to a high level. Believe it or not - people WANT to play rugby league. People WANT to watch rugby league.

RankPostsTeam
Administrator25122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7.gif

Quote: LifeLongHKRFan "Mugwump - Why have you started a thread to just then answer the questions you posed yourself?'"

Quote: LifeLongHKRFan "1. How competitive is SL outside of the traditional big spenders i.e. Leeds, Wigan, Bradford, St. Helens (perhaps Warrington)? I'm talking purely about league positions (assuming 5th or 6th is now 1st) which I know is not an ideal measure but it's a starting point.

2. Which club last won SL, or just the league, running a modest budget in comparison to other big-spending clubs?

3. Based on the figures published (and I know they aren't comprehensive) what is the relationship between budget and final league position?'"

I haven't answered any of these questions.

RankPostsTeam
Administrator25122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7.gif

Quote: Him "Well over the last 5 seasons we've seen 4 different teams top the table, 2 teams win the Grand Final, and 3 different teams win the Challenge Cup. I don't think that's too bad personally and isn't particularly any worse than the NRL. '"

Really?

I mean, sure - at the start of the season it's pretty much impossible to know who will win SL (out of three or four sides who have gobbled up most of the talent). But I can list with certainty those sides who (sans some freak Munich-esque catastrophe hitting Leeds, Saints, Wigan & Warrington or the intervention of some rich sugar daddy) won't win it - season after season after season.

Can you say the same - consistently - about the NRL?

Wouldn't it be better if ALL clubs began the competition spending precisely the same amount of money? Wouldn't the bottom 6 or 8 attract more fans if they genuinely felt they had as good a chance as anyone else? How about sponsors?

I really don't understand it. RL fans are forever moaning that SL is not competitive. Yet when we suggest a very rough proposal to make it so they fall over themselves to argue it absolutely positively won't work. Or is it that they just want some clubs to be more equal than others?

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Quote: Mugwump "Really?

I mean, sure - at the start of the season it's pretty much impossible to know who will win SL (out of three or four sides who have gobbled up most of the talent). But I can list with certainty those sides who (sans some freak Munich-esque catastrophe hitting Leeds, Saints, Wigan & Warrington or the intervention of some rich sugar daddy) won't win it - season after season after season.

Can you say the same - consistently - about the NRL?

Wouldn't it be better if ALL clubs began the competition spending precisely the same amount of money? Wouldn't the bottom 6 or 8 attract more fans if they genuinely felt they had as good a chance as anyone else? How about sponsors?

I really don't understand it. RL fans are forever moaning that SL is not competitive. Yet when we suggest a very rough proposal to make it so they fall over themselves to argue it absolutely positively won't work. Or is it that they just want some clubs to be more equal than others?'"

Yes, really. As I said SL has 4 different teams top the table, 2 teams win the GF and 3 teams win the Cup over the last 5 seasons. The NRL has had 4 teams top the table and 3 teams win the GF over the same time period. Hardly an earth-shattering difference.
You're right, of course, in that the league would be more competitive if every club could spend the full cap, but that's just a statement of the bleedin' obvious.
The solution to that problem is not to immediately lower the cap to the level of the worst off club, it's to bring the bottom clubs up to the level of the top clubs.
I also don't totally agree with this argument that it's "always the same clubs" at the top. You mentioned Wigan, Saints, Leeds and Warrington. Only 2 of those clubs have been consistently at the top and winning things since the start of SL, and one of those had a break for a few years. Also, possibly the most dominant club in the history of SL is missing from that list. It wouldn't be a surprise if any of those 4 you mentioned win the big prize next season, nor is it unreasonable to suggest clubs like Catalans or Hull could win it. That's over 40% of clubs. I don't think that's particularly bad.
The solution is not to reduce wages down to a very low level and lose many more players to other sports or careers, nor is it to significantly raise the cap or do away with it as that would simply lead to a wider gulf. The solution, in my opinion, is to keep the cap where it is and to "professionalise" the lower clubs to get them up to a higher level off the field so that they can sustainably spend more on the field.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: Mugwump "No. It's written in plain English and makes perfect sense. If you can't process information I can't be held responsible. '"

I understand it, but it is nonsense

Quote: Mugwump "You have no conclusive evidence to support this claim. It is not self-evident. It is not a fact. Claiming that it is doesn't make it so'"
So you are saying, that if Sam Tompkins stops playing Rugby League, he is still, in some form, effective as a Rugby League player? interesting.............

Quote: Mugwump "Another argument from authority. '"
I cant help it if what is obvious to most people is difficult for you to understand.
Quote: Mugwump "What - ALL our players? Every last one? They will ALL desert the game?'"
Thats a lovely straw man you are building there.
Quote: Mugwump " Or do you mean only the good ones?'"
This would be a very very bad thing.
Quote: Mugwump "Either way this is not a copper-bottomed fact either. There is no evidence. Believe it or not - some players play for the love of the game. They are more than happy with the money but it's not the primary motivating factor. I'm quite sure there are many SL players who wouldn't appreciate the mercenary attributes you assign to them. '"
Where is your evidence for this? Where is your evidence that players would be willing to accept lower wages to even the competition?

Quote: Mugwump "Whilst I'm sure there would be difficulties with losing [isome[/i players in the short term it is NOT self-evident that skill levels would drop off a cliff. We would still have a fully-professional game. We would still have young players wanting to play the game to a high level. Believe it or not - people WANT to play rugby league. People WANT to watch rugby league.'"
As i said, we see it in action. Fortunately we have a league which posses the attributes you crave. We have a league where the cap has been lowered to a level all can spend, and it is competitive and unpredictable, but its best players leave for pastures new, for more money, and that league struggles to attract fans, sponsors and a tv deal.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4938
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2018Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18261_1413138907.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_18261.jpg

Quote: Him "Yes, really. As I said SL has 4 different teams top the table, 2 teams win the GF and 3 teams win the Cup over the last 5 seasons. The NRL has had 4 teams top the table and 3 teams win the GF over the same time period. Hardly an earth-shattering difference.'"

How about the full time-frame comparsion (1998-2012) as opposed to your selective 5 year one?

Super League
4 teams winning the GF
6 teams appearing in the GF
5 teams finishing top of the ladder

NRL
9 teams winning the GF
12 teams appearing in the GF
9 teams finishing top of the ladder

And the comparison suddenly becomes earth-shatteringly different icon_cool.gif

119 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
119 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

6.09912109375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC