FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > Two Tier Super League A Step Closer ??
238 posts in 17 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29597
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

If we had a two tier superleague would teams not just be playing each other 3 times? that way there would be 27 fixtures the same as now. That would obviously lead to one of the sides having one home game to the other teams two each season but that could be done on a rotational basis. The magic games could still be played as part of those 27 fixtures if they want to continue the concept.

It would take some working out if the format was to change around the salary cap limits for clubs and the TV money each tier would receive as it couldn't be the same at both levels or there's little point in doing it. The aim would be to improve the quality of teams at that top level and make every game competitive but if the funding and salary cap was the same in that second tier it would have the complete opposite effect.

If a move like this was done correctly it could work out extremely well a bit like it did with County Championship cricket a few years back but the RFL would need to get it right.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

The 18 First Class Counties received over £50m from the ECB this year. Which is nearly double that given to SL clubs. Plus the significant extras that the ECB provide to Counties I'm not sure a comparison is valid.

We can just about sustain a 14-team SL, we cannot afford another 6 clubs and we cannot afford to cast 4 clubs adrift. A 2-tier of 10 SL would be a disaster.

Any increase in TV money should be used to help stabilise the clubs (in SL & Championships) as they are.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner17226No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Mar 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6731_1299024498.jpg
[quote="King Street Cat":1wa9s43t]Some might look at this as being harsh but I think it's fair. When are the Rugby League going to stop persisting with this fantasy expansion. If it hasn't worked by now, it never will! I'm all for reaching out to a wider audience with our game but not at the expense of historical clubs in the homelands.[/quote:1wa9s43t]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6731.jpg

Quote: Starbug "How and where?'"
Pretty much anything would be better than ploughing money into undeserving clubs in a vain attempt to bring them up to an unattainable standard so that we could try to artificially contrive some sort of system of automatic P&R, which is pretty much what is being suggested here. If Sky were willing to offer more money (which they aren't), then it could be given to the current SL clubs to ensure that they are all able to spend the full salary cap and there would be a 'competitive competition' straight away, in a much more effective and logical way than what was suggested in the OP.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg
kcab sfrawdder Luck is a combination of preparation and opportunity Just to avoid confusion Starbug is the username of Steven Pike SOMEBODY SAID that it couldn’t be done But he with a chuckle replied That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried. So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin On his face. If he worried he hid it. He started to sing as he tackled the thing That couldn’t be done, and he did it!:9005.jpg

Quote: headhunter "Pretty much anything would be better than ploughing money into undeserving clubs in a vain attempt to bring them up to an unattainable standard so that we could try to artificially contrive some sort of system of automatic P&R, which is pretty much what is being suggested here. If Sky were willing to offer more money (which they aren't), then it could be given to the current SL clubs to ensure that they are all able to spend the full salary cap and there would be a 'competitive competition' straight away, in a much more effective and logical way than what was suggested in the OP.'"

So your answer is to give more money to ' deserving ' clubs, thats it? , and in this case ' deserving ' is SL status? Can you quantify that?

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach14135No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2019Apr 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10123_1554736671.jpg
"I've not come 'alfway round t'world fot watch us lose. And I've come halfway round t'world, an' av watched um lose":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10123.jpg

Quote: headhunter "'What's up with it' is the fact that we do not have 20 teams capable of competing at a full-time level, and so attempting to form some sort of 'Super League 2' using a majority of exiting Championship teams would just be effectively relegating four current SL sides into the Championship for the sake of it. You would still be putting full-time teams into a part-time league, it would achieve nothing other than severely weakening four clubs for no logical reason and if anything it would exacerbate the problems related to automatic P&R and make them worse than they were before because more clubs would be forced to adopt counter-productive business models than under the previous system. It's a stupid idea and complete none-starter if you put even an ounce of thought into it.'"

You're missing the point completely.

20 teams wouldn't compete with each other. Two groups of ten would.

All this talk of not enough money or talent or this or that is lazy and unambitious.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg
kcab sfrawdder Luck is a combination of preparation and opportunity Just to avoid confusion Starbug is the username of Steven Pike SOMEBODY SAID that it couldn’t be done But he with a chuckle replied That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried. So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin On his face. If he worried he hid it. He started to sing as he tackled the thing That couldn’t be done, and he did it!:9005.jpg

Quote: ROBINSON "You're missing the point completely.

All this talk of not enough money or talent or this or that is lazy and unambitious.'"

He isnt missing the point at all, he is deliberatly ignoring it

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner17226No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Mar 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6731_1299024498.jpg
[quote="King Street Cat":1wa9s43t]Some might look at this as being harsh but I think it's fair. When are the Rugby League going to stop persisting with this fantasy expansion. If it hasn't worked by now, it never will! I'm all for reaching out to a wider audience with our game but not at the expense of historical clubs in the homelands.[/quote:1wa9s43t]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6731.jpg

Quote: Starbug "So your answer is to give more money to ' deserving ' clubs, thats it? , and in this case ' deserving ' is SL status? Can you quantify that?'"
No, there is no 'answer' to anything because Sky are not about to pour masses of additional money into the sport on a whim. What I posted was just a preferable scenario to the stupid idea detailed in the OP and subsequent posts, because having 14 strong full-time teams would clearly be better than having 10 strong full-time teams. The current 14 Super League clubs are the most likely to succeed in Super League at the present time. Nobody outside Super League would have any chance of competing at present and the majority never will, so throwing money at them in an attempt to force them to that level would just be stupidity. They are undeserving in that they don't have the potential to be Super League clubs, and the majority are aware of this so I'm not sure why this debate is even going ahead.

Quote: Starbug "You're missing the point completely.

All this talk of not enough money or talent or this or that is lazy and unambitious.'"
You mean you would be effectively relegating four clubs and making them part-time for absolutely no reason, taking a large percentage of money from the remaining 10 clubs and consigning them to a fate of continually having to look over their shoulder and scramble for survival for fear of being relegated into a part-time division? Yeah, great ambition.

There is nothing 'lazy' about not wanting to adopt a totally unsuitable, illogical and ridiculous system to the massive detriment of the sport, and anyone trying to pretend that this is anything but that has either put absolutely no thought into it, or is a complete idiot.

Quote: Starbug "He isnt missing the point at all, he is deliberatly ignoring it'"
What point am I 'deliberately ignoring'? That you want your club to be unconditionally given money that it has no claim to, because it is unable to generate anything like the required level of income itself?

RankPostsTeam
International Star1002No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: SmokeyTA "definitely, what the likes of Salford, Cas, Widnes and London need is to be playing at a lower level, in front of lower crowds, in a competition with lower visibility, whilst what the other clubs in SL need is fewer games, less money, and the risk of being relegated to a comp with lower crowds, lower visibility, even less money and a lower standard. Cos thats the big problem RL has, too many teams making too much money, playing at too high a standard with too much visibility and too many fans.

But screw the 4 clubs who would be damaged by being relegated, screw the clubs at the bottom of SL who would need stop focusing on competing at the top but revert to scrambling for survival every year, screw the clubs at the top of the leagues below SL2, screw the youngsters who wont get a game when clubs revert to bringing in aging antipodeans on short term contracts because staying up/promotion becomes a higher priority than youth development again, screw the 5 year tv contract we have just finished the first year of, Sky will definitely want to renegotiate a higher rate now, after all look at the market conditions, everyone is spending loads on everything and Sky definitely havent just shelled out £3billion for the premier league, screw all of them cos Leigh might get a slightly increased attendance.'"

Has it ever occurred to you that the vast majority of people in the game, from the top to the bottom want to make the game as a whole better? Yes, everyone is biased to their own club, but everybody also understands the need for a healthy sport. You may disagree with proposals because of the outcomes you predict, but you talk as if people are deliberately (or at best recklessly) out to 'screw' the game. Why would anyone involved in the sport want to screw it up?

The effect on those clubs outside the top 10 (say) will in fact be very much dependent on the actual details, such as how funds are distributed, how many clubs involved in P&R, amongst many other things. Done badly, it could screw things up, yes (doing nothing is doing a decent job of screwing things up too). Done right, I think there's a good chance of everyone benefiting. I may be hopelessly deluded along with the others that share my opinion, but I can assure you that our motivations are sound.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1002No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: NickyKiss "If we had a two tier superleague would teams not just be playing each other 3 times? that way there would be 27 fixtures the same as now. That would obviously lead to one of the sides having one home game to the other teams two each season but that could be done on a rotational basis. The magic games could still be played as part of those 27 fixtures if they want to continue the concept.

It would take some working out if the format was to change around the salary cap limits for clubs and the TV money each tier would receive as it couldn't be the same at both levels or there's little point in doing it. The aim would be to improve the quality of teams at that top level and make every game competitive but if the funding and salary cap was the same in that second tier it would have the complete opposite effect.

If a move like this was done correctly it could work out extremely well a bit like it did with County Championship cricket a few years back but the RFL would need to get it right.'"

I totally agree. Your last 'but' is what scares me, but nevertheless, despite the reasonably high chance of the RFL making a mess of it, its got to be better than plodding on with the current system which is taking the game precisely nowhere, fast. I just hope they can push through the changes that need to happen, in the face of the inevitable protests (doesn't matter what the change is - someone won't like it). It's a crying shame the sport (as a whole that is - no idea who was to 'blame') never did a proper job at the start of superleague by pushing through the mergers that were needed.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member16601No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2024Nov 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
cartoons/WB181.gif
:cartoons/WB181.gif

Its happening for 2015 season and will be announced this year. It will make the WC a great success now we can have unity again. The game will expand, we will have a greater playing pool ( Hill and Hardacre were Championship players not long ago) and a more intense fixture list.
I fear for the luddites on here though who have fought expansion.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1002No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: maurice "Its happening for 2015 season and will be announced this year. It will make the WC a great success now we can have unity again. The game will expand, we will have a greater playing pool ( Hill and Hardacre were Championship players not long ago) and a more intense fixture list.
I fear for the luddites on here though who have fought expansion.'"

This.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner17226No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Mar 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6731_1299024498.jpg

Quote: RLBandit "The effect on those clubs outside the top 10 (say) will in fact be very much dependent on the actual details, such as how funds are distributed'"
By nature, it would mean that four clubs already struggling financially would be further deprived of funds, and would almost certainly be forced to regress to part-time status. Thus 'Super League 2' would effectively become the Championship under a different name and all the problems caused by automatic promotion and relegation between a full-time and a part-time league would be reintroduced, except this time the threat of relegation would be faced by current mid-table clubs and so would be much more damaging to the sport as a whole, and we would be needlessly deprived of four teams that are currently capable of existing in a full-time environment. Therefore, it is a terrible idea. End of debate.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach426No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2015Jul 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons9b07_files/5995-5767The_Greater-msnicons.gif
:icons9b07_files/5995-5767The_Greater-msnicons.gif

but isn't the whole idea not to have a championship under a new name but have a 2nd league ran by the same body as the first league operating with professional clubs?

then the transition for a promoted or relegated side would be survivable (not that i really remember promoted or relegated clubs actually doing that badly anyway, certainly not in the former case)

and come on imagine the excitement of london v halifax last day of the season promotion decider with both clubs buoyant after a season of winning most of their games and the prospect of going up

whilst on the other table wakefield just pip kr on the last day to stay up... this would have the added benefit of hull kr's 30000 strong travelling faithful boosting the gate receipts of everyone in the 2nd league the next season

what could go wrong?

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner17226No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Mar 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6731_1299024498.jpg

Quote: tino "but isn't the whole idea not to have a championship under a new name but have a 2nd league ran by the same body as the first league operating with professional clubs?'"
Yes, and if this is ever realistic in the future then I guess it is an option that might be considered.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2681No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017Jul 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
58216_1342011610.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_58216.jpg

This seems like one of those ideas that sound great theoretically, but when put into practice could turn out to be a disaster:

- Are 4 teams being 'relegated' into Super League 2, or are six teams being 'promoted' into Super League 2 from the Championship? An important distinction...
- How will finances be distributed?
- Can teams be relegated from Super League 2 into a lower tier? Is this done by license or relegation through end of the season standing?
- Who decides who will be 'relegated' into SL 2 initially and on what basis? Would geographical location be brought into the deciding factors, i.e will London be guaranteed a spot in SL 1?
- Who will televise these leagues? Will Sky be prepared to give each equal coverage, or will another channel have to pick up SL 2, effectively demoting the value of it?
- How will promotion from SL 2 to SL 1 be decided and how will the champions be decided in SL 1: play-offs or first past the post?

I think reform is definitely required domestically and internationally, but it's how far the RFL are prepared to go. I see the argument to reduce to 12 as a more viable option right now, unless the RFL proposal is persuasive and, of course, a proposal is actually in the pipeline.

If the RFL does propose reform, then a 10-15year plan will need to be drawn together and they should stick with it, give whatever reform they deem necessary the time to be truly tested.

238 posts in 17 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
238 posts in 17 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.0078125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Salford H
HU8HFC
7m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
7m