FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > Is Rugby League really a credible 'sport'.
212 posts in 15 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner17226No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Mar 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6731_1299024498.jpg
[quote="King Street Cat":1wa9s43t]Some might look at this as being harsh but I think it's fair. When are the Rugby League going to stop persisting with this fantasy expansion. If it hasn't worked by now, it never will! I'm all for reaching out to a wider audience with our game but not at the expense of historical clubs in the homelands.[/quote:1wa9s43t]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6731.jpg

Quote: sanjunien "quite agree but the man is asking if it's a 'credible sport' and you have to agree that episodes like the Crusaders for example doesn't help the credibility of our sport'"
Like I said on the other thread, RL fans are so paranoid and obsessed with preserving 'credibility'. There would be a lot more credibility if the sport was not almost exclusively played by a bunch of small towns along the M62. Nobody is laughing at our sport, there aren't fans of other sports waiting to pounce every time things don't go exactly to plan. Nobody really knows too much about RL and that's the problem. What damages credibility the most is the poor geographical spread and a lack of quality international competition, not clubs running into financial difficulty, that's something that happens in all sports.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg
kcab sfrawdder Luck is a combination of preparation and opportunity Just to avoid confusion Starbug is the username of Steven Pike SOMEBODY SAID that it couldn’t be done But he with a chuckle replied That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried. So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin On his face. If he worried he hid it. He started to sing as he tackled the thing That couldn’t be done, and he did it!:9005.jpg

Quote: headhunter "Like I said on the other thread, RL fans are so paranoid and obsessed with preserving 'credibility'. There would be a lot more credibility if the sport was not almost exclusively played by a bunch of small towns along the M62. Nobody is laughing at our sport, there aren't fans of other sports waiting to pounce every time things don't go exactly to plan. Nobody really knows too much about RL and that's the problem. What damages credibility the most is the poor geographical spread and a lack of quality international competition, not clubs running into financial difficulty, that's something that happens in all sports.'"

You are quite correct , nobody outside the area's you outline care or even really know about the sport

So when the ones that do start to lose faith in it , where will we be then

As for clubs running into financial difficulties , not every year , only 4 years into their life , and after it has been predicted on these very boards by those of us with our eyes open , so if we could see it , why couldn't others

The whole Crusaders project has been an abject example of how not to expand the game successfully

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20966No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6679_1399761959.png
[quote="dally messenger":1gysl9ow]was watching an nfl doco. on one of their teams and they used the term bomb to describe those long high passes from quaterback to running back and i think gibson took that idea, realized you cant throw the ball forward in RL and adapted it to a "bomb" kick we have[/quote:1gysl9ow] [quote="eels fan":1gysl9ow]You poor poor obsessed fat ex vichyballin potato thieving stoaway.[/quote:1gysl9ow]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6679.png

I'm with Headhunter on this one....the sport lacks any decent media coverage. Most people outside the heartlands have no interest in League and no matter how many clubs like Quins or Crusaders they fastrack into SL, it will always be seen as a 'northern" game.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg
kcab sfrawdder Luck is a combination of preparation and opportunity Just to avoid confusion Starbug is the username of Steven Pike SOMEBODY SAID that it couldn’t be done But he with a chuckle replied That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried. So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin On his face. If he worried he hid it. He started to sing as he tackled the thing That couldn’t be done, and he did it!:9005.jpg

Quote: gutterfax "I'm with Headhunter on this one....the sport lacks any decent media coverage. Most people outside the heartlands have no interest in League and no matter how many clubs like Quins or Crusaders they fastrack into SL, it will always be seen as a 'northern" game.'"

So there are two different arguments

1 How do we increase interest in the sport geographically ?

2 How do we retain ' credibility ' of the sport within its current support base in the light of the sports governing bodies stupidity ?

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20966No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6679_1399761959.png
[quote="dally messenger":1gysl9ow]was watching an nfl doco. on one of their teams and they used the term bomb to describe those long high passes from quaterback to running back and i think gibson took that idea, realized you cant throw the ball forward in RL and adapted it to a "bomb" kick we have[/quote:1gysl9ow] [quote="eels fan":1gysl9ow]You poor poor obsessed fat ex vichyballin potato thieving stoaway.[/quote:1gysl9ow]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6679.png

Quote: Starbug "
1 How do we increase interest in the sport geographically ?'"

There's no substitute for cold hard cash.....the RFL need to market themselves better......they need to pay for advertising in papers and on TV with the condition that the media channel used covers the sport. It needs a full time press liaison officer who should be on the phone to or in meetings with the sports editors of every media channel in the UK every day.

Teams like London, the french and the Crusaders should be marketed the most...highlighting the fact that league is no longer a northern pastime...but a national sport.

Quote: Starbug "
2 How do we retain ' credibility ' of the sport within its current support base in the light of the sports governing bodies stupidity ?'"

Your opinion of the govening bodies stupidity is your own. Regardless of whether you agree with licencing, the murkiness surrounding the criteria for licencing and the way in which Crusaders were probably pulled into SL 3 years too early, the RFL are making a profit, have a good deal with BskyB and are trying to expand the games frontiers. If they were losing money doing so, then I would agree with you, but they are turning a profit AND expanding the game.....it's just expansion isn't happening quickly enough for some icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner17226No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Mar 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6731_1299024498.jpg
[quote="King Street Cat":1wa9s43t]Some might look at this as being harsh but I think it's fair. When are the Rugby League going to stop persisting with this fantasy expansion. If it hasn't worked by now, it never will! I'm all for reaching out to a wider audience with our game but not at the expense of historical clubs in the homelands.[/quote:1wa9s43t]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6731.jpg

Quote: Starbug "So there are two different arguments

1 How do we increase interest in the sport geographically ?

2 How do we retain ' credibility ' of the sport within its current support base in the light of the sports governing bodies stupidity ?'"
1. By expansion, which means the RFL are in a no win situation because any attempts at this result in 'fans' like you on their backs calling them stupid and claiming that they are destroying the credibility of the game, when they are not. They are improving it. That's why opinions like yours and that of the OP should be ignored.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg

Quote: headhunter "1. By expansion, which means the RFL are in a no win situation because any attempts at this result in 'fans' like you on their backs calling them stupid and claiming that they are destroying the credibility of the game, when they are not. They are improving it. That's why opinions like yours and that of the OP should be ignored.'"

I am fine with expansion , as long as it is done properly , if you are suggesting that the Crusaders project is the correct way to expand the sport and bring credibility to it , then you really need to think again , it could have been done much simpler and better without headlines of visa irregularilities and administrations

Similarily telling lies and ' pretending ' that clubs are being judged equally is not the way to retain what credibility the governing body still has within the clubs support base

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2406No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
46934_1276712580.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_46934.jpg

Quote: headhunter "1. By expansion, which means the RFL are in a no win situation because any attempts at this result in 'fans' like you on their backs calling them stupid and claiming that they are destroying the credibility of the game, when they are not. They are improving it. That's why opinions like yours and that of the OP should be ignored.'"

You best ignore me too because I agree with both if them.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2833No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2022Apr 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Please feel free to ignore my opinions, I won't be offended!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach18736No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2013Jan 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20672.jpg
:CROWN: [color=#4000FF:3cyxr5nr]RLFans.com Soccer Prediction League Champion 2011/2012[/color:3cyxr5nr] :CROWN: [url=http://www.christie.nhs.uk/the-christie-charity/donate.aspx:3cyxr5nr]The Christie - please donate[/url:3cyxr5nr] [url=http://www.popbitch.com/home/2009/10/05/red-pepper-news:3cyxr5nr]Greatest headline ever?[/url:3cyxr5nr]:20672.jpg

Quote: nottinghamtiger "Definition of sportAn activity in which players or teams compete against each other, governed by a set of defined rules, usually an activity that involves physical effort.[/i'"

Union's buggered then. They have laws don't you know icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member28736No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4397_1335909374.png
@chemical_viking:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_4397.png

More Castleford fan bitterness. icon_rolleyes.gif

This is about the good of the game. When you step down - and I say when as it is clear you cannot be allowed to continue at the top flight - it will be for the greater good, so stop moaning about P & R and accept it.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach155No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2011Dec 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50267_1287613673.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50267.jpg

NottinghamTiger - This has to be the most pi$$ poor attempt at trolling i have seen from any of your accounts (Scorpions for super league/Toulouse for SL/Toulouse for Super L/rhinofox/whatever all the others were). Very poor effort. eusa_naughty.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner17226No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Mar 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6731_1299024498.jpg

Quote: Starbug "I am fine with expansion , as long as it is done properly , if you are suggesting that the Crusaders project is the correct way to expand the sport and bring credibility to it , then you really need to think again , it could have been done much simpler and better without headlines of visa irregularilities and administrations

Similarily telling lies and ' pretending ' that clubs are being judged equally is not the way to retain what credibility the governing body still has within the clubs support base'"
'Expansion done properly'=until it affects my club. Don't even try and deny that is the case. That's why you have no present issues with Scorpions and London Skolars. 'Expansion done properly', to many fans involves teams at the bottom of the pyramid getting flogged and posing no threat. As soon as teams become successful, suddenly it is unfair and corrupt. Crusaders are not the best, I have discussed why on another thread. The intention of the RFL is the right one though.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner10000No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8202.jpg
[url=//www.facebook.com/wellsmotors:2svvs5eg][img:2svvs5eg]//i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd30/wellsy13/Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg[/img:2svvs5eg][/url:2svvs5eg]:8202.jpg

Quote: Starbug "So ' selection of players ' is not an issue that affects what happens on the pitch ? , if that is the case then why have different ' selection rules ' ?'"

Everything has an affect indirectly onto the pitch in the end. The selection of players (i.e. quotas, etc.) is for your squad, and at the end of the day you can't play everyone in your squad in one game, so it's not on on-the-field issue. Squad building is an off-the-field issue. The laws on the pitch are the same for every club, that is what makes sport a sport. Not how you are allowed to select your team.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner10000No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8202.jpg
[url=//www.facebook.com/wellsmotors:2svvs5eg][img:2svvs5eg]//i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd30/wellsy13/Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg[/img:2svvs5eg][/url:2svvs5eg]:8202.jpg

Quote: imwakefieldtillidie "I'd make this your last ever post. Save making a fool of yourself anymore.'"

Wasn't part of your argument based on the fact you thought Wakefield finished 5th last season? And I'm making a fool of myself?

But yeah, good counter argument. Well thought out. You should maybe take your own advice. icon_wink.gif

212 posts in 15 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
212 posts in 15 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

6.134765625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Cokey
8m
Rumours thread
Dunkirk Spir
11m