FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > stade francaise continue to be linked with a SL spot
156 posts in 11 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman5442
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1230.gif
“You are playing a game of football this afternoon but more than that you are playing for England, and more even than that, you are playing for right versus wrong. You will win because you have to win. Don’t forget that message from home. England expects every one of you to do his duty.”:1230.gif

any reason we need two "dally picks a town to expand into" threads?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12958No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2011Jul 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: tb "There no such team. Crusaders, iirc, were grand finalists.

next …'"

so wrexham were never in the championship, and are now in SL.

indeed good crowds and good results on the field.

les cats were never in the championship either.

OK.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12958No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2011Jul 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Hopie "any reason we need two "dally picks a town to expand into" threads?'"

sorry the places ive mentioned are both cities.

one of them the most famous city in the world.

hardly towns.

think bigger.

tb
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman48326
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Oct 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1357.jpg
[b:34xc0vwf]Doubt everything, even this[/b:34xc0vwf]:1357.jpg

Quote: dally messenger "so wrexham were never in the championship, and are now in SL.'"

No they weren't. And no they're not. However, Crusaders, the team that play in SL at Wrexham, were in the championship and appeared in the Grand Final. It's really not difficult.

GSF
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach997No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2012Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32929.jpg
:32929.jpg

Quote: dally messenger "the journo who wrote this story is very close with tas bateri.

if people dont know who he is, well it wont surprise me.'"

Google doesn't even know who he is.Go on,put us out of our misery.For those who don't live and breathe RL 24/7 and have other things going on in life,who is Tas Bateri?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach706No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2013Nov 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Try googling for Tas Baiteri instead. A man who has done a great deal to spread RL internationally.

There's been no further news in France on Stade Francais XIII since the original story months ago at the time they put in plans for the stadium upgrade. No reported progress on them entering a team in next year's LER championship, or anything.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach515No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2013May 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44088.jpg
Yes:44088.jpg

Quote: JonM "Try googling for Tas Baiteri instead. A man who has done a great deal to spread RL internationally.

There's been no further news in France on Stade Francais XIII since the original story months ago at the time they put in plans for the stadium upgrade. No reported progress on them entering a team in next year's LER championship, or anything.'"

Are Toulouse definitley entering a team into LER next season?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6268No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2015Jul 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: dally messenger "so we need to see wrexham longer in SL to judge huh?

bit like paris then.

putting paris in the championship would be the biggest waste of time ever.

put em in SL, give em 3 - 5 years if it works well done, if it doesnt oh well.

whats toulose being in the championship shown?'"

I agree.
Which is why my idea on page two re: the expansion clubs is the best idea. period.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: JB Down Under "when will we learn you can't put a team in a city with no interest in the game and expect it to be a success. Look at where we have tried it

Why on earth would you think that the people of paris would be interested in watching a semi-pro game against towns they likely have never heard of?

Why would you think that a semi-pro game against a town they had never heard of would be any indication of the possible interest Paris would have in a fully pro european league?

Why would you think Stade-francais would see a demand to waste money playing 2nd tier rugby league against small northern towns as anything other than a deliberate attempt to keep the game a small northern game.

Dont you think for a game which has struggled to expand we are awfully demanding of people looking to risk millions of pounds of THEIR money to do it for us?

It seems some peoples ideas of expansion is to deliberately make it as unattractive as possible for people from new areas to join us

The CCs are a waste of time for an expansion club outside of britain, its a token gesture to the flatcappers and achieves and contributes nothing. It would be much more useful to have Stade Francais enter a team in the SL under 20s for next season and the season after and give them two years knowledge of their inclusion to build towards 2012/2013, signing some of the better french players and give them full time training in the elite.

As for Toulouse, Id have both, Money and expertise like Stade Francais doesnt come round often get them to make the necessary commitment (and by that i mean contracts and bonds, not pandering to the small towns of yorkshire and lancashire) and give them the time and space to grow

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach8261No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Nov 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[size=100:3bcizgah][url=http://twitter.com/reallyrichkelly:3bcizgah]Follow me on Twitter...[/url:3bcizgah][/size:3bcizgah]:

In my opinion, having two clubs in the south of France in SL would be detrimental to the French game. The French Elite League would suffer further. Nobody in their right mind would want to fork out £300 or so twice per season to take in a Catalans game as well as Toulouse. Supporters are simply going to alternate their homage or choose their preferred destination and just visit there once per year. However, Paris has a totally different appeal. It can be accessed via road, rail and air without any real slog of a journey, while fares can be cheap. A bit like MM or Quins away, people would be encouraged to part with their money to watch their club in the capital due to the other attractions there. Of course, away support shouldn't be a criterion for any further French inclusions in SL, but it has to be acknowledged if we're to be realistic. If there is the potential for Stade to attract 5,000 locals to watch a rugby league franchise every week, then I think it would be a brilliant move for the game.

However, from what I've heard and understand, Stade's money men were not all too serious about forming a RL franchise and it was just one person's idea which was not pursued.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5870No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2016Aug 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
24307.jpg
[img:24qn1m99]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b147/DrGomez/Replacementbanner.jpg?t=1284815933[/img:24qn1m99] On thread drift: [quote="tb":24qn1m99]Tough. Conversations develop. It's their nature.[/quote:24qn1m99] Little Pepe went to nursery school one day wearing his Widnes hat. His teacher asked him why he was a Widnes fan. He said, “Because my parents are.” His teacher said, “That’s not good. What would you do if your parents were drug dealers and hookers?” He replied, “Well then I would be a Warrington fan.” [i:24qn1m99]There's a Wooly over there, baggy kecks and feathered hair with a 3 star jumper half way up his back, that’s a fecking Wooly back![/i:24qn1m99] [b:24qn1m99]Oooh-to… Oooh-to-be… Oooh-to-be-a… WOOLY![/b:24qn1m99]:24307.jpg

Quote: tb "No they weren't. And no they're not. However, Crusaders, the team that play in SL at Wrexham, were in the championship and appeared in the Grand Final. It's really not difficult.'"

No they didn’t, that was the Celtic Crusaders. That’ll be a club playing out of bridgend, which no longer exists.

The Crusaders have merely taken over the Celtic Crusaders licence and have different owners, play in a different town 150 miles away from Bridgend, have a different team, a different coach and any link with the previous club is now tenuous, to say the least. I would guess that even the majority of their fans would be local to Wrexham, with Bridgend fans now being very much in the minority.

Perhaps, if no mind was paid to the salary cap, Stade Français could recruit a backline made up of top French RU players (they have the money), bring in some Aussie halfbacks, and fill the forwards with a mixture of Aussies, French and perhaps some British players.

If they were also willing to fund a feeder club/clubs and make a massive effort to bring through their own youngsters and fund themselves without TV money for the period of their first licecmce, with financial guarantees put in place, then they would be a goer I reckon.

That’s a massive ask though

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member18789No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Mar 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2690.jpg
:2690.jpg

Quote: Pepe "with financial guarantees put in place, then they would be a goer I reckon. '"

I would love Widnes to stay down here for another three years. That would be great.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach3356No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2014Apr 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12445.jpg
:12445.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "Why on earth would you think that the people of paris would be interested in watching a semi-pro game against towns they likely have never heard of?

Why would you think that a semi-pro game against a town they had never heard of would be any indication of the possible interest Paris would have in a fully pro european league?

'"

Sure...they would come flocking to see the teams from places such as...err...Castleford, Salford, Wrexham, Warrington etc.. icon_rolleyes.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5870No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2016Aug 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
24307.jpg
[img:24qn1m99]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b147/DrGomez/Replacementbanner.jpg?t=1284815933[/img:24qn1m99] On thread drift: [quote="tb":24qn1m99]Tough. Conversations develop. It's their nature.[/quote:24qn1m99] Little Pepe went to nursery school one day wearing his Widnes hat. His teacher asked him why he was a Widnes fan. He said, “Because my parents are.” His teacher said, “That’s not good. What would you do if your parents were drug dealers and hookers?” He replied, “Well then I would be a Warrington fan.” [i:24qn1m99]There's a Wooly over there, baggy kecks and feathered hair with a 3 star jumper half way up his back, that’s a fecking Wooly back![/i:24qn1m99] [b:24qn1m99]Oooh-to… Oooh-to-be… Oooh-to-be-a… WOOLY![/b:24qn1m99]:24307.jpg

Quote: littlerich "I would love Widnes to stay down here for another three years. That would be great.'"

I’m not saying that I would put Stade Français in, Rich. But it’s not hard to imagine the RFL going for that.

Perhaps both would be elevated to SL, Perhaps Stade Français could be given a 3 year advance notice for 2015, or maybe SL could be expanded to 15 clubs?

Whatever happens happens. It may well happen without any further participation from me though.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member18789No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Mar 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2690.jpg
:2690.jpg

Quote: Pepe " Whatever happens happens. It may well happen without any further participation from me though.'"

Why's that then?

156 posts in 11 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
156 posts in 11 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.23974609375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Film game
karetaker
2m
Championship Awards
FIL
9m