JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76030_1540929970.jpg
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES????? £20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000. The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover. There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT::d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_76030.jpg

Quote: dboy "We have loop fixtures now. The problem is that they are unknown until July, so affecting clubs finances - how can you market or sell hospitality for an fixture list you don't know.

One element of the proposed new structure, is to know what the loop fixtures are at the season launch.'"

Poor sales people always have excuses for missing targets whilst sales leaders just get on with the job of selling. If we take Wigan as an example, on Wednesday August 1st, they had 9 days to sell the first home 8's game, v Castleford on the Friday night.

Firstly, This event, regardless of the exact details, was a known occurrence regardless of it it were a home or away fixture in the super8's or Qualifiers, so it wasn't a shock to the club or their fans.....holidays would be booked regardless.
Secondly. Wigan are one of the best supported sides in SL and on Friday, April 20th 11,866 fans watched them host Castleford in the regular season. Wigan will have all the contact details for the vast majority of those fans as well as the details of previous purchasers of tickets across the last few seasons. How hard is it to send an email/SMS or employ a tele-canvasing company? A mailshot would take 2 hours to build and could have seen 10,000+ envelopes hit doormats inside 2 days. I don't know if they did any marketing or not, but they got 10,293 fans for the fist 8's game.
They then has 4 weeks until the visit of Wakefield......where they delivered their first sub 10k gate in eons....

...it is too easy to blame the "notice period" for poor crowds, when the reality is that most SL clubs have struggled this year and over the last few seasons. It really shouldn't be difficult to sell the visit of the 2017 Grand Finalists.....let alone the visit of Wire this Friday (with 5 weeks notice) who had 13,249 in attendance in July....but as I say, excuses are what bad sales people deliver, not results.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4208
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I haven't argued otherwise. I have pointed out that we already have them and that they have an affect on the marketability of the club/games.

I believe Michael Carter when he says this, despite agreeing with much of your post - I would go to watch Wakey if they announced a game tomorrow, at midnight, in Bristol.

OK, maybe not Bristol, but you get the idea.

Unfortunately, the game does not have enough tragics' like me (and probably most on here), to sustain an unpredictable structure.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76030_1540929970.jpg
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES????? £20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000. The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover. There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT::d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_76030.jpg

Quote: dboy "Unfortunately, the game does not have enough tragics' like me (and probably most on here), to sustain an unpredictable structure.'"

If we are a dying breed, then switching the system is akin to swapping deckchairs on the Titanic. Wringing more cash out of a shrinking fan base is never going to be the answer......
....I am aware that Turkeys don't often vote for Christmas, but I genuinely see a need for a 14 side competition, with 13 home games and a top 5 play-off as being the best way to give clubs stability and a pathway to improve. Getting the SL chairmen to take the hit o their SKY income would be the initial problem, but if a club needs 150,000 fans through the doors to function, then they at least know that 11,500 is the average attendance they need to achieve, but with the threat of relegation, not many clubs will spend their money o anything else other than survival, so Licencing raises its head again.....we are in a cycle of half baked changes with nothing ever given time to bed in and as soon as the SL Chairman realise that Leeds v Wigan 4 times a year isn't the silver bullet, they'll be back to change it all again. icon_rolleyes.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner1265No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: dboy "Cup & play-offs don't equal 25% of the league fixture list!

That's 25% of your saleble product whic is unknown until 2 weeks before it happens.'"

Excuses for laziness and incompetence, and only the first game is 2 weeks after the fixtures are announced.

Lenagan's latest blames everyone but himself and it would be a gross understatement to say that he 'bends the truth' with his selective use of statistics.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4208
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Mr Dog "Excuses for laziness and incompetence, and only the first game is 2 weeks after the fixtures are announced.

Lenagan's latest blames everyone but himself and it would be a gross understatement to say that he 'bends the truth' with his selective use of statistics.'"

No-one can seriously call Michael Carter lazy or incompetent.

I agree about Lenagan though.

He says the game hasn't developed for a decade, but fails to acknowledge that he has been one of those with a controlling influence in the game, throughout that period.

If the game has stagnated, it's at least partly down to him!

RankPostsTeam
International Star11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

Quote: dboy "Cup & play-offs don't equal 25% of the league fixture list!

That's 25% of your saleble product whic is unknown until 2 weeks before it happens.'"

No it's not. A team's first home game of the 8's might only have 2 weeks to sell but the other home games have longer upwards to potentially 8 weeks.

8's fixtures announced 1st August, last home fixture for clubs either 7 or 8 weeks later. So only one fixture falls under the 2 weeks to sell criticism, not 25% of games.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4208
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Ok, 25% of the fixtures are not known as the season launch.

Happy now?

The point stands - certainty and stability is needed.

That in itself is not the answer to the games issues though.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman12792
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2020Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1506.jpg
[quote:18jc6kzm]I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls[/quote:18jc6kzm] [quote:18jc6kzm]Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.[/quote:18jc6kzm] [quote="Jamie Jones-Buchanan":18jc6kzm]"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.[/quote:18jc6kzm]:1506.jpg

Quote: dboy "We have loop fixtures now. The problem is that they are unknown until July, so affecting clubs finances - how can you market or sell hospitality for an fixture list you don't know.

One element of the proposed new structure, is to know what the loop fixtures are at the season launch.'"

Nonsense. Between the announcement of the 'split' fixtures, clubs will have anywhere between eight and eighteen days till their first home game. Any club that says that they cannot possibly market an event in 8-18 days is, quite frankly, pathetic and deserves every financial difficulty that comes their way.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

Quote: Mr Dog "
Lenagan's latest blames everyone but himself and it would be a gross understatement to say that he 'bends the truth' with his selective use of statistics.'"

Agreed. This is the same Lenagan who took a Super League game to Millwall the other season but took a Super 8's game and only announced it at the end of July for a fixture taking place 6 weeks later.

Could've easily taken a regular season game there in May/June and had 6 months to sell it. He's hardly in a position to criticise planning of short notice fixtures.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4208
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: bramleyrhino "Nonsense. Between the announcement of the 'split' fixtures, clubs will have anywhere between eight and eighteen days till their first home game. Any club that says that they cannot possibly market an event in 8-18 days is, quite frankly, pathetic and deserves every financial difficulty that comes their way.'"

It's the 11 SL chairmen you are calling out.

It is they who are saying this.

You think you know better than them?

Or are they simply lying about it, with an ulterior motive?

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76030_1540929970.jpg

Quote: bramleyrhino "Nonsense. Between the announcement of the 'split' fixtures, clubs will have anywhere between eight and eighteen days till their first home game. Any club that says that they cannot possibly market an event in 8-18 days is, quite frankly, pathetic and deserves every financial difficulty that comes their way.'"

spot on!
Wigan have 4 home games to boost their income after the 11 regular season games. The plan of how and when to market these games should have been laid back in February if not earlier.....4 EVENT games with themes.....tickets sold to their loyal home fans months in advance. The idea that they waited until August 1st before doing anything is absurd

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2020Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1506.jpg
[quote:18jc6kzm]I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls[/quote:18jc6kzm] [quote:18jc6kzm]Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.[/quote:18jc6kzm] [quote="Jamie Jones-Buchanan":18jc6kzm]"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.[/quote:18jc6kzm]:1506.jpg

Quote: dboy "It's the 11 SL chairmen you are calling out.

Or are they simply lying about it, with an ulterior motive?'"

I'm saying that I agree with Hetherington, the man in charge of one of the few commercially successful clubs of either code in the country, when he says that some SL chairmen are using the structure as a convenient excuse for their own poor commercial performance.

Marketing a game of rugby in 8-18 days is not hard. You just have to do it properly and, unfortunately, that's where too many RL clubs fail.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Not lying per say but making excuses. Yes it will be tougher to sell a game in 2 weeks than one you’ve had several months to do....but you just work harder at it instead of giving up saying it’s impossible. If their team falls short of winning a GF or reaching the playoffs do they just give up or do they look at ways to do better next season? Why not take this approach when trying to sell 8’s tickets instead of selling it as an impossible job.

RankPostsTeam
International Star7122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
59880_1480501182.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_59880.jpg

I don't disagree the point they make, but their solution doesn't solve it. Michael Carter (or even Eddie Hearn) would be able to market Wakey V Hudds for the 7th time in one year.

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2020Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1506.jpg

Even if we give the clubs the benefit of the doubt, when the likes of Carter make arguments like their corporate hospitality revenues are falling or that its hard to sell corporate packages because of the eights, he's confusing correlation with causation.

Is the reason why Wakefield's corporate hospitality revenues are down (assuming that inference is correct) really because of the 8s, or is it because that the club's idea of corporate hospitality, in the year 2018, is cramming people into.a Benidorm apartment block?

74 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
74 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.830078125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Film game
karetaker
9m
Rumours thread
Kettykat
11m