FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > The Why today's announcement is an outrage' thread
286 posts in 20 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg
kcab sfrawdder Luck is a combination of preparation and opportunity Just to avoid confusion Starbug is the username of Steven Pike SOMEBODY SAID that it couldn’t be done But he with a chuckle replied That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried. So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin On his face. If he worried he hid it. He started to sing as he tackled the thing That couldn’t be done, and he did it!:9005.jpg

Quote: Chris Dalton "Certainly wasn't earned on the pitch was it?'"

No it wasn't , both Leigh and Oldham failed to qualify for the Championship season , it was however an on field decision by the RFL that ultimatley put Leigh back in there , the request from Gateshead to drop down due to their inability to put out anywhere near a competitive Championship team for 2012 meant the RFL had a decision to make , but it was never between Leigh or Oldham , in fact the club that has suffered in all this was Whitehaven , as they might have stood a better chance of staying up if either Gateshead or Oldham had got the place

Like lots of things , blame the RFL

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach792No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2015Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44566.jpg
Go hard, or go home:44566.jpg

Quote: Starbug "No it wasn't , both Leigh and Oldham failed to qualify for the Championship season , it was however an on field decision by the RFL that ultimatley put Leigh back in there , the request from Gateshead to drop down due to their inability to put out anywhere near a competitive Championship team for 2012 meant the RFL had a decision to make , but it was never between Leigh or Oldham , in fact the club that has suffered in all this was Whitehaven , as they might have stood a better chance of staying up if either Gateshead or Oldham had got the place

Like lots of things , blame the RFL'"

Blimey they looked into the future?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member28736No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4397_1335909374.png
@chemical_viking:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_4397.png

Quote: Starbug "No it wasn't , both Leigh and Oldham failed to qualify for the Championship season , it was however an on field decision by the RFL that ultimatley put Leigh back in there , the request from Gateshead to drop down due to their inability to put out anywhere near a competitive Championship team for 2012 meant the RFL had a decision to make , but it was never between Leigh or Oldham , in fact the club that has suffered in all this was Whitehaven , as they might have stood a better chance of staying up if either Gateshead or Oldham had got the place

Blame the RFL for what? I don't care about any of this. I'm merely proving that people from leigh arguing about and moaning about widnes being promoted because of off the field issues are very hypocritical because when Leigh benefitted they supported the decision.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5870No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2016Aug 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
24307.jpg
[img:24qn1m99]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b147/DrGomez/Replacementbanner.jpg?t=1284815933[/img:24qn1m99] On thread drift: [quote="tb":24qn1m99]Tough. Conversations develop. It's their nature.[/quote:24qn1m99] Little Pepe went to nursery school one day wearing his Widnes hat. His teacher asked him why he was a Widnes fan. He said, “Because my parents are.” His teacher said, “That’s not good. What would you do if your parents were drug dealers and hookers?” He replied, “Well then I would be a Warrington fan.” [i:24qn1m99]There's a Wooly over there, baggy kecks and feathered hair with a 3 star jumper half way up his back, that’s a fecking Wooly back![/i:24qn1m99] [b:24qn1m99]Oooh-to… Oooh-to-be… Oooh-to-be-a… WOOLY![/b:24qn1m99]:24307.jpg

icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

If Gateshead were not financially able to field a competitive team for the Championship, then that is definitely an off the field problem. Were Oldham even asked? Why give one Ch1 club the chance and not another?

Blame the RFL indeed. It’s pity some of the leigh fans now criticizing Widnes after this decision didn’t do the same when Leigh benefited, isn’t it?

I guess that on the field performance wasn’t an issue then, eh? icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star2016No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2013Jun 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
52085_1326377315.jpg
[img:2z3zihp3]http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i478/theboyupstairs/crossfit_logo3.gif[/img:2z3zihp3] [quote="Saddened!":2z3zihp3]You seem suicidal because McNamara hasn't picked your precious Mickey Mac, who's better than Roby, and Darryl 'Meninga' Goulding who makes Jamie Lyon look like an amateur. [/quote:2z3zihp3]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_52085.jpg

being completely impartial and as white as stevos teeth, i can safely say pepe and dalto are manifestly correct icon_biggrin.gif
i could outline my reasons for this, but the less said the less chance of my awesome reasoning being shot down with mere symantic nit picking icon_wink.gif curtain.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg
kcab sfrawdder Luck is a combination of preparation and opportunity Just to avoid confusion Starbug is the username of Steven Pike SOMEBODY SAID that it couldn’t be done But he with a chuckle replied That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried. So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin On his face. If he worried he hid it. He started to sing as he tackled the thing That couldn’t be done, and he did it!:9005.jpg

Quote: Pepe "What's your point?'"

Quote: Pepe "Pepe ,Sorry to see you go down in this way. Whilst I think you usually get what you deserve in sport, there's something not quite right about this division and this sport as a whole.

Hopefully you'll bounce right back, but any chance of a successful bid for 2012 seems almost impossible for Leigh now. '"

So you were sorry to see us go down , that would suggest we ' went down ' , Hopefully we'll bounce back , that would suggest we were ' down '

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4397_1335909374.png

Quote: Starbug "So you were sorry to see us go down , that would suggest we ' went down ' , Hopefully we'll bounce back , that would suggest we were ' down ''"

And as I've already said a million times, they reversed the decision hence you playing in the championship the next season instead of ever playing a single game in Championship 1.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg

Quote: Chris Dalton "And as I've already said a million times, they reversed the decision hence you playing in the championship the next season instead of ever playing a single game in Championship 1.'"

So it is all about , at what point are you ' relegated ' ?

When people say you are relegated , and they put a R against you in the league table ? , or when you play your first game in the lower tier ?

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4397_1335909374.png

Quote: Starbug "So it is all about , at what point are you ' relegated ' ?

When people say you are relegated , and they put a R against you in the league table ? , or when you play your first game in the lower tier ?'"

No this is just a red herring by you, this is what people do instead of debating on a reasonable level.

What you do is you use your common sense, if you've got any. You were destined for relegation, but retrospectively, we can say that you did not get relegated because you didn't play in the lower divisions and were not affected by the sting of relegation.

So when the discussion is about the fact that your club was saved from relegation, as your team has never played in the division you were to be relegated to then if you use your common sense you have to accept that this is the case. If you're not playing stupid semantic games designed to bore people to death that's what you do.

You were not relegated, you were saved by things which occured off the pitch. That's a fact.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach2466No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Pepe "Oldham competed in a Grand Final. Leigh finished in a relegation spot. Oldham should have been promoted on the back of that, and then on the field performance has been rewarded. failure has been punished.

You're now just making excuses up, for what was a disgraceful decision. There is no excuse. On the playing side Oldham should have been given that spot which was vacated by Gateshead. Given that there is no licence process between Ch & Ch1, unlike Ch & SL, Leigh really should have gone down. The off the field situation should not really have come into it.

You either believe that on the field performance is the most important thing in sport or you concede that sometimes it isn’t. You cannot have it both ways.

Personally, I was glad that Leigh were kept in. But then again, whilst not a fan of the licence system, I believe, as it is the only option on offer, Widnes are the best bet of the three other clubs. I much prefer P&R and only awarding promotion by on the field performance but, as I have said, that is not on offer. It was, and still is, on offer in the Championship1 to the Championship, yet the RFL ignored it for Leigh. It doesn’t matter what happens in other sports, or the existing league structures, or the short notice, if you truly believe that on the field performance is what matters. There is no getting away from that. Oldham would have had enough time to prepare. I bet that they weren’t even asked.'"

So not promoting a team that finished 4th and didn't win the play offs was a disgraceful decision?

J20
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6096No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45011_1321315422.jpg
This isn't a sleeping giant, it's a giant! Denis Betts Nov 2010 Twitter: @JoeyViking:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45011.jpg

I don't think these Leythers are quite getting the point icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach2466No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I wouldn't care, at no point have i ever said that Widnes didn't deserve their license. In fact, if they've got someone willing to put money into the club and invest in things such as the academy, then that can only be good for the sport.

I just think the process needs reviewing, for example, how important was the Northern Rail win in the grand scheme of things? Would the RFL really have wanted to give a license to one of Halifax, Barrow, Fev or Batley, while Widnes are sat in the Championship with all the off field setup but no NR trophy from 2 years ago?

Also the 3 year cycle does Championship clubs no good, look at Halifax, won the league, no chance of Super League for another couple of years at least, and lose a couple of their better players.

The only reason I've piped up is when people have started comparing franchising with a decision made two years ago to replace a team that went bust. The two are totally different scenarios.

J20
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6096No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45011_1321315422.jpg
This isn't a sleeping giant, it's a giant! Denis Betts Nov 2010 Twitter: @JoeyViking:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45011.jpg

It is slightly ironic though eh icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5870No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2016Aug 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
24307.jpg
[img:24qn1m99]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b147/DrGomez/Replacementbanner.jpg?t=1284815933[/img:24qn1m99] On thread drift: [quote="tb":24qn1m99]Tough. Conversations develop. It's their nature.[/quote:24qn1m99] Little Pepe went to nursery school one day wearing his Widnes hat. His teacher asked him why he was a Widnes fan. He said, “Because my parents are.” His teacher said, “That’s not good. What would you do if your parents were drug dealers and hookers?” He replied, “Well then I would be a Warrington fan.” [i:24qn1m99]There's a Wooly over there, baggy kecks and feathered hair with a 3 star jumper half way up his back, that’s a fecking Wooly back![/i:24qn1m99] [b:24qn1m99]Oooh-to… Oooh-to-be… Oooh-to-be-a… WOOLY![/b:24qn1m99]:24307.jpg

Quote: Starbug "So you were sorry to see us go down , that would suggest we ' went down ' , Hopefully we'll bounce back , that would suggest we were ' down ''"

If you read what I’ve written, you’ll actually see that I am agreeing with you on that. You went down, a little pedantic to say so, but I’ll accept that. Plus, that was written before you were handed a Championship place back by the RFL on off-the-field issues only.

Quote: Starbug "So not promoting a team that finished 4th and didn't win the play offs was a disgraceful decision?'"

Nope, whilst I would prefer it if promotion was based entirely on on-the-field performance, I understand this can’t always be the case. Leigh’s reprieve was a far clearer case of a club being promoted entirely due to off-the-field issues, than Widnes getting a licence now. At least we did actually have to fulfill an on-the-field criteria, in order to make a bid. Therefore, it wasn’t quite as clear cut and dismissive of on-the-field performance as it was for Leigh. Please tell me why Leigh weren’t allowed to make a bid, despite all the excellent infrastructure and off-the-field quality it has going for it?

In my opinion, the decision to hand Leigh a Championship place before Oldham, despite on-the-field performance being ignored totally, was probably the right decision. I accepted it at the time too, despite some misgivings.

Widnes being awarded a licence this time, under the current rules, definitely is the right decision also.

My arguments against Leigh’s promotion from Ch1 was being based on the same rationale that some Leythers are now using against Widnes. It was also a way of showing up the awful hypocrisy about the issue of on-the-field performance, shown by said Leythers, for what it truly is. At the time I never saw a single comment arguing about Leigh being favoured for promotion due entirely to off-the-field strength – not one!

But now look. icon_confused.gif

I’m not saying that all Leythers are hypocrites, most have been very sensible about the situation, but a few are making themselves look incredibly foolish. Some of them should know better.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg

Quote: Pepe "If you read what I’ve written, you’ll actually see that I am agreeing with you on that. You went down, a little pedantic to say so, but I’ll accept that. Plus, that was written before you were handed a Championship place back by the RFL on off-the-field issues only.

Nope, whilst I would prefer it if promotion was based entirely on on-the-field performance, I understand this can’t always be the case. Leigh’s reprieve was a far clearer case of a club being promoted entirely due to off-the-field issues, than Widnes getting a licence now. At least we did actually have to fulfill an on-the-field criteria, in order to make a bid. Therefore, it wasn’t quite as clear cut and dismissive of on-the-field performance as it was for Leigh. Please tell me why Leigh weren’t allowed to make a bid, despite all the excellent infrastructure and off-the-field quality it has going for it?

In my opinion, the decision to hand Leigh a Championship place before Oldham, despite on-the-field performance being ignored totally, was probably the right decision. I accepted it at the time too, despite some misgivings.

Widnes being awarded a licence this time, under the current rules, definitely is the right decision also.

My arguments against Leigh’s promotion from Ch1 was being based on the same rationale that some Leythers are now using against Widnes. It was also a way of showing up the awful hypocrisy about the issue of on-the-field performance, shown by said Leythers, for what it truly is. At the time I never saw a single comment arguing about Leigh being favoured for promotion due entirely to off-the-field strength – not one!

But now look.

icon_wave.gif

286 posts in 20 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
286 posts in 20 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.43310546875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Todays match v Saints
Captain Hook
Recent
Salford H
DSJ1983
Recent