FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > GAME ON GROUP A : Australia v England - Fri - 10:00:00
328 posts in 23 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
Administrator21082
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 199925 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8589_1512921015.jpg
[img:rn9g3499]//forums.rlfans.com/images/sigbanner2.png[/img:rn9g3499]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_8589.jpg

Administrator

Slater mentioned we were very across the park and moved the ball about well, I think we need to not change the team much for the next game just 1 or 2 here and there and work it, I think we have a great team here and we can take the Aussies I reckon.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2490
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2022Aug 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: GansonTheClown "As an aside, thought it was extremely disappointing to not fill the stadium for an Aussie England opener.'"
I also thought that it was a poor turn out considering it was Cronk & Smiths last appearance on their home ground. Also what does Highington have that keeps Taylor/any other forward out of the team?

RankPostsTeam
International Star4091No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2022Nov 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I thought it was almost full, didn’t notice many empty seats.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12723
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: wire-quin "Not sure Hill is international class. He's a poor mans Klemmer(sp) the Aussie prop who had far more of an impact. Thought Roby made a huge difference. Wingers were great, Bateman played well. Second half kicking was far better mainly due to Widdop who has become a top player. Some of the attacking shape in the second half was excellent. Defence sound

All in all plenty of positives.'"

Agree about Roby making a difference but I bet he got sick of Klemmer running at him in that second half. icon_lol.gif
Out of Englands two starting props I am far more dubious about James Grahams impact. Not the player he was.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach655No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2019Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Todd Snape Wilkinson Koukash The Faithful!:

Quote: GansonTheClown "As an aside, thought it was extremely disappointing to not fill the stadium for an Aussie England opener.'"

The attendance was 22,774 - the stadium hold 30,000. I'd blame our inability to beat them in anything meaningful in the last 30 years for the lack of interest. Hopefully that will change by the end of the tournament.

Be interesting to see attendances for the remaining games across the tournament....hopefully they'll exceed the last event over there and we can hopefully grow something meaningful off the back of it......yes, I do live in hope.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6809
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2023Jan 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18302_1567366773.png
[b:1crbsr9w] Toulouse for Championship in 2017, Super League in 2021! Avignon for Championship in 2021, Super League in 2022! [/b:1crbsr9w]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_18302.png

Heighington was useless in attack. Walmsley and Percival must be brought in, and Bateman to 2nd row to replace injured Sam Burgess, if England is to defeat France.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2833No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2022Apr 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I just don't get Bennett's thinking putting Bateman in the centre.
He's a good player but he hasn't even played at centre for his club, who have experienced a mini-crisis in that position for much of the year. There's not even anything to suggest he could do well there - he's made three try assists all year.
Meanwhile, the centre with more try assists that most half backs is watching on TV at home, and the centre with far more tries than any other in that position is watching from the stands.
I just don't get it.

Good from Roby, Widdop and both wingers. Gale seems a bit out of his depth, but he is still inexperienced at this level. Halves who look world-beaters in SL find they can't do the same against the likes of Aus and NZ. If Sneyd was waiting in the wings I'd be tempted to see how he went the next time we play a decent team, but for me there is no contest between Gale and Kevin Brown, so Gale should be playing every game.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

实事求是!:

Negatives:
End result
Burgess injury

Positives:
-Hall and McGill are beasts
-Not crumbling in the first half when things weren't going our way
-The entire second half, our shape, go forward. We went set for set, so much so that Cam Smith was banging the ball into touch just so they could have a breather. In the washout at the end stat wise, the only difference was an extra 4 or 5 sets the Aussies had in the first half due to a penalty and our unforced errors. Which resulted in their extra try (I'm ignoring the last one).
-Our combinations are rusty, put us into the 2nd half scenario a few weeks down the line and we score. Remember, the key Aussie combinations have been honed through a decade of SOO and club football, they have less leeway for rustiness.

I'd stick Percy in for Bateman, move Bateman in place of Burgess and walmsley in place of heighngton.

Australia have no inglis or Thurston, NZ are weaker due to turncoats. We can win this guys, we really can, we need to believe.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman1468
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 1970Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Nothus "He means Tom, you know, the other Burgess who played today? I didn't know which one was playing, thanks for the heads up.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach897No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2019Jan 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

As Sir Kev said afterwards: We lost the battle but not the war.

The kicking game was poor and we needed more composure close to their line but I think that will come in the weeks ahead.

We're only going to improve as the tournament progresses, under a coach as shrewd as Bennett, and I can see a re-match between Australia and England in the Brisbane Final on 2 Dec.

We were never going to beat them twice...just once will do us nicely. I'm very optimistic after that effort because this is an Aussie side without a Lewis or Meninga, a Thurston or a Daley, a Johns, Fittler or a Kenny. Sure, the Slater-Cronk-Smith spine is exceptional but they're no longer spring chickens (34, 34 and Cronk turning 34 a few days after the final). And the rest ? Nothing to worry about unduly from what I've seen today.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach897No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2019Jan 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

As Sir Kev said afterwards: We lost the battle but not the war.

The kicking game was poor and we needed more composure close to their line but I think that will come in the weeks ahead.

We're only going to improve as the tournament progresses, under a coach as shrewd as Bennett, and I can see a re-match between Australia and England in the Brisbane Final on 2 Dec.

We were never going to beat them twice...just once will do us nicely. I'm very optimistic after that effort because this is an Aussie side without a Lewis or Meninga, a Thurston or a Daley, a Johns, Fittler or a Kenny. Sure, the Slater-Cronk-Smith spine is exceptional but they're no longer spring chickens (34, 34 and Cronk turning 34 a few days after the final). And the rest ? Nothing to worry about unduly from what I've seen today.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach8261No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Nov 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[size=100:3bcizgah][url=http://twitter.com/reallyrichkelly:3bcizgah]Follow me on Twitter...[/url:3bcizgah][/size:3bcizgah]:

My thoughts:
Lomax has to be dropped. He was rubbish and he's out of his depth. Ratchford in.
Gale was garbage. Him or Williams? Not sure.
Tom Burgess shouldn't be getting a game at xlub level never mind his country. His attitude is woeful. He has openly flirted with a move to NFL for 12 months or so, and his performances reflect it. Has to be dropped.
I thought everyone else for England did well, including Heighington.

Much to build on, but the trouble is Australia will be saying exactly the same. We may have a couple of gears to go up, they have more. Can't help but feel de ja vu, how many times after a first Test have we gone away thinking we could have won it and can do them in the next game, only to get steam-rollered?

RankPostsTeam
International Star4239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

实事求是!:

Quote: richardviking "My thoughts

I think the key is, in the first half Australia were on top because of some unforced errors from us. In the 2nd half we were on top because we were better, there was more go forward with roby in charge at the ruck and it was our good play that put us in the ascendency , rather than penalties or Australia knock ons.

I see more areas for development in our game than theirs.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach675
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
46111.jpg
:46111.jpg

Quote: NickyKiss "Bateman had a better game then our 'proper' centre in fairness but he did look like a back rower playing centre. Just checked the stats and he made 156 metres today, so he clearly worked his socks off.

Move him inside one spot and get Percival in there. Sam Burgess looking at missing the next couple of games anyway.'"

by what measure? d040.gif
you forgot his p*ss poor effort at defending their second try or just ignoring it?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5762
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
46978_1481681744.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_46978.jpg

Quote: Dally "Key difference as always is that despite our so called strong pack, as the game gets going the Aussie pack dominates them, we tire and fall apart.'"

Didn't see that happen in the 2nd half at all, it got more back and forth as the 2nd half went on. It was only when the Aussies got that iffy penalty that England had to chase the game, whch was the only the last 3 minutes. Anyway if you think you're correct, it's hardly going to be helped with our best forward Sam burgess going off after 20 odd minutes is it and being a interchange player light. With the speed of the game that was always going to be hard to deal with and put extra pressure on the likes of Graham etc.

For me we just need a slight bit of tinkering with the side.We were far far better in the 2nd half but obviously need to to play a safer more structured game in the first 20 and then earn the right to play the more of the cuff stuff. Obviously we need to stop the silly passes when not needed as well. We also definitely need to tighten up in the middle of the park defensively, far too many missed.

With Sam being out, we need a big man who can make meters especially after contact, so I'd bring Walmsley in. Heighington shouldn't be in next game, play Bateman in the 2nd row, and Percival in the and you could play Roby the full 80 minutes for me, Hodgson was poor all around. Gale was poor and maybe let Williams have run against some of the other sides to see what he can do Keep Currie on the bench and maybe play Taylor off their as well if we go with an 80 minute hooker. Probabaly wouldn't need to tinker that much till we meet the next big team.

Thought Widdop was alright in the 2nd half , Sam was great while he was on. Roby was great when he came on and changed the feel of the game. Graham was a workshorse, Hill did OK and the wingers were especially excellent imo. Lomax wasn't good at all and Gale was hardly visible.

328 posts in 23 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
328 posts in 23 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.20654296875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Salford H
HU8HFC
9m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
9m