OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27476.gif
:CROWN: I am the hash browns of rlfans :CROWN::27476.gif

Quote: CM Punk "Bateman to Wigan from Bradford would qualify there tbf.'"

That was 2013 wasn’t it? 9 years sort of proves the point. I’m not saying never but it’s not really how either teams recruitment strategy works!

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman1468
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 1970Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Magic Superbeetle "When was the last time Saints or Wigan signed a highly rated young player from another SL team? Certainly in recent years all of Saints signings have been either from the NRL, or the lower divisions. We went through a phase of signing established SL journeymen during the Cunningham era, but I can’t really think of anything similar to Jake Truman for example. Agitating and disrupting highly talented juniors tend to be a Warrington trait (see Matty Nicholson, they were pushing for Truman last year etc). On the specific Lewis example, Saints have Dodd and Wigan Smith, so I think it’s unlikely there’s a risk of poaching.

Part of the reason Saints and Wigan have been successful is they tend to be able to pay less than market value for the players coming through their academy, giving them deeper squads, and pick and choose the opportunities they give. They also tend to be more patient. Ben Davies had to wait until 23 for his chance this year with Saints, same with Sam Royle whom HKR have just'"

You both have a tendency to suck them up at junior level, it's no wonder they have stars in there eye

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner5852
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Ahh Tesco Building St Helens & Warrington's future Destroying Wigans past "Viva Ben Flower, Viva Ben Flower, could have won the cup but you Messed it up Viva Ben Flower":

Quote: thickorthin "It’s ironic. One could say Saints and Wigan are actually the most narrow minded of all of SL. They were at the forefront of the split with the RFL, the appointment of Robert Elstone, and now cutting the league down to 10 so they can have more TV money. Wigan and Saints need less influence on the game because they are the ones causing damage.

Saints are top of the league but can’t sell their ground week in week out? Yet other teams get slandered for their support?'"

Do you not realise that St Helens is only a small town. Wigan, Warrington are triple the size in population. Leeds & Hull are massive cities.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator12642
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33809_1522680904.png
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_33809.png

Quote: Magic Superbeetle "When was the last time Saints or Wigan signed a highly rated young player from another SL team? Certainly in recent years all of Saints signings have been either from the NRL, or the lower divisions. We went through a phase of signing established SL journeymen during the Cunningham era, but I can’t really think of anything similar to Jake Truman for example. Agitating and disrupting highly talented juniors tend to be a Warrington trait (see Matty Nicholson, they were pushing for Truman last year etc). On the specific Lewis example, Saints have Dodd and Wigan Smith, so I think it’s unlikely there’s a risk of poaching.

Part of the reason Saints and Wigan have been successful is they tend to be able to pay less than market value for the players coming through their academy, giving them deeper squads, and pick and choose the opportunities they give. They also tend to be more patient. Ben Davies had to wait until 23 for his chance this year with Saints, same with Sam Royle whom HKR have just'"

You can also pay less than us (for example) for pretty much any player; we have to pay a relative premium because we don’t offer trophies… which then feels a bit self-fulfilling. Even if we do outbid you, we’re getting somebody more motivated by money than by winning.

The number of academy products in Saints team is genuinely impressive. I don’t want to underestimate all the hard work that goes on behind the scenes. But it doesn’t feel like you’re reliant on it. If you had a few fallow years, you could pay fees to fill the gap and that provides confidence even if you don’t have to do it.

The academy is a good place to invest extra cash, once you’re already spending up to the cap. Diverting money away from the first team makes less sense if you’re not and when your day-to-day SL existence is dreary in a good year and excruciating in a bad year, and those kids whose confidence isn’t ruined will likely leave to compete higher up the table. Fwiw, our club CEO completely disagrees with me and is fully bought in to the Saints model, so I get to be right or happy… if we stay in SL long enough to test the theory. The Rovers fans nearly all seem to be on board with it too. If Rovers can generate enough revenue to field and maintain a strong first team, then a strong academy would be a very valuable complement. Maybe with the ground purchase and potential development, [imaybe[/i it’ll become possible. I don’t think ‘academy first’ is likely to work. We need it all together and for that we’d need an initial and substantial injection of capital that will never see a financial return. On top of what the current owner already puts in.

I would be curious to know how much more Saints have spent on their academy over the last 10 years and compare it with Rovers’ spend. Have we spent much less than you (I assume so, but would like to know the difference) or just spent it much, much less effectively… or both?!

RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player1219
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Sep 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
78702_1663485587.jpeg
Wakefield Wildcats RLFANS Quiz Champion 2023:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_78702.jpeg

St Helens have turned a second rower from York into the best second rower in the country by a country mile. A guy who is in his mid 20’s. This proves my point about the coaching set up.

All eyes are on Hull FC who are currently tearing up the academy. It will be interesting to see if any of those end up as quality first teamers. I tell you what though, the Wigan academy is currently in the lower end of the table but I guarantee some of that academy team will end up as quality first team players for Wigan

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5214No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27476.gif
:CROWN: I am the hash browns of rlfans :CROWN::27476.gif

Quote: snowie "You both have a tendency to suck them up at junior level, it's no wonder they have stars in there eye'"

This is a more interesting argument. It’s definitely easy to get into a logic loop of “do the two academies attract the best young players because they’re most likely to become professional players, or are the two academies most likely to produce professional players because they attract the best young players”?

I know Saints put a lot into attracting the youngsters they want. Before Covid the Australia tour was seen as a massive incentive to join. I don’t know how other clubs approach attracting young talent and it’s very much back to MildRovers original hypothesis of money which may be a differentiating factor. I suspect Saints and Wigan spend the most in junior rugby and coaching. The question is is the likely difference more or less than say what Warrington have spent on marquees

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6767No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Dwarfs, Gnomes, Halflings/GNOME2.JPG
The new young dynasty of super saints is coming to a ground near you. Welsby-Dodd-Simms-Eaves-Rizzelli, not Eastmond...the future is coming.:Dwarfs, Gnomes, Halflings/GNOME2.JPG

Quote: Magic Superbeetle "This is a more interesting argument. It’s definitely easy to get into a logic loop of “do the two academies attract the best young players because they’re most likely to become professional players, or are the two academies most likely to produce professional players because they attract the best young players”?

I know Saints put a lot into attracting the youngsters they want. Before Covid the Australia tour was seen as a massive incentive to join. I don’t know how other clubs approach attracting young talent and it’s very much back to MildRovers original hypothesis of money which may be a differentiating factor. I suspect Saints and Wigan spend the most in junior rugby and coaching. The question is is the likely difference more or less than say what Warrington have spent on marquees'"

I always remember watching a game at Rylands quite a few years with quite a lot of young talent on show. Spoke to quite a few of the players parents and shocked to hear them say we don't want our lads signing up in the Warrington Scholarship we want them to go through the Saints set up because they will develop into better players.

And its still going on today, Saints have signed up quite a few Rylands players because they are attracted to the club culture they might not play for the first team but its their preferred option to be that better player.

RankPostsTeam
International Star914No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201411 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

All very interesting but it's all down to cold hard cash

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6767No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
The new young dynasty of super saints is coming to a ground near you. Welsby-Dodd-Simms-Eaves-Rizzelli, not Eastmond...the future is coming.:Dwarfs, Gnomes, Halflings/GNOME2.JPG

Quote: wotsupcas "All very interesting but it's all down to cold hard cash'"

Take all that cold hard cash away (salary cap) and the result would be the same Wigan and Saints would still dominate:

This is the saints team with all the money taken away and you can only spend use the academy production line and championship level:

1. Bennison
2. Grace
3. Percival
4 Davies
5. Makinson
6. Lomax
7. Dodd
8. Walmsley
9. Roby
10. Lees
11 Knowles
12. Batchelor
13. Welsby

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6767No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Judder Man "Take all that cold hard cash away (salary cap) and the result would be the same Wigan and Saints would still dominate

It would be interesting for fans from other clubs to challenge that quality depth.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator12642
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33809_1522680904.png
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_33809.png

Quote: Judder Man "It would be interesting for fans from other clubs to challenge that quality depth.'"

Because it is a completely different argument that nobody is making, but gets us back to admiring the Saints way?

The Saints way works very well for Saints’ and suits their current circumstances. That’s absolutely fine. If Rovers could afford it, and would see the same sort of return I’d be all for it. Other clubs do have to prioritise though, and when you’re struggling to put food on the table, your wealthy cousin rocking up and suggesting you invest for the long-term and implying you’re profligate or stupid for not doing so can be a little tiresome.

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1353
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Didnt realise Walmsley or batchelor came through your academy.

1- Hanley
2- Thornley
3- KPP
4- Halsall
5- Marshall
6-Powell
7- Smith
8- Byrne
9- Oneill
10- Havard
11-Smithies
12- Farrell
13- Shorrocks

I know none of these would get in your team as they are not worthy but one must try.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach224No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20396_1609412681.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_20396.jpg

Very impressive as well, that's probably why he said Wigan and Saints would still lead the way.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator12642
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33809_1522680904.png

So we’d all like, hypothetically, to see Saints and/or Wigan run with the same budget for their entire rugby department as Wakefield (for example) do now, for a decade to see how it pans out?

RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player1219
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Sep 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
78702_1663485587.jpeg
Wakefield Wildcats RLFANS Quiz Champion 2023:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_78702.jpeg

Quote: Jason65 "Didnt realise Walmsley or batchelor came through your academy.

1- Hanley
2- Thornley
3- KPP
4- Halsall
5- Marshall
6-Powell
7- Smith
8- Byrne
9- Oneill
10- Havard
11-Smithies
12- Farrell
13- Shorrocks

I know none of these would get in your team as they are not worthy but one must try.'"

KPP didn’t come through your academy

96 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
96 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.93017578125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Tonights match v HKR
matt_wire
13m
Recruitment rumours and links
Philth
13m