JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Cronus "My concerns around expansion are that we're risking destroying clubs and their long standing fan base, community heritage and family tradition, and weakening UK RL overall, for expansion clubs which have mostly been proven to fail.

Once those clubs and that tradition is gone, it's gone. If a team goes to the wall, it's all lost forever. If we throw (for example) Widnes, Wakey, Salford and Hudds out for expansion sides, our already weakened UK RL community becomes weaker as fans and tradition drift away. That affects TV audiences, sponsorship revenues, amateur playing numbers, online engagement and revenue, and more.

The elephant in the room is that if we fill SL with expansion and international teams, RL in the UK will shrink, not grow, and that is a disaster.

So what exactly is the goal with 'expansion'? If we end up with Catalans, Toulouse, Toronto, New York, Barcelona and whoever else in SL...what is the goal? Because it seems to me you're replacing medium sized UK clubs for medium sized expansion clubs. You're simply displacing the fan base for a club that - as we've seen over and over - could vanish in a heartbeat.

Is the goal a disjointed and contrived 'international' Super League? Or is it to establish competitions in France, North America and wherever else and eventually those teams rejoin their national leagues? Because either way, RL in the UK will be smaller and weaker. And that's before even talking about what a decreasing audience and interest does to sponsorship, advertising and TV revenues.

Furthermore, half your home games with zero visiting fans and a quiet, dull atmosphere, and being unable to attend half your away games due to cost and distance is NOT driving the game forward from a fan's perspective - and we seem to be forgetting the game exists for the fans.

I'm all for expansion, but not at the cost of killing off existing clubs. A strong UK Super League with strong French and North American leagues should be the goal, with a Champions League-type competition to garner international interest.'"

But by that logic then there should never be expansion because it is a great fear to take any risks?

You are forgetting that the great pioneers who started off this great game took a huge risk when they broke away from the establishment.

Any success is often built on a series of failure, but the success comes from the determination to keep trying!

Yes, there hace been many failed clubs, but look at the pattern. Those failed clubs were often rushed attempts.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76030_1540929970.jpg
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES????? £20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000. The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover. There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT::d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_76030.jpg

Quote: spegs "Invest the misappropriated funding in the grass roots and build from there.'"

who exactly has misappropriated funds? London, PSG and Crusaders received less than £30,000,000 collectively over 20 years......so who has been short changed? The likes of Wakefield are the real waste of cash.......£1.8 million a year spent avoiding relegation........major franchises and identifiable cities,,,,,not the likes of Salford or Widnes.....

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain272
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2020Apr 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76831_1533236637.jpg
"Never forget the people who love you... [b:3fuoixbx]The Supporters[/b:3fuoixbx]" Roger Millward MBE 1947-2016 Hull Kingston Rovers, Hull's [b:3fuoixbx]number one[/b:3fuoixbx] club:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_76831.jpg

The rugby league public care for clubs with history and tradition, not major 'super clubs' or 'major franchises'

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76030_1540929970.jpg
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES????? £20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000. The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover. There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT::d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_76030.jpg

Quote: EastHullUTR "The rugby league public care for clubs with history and tradition, not major 'super clubs' or 'major franchises''"

The rugby league public voted leave and are ageing and becoming extinct faster than the T rex......if we don't evolve, we will die!

Richmond......London Scottish.....these were major union clubs up to the 90's.........the rfu stepped over their corpses on the way to being strong comp......we should do the same with the likes of Wakefield and not shed a tear in doing so.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain272
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2020Apr 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76831_1533236637.jpg
"Never forget the people who love you... [b:3fuoixbx]The Supporters[/b:3fuoixbx]" Roger Millward MBE 1947-2016 Hull Kingston Rovers, Hull's [b:3fuoixbx]number one[/b:3fuoixbx] club:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_76831.jpg

Quote: Call Me God "The rugby league public voted leave and are ageing and becoming extinct faster than the T rex......if we don't evolve, we will die!

Richmond......London Scottish.....these were major union clubs up to the 90's.........the rfu stepped over their corpses on the way to being strong comp......we should do the same with the likes of Wakefield and not shed a tear in doing so.'"

Making the argument about age or political leaning really isn't going to strengthen your point. No one up north cares about Rugby Union no one down south cares about Rugby League

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76030_1540929970.jpg

Quote: EastHullUTR "Making the argument about age or political leaning really isn't going to strengthen your point. No one up north cares about Rugby Union no one down south cares about Rugby League'"

Really.....you have stats to prove this do you? Guess what...I have loads of stats that prove you're wrong, but carry on with your opinion......

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain250No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: EastHullUTR "Making the argument about age or political leaning really isn't going to strengthen your point. No one up north cares about Rugby Union no one down south cares about Rugby League'"

Then your foolish ignorance is the problem.

It will always come back to the same choice: expand or die.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member2448No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Sep 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3390_1304612784.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3390.gif

Quote: Cronus "My concerns around expansion are that we're risking destroying clubs and their long standing fan base, community heritage and family tradition, and weakening UK RL overall, for expansion clubs which have mostly been proven to fail.

Once those clubs and that tradition is gone, it's gone. If a team goes to the wall, it's all lost forever. If we throw (for example) Widnes, Wakey, Salford and Hudds out for expansion sides, our already weakened UK RL community becomes weaker as fans and tradition drift away. That affects TV audiences, sponsorship revenues, amateur playing numbers, online engagement and revenue, and more.

The elephant in the room is that if we fill SL with expansion and international teams, RL in the UK will shrink, not grow, and that is a disaster.

So what exactly is the goal with 'expansion'? If we end up with Catalans, Toulouse, Toronto, New York, Barcelona and whoever else in SL...what is the goal? Because it seems to me you're replacing medium sized UK clubs for medium sized expansion clubs. You're simply displacing the fan base for a club that - as we've seen over and over - could vanish in a heartbeat.

Is the goal a disjointed and contrived 'international' Super League? Or is it to establish competitions in France, North America and wherever else and eventually those teams rejoin their national leagues? Because either way, RL in the UK will be smaller and weaker. And that's before even talking about what a decreasing audience and interest does to sponsorship, advertising and TV revenues.

Furthermore, half your home games with zero visiting fans and a quiet, dull atmosphere, and being unable to attend half your away games due to cost and distance is NOT driving the game forward from a fan's perspective - and we seem to be forgetting the game exists for the fans.

I'm all for expansion, but not at the cost of killing off existing clubs. A strong UK Super League with strong French and North American leagues should be the goal, with a Champions League-type competition to garner international interest.'"

Print this off, drive to SL HQ and, like Martin Luther, nail this on Elstone’s office door.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76030_1540929970.jpg

Quote: mapleyther "Print this off, drive to SL HQ and, like Martin Luther, nail this on Elstone’s office door.'"

only as a blueprint of what not to do....if you can't fill a 10,000 seat stadium then you really shouldn't be getting close to £2,000,000 in handouts each year.......RL fans.......and make no mistake, there are maybe 70,0000 of them left, are getting older and more selective as to where they spend their pensions....so it is time to forget pandering to them and to start finding a new audience.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman12792
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2020Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1506.jpg
[quote:18jc6kzm]I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls[/quote:18jc6kzm] [quote:18jc6kzm]Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.[/quote:18jc6kzm] [quote="Jamie Jones-Buchanan":18jc6kzm]"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.[/quote:18jc6kzm]:1506.jpg

Quote: Call Me God "only as a blueprint of what not to do....if you can't fill a 10,000 seat stadium then you really shouldn't be getting close to £2,000,000 in handouts each year.......RL fans.......and make no mistake, there are maybe 70,0000 of them left, are getting older and more selective as to where they spend their pensions....so it is time to forget pandering to them and to start finding a new audience.'"

This.

The "traditional RL fan" isn't going to keep this sport going as a professional entity. No amount of Eddie Hearn or demanding that the RFL "do something" will ever change that.

This doesn't have to be an issue of expansion of we don't want it to be, but the inaction of the clubs to grow, to promote themselves and to engage new audiences is what is necessitating this expansion drive. If Salford were successful in engaging Yuppies in Manchester and if Widnes were successful in reaching those affluent audiences in Cheshire, the expansion debate would be a very different one.

You can cling to intangible measures such as "atmosphere" as much as you like, but that atmosphere is going to decline anyway for as long as we keep listing to our dying breed of supporters who resist anything that we try and do to find the next generation of fans to replace them.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4091No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2022Nov 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

We cannot afford to risk the magnificent magical atmosphere that can be experienced at the AJ Bell Stadium or Belle Vue Wakefield, by bringing in either Toulouse or Toronto, there is far too much to lose and we will never get it back. Apparently.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain112
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2021Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Wolves FC/Wigan RL:

For me, I’d love to see RL expanded as much as possible. Living in the Midlands, I want to pick up a newspaper and see it on the back page, walk into a pub and see it on the screens, and walk into the office on a Monday and have people talking about the weekends games.

But, whenever people talk about expansion, it’s always seems to be at the expense of the more traditional clubs, or that Super League is the be all and end all, yet it really shouldn’t be. It’s the grassroots structure of the game that needs supporting and expanding.

We need a two pronged attack of actively establishing teams in non heartland areas, but we also need a stronger Championship and League 1.

You look at football and you have at least 15-20 teams outside of the Premier League capable of being in there. The Championship is the fourth highest attended league in Europe, with the money to boot. Outside Super League? Two, three, four clubs at a push, and half of them would be around the bottom not adding much to the competition.

I thought we were going the right way with adding teams like Coventry, Oxford and Hemel to League One and giving that route to success, whilst allowing them to build at their own pace. But we need to close that gap between Super League and the Championship so that it’s not like dropping off a cliff edge, and that year in year we can have a healthy competition with promotion/relegation to keep it fresh.

If you have that sustainable route, then given time you’ll see ambitious and well run clubs rise to the top, whatever part of the country (or world) they are in.

Firstly though, we really need to get the RFL run in a more commercially astute manner, particularly regarding marketing and contacts, but if we can get that right, then we’ve got a game that has all the potential to go from strength to strength. Look at the rise in popularity of NFL over the last few years, it’s not all about football. If we can get the right league structure in place, alongside pushing the boundaries of the game into new areas, then it’ll be up to the ‘traditional’ clubs themselves as to whether they want to sink or swim. It should never be a closed shop where mediocrity is allowed to flourish.

I also agree with a post earlier, that the richer clubs need to be allowed to spend. Intoduce something like FFP in football to protect clubs from themselves rather than a cap that puts everyone to the lowest possible denominator. That in itself will force clubs to improve themselves off the field if they want to compete.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1345No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2021Dec 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20696.gif
:20696.gif

Quote: Call Me God "who exactly has misappropriated funds? London, PSG and Crusaders received less than £30,000,000 collectively over 20 years......so who has been short changed? The likes of Wakefield are the real waste of cash.......£1.8 million a year spent avoiding relegation........major franchises and identifiable cities,,,,,not the likes of Salford or Widnes.....'"

You do love to live in the past, do you not ? Wakefield have every chance of finishing in 5th place this season, same chance as last season. Trinity, a founder member of the Northern Union, have never been relegated by their performance on the field.

RankPostsTeam
International Star7194
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2019Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

einstien said insanity is when a person does the same thing over and over again but expects a different result:

Quote: Miro "You do love to live in the past, do you not ? Wakefield have every chance of finishing in 5th place this season, same chance as last season. Trinity, a founder member of the Northern Union, have never been relegated by their performance on the field.'"
]

Yes they have

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1345No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2021Dec 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20696.gif
:20696.gif

Quote: Sir Kevin Sinfield "We cannot afford to risk the magnificent magical atmosphere that can be experienced at the AJ Bell Stadium or Belle Vue Wakefield, by bringing in either Toulouse or Toronto, there is far too much to lose and we will never get it back. Apparently.'"

Name me a ground that has "magnificent magical atmosphere". I shall then visit said ground and compare it with Belle Vue, Even then, to mention the AJ Bell and Belle Vue in the same context is rather silly.

66 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
66 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.85009765625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
chapylad
5m
Proposed rule changes 2025
leeds owl
6m