FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > The RFL cannot attract money; drop P & R, install franchises
96 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach4687No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13804.jpg
"I hope we get to the bottom of the answer":13804.jpg

Quote: William Eve "Bring back franchises!
RankPostsTeam
International Star5123
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
60524_1510403940.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_60524.jpg

I quite like the idea of bringing London back into SL - after all it worked so well last time.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif
:simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: Tigerade "I quite like the idea of bringing London back into SL - after all it worked so well last time.'"

They are well placed to get back on merit.
They only need to beat Leeds in the M8's and they will be on their way icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously though, the only way for the sport to expand, without it taking most of this century, is to go with some sort of franchise system but, we scrapped that model 2 years ago.
Another piece of brilliant forward thinking by all involved.

Clearly, there needs to be some serious thought on the best way forward for the game and this needs to be have input from clubs and fans alike.

The inclusion of Toulouse, who look pretty strong and 2? Canadian clubs, is exciting but, do we expect them to make the grade for SL or, are we just "waiting to see" what happens.

IF the sport is going to develop and IF we are to have additional clubs in SL from other countries, then there will be casualties from the heartland clubs (or we run with an expanded SL) but, yet again, there is just no dialogue from the games administrators.

Expect the usual "mushroom" style, kept in the dark and regularly fed with s4it"

RankPostsTeam
International Star394No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

P+r does not work in RL.

We just seem to love the romance of some of the village clubs being able to make it into SL.

Thank God we don't have one up one down like so many want. We could lose 200k a year spectators that frequent the Rhinos to be replaced by Broncos who play on a park field or a suburb of Wigan.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11032No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2020Mar 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4157.jpg
:4157.jpg

ANYTHING but bring back franchising, it made following the game a chore rather than a pleasure, after a quarter of a season teams had nothing to play for. I blame franchising for nearly killing my club as fans just weren't bothered..... Literally some of my mates had season tickets and wouldn't go for free to the games at the end of the season. How can you expect people to pay for something people won't have for free ?? If it was upto me I'd have 1 up 1 down with a top 5 play off system.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1306
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2021Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
67446_1336737201.png
[b:mygo02ha]And the Geek shall inherit the Earth![/b:mygo02ha]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_67446.png

Catalans are a decent side but surely by now the French should have a whole RL league of their own and field a decent international side.

The problem, unfortunately, is that people aren't that interested in RL and not matter how much money you throw at teams in expansion areas, unless they expand domestically as well, the expansion is a falsehood.

Toulouse has been around a while as has the french Elite league but I don't hear of a fully pro RL league in France similar to SL being considered, simply because of the deafening lack of domestic french investment. A big shame, but there it is.

Ditching the heartland clubs in favour of expansion is actually more suicidal and false than keeping the status quo in the long term.

More should be done to create domestic professional leagues in all countries first. This in turn would produce an authentic international game. SL could then become like a Champions League in football. However, doing this first is not the right answer.

RankPostsTeam
International Star394No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Cas Till I Die "ANYTHING but bring back franchising, it made following the game a chore rather than a pleasure, after a quarter of a season teams had nothing to play for. I blame franchising for nearly killing my club as fans just weren't bothered..... Literally some of my mates had season tickets and wouldn't go for free to the games at the end of the season. How can you expect people to pay for something people won't have for free ?? If it was upto me I'd have 1 up 1 down with a top 5 play off system.'"

Wasn't it partly because of franchising that Cas were able to build year on year to become a top 6 club that you are now?

One up one down is ridiculous for a comp the size of SL. How many clubs did it almost kill trying to chase the dream.

We have no clubs other than Bradford that I would say bring anything to
SL.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain973No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Wire Quin at work:

Maybe have P&R with the team coming up getting one years grace if they finish bottom

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain973No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Wire Quin at work:

Quote: "We have no clubs other than Bradford that I would say bring anything to
SL.'"

What like repeated insolvency.

What does a small club like Leicester bring to soccer, sod all get rid of them?

RankPostsTeam
International Star990No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Sep 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Franchising should have been the way to go. Unfortunately like a lot of things in RL we did it half heartedly (stadiums letting clubs go bankrupt etc)and quickly gave up on it.

Despite this we saw some decent progress and foundations put in place for a lot of clubs.

It's an interesting debate, I don't want to lose some of the history of our great sport, but I can't see what adding another club in the same fan and player catchment area will do for our game.

In terms of a model to follow, the Super 14's (or whatever it's called). Is the one I'd look at. They have a big Base in Aus, a second in SA and teams reaching out to emerging markets in Japan and Argentina. It works, people don't worry about the time it takes, or away travel cost.

SL could look to follow that with teams in England (Aus) France (SA) plus Canada (Japan).

I don't think P and R will help teams grow and build in the long term, and as a result any excitement it provides will always be short term. And that's before I start thinking about the benefits in terms of player development.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif
:simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: Barrie's Glass Eye "Franchising should have been the way to go. Unfortunately like a lot of things in RL we did it half heartedly (stadiums letting clubs go bankrupt etc)and quickly gave up on it.

Despite this we saw some decent progress and foundations put in place for a lot of clubs.

It's an interesting debate, I don't want to lose some of the history of our great sport, but I can't see what adding another club in the same fan and player catchment area will do for our game.

In terms of a model to follow, the Super 14's (or whatever it's called). Is the one I'd look at. They have a big Base in Aus, a second in SA and teams reaching out to emerging markets in Japan and Argentina. It works, people don't worry about the time it takes, or away travel cost.

SL could look to follow that with teams in England (Aus) France (SA) plus Canada (Japan).

I don't think P and R will help teams grow and build in the long term, and as a result any excitement it provides will always be short term. And that's before I start thinking about the benefits in terms of player development.'"

Franchising was indeed the sensible option but, the failure of clubs within that framework, which should have meant their removal, didn't happen.
Also, the inclusion of a new club, that was deemed strong enough, didn't happen (although the criteria for being strong enough will be both contentious and interesting).

You have to say that the handling of the old system was down right appalling.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain973No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Wire Quin at work:

Quote: "In terms of a model to follow, the Super 14's (or whatever it's called). Is the one I'd look at. They have a big Base in Aus, a second in SA and teams reaching out to emerging markets in Japan and Argentina. It works, people don't worry about the time it takes, or away travel cost.'"

Until the super 14s or whatever it is called came along RU crowds in Aus were dreadfully small. This new format lifted the sport there for certain.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1164No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2022Dec 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I remember a team winning the Championship from 2010 > 2014, a remarkable feat - how are they to progress in licensing?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11032No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2020Mar 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4157.jpg
:4157.jpg

Quote: tenerifeRhino "Wasn't it partly because of franchising that Cas were able to build year on year to become a top 6 club that you are now?

One up one down is ridiculous for a comp the size of SL. How many clubs did it almost kill trying to chase the dream.

We have no clubs other than Bradford that I would say bring anything to
SL.'"

I'd half agree that franchising helped us blood younger players however we did that in NL1 when we had cleared the dead wood and were forced to play youth because of the lower SC (players such as Shenny)Compare our attendances now to when we were in a franchise. The town couldn't be bothered with RL when this was in place and many other towns across the heartlands were the same. P & R gives fans hope which translates to money for the game. If it were upto me the promoted team would have a years exemption from relegation the first year to be able to recruit the following year knowing they were in SL (which helped Catalans no end at the expense of my own club). Under this system Leigh for example could be a viable SL club.... Look at HKR.

That said we have given the current system 18 months so far and we are talking about changing again ??? Why not give the current system a chance for a few seasons, Bradford were not far off of winning promotion last year through this system.... In the cup you do see the odd Championship win over SL opposition.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1164No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2022Dec 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Cas Till I Die "In the cup you do see the odd Championship win over SL opposition.'"

Yes, remember 2012 icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

96 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
96 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.29833984375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
Jack Burton
9m
Film game
Boss Hog
9m