FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > All Stars team..
233 posts in 17 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: PHIPPS "So you think if it was announced that the England football team would be playing a one off game (maybe to become a regular fixture) against a brand new side containing the best foreigners that are currently playing in the Premier league no one would be interested?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11377
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2960.jpg
:2960.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "Do Australia continue to play against England?'"

Not in mid season friendlies, no. That is what we're talking about, is it not?

Quote: SmokeyTA "When we were demolished by Australia in 2002 we had an Australian tour in 2003 and the start of the tri-nations (in earnest the 99 tri-nations wasnt really the same format, or regularity) in 2004. What are replacing the game against France with, that includes France? We swapped the friendlies for competitive games, our results were closer, when we have done the same with France the results have been closer. If we follow your logic, why are we casting France out and not bringing them in?'"

We have given France the chance of competitive games against us in the 4N - they didn't qualify as they couldn't even beat Wales.

Quote: SmokeyTA "So which time scale was the same timescale if not the same as the timescale which was mentioned?'"

The "same timescale" was the same length of time over which the 20 games against Australia had been played, obviously.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: FearTheVee "Not in mid season friendlies, no. That is what we're talking about, is it not?'"
No, games against France in general. As i said previously, we should have a mid season tri-nations against Wales and France, it would be one extra game, it would be competitive games, and we would be more likely to see players like Carvell stick with Wales improving their squad (changing back to GB for games against Australia and NZ)

Quote: FearTheVee "We have given France the chance of competitive games against us in the 4N - they didn't qualify as they couldn't even beat Wales.'"
what do we to do qualify for the 4N. And France only get the opportunity to qualify for every other tri-nations

Quote: FearTheVee "The same timescale was the length of time covering the 20 games against Australia you mentioned, obviously.'"
so 20 games then? It would only be fair to use the same scale.

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2960.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "No, games against France in general. As i said previously, we should have a mid season tri-nations against Wales and France, it would be one extra game, it would be competitive games, and we would be more likely to see players like Carvell stick with Wales improving their squad (changing back to GB for games against Australia and NZ) '"

Thing is though, we aren't replacing an imaginary mid season tri-nations with a game against the all stars, we're replacing a mid-season friendly against France.

Quote: SmokeyTA "what do we to do qualify for the 4N.'"

Be demonstrably and comfortably better than the next best team.

Quote: SmokeyTA "And France only get the opportunity to qualify for every other tri-nations'"

If they could qualify for the thing in the first place and ever beat anybody in it (let alone make a couple of finals like England), then I'm sure they'd be asked back every year.

Quote: SmokeyTA "so 20 games then? It would only be fair to use the same scale.'"

No, hence why I said "same timescale" not "same number of games". Thought it was quite clear myself. Quite what results from before RL in England was even fully pro have to do with whether we play France in a mid season friendly in 2011, I have no idea.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner28186No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif
"As you travel through life don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin [url:2cg5oc2o]http://twitter.com/AndyGilder[/url:2cg5oc2o] [url:2cg5oc2o]http://fromthewesternterrace.blogspot.co.uk[/url:2cg5oc2o] This week: Four keys to a Rhinos win in the WCC:Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif

Quote: FearTheVee "Be demonstrably and comfortably better than the next best team..'"

Over what timescale? icon_wink.gif

Seriously, you're not expecting to get anything other than a fog plaiting session out of this are you?

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2960.jpg

Quote: Andy Gilder "Over what timescale?
Point taken, over and out! icon_biggrin.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: FearTheVee "Thing is though, we aren't replacing an imaginary mid season tri-nations with a game against the all stars, we're replacing a mid-season friendly against France.'"
Which is why any all stars gimmick (if at all) should be in addition to, and not replacing international RL. We could do both. Or we could just drop the pointless all-star game.

Quote: FearTheVee "Be demonstrably and comfortably better than the next best team.
'"
When did we do this?
Quote: FearTheVee "If they could qualify for the thing in the first place and ever beat anybody in it (let alone make a couple of finals like England), then I'm sure they'd be asked back every year.'"
and how are the supposed to do this when we dont play them any more?

Quote: FearTheVee "No, hence why I said "same timescale" not "same number of games". Thought it was quite clear myself. Quite what results from before RL in England was even fully pro have to do with whether we play France in a mid season friendly in 2011, I have no idea.'"
Ahh, so you want to compare 20 tests against Australia to 6 against France. And for no discernible reason we set that timescale, randomly at 11 years. That seems, well.... random.

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2960.jpg

Quote: Andy Gilder "Over what timescale? icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: FearTheVee "
They are two very different questions you know.

The reason i was asking was because it was clearly obvious that we never have done, it is simply assumed.

Frankly nobody could say with any certainty who the next best would even be, it is entirely dependant on what team each country could be bothered putting out. Christ the look at what the Cook Islands achieved!

France, Samoa, Fiji, Tonga, PNG could all have a decent stab at it. With the support of the NRL and SL put out decent, competitive teams who could all beat each other, and with with a bit of look scrape a result against England.

But we simply dont know who is better, and what they could do, because we dont play anywhere near enough international RL and very few nations and very rarely do they get the chance to play the big teams.

We need more international RL, even if there is few drubbings in there, not less, this game would be a nice addition to the calendar, but it is superfluous and certainly not a replacement for international RL

It is sad that the arrogance and disregard the ARL have shown over the years to international RL has spread to these shores.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner10000No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8202.jpg
[url=//www.facebook.com/wellsmotors:2svvs5eg][img:2svvs5eg]//i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd30/wellsy13/Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg[/img:2svvs5eg][/url:2svvs5eg]:8202.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "And you say you arent arrogant or disrespectful to France icon_biggrin.gifOH:

Agree with replacing MM. Whilst it is a fun day, it would be more beneficial and probably just as entertaining to watch Internationals/7's than SL games.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner10000No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8202.jpg
[url=//www.facebook.com/wellsmotors:2svvs5eg][img:2svvs5eg]//i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd30/wellsy13/Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg[/img:2svvs5eg][/url:2svvs5eg]:8202.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "I think you will find you have changed the question. It would "if we had played" if you meant purely past tense " if we played" would still be the future tense. Do i think if we had played France 20 times over the past 11 years they would have beaten us at least once? yeah probably so. We have been pretty appalling at times and France have put on some pretty good results against, Australia, NZ and ourselves'"

You think a team of part-timers from a nation not even regarded as fourth best in the world would beat a team of full-timers who have been regarded as second to third best in the world? I'd like to see he odds on something like that!
Who was the last team to beat Aus/NZ outside of the big three and when was that?

Quote: SmokeyTA "Well yes, it is. It is pretty arrogant to think that if we played France 20 times they wouldnt beat us once. '"

it's not arrogant at all. It's a pretty fair claim based on the strength of the two nations teams and past results in similar situations. It's not undue, it's not unfounded. And it cannot be compared to Eng/GB vs Aus.

I'm beginning to think you don't understand the meaning of he word arrogance!

Quote: SmokeyTA "So losing 6 times in 20 years is a lot worse than losing 17 times in 11?'"

If the other side of the stick is winning 0 and winning more than 0, than yes, it is worse icon_rolleyes.gif

j.c
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6858
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Nov 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

22/03/2013 Get LEIGH outta wigan:

this whole argument is pointless.

until france has at least 25 players worthy of plying there trade in the SLE they will never compete with england in friendlies or competitions.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg
kcab sfrawdder Luck is a combination of preparation and opportunity Just to avoid confusion Starbug is the username of Steven Pike SOMEBODY SAID that it couldn’t be done But he with a chuckle replied That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried. So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin On his face. If he worried he hid it. He started to sing as he tackled the thing That couldn’t be done, and he did it!:9005.jpg

A Championship select would beat France on occasion , they would provide a better test for the Euro Countries

233 posts in 17 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
233 posts in 17 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.34716796875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
TV Games - Not Hull
Cuddleclub
25m
Rumours and signings v9
CobraCraig
47m