JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2020Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1506.jpg
[quote:18jc6kzm]I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls[/quote:18jc6kzm] [quote:18jc6kzm]Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.[/quote:18jc6kzm] [quote="Jamie Jones-Buchanan":18jc6kzm]"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.[/quote:18jc6kzm]:1506.jpg

Quote: brearley84 "money is a joke...another thing the chairmen at the top clubs are unhappy about'"

The clubs are just as much to blame on that front, given how some have cheapened the product so drastically through an inability to market and a reliance on cut-price deals.

You can't charge Third Division prices to attract Second Division crowds and then expect Premier League returns.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3495No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2014Dec 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: SmokeyTA "snip.'"

I wouldn't argue with much of that other than if someone has a terminal illness, telling him to stop smoking and excersize a bit more isn't really going to do much. Syaing 'yeah this is bad, but that was baderer!' isn't really a basis for sustainable improvement.

The problem as you rightly state is cash in the game, or lack of. Strangling the middle tier (Championship) wont help that one bit.

The collective turnover of Championship Clubs (at an approximate guess) is in the region of £7m per annum perhaps? Give or take 20%?

Kill that middle third and that money is pretty much lost because its income generally from your more traditional (nee parochial) sources. If my Club went under of ended upon a par with Miners or Easts then I'm not suddenly going to spend that cash watching Salford or Saints just as if Leeds went wonky you wouldn't be spending your cash at Odsal or your flatcaps arn't going to go the Wheldon Road.

The game doesn't have enough players as it is and loses to many adult players who don't make the SL grade; how does removing a huge chunk of its development pathway (foodchain) help that? Slimming down to what is available is simply reaching for the lowest denominator - if we're doing that lets have £100k per club and operate a £400k salary cap - and wait for the game to die a painful death.

The Championhip Clubs are just as vital to the game and its pathway as the Community Clubs and the Super League clubs. The game simply isn't strong enough to cull them.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman16250
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
953.jpg
2015 - major missed opportunity, 2016 - stronger teams = harder task (no problem there then), 2017 - OMG What now!!!:953.jpg

To all the ones saying the RFL brought in a zero sponsorship cash deal, get your facts right. There were two deals on the table.

THE SL CHAIRMEN VOTED FOR THE STOBART DEAL.

Also we are not Australia and people in this country like to watch competitive sport with something to aim for. Even RU have promotion and relegation.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator10969
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2023Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1271.jpg
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain Build Bridges NOT Walls:1271.jpg

Quote: django "Yes Bullseye, I actually do. If, for example, if we looked at the "middle" table we would have using this years results, we would have

A bit of wishful thinking I think..

SL clubs are full-time and build their sides on a figure approaching £2 million. Championship clubs are part-time, training after work and built under a cap of around £600k. As long as this remains the case they might as well be playing in different dimensions. The possibility of a shock 'giant-killing' remains in a one off cup game, though in practice it is very rare even then, but in a league situation, hell will freeze over before one of the SL clubs fails to make the top four in that league.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15511
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
43854_1545310668.jpg
HUDDERSFIELD - THE BIRTHPLACE OF RUGBY LEAGUE:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_43854.jpg

not all the super league chairman voted for the stobart deal actually.. it was 9 to 5 in favour

rlhttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyleague/9050409/Hull-FC-and-Hull-Kingston-Rovers-both-voted-against-the-Stobart-Super-League-sponsorship-deal.htmlrl

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2862
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2017Dec 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47753_1430033772.jpg
JOHN THE REDBOY I have been a rovers fan all my life and my grandkids are as well:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47753.jpg

Quote: brearley84 "not all the super league chairman voted for the stobart deal actually.. it was 9 to 5 in favour

rlhttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyleague/9050409/Hull-FC-and-Hull-Kingston-Rovers-both-voted-against-the-Stobart-Super-League-sponsorship-deal.htmlrl'"

Thank god I support a team that got it right the deal was d040.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach1466No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2022Oct 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9648.jpg
The Aussie Legend!!!:9648.jpg

Hats of to Ian Lenegan, it is about time someone said enough is enough. The way the RFL has been going it was only a matter of time until this happened.

All that has happened in the last 12 months is the RFL have undone all the good choices they have made in the previous 10 years. Despite it not being popular the licencing system has been successful. It has made the league stronger, protected teams in and out super league from over spending to gain/avoid relegation. Most importantly it has increased the number of good young players in the league. The stadia has also improved directly because of licencing, despite what Blake Solly says.

Everything has not been perfect but that does not mean you change everything. If the licencing costs too much stream line it. What is the point in Wigan, Leeds, Warrington, Hull applying for a licence every 4 years, they are always going to make the grade. Tony Smith hit the nail on the head when he said you should have a licence system but when team breaks the rules i.e. go bust, they should be kicked out.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7504No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2017Aug 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Did you get rid of all the voices in your head? Do you now miss them and the things that they said?:

Quote: SmokeyTA "Compared to the Widnes, Oldham, Oldham, Halifax, Halifax, PSG, Workington, Leigh Wakefield debacles, and the catastrophic trading at pretty much every single club we had, the dire state of many clubs youth development tsystems, Wakefield fielding a side of 15 overseas players to avoid relegation, Hull KR getting pretty close to those figures, the -poor state of facilities and infrastructure throughout the game pre-franchising it looks a lot stronger.

no, i dont. The kids wouldnt be another clubs kids, they would be the lower league clubs kids. Those kids wouldnt be affiliated to any SL side until they were put forward for the draft. Take Zak Hardaker as an example, comes up through youth rugby, goes to Fev. Plays for Fev as a Fev player aged 18 and 19. Then goes forward for the draft, is drafted by Leeds. Plays for Leeds as a Leeds player. If he needs some lower league game time, or can't get in the Leeds side, he plays for Fev and he can only play for Fev. He wouldnt be playing for Fev because it is near Leeds or because they have an agreement with Fev, but because he came through at Fev. The same would apply to say Richard Whiting.

Clubs outside SL would be properly recompensed for doing so, they would also have access to 'free' players in the example shown above to complement their existing squads.

that gap isnt the biggest problem the game faces. It is the biggest problem a few championship clubs face in being SL clubs, but it isnt the biggest problem the game faces. The biggest problem the game faces is lack of money, and that is evident in a huge number of areas of the game. It shows in youth development, marketing, expansion, facilities, playing strength, the player-pool and pretty much every area. The focus of the game should be on tackling the lack of money, then tackling the areas where lack of funds have damaged the game. Then we can look at that gap because that issue will be so much easier to solve.'"

Hull KR close to 15 overseas players? Don't talk bolox man.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach14302No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
17123_1311448581.jpg
If you only knew the POWER of the dark side.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_17123.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "Compared to the Widnes, Oldham, Oldham, Halifax, Halifax, PSG, Workington, Leigh Wakefield debacles, and the catastrophic trading at pretty much every single club we had, the dire state of many clubs youth development systems, Wakefield fielding a side of 15 overseas players to avoid relegation, Hull KR getting pretty close to those figures, the -poor state of facilities and infrastructure throughout the game pre-franchising it looks a lot stronger.

no, i dont. The kids wouldnt be another clubs kids, they would be the lower league clubs kids. Those kids wouldnt be affiliated to any SL side until they were put forward for the draft. Take Zak Hardaker as an example, comes up through youth rugby, goes to Fev. Plays for Fev as a Fev player aged 18 and 19. Then goes forward for the draft, is drafted by Leeds. Plays for Leeds as a Leeds player. If he needs some lower league game time, or can't get in the Leeds side, he plays for Fev and he can only play for Fev. He wouldnt be playing for Fev because it is near Leeds or because they have an agreement with Fev, but because he came through at Fev. The same would apply to say Richard Whiting.

Clubs outside SL would be properly recompensed for doing so, they would also have access to 'free' players in the example shown above to complement their existing squads.

that gap isnt the biggest problem the game faces. It is the biggest problem a few championship clubs face in being SL clubs, but it isnt the biggest problem the game faces. The biggest problem the game faces is lack of money, and that is evident in a huge number of areas of the game. It shows in youth development, marketing, expansion, facilities, playing strength, the player-pool and pretty much every area. The focus of the game should be on tackling the lack of money, then tackling the areas where lack of funds have damaged the game. Then we can look at that gap because that issue will be so much easier to solve.'"
Close to 15 overseas players in one HKR side that took the field?
Care to name it?

I mean I know you have a clear hatred of everything HKR but good god man stop talking utter BS.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1999
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
35006_1638866888.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_35006.jpg

Quote: Noel Cleal "Hats of to Ian Lenegan, it is about time someone said enough is enough. The way the RFL has been going it was only a matter of time until this happened.

All that has happened in the last 12 months is the RFL have undone all the good choices they have made in the previous 10 years. Despite it not being popular the licencing system has been successful. It has made the league stronger, protected teams in and out super league from over spending to gain/avoid relegation. Most importantly it has increased the number of good young players in the league. The stadia has also improved directly because of licencing, despite what Blake Solly says.

Everything has not been perfect but that does not mean you change everything. If the licencing costs too much stream line it. What is the point in Wigan, Leeds, Warrington, Hull applying for a licence every 4 years, they are always going to make the grade. Tony Smith hit the nail on the head when he said you should have a licence system but when team breaks the rules i.e. go bust, they should be kicked out.'"

This is the attitude that is inherently wrong with licencing. Why the heck should anyone think that Wigan, Leeds, Warrington and Hull have a God given right to be in the top division for ever? A quick scan down the history books (in all sports) show that a constant presence at the top table isn't viable. Neither is it healthy for the continued existence (in the long term) of any sport.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: Anakin Skywalker "Close to 15 overseas players in one HKR side that took the field?
Care to name it?

I mean I know you have a clear hatred of everything HKR but good god man stop talking utter BS.'"

I cant be bothered trawling through ever HKR line up, but their squad contained Ford, Webster, Aizue, Fisher, Tangata-toa, Gene, Gannon, O’niell, Vella, Dyer, Bauer, Lennon, Tandy, Lovegrove and at least 12 of them played together in the Hull Derby 2007.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: HXSparky "This is the attitude that is inherently wrong with licencing. Why the heck should anyone think that Wigan, Leeds, Warrington and Hull have a God given right to be in the top division for ever? A quick scan down the history books (in all sports) show that a constant presence at the top table isn't viable. Neither is it healthy for the continued existence (in the long term) of any sport.'"

Erm, a quick scan of the history books would tell you Leeds and Wire have been in the top division for ever……

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman1053No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1359.jpg
:1359.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "Erm, a quick scan of the history books would tell you Leeds and Wire have been in the top division for ever……'"

...but the point the previous poster was making is that we don't have a right to be there.

I like the 2x12/3x8 plan as it encourages teams to concentrate and do well throughout the year. It doesn't all depend on how your team performs at the end of the year, if they mess up near the beginning then come the split they could find themselves out of the top 8 and unable to actually compete for the Super league trophy that year. With the "bottom and middling teams" following the split they will find themselves in a league with similar clubs, leading to compettitive games all with a Grand Final of their own to aim for. Then the "middling clubs" will have the bonus that if they finish in the top half then next year they will get "promoted" giving them a chance at the Super League title in the following year. It's effectively promotion/relegation twice in a season.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: django "...but the point the previous poster was making is that we don't have a right to be there.

I like the 2x12/3x8 plan as it encourages teams to concentrate and do well throughout the year. It doesn't all depend on how your team performs at the end of the year, if they mess up near the beginning then come the split they could find themselves out of the top 8 and unable to actually compete for the Super league trophy that year. With the "bottom and middling teams" following the split they will find themselves in a league with similar clubs, leading to compettitive games all with a Grand Final of their own to aim for. Then the "middling clubs" will have the bonus that if they finish in the top half then next year they will get "promoted" giving them a chance at the Super League title in the following year. It's effectively promotion/relegation twice in a season.'"

Its not that they have a right to be there, its that barring a catastrophic series of events they always will be there. And even if that catastrophic series of events were to happen (which is very very very unlikely) then any fall would be temporary but very damaging.

12x12 3x8 will simply exacerbate the gaps in the league. The top will get much bigger, the bottom will get much smaller and the ones in the middle will be stuck in between getting smashed by the bigger boys and being left behind, smashing the little clubs and leaving them behind. The clubs promoted to the 2nd set of 12 would be making a jump from a league containing clubs not a whole lot better than the top amateur leagues, to a league with clubs (apparently)being able to spend £1.6m in wages. 12x12/3x8 will give us two leagues where the bottom clubs in each league get further and further away from the top clubs in those leagues. We would have 2 very very uneven leagues.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman1053No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1359.jpg
:1359.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "Its not that they have a right to be there, its that barring a catastrophic series of events they always will be there. And even if that catastrophic series of events were to happen (which is very very very unlikely) then any fall would be temporary but very damaging.
'"

...like when Wigan were relegated in the 80's you mean?

Quote: SmokeyTA "12x12 3x8 will simply exacerbate the gaps in the league. The top will get much bigger, the bottom will get much smaller and the ones in the middle will be stuck in between getting smashed by the bigger boys and being left behind, smashing the little clubs and leaving them behind. The clubs promoted to the 2nd set of 12 would be making a jump from a league containing clubs not a whole lot better than the top amateur leagues, to a league with clubs (apparently)being able to spend £1.6m in wages. 12x12/3x8 will give us two leagues where the bottom clubs in each league get further and further away from the top clubs in those leagues. We would have 2 very very uneven leagues.'"

I agree there will be differences to begin with, but I diagree that they will get worse. By playing against better team the lower teams will get better and improve, thus closing the gap.

437 posts in 30 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
437 posts in 30 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.3759765625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Recruitment rumours and links
Uncle Rico
3m
This weeks disciplinary
The Reaper
17m