JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2014Dec 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I thought it was a useful game for the England team and as a concept it worked well. What was important about the game is that it was reffed very similarly to internationals – i.e. a lot of latitude at the ruck so slower play the balls and teams having to engineer breaks rather than get a ‘roll on’ – that lesson will serve us well come the 4 Nations

People are saying that Bridge and Shenton were quiet but for me that comes from the half backs not being at all dominant – Sinfield toiled hard but was ineffective and Myler showed he is a year or two away from this level (if he ever gets there)

In the 4 Nations, we should have a combination of Brough, Lomax and Widdop – at they offer something new and exciting at international level

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach485No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2018Apr 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41988.jpg
:41988.jpg

Quote: The Clan "Did one single Exiles player play out of position?'"

The only one I can think of is Soliola playing on the wing in parts. Though arguably you could also say T. Leuluai.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1450
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1673_1436275874.jpg
Jamie Jones-Buchanan "I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire" And neither would any Lancastrian.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1673.jpg

Quote: The Clan "Did one single Exiles player play out of position?'"

Don't think they did but for that matter, most of the England team were in their correct positions, except for and crucially this, Sinfield. Felt sorry for him as it should have been Brown or even Briers at 6.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member43413
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Sep 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3614_1281651917.jpg
[url:2qyny6du]https://twitter.com/Mr_Hutchie[/url:2qyny6du] [b:2qyny6du]@Mr_Hutchie[/b:2qyny6du] [url:2qyny6du]http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/hullwykearlfc/[/url:2qyny6du]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3614.jpg

Just looking at the player balance

Wigan 4 England 3 Exiles - 7 players
Wire 5 England 2 Exiles - 7 players
Saints 3 England 3 Exiles - 6 players
Leeds 3 England 2 Exiles - 5 players
Hull 1 England 3 Exiles - 4 players
Hudds 1 England 2 Exiles - 3 players
Cas 1 Exile - 1 player
Wakey 1 Exile - 1 player (and brought in last minute)

I think they need to address the balance so fans of all teams can have a feeling of being involved.

No representation at all from Bradford, Hull KR, Quins, Salford,Catalans or Crusaders.

That rules out nearly 50% of fans.

Maybe have to look at how the Exiles squad is picked, without diluting it too much player quality wise

RankPostsTeam
International Star1040No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Speccy "I think it would be proactive of the RFL to announce shortly that next years game will be played at the new Salford Stadium.I would also like the RFL to ensure that every Super League Club provides Match Day coach transport for supporters wishing to travel,at cost price i.e. no excuses for anybody not being able to attend.If supporters don't take up the option so be it,but Clubs should offer the oppourtunity.'"

free up the weekend, have it on a saturday early evening and I will go. Couldnt go this year as couldnt get off work and have to travel up from london.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13936
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
30366_1604259384.jpg
[color=#000000:3fno8grb]Rugby Union: When entertainment just isn't your thing. [/color:3fno8grb]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_30366.jpg

There were some very encouraging signs from certain individuals in that game. In Luke Robinson and James Roby I think we have two excellent hookers - for the first time in years. Add Brough, Widdop, Ellis and Burgess to that team and we have the makings of a good squad. Westwood was excellent and I thought Kevin Sinfield's kicking game was awesome. I'm a huge Sean O'loughlin fan, but I don't think his game is suited to the international scene or the way we currently play. Having an extra kicking option in Sinfield might be the way to go. The props need shaping up a bit. Jamie Peacock is past it now. Eorl Crabtree should be given a shot. Morley, Graham, Crabtree and Burgess would be my front row. Westwood, Ellis and Tomkins in the back row.

In the backs Sam Tomkins put in some excellent tackles close to the line. He's the best English fullback in the competition. Tom Briscoe and Ryan Hall dealt with the kicks put to them well I thought. Both will keep their places. Chris Bridge and Michael Shenton? I thought Shenton looked exposed a few times. Chris Bridge didn't do an awful lot for me, but what options do we have? Kirk Yeaman is playing well I suppose. Kris Welham is doing well, but misses a lot of tackles. Leroy Cudjoe and Michael Lawrence? It's one area we really struggle with. Centre I have no answer.

We're a team though that needs all our best players to be fit to stand a chance. Not likely to happen, but we can hope. If everyone was fit I would lineup with:

1. Sam Tomkins
2. Tom Briscoe
3. 'Anyone that can defend'
4. Chris Bridge?
5. Ryan Hall
6. Gareth Widdop
7. Danny Brough
8. Adrian Morley
9. James Roby
10. James Graham (c)
11. Gareth Ellis
12. Ben Westwood
13. Kevin Sinfield

-----------------------------
14. Luke Robinson
15. Sam Burgess
16. Eorl Crabtree
17. Joel Tomkins (possibly Gareth Hock?)

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach390No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2018Mar 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11998.gif
:11998.gif

Macnamara is way out of his depth, but, I think we'll struggle to get a good England coach as long as it's seen as a full time job. I'm not convinced the international coach needs to be full time, what does he do day to day?
Don't know if it would work to try and get one of the better coaches working with them part time and leave macnamara full time in a more scouting and co-ordinating role, but knowing the part timer would be the man in charge when it comes to coaching and selection.

I do think they should try at least a 2 game series next year, I think it could turn out to be very popular with players and supporters.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach390No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2018Mar 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11998.gif
:11998.gif

Quote: Hutchie "Just looking at the player balance

Cas 1 Exile - 1 player

I think they need to address the balance so fans of all teams can have a feeling of being involved.

No representation at all from Bradford, Hull KR, Quins, Salford,Catalans or Crusaders.

Maybe have to look at how the Exiles squad is picked, without diluting it too much player quality wise'"

This is ok if you're playing an exhibition game, but this game is set up as a way of the England players playing together in a competitive game.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman9721
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Apr 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5885-54zedonite-msnicons.jpg
regards and ENJOY your sport Leaguefan "The Public wants what the Public gets" - Paul Weller:icons077e_files/5885-54zedonite-msnicons.jpg

Shenton has no pace!!!

In fact has anyone on the England team who played last night, and by that I mean pace that leaves defenders getting futher away trying to catch them?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2164No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2014Dec 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Leaguefan "Shenton has no pace!!!

In fact has anyone on the England team who played last night, and by that I mean pace that leaves defenders getting futher away trying to catch them?'"

Well, I'm pretty sure that if one of the Exiles back rowers had scored a length of the field try we would be bemoaning the lack of pace in the England side

When an England back rower goes the length of the field we still bemoan the lack of pace in the England side - kinda sums up the English RL fan mentality

RankPostsTeam
International Star2016No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2013Jun 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
52085_1326377315.jpg
[img:2z3zihp3]http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i478/theboyupstairs/crossfit_logo3.gif[/img:2z3zihp3] [quote="Saddened!":2z3zihp3]You seem suicidal because McNamara hasn't picked your precious Mickey Mac, who's better than Roby, and Darryl 'Meninga' Goulding who makes Jamie Lyon look like an amateur. [/quote:2z3zihp3]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_52085.jpg

Quote: Hutchie "Just looking at the player balance

Cas 1 Exile - 1 player

Maybe have to look at how the Exiles squad is picked, without diluting it too much player quality wise'"

so 47% of RL fans support bradford? icon_wink.gif curtain.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10530
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18919_1341147656.jpg
[quote="King Monkey":30st820n]Maybe a spell in prison would do Graham good. At least he'd lose his virginity.[/quote:30st820n]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_18919.jpg

I think we're in for a real spanking in the 4 nations if that was anything to go by. We have no cutting edge or pace in attack to speak off and the lack of structure with the ball was alarming. If we try and play 5 drives and a kick rugby against the Aussies/NZ for 80 minutes then we might as well not bother. We're desperate need of some pace in the midfield, centres, and from full back. We weren't too bad in defense at times but it seemed that everytime the Exiles gave the ball some air England were all over the place and looked like conceding everytime.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1040No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Charlie Sheen "I think we're in for a real spanking in the 4 nations if that was anything to go by. We have no cutting edge or pace in attack to speak off and the lack of structure with the ball was alarming. If we try and play 5 drives and a kick rugby against the Aussies/NZ for 80 minutes then we might as well not bother. We're desperate need of some pace in the midfield, centres, and from full back. We weren't too bad in defense at times but it seemed that everytime the Exiles gave the ball some air England were all over the place and looked like conceding everytime.'"

this is correct!!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12860No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39110_1363272058.jpg
Dropkick Murphy..we actually saw and heard a mass of bouncing and scarf and flag waving to Dale Cavese that drowned out anything we could muster.. It stopped us singing our own celebratory songs, it died out seconds later when we accepted we couldn't be heard over the Wigan lot Celebrations muted from us, job done from them. Most fans who slag them off are jealous their own club's support is nowhere near that good - sally cinnamon..Why not discuss Wigan? It's a rugby league message board. Wigan are the most famous brand in rugby league - Tre Cool..Saints fans are hopeless unless it's a cup final or grand final. Wigan fans are so much more loyal and passionate - the flying biscuit..Wires havent been massively succesful over the years, but I've spoke to Brian Bevan And he spoke to me and i wouldnt swap that for Wigans History, ever - Ande..on the TV i could only hear the Wigan fans with about 10 to go - Saint94..Every team is in your feckin shadow, we all know - FIOS:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_39110.jpg

Quote: Charlie Sheen "I think we're in for a real spanking in the 4 nations if that was anything to go by. We have no cutting edge or pace in attack to speak off and the lack of structure with the ball was alarming. If we try and play 5 drives and a kick rugby against the Aussies/NZ for 80 minutes then we might as well not bother. We're desperate need of some pace in the midfield, centres, and from full back. We weren't too bad in defense at times but it seemed that everytime the Exiles gave the ball some air England were all over the place and looked like conceding everytime.'"

The squad at the end of the year will be much different though.

Brough will no doubt replace Myler who is a good support player but rubbish at this level, even wire fans can see that. Brough has an awesome kicking game and will control the play as well as being creative.

Roby will play instead of McIlorum. McIlorum does the job and will never let anyone down but he is not ready for this level YET. Roby is one of the top hookers in the world and is always superb at international level.

Burgess and Ellis will play. An argument could be made that these are Englands two best players, they play with the worlds best week in week out and are now two of the best back rowers in the NRL while Burgess can also play prop.

Widdop will probably play at 6 or FB... he should play 6 IMO. He has looked quality for Melbourne this year, he could easily hide behind Cronk, Slater and Smith but he never does.

Adding these 5 players to that starting 13 improves the team by a long way IMO.

Finally you also have Hock who will no doubt put his hand up with the amount of talent he has... maybe if we are lucky he has found half a brain cell in his two years out. You also have Crabtree who didn't play in this game and has always performed for England.

On an extra note I thought Joel Tomkins had a good game and has looked awesome for Wigan at centre IMO. He should be in contention there, he reads the game well and has loads of pace for a big guy, nobody got near him. Shenton looked like he was running in treacle.

After these players have been added we could end up with something like this....

Tomkins
Hall
Shenton/J Tomkins/Bridge
Shenton/J Tomkins/Bridge
Briscoe
Widdop
Brough
Morley
Roby
Peacock
Ellis
Burgess
Lockers

Westwood - Englands MOM made for internationals.
Robinson

Both should be on the bench IMO they deserve it. Then we have a list of players in the running for the final bench spot after Crabtree who also deserves it.

Mossop
Hock
Griffin
LMS
J Tomkins - if he doesn't make the centre position.

Players like Myler, Sinfield and Wilkin should not be in the team. Sinfield could play 9 if needed but not if we are at full strength.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman28357
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
973_1515165968.gif
Last edited by Ferocious Aardvark on stardate Jun 26, 3013 11:27 am, edited 48,562,867,458,300,023 times in total:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_973.gif

I don't think it is correct. In the game I watched, England defended well, and had gone ahead until the very last play of the game. How you work out it was some sort of a mauling I just don't get. Tackle Carmont and we win.

93 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
93 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.04833984375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Staying or Not
Les Norton
16m
New Players
Deadcowboys1
27m