FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > 2018 England tour to Australia?
32 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12389.gif
:12389.gif

Quote: SirStan "We won a series! Superb! In your face convicts.

I must also have been much drunker than I remembered on 15th Nov, 11 years ago.'"
Quote: SirStan "yeh give us a series win, we certainly didn't deserve the whitewash that year! icon_biggrin.gifANCE: icon_smile.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12389.gif
:12389.gif

Quote: ThePrinter "I don't really get the whole ''it should still be GB not England" thing. It's not like RU (don't wet your pants Gutterfax) where the Lions are truly made up of a mixture of Eng/Welsh/Scot/Irish players. We could've kept it as GB but the team lineups for the last several years wouldn't have changed at all.

Only reason seems noslagtic, nothing that would actually sell the series more.'"

I disagree. Nostalgia probably would help sell the series. I, and many, many RL fans have hugely fond memories of Great Britain that have never been matched by England, and I would certainly buy into the GB brand again. The classic series, the great moments, the iconic shirt, the history of GB as a whole. The Rorke's Drift Test, the Battle of Brisbane and Prescott's broken arm, Melbourne 1992, Old Trafford 1990, Mike Gregory's try, Edwards on Clyde, Davies' try, Phil Ford "he's a stepper", Goulding and McDermott taking on the Aussies at Old Trafford 1994 - and much more. England RL just doesn't have that heritage.

For example, I've never bought an England shirt and probably never will, but I've had a few GB shirts and bought a classic 2003 shirt fairly recently.

The theory that playing only as Home Nations helps develop the smaller nations is erroneous. In fact, all that happens is that the best players tend to all opt for England, whereas in the GB days the GB squad could also strengthen their home nations. Players such as Cunningham, Harris, Sullivan, Atcheson, Carvell, Cowie, Eyres, Skerrett - all RL lads who played for GB, and for Wales in the World Cup - how many would have opted for England if GB hadn't existed, and therefore been lost to Wales? Quite a few I'd guess. Others such as Connolly, McDermott, Horne, Gilmour, O'Connor, Joynt, Aston, Ford - all played for GB and a Home Nation other than England at some point. I've not included RU converts for obvious reasons.

I'm not saying swathes of England-qualified players would suddenly toddle off to the countries of their ancestry, in fact looking at the current squad it's unlikely, but at the moment England is the team the best British players aspire to, which for me only serves to weaken the rest.

Either way, until there are RL competitions in the Home Nations their international sides are little more than a token effort and will not develop significantly. That should be the priority, not the occasional low key international tournament and few World Cup games whenever the RLIF decide to arrange a competition.

RankPostsTeam
International Star50No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2014Dec 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Sal Paradise "These tours were so popular - check the attendances!! We have had this discussion before 1982 Aussies were the greatest side that ever toured this country look at the crowds

6 games including one international attracted crowds of less than 10K
3 games had crowds < 11k
The three internationals 26k Hull, 23k Wigan, 17k Headingley

Your view of how good the international game was in its heyday simply don't stack up - without a strong club game where do the players come from to form the international side?

If we hadn't have started SL we would still be part time playing against a FT Aussie side. How could those games have ever been competitive it would have been like England playing France - the international game really would have been a joke.

So you think tours will return the game to its glory days - the game was in such good order prior to SL!! So how do you suggest these tours are conducted - we return to winter rugby?'"

I find it easy to agree with most of your posts Sal, but you are wrong to state that the 1982 tourists came when rep RL was in its heyday.

You would need to go back at least another 25 years for that period to be exact.

That was when we really did see well contested and bitter rivalry games enacted and they were brilliant for the fans, who DID turn up in great numbers, both for the tests and, the matches played against the clubs also.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach763
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20989_1301595889.jpg
Blocked list galliant - When Gutterfax stands alone in a thread out comes his alt account to make it look like he's got support. Gutterfax - Yawnion patronising Troll Lebron James - yet another Yawnion patronising Troll,born watching the wrong sport he knows his beloved yawnion is 100 behind League so tries to talk Yawnion up and league down.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_20989.jpg

Quote: Sal Paradise "So start the NRL season at the height of summer - are you serious? Also when do the players get a break and have time for pre-season?'"

When will people stop quoting me and proceed to talk about something I didn't say?!
Where the heck did I say the NRL should start their season on Boxing Day, where?

We could have a natural break in our domestic season because of the split league. where we could tour and play against their club sides mid week and Internationals on weekends because big tours only work if the NRL season is running in current with a tour.

There would be a six week rest mid season for players not involved in Internationals and a 10 week off season for everyone at the end.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: melman "I find it easy to agree with most of your posts Sal, but you are wrong to state that the 1982 tourists came when rep RL was in its heyday.

You would need to go back at least another 25 years for that period to be exact.

That was when we really did see well contested and bitter rivalry games enacted and they were brilliant for the fans, who DID turn up in great numbers, both for the tests and, the matches played against the clubs also.'"

I never said 1982 was the height of rep rugby - what I said was the 82 Kangeroos were the greatest ever RL side. If you went back to the 50s and early 60s yes they did get bigger crowds but then so did every sport - there was little else to do for most folks.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator31835
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
438_1551258406.jpg
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_438.jpg

TBH I thought the 86 Kangaroos were better than the 82 ones...IMO of course.

The attendances at Ashes games 86-94 show what is possible when both countries take the contest seriously. Teams don't necessarily need to be evenly matched to get a good attendance either as 86 proved but it helps.

Clubs attitude to letting players go to internationals is never good. The Bulls were always obstructive to Kiwis going to take part in the Anzac test. This contrasts with attitudes in the past. The 1946 Indomitables went on the longest tour ever which although was in the off season was long enough to impact on games early on in the following season. The clubs saw their players as ambassadors for them and the game and saw it as a point of pride to contribute players. There was no whinging about it. This is according to Trevor Foster who was part of the touring party which circumnavigated the globe by planes, trains and ships.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach6124No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10174_1376908073.png
23 - 20 - 4 Warrington led 16-2 in Saturday's Grand Final, but their joy was short-lived as Wigan roared back to win the Super League title and extend the Wire's 58-year wait to be champions:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10174.png

The GB v England debate isn't purely a matter about who the players represent. In the 2004 Tri series, I took a Scottish and an Irish mate to two of the games (and again in following years). It didn't matter that there was only Carney really and no Scots, the team represented them. It was their first experience of RL and they got well into it.

I'm not suggesting thousands of Irish/Jocks/Welsh will jump in if we revert to GB, but far more people could identify with the Lions.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach14082No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2017Feb 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9857_1341488583.jpg
WEST COAST PIRATES NRL expansion? Sometime soon, maybe......:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_9857.jpg

Clubs have always dominated RL and always will. They bring in the bread and butter and so must take precedent.

As for Australia waking up, please Dave Smith took up his position full of bluster about the importance of Int RL. Since then he has cancelled the Ashes tour and changed eligibility rules to try and make U18's commit to Australia.

RankPostsTeam
International Star142No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Jan 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: William Eve "The game can toss into the ring as many afterthought joke namby pamby mini international tour formats as it pleases. Nothing will come close to repairing the damage to the game by the loss of proper Kangaroos and Lions tours.

It used to be the highest honour and privilege to gain international honours competing in proper tours and Ashes Series. The game blew it when it became Sky Sports summer buttplug. ARL chairman Ken Arthurson did warn way back in 1995 that Super League would destroy international RL and he was right.'"

There needs to be at least one to trot out the same old stream of nonsense. Shame you weren't the first.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member32342
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3076_1671446335.jpg
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled. For 27 - 0 you get a trophy For 75 - 0 you get sod all. Wigan had eight in a row Saints have five in a row:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3076.jpg

We should scrap the Magic weekend and have a 5 week tour to Aus (GB or England) If clubs have to do without some of their players then so be it (it might force them to give their academy players more game time which can only be good in the long term)

3 tests and midweek games so there would be four weekends when teams would have to play without some of their stars. I was a supporter on the 1992 tour to Aus and it was fantastic experience.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Rogues Gallery "We should scrap the Magic weekend and have a 5 week tour to Aus (GB or England) If clubs have to do without some of their players then so be it (it might force them to give their academy players more game time which can only be good in the long term)

3 tests and midweek games so there would be four weekends when teams would have to play without some of their stars. I was a supporter on the 1992 tour to Aus and it was fantastic experience.'"

As spectators we pay to watch the best players - why should I pay to watch games where the best players have been forcibly removed? If I want to watch an academy game I can pay my £3 and go.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7392No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Jul 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20337_1416501684.jpg
Mac out!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_20337.jpg

With P&R you can't imagine the lesser teams wanting their better players to go on tour mid season

Scrap a weekend and replace with a 5 week tour- How does that weigh up?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member28186No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif
"As you travel through life don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin [url:2cg5oc2o]http://twitter.com/AndyGilder[/url:2cg5oc2o] [url:2cg5oc2o]http://fromthewesternterrace.blogspot.co.uk[/url:2cg5oc2o] This week: Four keys to a Rhinos win in the WCC:Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif

Quote: Sal Paradise "As spectators we pay to watch the best players - why should I pay to watch games where the best players have been forcibly removed? If I want to watch an academy game I can pay my £3 and go.'"

Let's say England take a 24 man squad to Australia for three Tests and a couple of country games (one warmup, one midweek between the 1st and 2nd Tests, so four playing weeks of the tour).

Maybe half a dozen of that squad are going to come from the NRL anyway (Tomkins, Graham, Widdop, two remaining Burgess boys would be automatic, then you have the likes of Cooper and Hodgson)

Wigan provided 7 players to the 2014 England four nations squad. Leeds provided three. No other SL club more than two. Clubs could be without that many of their top players at any one time in the season due to injuries anyway. It's not going to have an adverse effect on the product to take these players out of SL for five weeks in the middle of the season IMO.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29674
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

Quote: Andy Gilder "Let's say England take a 24 man squad to Australia for three Tests and a couple of country games (one warmup, one midweek between the 1st and 2nd Tests, so four playing weeks of the tour).

Maybe half a dozen of that squad are going to come from the NRL anyway (Tomkins, Graham, Widdop, two remaining Burgess boys would be automatic, then you have the likes of Cooper and Hodgson)

Wigan provided 7 players to the 2014 England four nations squad. Leeds provided three. No other SL club more than two. Clubs could be without that many of their top players at any one time in the season due to injuries anyway. It's not going to have an adverse effect on the product to take these players out of SL for five weeks in the middle of the season IMO.'"

Don't use facts, we can't moan then!

Internationals won't move forward significantly until they're played mid season IMO. It should be the pinnacle but it's currently just tagged on the end as some sort of after thought.

I would have no issue with Wigan losing 7 players mid season. I would like to think clubs would be given a bit more leeway on the cap to cover those circumstances but if they were then it would be fine.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Quote: NickyKiss "Don't use facts, we can't moan then!

Internationals won't move forward significantly until they're played mid season IMO. It should be the pinnacle but it's currently just tagged on the end as some sort of after thought.

I would have no issue with Wigan losing 7 players mid season. I would like to think clubs would be given a bit more leeway on the cap to cover those circumstances but if they were then it would be fine.'"

Agreed. A few years back, when Leeds were in their prime, we often had 6/7 players in the England/GB squad. I wouldn't have an issue with us losing them to a higher cause for a few weeks. Most teams lose 5/6/7 players to injury in a season anyway.

32 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
32 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.63037109375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
10m
Film game
Boss Hog
24m