JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Mar 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6731_1299024498.jpg
[quote="King Street Cat":1wa9s43t]Some might look at this as being harsh but I think it's fair. When are the Rugby League going to stop persisting with this fantasy expansion. If it hasn't worked by now, it never will! I'm all for reaching out to a wider audience with our game but not at the expense of historical clubs in the homelands.[/quote:1wa9s43t]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6731.jpg

Quote: Big Ask "Looking at the two main media sites BBC and Sky makes an interesting comparison

The BBC Sports Website lists the sports from top to bottomNo it doesn't. It reads Football, F1, Olympics, Cricket, RU, RL and then the others.

People seem to want to play down RL so much, I can't think of a reason for this other than so they can say they follow a minority sport and are being persecuted. Maybe it's the same reason people are so averse to expansion of the game. Really bizarre attitude to have.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Quote: Urmston Wire "Or just more schools, to be honest.

And trust me, just because rugby union gets played at public schools doesn't mean that public schoolboys like it.'"

I'd agree but I think the RFL are doing pretty well with the schools thing in general to be honest.

You're probably right in that a lot might not enjoy playing it, but it gets it into the mind that rugby union is important if the school they are at plays it and takes it seriously. So that public schoolboy might not enjoy playing it while he's at school, he is then more likely to take an interest in the sport later in life. He's certainly more likely to take an interest in it than in a sport which wasn't played, mentioned, discussed or even knew existed while he was at school.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach654No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Feb 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Wire exiled in Hampshire:

Quote: Him "I'd agree but I think the RFL are doing pretty well with the schools thing in general to be honest.

You're probably right in that a lot might not enjoy playing it, but it gets it into the mind that rugby union is important if the school they are at plays it and takes it seriously. So that public schoolboy might not enjoy playing it while he's at school, he is then more likely to take an interest in the sport later in life. He's certainly more likely to take an interest in it than in a sport which wasn't played, mentioned, discussed or even knew existed while he was at school.'"

I would agree with the first bit a lot, and the next part a bit!

I'll be honest- I'm an ex-public schoolboy. I know a fair few others, unsurprisingly! And we had to play union. We hated it. And we hate watching it. One or two of us got into League, and a few of the others then did too.

But I guess that might be an atypical case. Certainly in Manchester, all efforts to get us to enjoy union failed miserably! The usual suspects (i.e. the kids from North Cheshire) loved union, the rest of us watched football or cricket, and a few League (although I didn't get into RL until after uni).

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20966No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6679_1399761959.png
[quote="dally messenger":1gysl9ow]was watching an nfl doco. on one of their teams and they used the term bomb to describe those long high passes from quaterback to running back and i think gibson took that idea, realized you cant throw the ball forward in RL and adapted it to a "bomb" kick we have[/quote:1gysl9ow] [quote="eels fan":1gysl9ow]You poor poor obsessed fat ex vichyballin potato thieving stoaway.[/quote:1gysl9ow]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6679.png

oh dear.....the "it's not fair' thread has popped up again icon_rolleyes.gif

Media is what you make of it.

Go to the popular video sharing site and search for all blacks summer skills 2.....then after watching it type in waratahs summer skills. icon_cool.gif
One of these is a polished professional marketing piece......the other is a last minute (still professional) pi55 take......

Media...as in TV, Press, Radio is soon going to be overtaken by the web......the RFL need to get in now..

enough b0llox about public schoolboys running the BBC.....who cares......get on the web, get the content right and then get the "coverage" you think the sport deserves......

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach468No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2011Oct 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
disney1/Dis48.gif
:disney1/Dis48.gif

Quote: gutterfax "oh dear.....the "it's not fair' thread has popped up again
I couldn't agree more about using the web. I even mentioned to Paul Kimberley of the RFL that YouTube the second largest search engine in the world, are actively looking to promote sport as a vertical that they are concentrating on. The response I got was that YouTube would have the opportunity to bid like anyone else. I tried to let him know that since YouTube and the sports marketing position is based in the US that they probably haven't even heard of our sport. They just don't seem to get it. I wouldn't be surprised to see the RFU pro actively approach YouTube and get their brand even more widespread.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20966No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6679_1399761959.png
[quote="dally messenger":1gysl9ow]was watching an nfl doco. on one of their teams and they used the term bomb to describe those long high passes from quaterback to running back and i think gibson took that idea, realized you cant throw the ball forward in RL and adapted it to a "bomb" kick we have[/quote:1gysl9ow] [quote="eels fan":1gysl9ow]You poor poor obsessed fat ex vichyballin potato thieving stoaway.[/quote:1gysl9ow]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6679.png

Quote: Arizonared "I even mentioned to Paul Kimberley of the RFL that YouTube the second largest search engine in the world, are actively looking to promote sport as a vertical that they are concentrating on.'"

because they understand their target market......and what they will get audiences for!

Quote: Arizonared "The response I got was that YouTube would have the opportunity to bid like anyone else'"

because they are the RFL who at best...would have trouble finding their own @rses with both hands.

RankPostsTeam
International Star114No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2011Mar 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Poyser11 "Why are English people calling football, soccer?'"

lol its just so so wrong !! the word 'soccer' makes me cringe, call it what it is FOOTBALL

RankPostsTeam
International Star114No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2011Mar 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Im sure I read somewhere that League gets much higher viewing figures on Sky Sports than Union yet as we all know the reverse is true when it comes to actual attendances. So while I doubt we'll be getting the coverage we actually deserve in he national press anytime soon (the World Tiddlywinks Championship gets more column inches) clearly there are people out there who the clubs and the RFL could be doing more to entice through the turnstiles

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member37704No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2051.jpg
The older I get, the better I was Advice is what we seek when we already know the answer - but wish we didn't I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full-frontal lobotomy ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ kirkstaller wrote: "All DNA shows is that we have a common creator." cod'ead wrote: "I have just snotted weissbier all over my keyboard & screen" ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ "No amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin." - Aneurin Bevan:2051.jpg

Quote: Standee "really, both get bigger viewing figures than league(?)'"

You can't play sport in long pants

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1450
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1673_1436275874.jpg
Jamie Jones-Buchanan "I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire" And neither would any Lancastrian.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1673.jpg

Quote: Him "Let's face it, Curling is more important to the southern based media than RL is. Until we change that the sport won't grow and flourish. Hopefully the move of BBC Sport up to Salford might help. Personally I think the RFL should be making a big push to get RL played at public schools.'"

Lot of truth in this. Get the Public schools playing and we just might at sometime in the distant future have a Prime Minister who was once an hooker, as well as being an hooker.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3726
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2021Jan 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18764_1329753271.gif
Waiting for the 2021 RLWC:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_18764.gif

Quote: jonnythewire "lol its just so so wrong !! the word 'soccer' makes me cringe, call it what it is FOOTBALL'"

The previous posters are correct - You are wrong.

Repeat after meRugby [/iFootball, [iAssociation [/iFootball, [iNational [/iFootball [iLeague [/i( NFL ), [iAustralian [/iFootball [iLeague [/i( AFL ).

What they play at Anfield and Reebok is Association Football, AKA soccer.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member2315No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2015Mar 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3545.jpg
:3545.jpg

Quote: Him "Let's. Personally I think the RFL should be making a big push to get RL played at public schools.'"

There's a public school competition being arranged

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2066No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2019Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Asgardian13 "The previous posters are correct - You are wrong.

Repeat after meRugby [/iFootball, [iAssociation [/iFootball, [iNational [/iFootball [iLeague [/i( NFL ), [iAustralian [/iFootball [iLeague [/i( AFL ).

What they play at Anfield and Reebok is Association Football, AKA soccer.'"

Millions of people in England call Association Football - football.

I love it how based on your opinion, and the opinion of two other posters someone can be "wrong" in calling a game the name millions of other people call it. You might call football soccer, but it doesn't make you right.

It actually makes you a bit of a prat in my eyes, but doesn't mean your wrong either.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Quote: Wembley71 "There's a public school competition being arranged'"

Really? That's fantastic.

Quote: Wembley71 "
Quote: Wembley71 "Let's face it, Curling is more important to the southern based media than RL is. Until we change that the sport won't grow and flourish. Hopefully the move of BBC Sport up to Salford might help. Personally I think the RFL should be making a big push to get RL played at public schools.'"

Lot of truth in this. Get the Public schools playing and we just might at sometime in the distant future have a Prime Minister who was once an hooker, as well as being an hooker.'"

Yep. I hate public schools with a passion (sorry Urmston Wire icon_smile.gif icon_wink.gif ) and I wish they didn't exist, but sadly they do and the more influential people in the country appear to be ex-public schoolboys. The biggest factor in favour of Union and the biggest factor responsible for it's reasonable spread around the world is/has been the public school system. Even if we don't get a Prime Minister who likes League we might get a few business leaders and media owners/editors who do if we get RL played throughout the public schools.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20966No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6679_1399761959.png

whilst we're at it....how does everyone here pronounce TOMATO icon_cool.gif

I call it soccer to wind up soccer fans.....but it is most commonly known as Football in the UK AND Europe. The USA, and South Americans (gradually...but they do follow the USA) and pretty much everyone else calls it soccer as there are other codes of football in these countries that are larger.
League is bigger in Aaustralia
Union is bigger in New Zealand
Gridiron (dally messengers favourite sport) in the USA

........I say TO-MAR-TO by the way icon_biggrin.gif ...

47 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
47 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.14794921875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
5m
Film game
Boss Hog
5m