JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2023Dec 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
60098_1402496159.jpg
the future's bright the future's [color=#800000:1p3f9jf7]claret [/color:1p3f9jf7] and [color=#FFFF40:1p3f9jf7]gold [/color:1p3f9jf7]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_60098.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "Even Saints statement looks bad, i appreciate there might be some real and valid anger and perhaps a feeling of betrayal at Saints but they arent even helping themselves.

Their insistence on calling it a 'voluntary resignation' and stressing it was 'without due notice' and that he 'clearly wasnt entitled to continue to be paid' shows just where they are in their thinking. Hohaia didnt voluntarily resign. He retired after suffering a serious and long lasting head injury. A head injury the club apparently didnt see, didnt diagnose and allowed him to play on with.

What is worrying is the attitude expressed when they say "Throughout that time he received the highest level of professional support and empathy, both rugby and medical. His subsequent version of ongoing 'concussive symptoms' were entirely retrospective and only raised by him at the end of that period." like the club had no duty of care, no responsibility to be on top of noticing these issues and being proactive in dealing with it. Like the fact he didnt bring it up absolves them of responsibility. Even if everything Saints say is true, it is still on them to be on the lookout for these things, at best it means they missed these symptoms.

Put another way, on the back of that statement, if you were a player suffering similar issues are you going to feel confident in bringing this up? Would you be confident Saints would be proactive about protecting players in a similar situation?'"

Some very valid points regarding duty of care. The comments about not paying him by saints seem pretty dismissive of him as a person. Lance may have retired from playing and hence not be paid for that but saints could have continued to pay him in some other capacity which wouldn't have counted against the cap. Seeing as his forced retirement came about as a direct result of something that happened whilst he was playing for them it would have been the right thing to do rather than just leave him and his family without his income whilst thousands of miles away from home. Hudds did so with both fielden and currently are with Robinson.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5846
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg
Officially RLFAN's most Doe-eyed Happy Clapper. Big Steve wrote: The Internet has provided some wonderful creativity, opportunities and knowledge sharing but it has also given a worldwide forum for people you would leave a full pint behind in the pub to avoid having to listen to them. aboveusonlypie... If you don't bother to go to the game when you live in the locality then you are not really a fan and therefore your views are invalid. It's simple.:icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg

Seems odd... I really can't see Saints being deliberately negligible. As an employer, they will have taken advice on this matter surely.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6809
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2023Jan 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18302_1567366773.png
[b:1crbsr9w] Toulouse for Championship in 2017, Super League in 2021! Avignon for Championship in 2021, Super League in 2022! [/b:1crbsr9w]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_18302.png

I am shocked at St Helens' cruel behaviour.

I once gave Eammon McManus a large piece of my steak, while at a post-match dinner at the Wembley restaurant in Canet, southern France, because there was not enough steak to go around.

I will never do that again.

RankPostsTeam
International Star114
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2018Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
72559_1455652850.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_72559.jpg

Quote: Wigan Peer "Seems odd... I really can't see Saints being deliberately negligible. As an employer, they will have taken advice on this matter surely.'"

I agree with this.

I feel extremely sorry for how his career has ended, but the crux seems to be payments following his resignation. I understand his frustration at the lack of heart of Saints, perhaps, but you cannot expect a 'golden handshake' when you resign, irrespective if you put your body on the line etc.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: Fc_exile "I agree with this.

I feel extremely sorry for how his career has ended, but the crux seems to be payments following his resignation. I understand his frustration at the lack of heart of Saints, perhaps, but you cannot expect a 'golden handshake' when you resign, irrespective if you put your body on the line etc.'"

You damn well should be able to. How utterly heartless do you have to be see a player under your employ sustain a serious head injury that ends his career and think your responsibility ends there.

Im pretty appalled that his contract wasnt paid up to be honest and its a crying shame how utterly blase the game is about players who leave it at 30 years of age, often having not earned a whole lot, often with bodies battered and broken down and often with not a whole lot of alternative options

RankPostsTeam
International Star114
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2018Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
72559_1455652850.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "You damn well should be able to. How utterly heartless do you have to be see a player under your employ sustain a serious head injury that ends his career and think your responsibility ends there.

Im pretty appalled that his contract wasnt paid up to be honest and its a crying shame how utterly blase the game is about players who leave it at 30 years of age, often having not earned a whole lot, often with bodies battered and broken down and often with not a whole lot of alternative options'"

I don't want to get into any legality. But I defiantly would not expect Saints to 'pay up' his contract. Firstly, he played with Saints for 3 of his 13 seasons, thus should Saints pay out his remaining contract or should the New Zealand Warriors shoulder some blame to concussions sustained with them, that had an accumulative effect.

Plus, how can you sue Ben Flower personally? Without suggesting you should sue other players for negligible 'swinging arms' that have also caused him concussions. Both are illegal?

I'm playing devils advocate here.

He resigned and from what I can gather this was his decisions and NOT on medical advice (I maybe wrong)

Secondly, if anyone was to 'pay up' it would be Lances insurance company, I think.

It is obviously a terrible state of affairs but legally a minefield.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner29212No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6310_1310045241.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6310.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "Even Saints statement looks bad, i appreciate there might be some real and valid anger and perhaps a feeling of betrayal at Saints but they arent even helping themselves.

Their insistence on calling it a 'voluntary resignation' and stressing it was 'without due notice' and that he 'clearly wasnt entitled to continue to be paid' shows just where they are in their thinking. Hohaia didnt voluntarily resign. He retired after suffering a serious and long lasting head injury. A head injury the club apparently didnt see, didnt diagnose and allowed him to play on with.

What is worrying is the attitude expressed when they say "Throughout that time he received the highest level of professional support and empathy, both rugby and medical. His subsequent version of ongoing 'concussive symptoms' were entirely retrospective and only raised by him at the end of that period." like the club had no duty of care, no responsibility to be on top of noticing these issues and being proactive in dealing with it. Like the fact he didnt bring it up absolves them of responsibility. Even if everything Saints say is true, it is still on them to be on the lookout for these things, at best it means they missed these symptoms.

Put another way, on the back of that statement, if you were a player suffering similar issues are you going to feel confident in bringing this up? Would you be confident Saints would be proactive about protecting players in a similar situation?'"

I think you are being overly harsh on Saints. They gave him plenty of support and treatment after the Grand Final and had him scanned multiple times to ensure he was able to return to playing. It is even hinted at by Hohaia that the scans showed no reason to stop playing. He also hints at not making a fuss about his symptoms, you are claiming it's negligent that Saints didn't spot the symptoms, how would they? Do all other clubs give their players a memory test to ensure they remember what happened the previous game? I'm entirely sure they don't. Hohaia even mentions being left out of a game the following season due to his symptoms of concussion, which again points to Saints showing due care and attention to his health. Hohaia also mentions wanting to take an extended leave, why would Saints permit that if he had been reporting no ill effects until that point and his scans showed no reason to be concerned?

The best way to resolve this would be a court case. But it seems Hohaia doesn't want any of that, which hints at it's likely outcome as it's clear he has no lingering sense of duty to the club. If it's just because he's an easy going guy who doesn't want the fuss, why allow an interview and go both barrells on the club?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: Fc_exile "I don't want to get into any legality. But I defiantly would not expect Saints to 'pay up' his contract. Firstly, he played with Saints for 3 of his 13 seasons, thus should Saints pay out his remaining contract or should the New Zealand Warriors shoulder some blame to concussions sustained with them, that had an accumulative effect.

Plus, how can you sue Ben Flower personally? Without suggesting you should sue other players for negligible 'swinging arms' that have also caused him concussions. Both are illegal?

I'm playing devils advocate here.

He resigned and from what I can gather this was his decisions and NOT on medical advice (I maybe wrong)

Secondly, if anyone was to 'pay up' it would be Lances insurance company, I think.

It is obviously a terrible state of affairs but legally a minefield.'"

regardless of legalities, Saints owe a moral duty of care to players representing them. Hohaia clearly and obviously suffered a severe head injury. We saw it happen. That led to his retirement. Its incredibly wrong of the game to simply abandon him.

Im not particularly having a go at Saints, im sure many clubs would do the same. Its still wrong.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Saddened! "I think you are being overly harsh on Saints. They gave him plenty of support and treatment after the Grand Final and had him scanned multiple times to ensure he was able to return to playing. It is even hinted at by Hohaia that the scans showed no reason to stop playing. He also hints at not making a fuss about his symptoms, you are claiming it's negligent that Saints didn't spot the symptoms, how would they? Do all other clubs give their players a memory test to ensure they remember what happened the previous game? I'm entirely sure they don't. Hohaia even mentions being left out of a game the following season due to his symptoms of concussion, which again points to Saints showing due care and attention to his health. Hohaia also mentions wanting to take an extended leave, why would Saints permit that if he had been reporting no ill effects until that point and his scans showed no reason to be concerned?

The best way to resolve this would be a court case. But it seems Hohaia doesn't want any of that, which hints at it's likely outcome as it's clear he has no lingering sense of duty to the club. If it's just because he's an easy going guy who doesn't want the fuss, why allow an interview and go both barrells on the club?'"

I think you are being overly generous to Saints. Other clubs probably would act in a similar way. But that is just a bigger problem, not mitigation.

The fact is that head injuries are poorly understood, but that is simply why need to err on the side of caution, and to be proactive about it. We cant take risks because the consequences of being wrong are horrendous.

Ours is a warriors sport, a gladiatorial one, that shouldnt be lost but we as a game are responsible for players safety. If that means a concussion test every week, thats what we have to do, if it means Hohaia takes extended leave to get over it, we support him, if he has to retire, we support him. We do whatever it takes.

If Hohaia wasnt a big name player with 13 years of good pay behind him, if he was a 24 year old fringe player with a wife and kids and mortgage payments to make he may not have been able to make the decision Hohaia has, he may not feel in a position to be so forceful he could very well still be playing and this conversation could be a lot more tragic.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman1468
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 1970Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

But condemning Saints on the back of an interview is just silly. Of course we can show some sympathy to LH but he has totally gone about this the wrong way and may end up biting him hard in the long run.
We don't know as an absolute what Saints did or did not do, they say they have records (of presumably medical treatments/procedures). What they were and how effective these would be relating to the symptoms again is guesswork here.
As I said I don't doubt that Saints have followed some protocols and procedures, where they enough to get to the bottom of things, was there someone qualified or put forward to speak to LH to try ascertain if there were issues that might have somehow beigf overlooked, we won't know.
Only if this goes further and facts outed about what happened from both parties POV could you make any true judgement and that will probably end in a court.
Unless LH doesn't press further and Saints let the accusations fall by the way which I really can't see happening.
A whole world of shat all round

RankPostsTeam
International Star114
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2018Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
72559_1455652850.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "regardless of legalities, Saints owe a moral duty of care to players representing them. Hohaia clearly and obviously suffered a severe head injury. We saw it happen. That led to his retirement. Its incredibly wrong of the game to simply abandon him.

Im not particularly having a go at Saints, im sure many clubs would do the same. Its still wrong.'"

Morality is irrelevant.

His decision to retire was not solely due to the injuries from the Flower punch. If it was, he could easily sue Flower. This would never happen though. You have multiple cases in the world of football whereby the court has failed to accept another player legitimately ended another players career, negligent, yes, deliberate no. I think Paul Elliott, Dean Saunders case is testament to this.

I have no doubt Lance will be part of the Rugby League unions and have insurance policies to protect against loss of earnings.
Saints, by their statement stood by him, proved him with the best care possible. This was their obligation, you cannot pay him after he resigned. Just because it is sport doesn't mean it holds sway in any other way than civvy street.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4473No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
42181_1527427546.jpg
"I'm sorry, but I would hope that we would beat Cas with a 1 day turnaround." An arrogant Wigan fan a few days before we stuffed them 18-4 at the JJB.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_42181.jpg

Quote: JEAN CAPDOUZE "I am shocked at St Helens' cruel behaviour.

I once gave Eammon McManus a large piece of my steak, while at a post-match dinner at the Wembley restaurant in Canet, southern France, because there was not enough steak to go around.

I will never do that again.'"

icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_lol.gif fantasy.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6809
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2023Jan 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18302_1567366773.png
[b:1crbsr9w] Toulouse for Championship in 2017, Super League in 2021! Avignon for Championship in 2021, Super League in 2022! [/b:1crbsr9w]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_18302.png

Quote: Towns88 "icon_biggrin.gif
How would you know, you goose?

I was there at Le Wembley restaurant after a Catalans vs St Helens match, with Sean Long and Jayson Cayless as well as Eammon McManus, and the French television crew led by Rodolphe Pires. Several of us gave up part of our steaks because the restaurant had run out of steaks by the time Eammon and his colleague had ordered.

As I wrote earlier, I will never give Eammon anything ever again, because of the way his club has treated Lancelot Hohaia.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... illon.html
Quote: Towns88 "icon_biggrin.gif
How would you know, you goose?

I was there at Le Wembley restaurant after a Catalans vs St Helens match, with Sean Long and Jayson Cayless as well as Eammon McManus, and the French television crew led by Rodolphe Pires. Several of us gave up part of our steaks because the restaurant had run out of steaks by the time Eammon and his colleague had ordered.

As I wrote earlier, I will never give Eammon anything ever again, because of the way his club has treated Lancelot Hohaia.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... illon.html

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach3169No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13707_1295067214.jpg
"Arguably the best Rugby League side certainly in the last 40 years!" Phil Clarke.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_13707.jpg

Great story!

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman17139No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
755_1290430740.jpg
“At last, a real, Tory budget,” Daily Mail 24/9/22 "It may be that the honourable gentleman doesn't like mixing with his own side … but we on this side have a more convivial, fraternal spirit." Jacob Rees-Mogg 21/10/21 A member of the Guardian-reading, tofu-eating wokerati.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_755.jpg

Quote: JEAN CAPDOUZE " Lancelot '"

icon_lol.gif

44 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
44 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.20751953125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Penrith Panthers Secure Fourth Consecutive Title
RLFANS News
12m
Recruitment rumours and links
Fantastic Mr
17m