JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2015Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Well thank you all for your responses. the use of the term DR was firstly a typing error and second an ironic gesture into Wiggys and Baldys use of the term" the good Doctor."

I posed the question as an enquiry, but it seems that it has progressed to an debate of the use of the title Doctor. Quite rightly other than use within a medical setting, very few people use the term Doctor even in an academic settings, unless for publications of lectures.

But to continue, can I pose the question again can anyone enlighten us with the person who the Salford owner has called the biggest name in rugby league is waiting to take over.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner1642No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2015Apr 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Someday, somewhere, today’s empires are tomorrow’s ashes.:

Quote: Hillbilly_Red "I am being a pedant again
I don't think that's being any more pedantic than pointing out that the @DrmarwanK account was set up recently by his daughter, after the @Marwan_Koukash name had been taken by someone else in an attempt at humour.

There is no evidence he refers to himself as "doctor", but WTF does it matter?

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner1642No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2015Apr 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Frombanginfront "Well thank you all for your responses. the use of the term DR was firstly a typing error and second an ironic gesture into Wiggys and Baldys use of the term" the good Doctor."

I posed the question as an enquiry, but it seems that it has progressed to an debate of the use of the title Doctor. Quite rightly other than use within a medical setting, very few people use the term Doctor even in an academic settings, unless for publications of lectures.

But to continue, can I pose the question again can anyone enlighten us with the person who the Salford owner has called the biggest name in rugby league is waiting to take over.'"

Back on topic.

A few names have been rumoured, but I deliberately didn't mention them because anything Marwan related tends to get the inhabitants of the RLFans sand pit all aerated. However, since you ask, the Manchester Evening News mentioned Tim Sheens, amongst others.

However, it seems clear that the man Marwan really wants as Director of Rugby is Brian Noble, hence his willingness to extend the deadline.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman1468
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 1970Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Don't do it Brian....you DO NOT need 'little rich' Salford..... icon_sad.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3828
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Sep 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18686.jpg
Heath, Wilson, Callaghan, Thatcher, Major, Blair, Brown, Cameron, May & BORIS (W.T.F.) It's Johnson!:18686.jpg

Quote: Red John "Back on topic.

A few names have been rumoured, but I deliberately didn't mention them because anything Marwan related tends to get the inhabitants of the RLFans sand pit all aerated. However, since you ask, the Manchester Evening News mentioned Tim Sheens, amongst others.

However, it seems clear that the man Marwan really wants as Director of Rugby is Brian Noble, hence his willingness to extend the deadline.'"

Tim Sheens!

What’s he waiting for, kick Nobby to the curb I say, an antipodean dinosaur is obviously better than a British one.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman7594
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021May 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8_1434361123.jpg
When my club didn't exist it was still bigger than yours:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_8.jpg

Quote: Durham Giant "Very few Phd's use the title Dr'"

Absolute gibberish.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator12488No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Mar 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
disney/00004.gif
Huddersfield Giants 2013 over achievers Huddersfield Giants 2014 under achievers ??????????:disney/00004.gif

Quote: vbfg "Absolute gibberish.'"

You could always use the full quote which is correct but if you used the full quote you would not be able to make yourself look clever.

Do you feel better now.

although i should have added that different countries regard the etiquette in different ways.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member28357
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
973_1515165968.gif
Last edited by Ferocious Aardvark on stardate Jun 26, 3013 11:27 am, edited 48,562,867,458,300,023 times in total:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_973.gif

"Doctor" is an academic title, derived from Latin, specifically the Latin verb "to teach" (docere)

It is a bit strange how many people have ised it into thinking it means a medical doctor, but in England in common usage that's where we are, however, a "real" doctor is a more difficult qualification than a medical doctor - a doctorate is the top academic qualification, whereas a medical doctor will normally be at the bottom, Bachelor, level.

I don't see any issue with a real doctor with a real doctorate using the title "doctor", but I suppose the issue revealed in this thread is that somehow a medical doctor is viewed in higher esteem by some than any other, real, doctorate, presumably because for some people a medical doctor has some near-mystical powers and so they think if anyone else calls themself a "doctor" they are trying to get the perceived kudos of people believing they are a medical doctor.

Ironic that"Doctor" isn't even that crash hot a moniker from a medical doctor's point of view: the accolade they aspire to is to actually lose the "doctor" and become a "Mr." I find it odd that nobody complains that top consultants are impersonating plain Joe Green by "pretending" to be a plain "Mr." when they are in fact a high end medical doctor. It would make about as much sense.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator12614
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33809_1522680904.png
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_33809.png

Quote: Ferocious Aardvark ""Doctor" is an academic title, derived from Latin, specifically the Latin verb "to teach" (docere)

It is a bit strange how many people have ised it into thinking it means a medical doctor, but in England in common usage that's where we are, however, a "real" doctor is a more difficult qualification than a medical doctor - a doctorate is the top academic qualification, whereas a medical doctor will normally be at the bottom, Bachelor, level.

I don't see any issue with a real doctor with a real doctorate using the title "doctor", but I suppose the issue revealed in this thread is that somehow a medical doctor is viewed in higher esteem by some than any other, real, doctorate, presumably because for some people a medical doctor has some near-mystical powers and so they think if anyone else calls themself a "doctor" they are trying to get the perceived kudos of people believing they are a medical doctor.

Ironic that"Doctor" isn't even that crash hot a moniker from a medical doctor's point of view

I thought it was surgeons rather than consultants that switched back to Mr.? Or Mrs/Ms/Miss. Snobbery is everywhere though. I've heard other senior clinicians refer to surgeons as meat technicians a couple of times. And FCA, pfft - just sums, innit? icon_wink.gif

Isn't it a bit weird that somebody like Sheens would be willing to wait on this as a reserve option?

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman7594
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021May 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8_1434361123.jpg
When my club didn't exist it was still bigger than yours:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_8.jpg

Quote: Durham Giant "You could always use the full quote which is correct '"

It is? Where is the study? Where are the results? What was the method?

Quote: Durham Giant "but if you used the full quote you would not be able to make yourself look clever.'"

It'd be less effort to stand next to you with my mouth shut. I cut the guff without changing the meaning, but since you insistVery few Phd's use the title Dr outside of academia it is seen as being a bit pretentious otherwise.'"

Absolute gibberish. It may be your personal experience but it is very far from mine. I have worked with many PhDs both in and outside academia and come across very few who don't use their title in their professional lives.. The only person I knew to be a PhD who didn't use it professionally was a former partner of mine and she only did it because she preferred to be underestimated.

I'd accept it if you'd drawn the difference between the personal and professional life, but to say that PhDs don't use their titles is nonsensical. Many do, many don't.

It says nothing at all about a Koukash most of us only know through the press, and who himself became known because of his professional life, that he has become known to RL fans as "the doctor".

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner1642No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2015Apr 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: The Devil's Advocate "
Tim Sheens!

What’s he waiting for, kick Nobby to the curb I say, an antipodean dinosaur is obviously better than a British one.'"

Quote: The Devil's Advocate "
Isn't it a bit weird that somebody like Sheens would be willing to wait on this as a reserve option?'"

Steady on, kids. The source for this was the Manchester Evening News, colloquially known as the Manchester Evening Speculator. Their [imodus operandi[/i when it comes to Rugby League is to randomly throw names and stories around. Some hit, some miss.

The man Marwan wants for the job is Brian Noble, and he is prepared to wait. For now.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member28357
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
973_1515165968.gif
Last edited by Ferocious Aardvark on stardate Jun 26, 3013 11:27 am, edited 48,562,867,458,300,023 times in total:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_973.gif

So to sum up, Koukash thinks Noble is gash at his existing job, but is simultaneously THE best man on the planet for this new job. Why, he's even better than some world renowned rugby league god who is a household name but would still only be second best to Noble.

It makes perfect sense to me.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator12488No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Mar 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
disney/00004.gif
Huddersfield Giants 2013 over achievers Huddersfield Giants 2014 under achievers ??????????:disney/00004.gif

Quote: vbfg "

SNIP

I'd accept it if you'd drawn the difference between the personal and professional life, but to say that PhDs don't use their titles is nonsensical. Many do, many don't.

'"

If you had used the full quotes you would se that i said they tend to use it

Very few Phd's use the title Dr outside of academia it is seen as being a bit pretentious otherwise.

You might use it in a relevant enviroment such as work specifically related to say Engineering work eg like Marwan would use his doctorate in Engineering when engaging in Engineering type work or discussions. As i understand it he does not use it in everyday life.

So i stated they use it in academia or in a relevant work enviroment . Very few use it as a general moniker outside of these two specific enviroments.

Wow i am impressed you went out with someone who had a Phd.

My wife is a Dr with both a medical doctorate and and a Phd doctorate. If you insist maybe i will start introducing my wife as Doctor doctor. All the other Phd's i know do not use the title Dr except in very specific circumstances. When doing a CV for a job, publictations, lecturing / training. When applying for a bank loan or signing a court statement. NOt one of them ever uses it when booking a plane ticket to avoid being collared at 30,000 feet with a medical emergency.

If you look at etiquette in Britain very very few with Phds use the title doctor outside of specific enviroments as a i said academia or WORK . a quick google search would show this. ( outside of the Uk it is very different ie in mainland euprope and the US).

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner1642No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2015Apr 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Ferocious Aardvark "So to sum up, Koukash thinks Noble is gash at his existing job, but is simultaneously THE best man on the planet for this new job. Why, he's even better than some world renowned rugby league god who is a household name but would still only be second best to Noble.

It makes perfect sense to me.'"

Yes. That absolutely [imust[/i be it.

Another way of looking at it is that during the process of freshening up the coaching staff - a process which involved speaking to Iestyn Harris with a view to him becoming assistant to Brian Noble - Marwan realised that Nobby's skills and experience could be better employed in a much broader role within the club, a role similar to that previously occupied by Graham Lowe, but with a broader remit.

He views this role as essential and so, as any competent businessman would, has a contingency plan in place in case Nobby declines the offer. The Manchester Evening News has speculated that this involves Tim Sheens.

Doesn't sound quite so daft when you express it that way, does it?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8991
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47035_1386433761.gif
We can be bold enough to make a stand and do battle for our views and beliefs. But we must strive to be mature enough not to resort to unnecessary personal attacks upon people with opposing views.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47035.gif

You may all bow down and call me Lord.

Anyone asking how I earned the title, it was by the due process of winning a game of Catan.

I will allow the unwashed to stoop to using Sir, if they cannot remember which title I wish to bistow upon myself tomorrow.

Personally I like the title 'The Good Dr.' I think he should copyright it before some other upstart tries to pinch it like they did his name on twitter.

84 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
84 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.66064453125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Bradford
BigTime
11m
Cas
BigTime
15m
Lewis Murphy
jonh
26m
TV Games - Not Hull
Large Paws
31m
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
32m
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
56m
SL CHAT THREAD OTHER TEAMS GAMES
The Biffs Ba
Recent
Shopping list for 2025
Jake the Peg
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
weaver93
57s
Anyone know about wfd v batley
Redscat
1m
SL CHAT THREAD OTHER TEAMS GAMES
The Biffs Ba
1m
Lewis Murphy
jonh
1m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
1m
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
1m
Bradford Away 140724
Luppylad
1m
Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
The Yellow G
2m
Sackings
SFW
2m
Squad 2024
Listenup94
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Wigan Warriors Extend League Lead with Derby Win
RLFANS News
TODAY
Toulouse game
REDWHITEANDB
TODAY
Ashton extends contract
chris2925
TODAY
Damel Diakhate
Eastern Wild
TODAY
Sackings
SFW
TODAY
Warrington Wolves Into Second With Win Over Leeds
RLFANS News
TODAY
Tonights game v Leeds
karetaker
TODAY
Watson toast
FIL
TODAY
Watson Been Stood Down
Deeeekos
TODAY
Watson gone
Jo Jumbuck
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Giants
doc999
TODAY
Just makes me laugh
Wildmoggy
TODAY
Anyone know about wfd v batley
Redscat
TODAY
Bradford
BigTime
TODAY
One more Saints inspired novel
glee
TODAY
Bradford Away 140724
Luppylad
TODAY
Fax v Fev
The Phantom
TODAY
Cas
BigTime
TODAY
Round 17 Warrington Away
Loiner at la
TODAY
Saints h
moto748
TODAY
For the live of god Arthur out
christopher
TODAY
Arthur In
Tex Rerp
TODAY
Wakefield H
Bullseye
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Wigan Warriors Extend League L..
Warrington Wolves Into Second ..
Salford Hold On To Beat Unluck..
Lucky Leeds Golden Point Win O..
Wigan Beat Leigh in Derby Thri..
Wakefield Trinity Register Thi..
Englands Youngsters Beat Franc..
Big Win for England Women Over..
2024 State of Origin - Game 2 ..
New Structure for 2025 Challen..
Super League form rewarded as ..
Superb Salford Complete Histor..
Catalans Dragons Survive Secon..
Warrington Wolves Snatch Late ..
Spirit of Rob Burrow Inspires ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.6M 2,810 ↓-3880,08514,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R19
08:30
Gold Coast
v
Parramatta
10:35
Brisbane
v
St.George
     Womens Super League 2024-R8
12:00
York V
v
FeatherstoneW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R17
15:00
Hull FC
v
Hull KR
Leigh
v
Huddersfield
       Championship 2024-R15
Whitehaven
v
Toulouse
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R17
17:30
Catalans
v
Salford
 TOMORROW
12:00
Wire W
v
LeedsW
       League One 2024-R15
14:00
Newcastle
v
Hunslet
14:00
Hudds W
v
BarrowW
       Championship 2024-R15
Batley
v
Barrow
Bradford
v
Wakefield
Halifax
v
Featherstone
Sheffield
v
Swinton
Widnes
v
Dewsbury
York
v
Doncaster
       League One 2024-R15
Oldham
v
Crusaders
Workington
v
Rochdale
     National Rugby League 2024-R19
17:05
Manly
v
Newcastle
 Wed 17th Jul
     State of Origin 2023-R3
11:05
Queensland
v
New South Wales
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sat 13th Jul
SL
Hull FC-Hull KR
SL
Leigh-Huddersfield
SL
17:30
Catalans-Salford
Wed 17th Jul
SOO
11:05
Queensland-New South Wales
Sat 17th Aug
SL
18:00
Warrington-Leeds
SL
15:30
Wigan-St.Helens
SL
13:00
Hull FC-LondonB
Sun 18th Aug
SL
13:00
Leigh-Salford
SL
15:30
Catalans-Hull KR
SL
18:00
Huddersfield-Castleford
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Fri 12th Jul
NRL 19 Cronulla58-6Wests
SL 17 LondonB20-34Castleford
WSL2024 8 WiganW12-16St.HelensW
SL 17 Wigan16-12St.Helens
Thu 11th Jul
NRL 19 Dolphins36-28Souths
SL 17 Warrington30-18Leeds
Sun 7th Jul
NRL 18 Sydney42-12St.George
NRL 18 Canberra12-16Newcastle
SL 16 Salford22-20Hull FC
CH 14 Dewsbury16-20Doncaster
CH 14 Featherstone66-0Whitehaven
CH 14 Swinton24-12Widnes
CH 14 Wakefield34-12Batley
CH 14 York54-12Barrow
L1 14 Newcastle0-44Workington
L1 14 Crusaders18-32Midlands
L1 14 Keighley20-20Rochdale
WSL2024 7 Wire W10-32Hudds W
WSL2024 7 York V44-0BarrowW
Sat 6th Jul
NRL 18 Canterbury13-12NZ Warriors
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 16 443 182 261 28
Warrington 17 436 231 205 24
St.Helens 17 441 186 255 22
Hull KR 16 397 217 180 22
Salford 16 317 308 9 22
Catalans 16 304 234 70 20

Leeds 17 309 316 -7 18
Huddersfield 16 298 365 -67 12
Leigh 15 270 250 20 11
Castleford 17 280 455 -175 11
Hull FC 16 218 496 -278 4
LondonB 17 176 649 -473 2
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 12 450 142 308 24
Sheffield 11 306 186 120 16
Bradford 12 303 206 97 16
Widnes 12 299 221 78 15
Toulouse 10 276 174 102 12
Featherstone 12 330 263 67 12

Batley 11 181 234 -53 10
Whitehaven 12 248 320 -72 10
Doncaster 12 219 317 -98 9
York 12 241 251 -10 8